BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Everybody has a Story, what is yours?

When you have a fanbase as passionate and obsessed as the one we participate in, you compile a lot of memories.  Some of them good andsome of them bad.  Sometimes the memories are more powerful after losses than wins.  Nonetheless, many people in this state have some of their greatest life moments revolving around this college sports program.  But sometimes the story isn’t just about the joy of victory or the agony of defeat.  Sometimes it is the “extracurricular” activities that give us our greatest stories.  I want to know what your unique UK experience/story is.  You can either put it in the comments section or email it to me at [email protected].  And throughout the week, and maybe more if I get more stories, I will put your story on the site.  Doesn’t have to be long, and doesn’t have to be some inspirational piece.  Just needs to be something unique to you connected to UK.  Here is mine:

November 28, 2003: Kentucky is preparing for its 2nd game of the 03-04 season against Tennessee Tech.  A top 10 team coming off an amazing season, the tide had seemed to turn for Tubby Smith and his tenure.  But the one question that year was who was going to replace Keith Bogans as the star of the team.  At the same time, I was just a college freshman, who at that time have never attended a game at Rupp Arena.  And it was certainly I wanted to mark off my list of things to do.  Lucky for me, I had found a friend at WKU named Paige who had 2 key things: a big time love of UK basketball and a relative with UK season tickets.  Because it was an early season game and Thanksgiving weekend, she got a call that she had 2 tickets to that game.  And knowing my situation never having gone to a game, she came to me first and we were on the road to the game.  Unfortunately, that road happened to be snow and ice that night.  Which meant we slipped and slide all the way to Lexington, but made it just in time.

And by just in time, I mean that we made it just in time to get to the will call window to realize that Paige’s relative did NOT leave us the tickets.  Phone calls were made, or at least attempted calls were made.  Safe to say, things did not work out well, and Paige and I stood there as 23,000 fans filed into Rupp for the game, and we filled in to the street.  Devastating for both of us, but we decided to find a place to watch the game and eat.  And this is where is gets kinda funny.  Because Paige’s absolute favorite player was Gerald Fitch.  LOVED HIM.  Like Fat Albert love Skittles.  Anyway, we sat in that restaurantas Fitch proceeded to score 36 points.  AKA his career high.  Despite the fact the Cats were romping, and her favorite player was playing amazing, it was agonizing for her to watch her favorite player have his best game knowing she could have been there.  And it is safe to say I got quite a few jabs in at her expense.  The point is, at a certain point, we just began laughing at the entire ordeal we were going through.  Me missing my chance to go to Rupp and her missing her favorite player’s best game.  By the way, I did catch a game (and many others) since that time, and Paige went on to marry Fitch.  But, that night is a memory that could have become a negative experience, but at a certain point you just have to laugh at your bad luck.  And because of that, the memory remains vivid to this day.

Now, what is your memory?
_______________________________________________
Weekend Sidenote #1: Happy Birthday to Tyty Thompson, who did not get a mention yesterday about the festivities of the best female writer from Nashville on the site.  I think it shows just how sexist the writers of this site actually are.  So, let me be the gentleman and say that Tyler has been a great addition to the site after Kate Martin broke her leg dunking a basketball.  Tyler gives us good material all the time, and she always bakes the best pies andcleans up after us at the compound.
________________________________________________
Weekend Sidenote #2: Congrats to Adam and Liz Wadlingtonon their nuptials this weekend, as I was lucky enough to be involved in another UK marriage in the books.  The first time Liz met me she asked “Why do people on KSR hate you so much”.  At the end of the night, she came up to me and simply said “I get it now.”  Also was asked to give a shoutout on the site to the wedding party: Jordan Wadlington, Sean Pierce, Clayton Timmons, Justin Watson, Jake Minton, Andrew Rash, Katherine Hennessey, Holly Hart, Emily Fackler, Jessica Shoulders, Lauren Mackey, Emily Brandle, and Kelli Hagan.  Damn, that was a big wedding.  If you would like a wedding shoutout (UK weddings only), send me a picture and names to [email protected].

