BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Jon Hood to Break Spectator and Overall Wins Record?

I did a post during my first stretch here at KSR seeing which player in UK history has seen the most wins in their career……without getting on the floor.  Essentially I was researching which player WATCHED more wins than any other player without contributing in those wins.  Some players benefited from redshirt years, such as Jon Hood, who was benched by injury for the national title year, and 38 wins.  Other players were just walk-ons and thus didn’t get to see the floor very often.  But the list gave you a good idea of which players had a pretty nice ride at Kentucky.  Lots of wins with not much pressure to play.

But, it is an interesting idea.  What player has seen the most wins from the sidelines without playing in UK history?  I went all the way back to 1965 and forward, and compiled this list.  Many players you will recognize, and some you won’t.  Listed are players who witnessed 40 or more wins in their career when on the roster, but did not participate in those wins.

Preston LeMaster: 78 wins
Matt Heissenbuttel: 71 wins
Chris Gettelfinger: 71 wins
Jon Hood: 68 wins (Frosh: 19, Soph: 3, RS Soph: 38, Junior: 8)
Steve Masiello: 56 wins
Jared Carter: 55 wins
Cameron Mills: 55 wins
Jonathon Davis: 54 wins
Bill Busey: 52 wins
Tom Heitz: 50 wins
Mark Krebs: 47 wins
Leroy Byrd: 47 wins
Art Laib: 47 wins
Chris Harrison: 46 wins
Clint Wheeler: 46 wins
Jarrod Polson: 42 wins  (Frosh: 15, Soph: 27, Junior: 0)
Todd Tackett: 41 wins

So, could Jon Hood not see the floor in 11 wins this season?  If so, he can break that record.  But, could Hood also break the all-time wins record as well?  Here is the list, as best as I could compile, of the top wins leaders in UK history.  For this list, I included a player’s redshirt year, if he had one:

Jeff Sheppard: 159 (124 wins if you don’t count his redshirt year)
Jared Prickett: 155 (121 wins if you don’t count his redshirt year)
Wayne Turner: 132
Ralph Beard: 130
Wah Wah Jones: 130
Scott Padgett: 128 (not on roster for the 95-96 season, so not given credit for those wins)
Jim Line: 127
Dale Barnstable: 127
Darius Miller: 124
Anthony Epps: 124
Alex Groza: 124
Jon Hood: 123

Will Kentucky see a 37 win season?  If so, as hard as is it to believe, Jon Hood will have been on roster for more wins than any other player in UK history.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

16 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Jon Hood to Break Spectator and Overall Wins Record?

1. kdh
    9:08 am August 7, 2013 Permalink

Thanks BTI. That was sincere, incidentally. I would also be interested in the potential number of NBA players Hood as played with over his 5 years.

2. Elroy Farkas
    9:14 am August 7, 2013 Permalink

Sey vot?

3. Longbow
    9:34 am August 7, 2013 Permalink

I hope he breaks the record as long as he isn’t injured. I wish that on no one. I just freak when he gets on the court. He’s terrible.

4. Alfredo
    9:36 am August 7, 2013 Permalink

It is August 7, where are them twins at?

5. @4
    9:50 am August 7, 2013 Permalink

school doesn’t start till around or at the 20th of August last time I checked.

6. Longbow Truth
    9:53 am August 7, 2013 Permalink

Really Longbow? What has he done to be terrible? Not go to the NBA after a year? Grow up

7. DH
    9:56 am August 7, 2013 Permalink

3) I’m with you. He’s a Wildcat for life, but he makes me really nervous. Even though he did some good things when he played last year, and I think his experience will be valuable this season, I just don’t feel comfortable when he’s playing. If he doesn’t break the record, then I assume that means he’s playing well enough to earn PT, and that would make me happy, too.

8. UKFaniac
    10:02 am August 7, 2013 Permalink

The Lake Beard approves!!!

9. ChicagoCat
    10:05 am August 7, 2013 Permalink

This is interesting but I really tend to disagree with counting redshirt seasons in the total wins column. Technically, you are not a part of the active roster and cannot play in the game even if you are sitting on the bench.

10. me
    10:56 am August 7, 2013 Permalink

#7 – Hood IS terrible, objectively. I’m sure he’s a great guy, and his basketball skills are probably in the 99th percentile of the human population. But, he’s terrible compared to the rest of our players – as evidenced by his watching 68 wins from the bench.

#10 – Reshirted players are allowed to practice and travel with the team, and dress for games. As far as I can tell, they can actually be put into a game at any time, but if so they lose their redshirt designation.

11. tltaworl
    11:08 am August 7, 2013 Permalink

11. You are correct. They can burn that redshirt at anytime.

12. brain
    12:56 pm August 7, 2013 Permalink

Red shirt years don’t count.

13. SeaCat
    1:05 pm August 7, 2013 Permalink

Who recruited Hood?
    Cal? or Billy?

14. bung
    1:12 pm August 7, 2013 Permalink

anybody that watched hood play at the end of the season could see we would have had a better year if he had played more…

15. yttp
    1:50 pm August 7, 2013 Permalink

Hood is a feel good player for the state. Ky boy going to Uk… let the young man enjoy his last year without the critics. I really wish the site wouldn’t put up articles about him because bashing is always the end topic. What if he was your son,grandson,cousin etc and you knew he was reading such. It would Sting if you are human.

16. blueman
    3:20 pm August 7, 2013 Permalink

I agree with 16. He was ranked in the top 50 kids coming out of high school. The KY people did not invoke that rating so the folks who do the national rankings apparently thought he could play. Also, Look at who he’s played with and tell me how many other players might not have to set. I really think the article by Bryan is in somewhat poor taste. I doubt Jon or any of his people particularly cares to be reminded of how much he has had to set the bench. I actually think he could have played a lot more last year and can play some this year