Article written by Bryan the Intern

25 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Everybody has a Story, what is yours?

1. Chris Edge
    9:32 am June 27, 2011 Permalink

I remember when Maryland came to Rupp Arena with Steve Francis. I had been to a few games, but was a dating a girl at the time and her family had season tickets. They chose not to go to the game and we attended. That may have been one of the greatest games at Rupp Arena ever!! The crowd was loud and intense the entire game and I remember that we did not sit down at any point during the game. UK pulled out the game and that is by far the best game that I have attended or been apart of!!

2. Ms. Tyler Thompson
    9:34 am June 27, 2011 Permalink

Thanks, BTI! Now go make me breakfast.

3. bung
    9:41 am June 27, 2011 Permalink

I was at Rupp the night King Rex Chapman fell from the sky and hurt his back. I also was honored to be introduced to the Legend, Wah Wah Jones.

4. #1 Tyler Fan
    9:44 am June 27, 2011 Permalink

Finger of shame to the other KSR writers for not wishing Ms Thompson a happy birthday. That must be why BTI gets all the hot ladies!

5. TommyLasorda
    9:50 am June 27, 2011 Permalink

Once upon a time, I’m awesome. The end.

6. Dandy Andy
    9:56 am June 27, 2011 Permalink

SEC TOURNY! BOOGIE PUT BACK!

7. RUPPS.rhetoric
    10:39 am June 27, 2011 Permalink

Back in 1986 or so I was 6 years old and I took swimming lessons at Memorial Coliseum. The pool back then was where CATS is now. A buddy of mine took lessons after me and our Moms switched picking us up and taking us. During his lesson I would often sneak into Memorial and maybe catch a glimpse of some guys playing. One day in particular Winston Bennett was in there by his self shooting around. He noticed me sitting in the bleachers watching and yelled to me to come down to the floor. He asked me if I wanted to dunk a basketball. Obviously I said yes and he picked me up and held me up to the goal and allowed me to dunk it. Lifelong UK fan ever since then! Very cool for a 6 year old indeed!

8. Cal Naughton, Jr
    10:40 am June 27, 2011 Permalink

Beating LSU in the greatest overtime match up ever in commonwealth, with me in the front row, and I’m hammered drunk.

9. CaliUKFan
    10:42 am June 27, 2011 Permalink

#5 lol (I concur)

Anyway, unlike my diehard UK fans, I grew up in California and rooted for our CATS from afar. My family came from a small coal mining town in Eastern Kentucky (Lynch) and much of my immediate family went to UK including my uncle who was one of the first African Americans to attend the school. So, I was raised a UK fan from childhood.

Since I grew up in Cali I never had the chance to attend a UK game. However, in 1997, UK drew the West Region and my hometown San Jose. I was ecstatic! My mom, a UK alum, rushed over to San Jose Arena and bought us two tickets for the Regional Final against Utah. Unfortunately we were split up but I didn’t care — after 15 years on this earth I finally was able to attend a UK game.

We both sat in the noseblead sections. Although my mom was stuck with the Utes fanbase, I got the good ticket and sat with my fellow UK fans and watched the UK fighting Ron Mercer’s (Beisner shoutout) defeat the Utah fighting Keith Van Horn’s 72-59 to book a place in our second consecutive final four.

We won’t discuss the rest of the tournament as one of my best friend’s and Zona fan still gives me hell to this day.

I eventually attended numerous UK games as a student at Morehouse in Atlanta and my first game at Rupp came in 2005 against South Carolina with my cousin (a UK grad).

10. joe
    10:42 am June 27, 2011 Permalink

been a fan since i was 7 my first game i watched was the duke uk 92 debacle. was given tickets to the vandy game we lost in rupp for the first time in 20 + plus years for christmas that year, really want to see another in rupp but im 0-2 the second game i watched was tennesee in 2005 lost that one too

11. sppierce
    10:49 am June 27, 2011 Permalink

BTI, all I have to say is, “THESE HANDS”!!!!!

12. Bledsoe's Biceps
    10:58 am June 27, 2011 Permalink

Many great memories but two that stand out.

1) I was one of the thousands who left early when 10th ranked UK made a late come back to send the game to OT and beat 5th ranked Kansas in OT. It was early December 1978. Then to add insult to injury, as I get to my car I hear people yelling it was going to OT. But the locks had frozen on my car and I can’t get in to listen to Caywood call the OT. So I’m heating my key with a lighter and putting it in the lock to get it to thaw. By the time I got in the car the game was over. Served me right for giving up on the Cats and leaving before the game was over.

2) I was very lucky to get 4 front row seats for the UK2K game. Two right behind the UK bench and two near Joe B Hall’s seats. A very memorable night for me, my daughter, her friend and my niece. Best seats I’ve ever had and for one of the great moments in UK history.

13. Beth
    11:00 am June 27, 2011 Permalink

A Big Blue memory that i will never forget involves my six year old daughter, 5 at the time. Like most, she was particular fond of our 2009-2010 basketball team and had a difficult time grasping that so many of her “favorites” would not be returning for another season at UK. On the way home from the monumental first day of Kindergarten, she sighs in the backseat and says ” i sure miss John Wall”. That’s where her mind was on the first day of kindergarten, UK basketball!

14. Ted
    11:08 am June 27, 2011 Permalink

I went on a college visit to UK the night they played Tennessee to win their 1900th victory. I watched the game in a hotel with my Mom, a UK alum and that’s when I I decided I wanted to go to UK and if they could only average 25 wins a season while I was in college I’d get to see them win 2000 my senior year. But a funny thing happened on the way to my degree and 2000 wins…we both fell short of the 4 year goal and so while I didn’t get to see win 2000 4 years later, we both kicked it into high gear in year 5 and managed to drag ourselves over the finish line. I’ve got the ticket stub, front page picture from the Kernel, and a UK2K shirt in a frame in my house. But I still haven’t gotten around to framing the diploma…

15. iWantToGrowUpToBeTheDrewFranklin
    11:20 am June 27, 2011 Permalink

She went on to marry Gerald Fitch??

16. bung
    11:43 am June 27, 2011 Permalink

17. C_Lee
    11:51 am June 27, 2011 Permalink

I was a die hard UK fan attending EKU. A friend and I decided to travel to KNoxville to watch the vols and cats. I was going to pick up tickets from UK but my girlfriends brother in law called and said he would get us great seats with his connections as a car dealer in Knoxville. SO we headed out the day of the game and dropped my girl off at her sisters. We get to the arena and we are running a little behind (car dealer wouldnt get out of the shower whe we get there). Parking was atrocious. We came upon a secured lot where a guard told us we could park even though i was sporting a new car with UK vanity plates and a mirrored UK plate on the front. We enter the game and find our great seats (BEHIND THE RCA BIG SCREEN). So my friend and I left the brother in law in the great seats and stood in the handicapped section as we watched UK beat the Vols including a fight involving Jamal Magloire and some Tenn thug. It was awesome. We exited the building to find my car had been keyed and the UK plate laying on top of the car….the guard saw nothing. After all that it was still a great experience watching the boys whip up on the dirty orange

18. Jmet80
    12:22 pm June 27, 2011 Permalink

My favorite UK memory, I was at the Maui Classic last year waiting in the pregame area for the prior game to be over. I had gone for a minute anmd when I came back my wife was talking to these two ladies at the table next to ours. My wife came back to the table and I strolled over to say hello. I asked where they were from and one of the Ladies said Portland, Or. I was thrilled to find out it was Terrence Jones mother. we talked for about 5 mins about Terrence’s decision to change his mind and come to Ky. I told her I was glad he changed his mind and she said that she was too.. She was a very gracious lady and I am sure a part of the reason he came back.. She also said He got a lot of stuff from friends when he changed his mind..Its hard to think of these guys as just kids but thats all they are.. And I will never forget that moment

19. UKeith26
    12:46 pm June 27, 2011 Permalink

I was born a UK fan but I went to NCSU because I couldn’t afford out of state tuition. As a junior during the 2010 season I went to UK for a year during the John Wall season with the National Student Exchange. (Awesome memories) but the program lasted a year and I had to come back. I did go to the UNC game @UNC. Over Xmas break my high school friend who went to Duke asked me to come to a Duke game. he said that most students are out of town, and he could get me in using his girlfriends ID. I planned to take a picture of myself with a ‘Free Enes’ shirt and send it into KSR. we actually met a guy there who was planning to do the same thing. instead of having to send in a picture, i got on TV and got a ‘hate blog’ written about me! fun stuff!

20. Nolecat21
    12:59 pm June 27, 2011 Permalink

My memory is from the Jan 13th, 2001 game when UK took on #25 Notre Dame led by Troy Murphy. I watched this entire game while my wife was in labor next to me at the hospital. Funny thing was, the doctor kept coming in to check on her during tv timeouts. It took me a while to pick up on this, but when I did, I asked if he was a UK fan. To which he replied by pointing out the empty seats 2 rows back from courtside that were his. The game ended with a UK victory and shortly after the birth of my baby girl. A great day all around.

21. Mags Bennett
    2:12 pm June 27, 2011 Permalink

I call b.s., BTI has never been alone in a car with a woman, nor does he have any friends who are female. The proof is in the pudding BTI, give us pictures or we don’t believe your lies.

22. NoOne
    2:41 pm June 27, 2011 Permalink

I was an Ensign in the Navy on a deployment in March 1998. All my civilian attire, ballcap, golf clubs, polos, t-shirts all said UK. This was about all the Commanding Officer knew about me. I was working 20 hour days doing my job and the Operations Officer’s for about 3 months from February to April. It was insane the work pace and fatigue and I lived my days by the evolution. I couldn’t tell anyone anything going on in the world but what we had to get done. One early morning, around 0800, I got called to the Executive Officer’s stateroom. I figured it was for something else I had missed. Nope, the XO was from Tennessee and had told the CO the best gift he could give to me for my extra hard work was to tune in to the 1998 Championship game (somehow) and let me listen to it. I sat there with the XO for the entire game and even got to be normal again for a short while. I did also get recognized for the work (medal) but the game is what I really remember.

23. yorkinson
    4:01 pm June 27, 2011 Permalink

In January 1987 I was in Lexington for a meeting and I did not have a ticket to that nights UK-Alabama game. I talked to Mr. Frank Nichols, a banker from Benton. Frank had a lot of connections and I asked if he could get me a ticket. He said to catch him at the Hyatt before the game and he would have something for me. I met with Frank and he told me “well I got you in the door, but that is all”. I told him that all I wanted was to get in the building and that any seat would be fine. I walked into Rupp and found my section and started walking down and down and down. My ticket was for the very front row, and I sat down and marveled at what a great seat I had. The man on my left asked how I was and I turned and looked and it was Coach Joe B. Hall. The only down side to this great seat was that Alabama put a huge beatdown on the Cats that night. This story has a special significance for me as my friend, Frank Nichols, died this last week.

24. CMSmile
    5:06 pm June 27, 2011 Permalink

As a wedding DJ, this past Saturday I had the groom surprise his bride by having me play the UK Fight Song immediately after they were presented to the crowd as married. Later, I played Happy Chandler’s version of My Old Kentucky Home for them. #HitchedBlue.

25. oljack
    5:56 pm June 27, 2011 Permalink

I was fortunate to be at the 1958 NCAA finals the year Kentucky beat Seattle and Elgin Baylor for the title. I will never forget that when the Cats ran onto the floor after warming up and prior to the start of the game, the Louisville Cardinal’s football team formed two lines making the players run between the lines. The classless Cardinal football players booed and waved white towels as the Cats ran by and continued to cheer against them the entire game. As a result, my second favorite team has always been whoever is playing Louisville in any sport.