BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Do we even realize how great Cal is?

broken-records-lies

Yesterday, I applauded the amazing success John Calipari has had at Rupp Arena in his almost 2 seasons at Lexington.  In case you didn’t read it, Cal has won all 25 games at Rupp, leaving him just 8 wins shy of the Rupp Arena home court winning streak record.  But really, the amazing Cal stats just don’t stop there.  Below are some the records he currently holds:

Longest Winning Streak to Start Career

John Calipari: 25-0
Eddie Sutton: 24-1
Joe B. Hall: 23-2
Rick Pitino: 23-2
Tubby Smith: 21-4
Billy Gillispie: 19-6

Record Against Rivals (UL, UNC, IU, and UT)
John Calipari: 7-2 (77.8%)
Adolph Rupp: 84-30 (73.7%)
Rick Pitino: 25-11 (69.4%)
Tubby Smith: 33-15 (68.8%)
Eddie Sutton: 11-5 (68.8%)
Joe B. Hall: 22-31 (41.5%)
Billy Gillispie: 4-6 (40.0%)

And honestly, these are just the ones that I could add up quickly.  The list could go on and on of how John Calipari is reshaping the level of winning in Lexington.  In fact, he is currently winning at a pace greater than Rick Pitino.  Now, he certainly will need to find some wins in March to be considered at the level of Pitino or Rupp, but for his first 52 games, there is no comparison to what Cal has done to any other coach in at UK.  Truly amazing.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

75 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Do we even realize how great Cal is?

1. JROD
    10:05 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

Think someone didn’t like you borrowing their picture.

2. HST
    10:05 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

BRING fail?

3. HST
    10:05 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

BTI fail? lulz

4. ThankfulCat
    10:08 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

louisville must have a small weiner

5. Don Quixote
    10:09 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

The comments section for BTI posts are starting to resemble that of Penelope Trunk.

6. pilots&errors
    10:11 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

truly is amazing. I am def living in (and enjoying) the moment in which Cal is here but whenever he decides to leave I hope we are able to have a quality hire to replace him and keep some of the momentum going.

7. billy
    10:15 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

Looks like Calipari is doing a better job than the great Rupp. And this with better players around the country on other teams. In Rupps time most players were slow and skinny. And the SEC was pretty bad as a whole.

8. Saul Smith
    10:18 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

When asked if he had any parting advice for the new coach coming in at KY, he said, “Don’t win too much too eary.” – Orlando Tubby Smith

9. RidgeRunner
    10:18 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

6…I have to admit as well, that my concern somewhat is: How can we keep him 10+ years? Granted, all is warm & fuzzy now as he is just settling into year 2 and has time and time again said he “is fortunate to be at UK”. But yeah, we are fortunate to have him and keeping him is in the back of my mind.

10. steviesdroppedtdcostmeagrand
    10:20 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

#9. we are kentucky

11. Cal Purnell here
    10:21 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

Nice…and he didn’t even win SEC Coach of the Yr. last season. The guy
    who won it must be really awesome.

12. CatfaninTX
    10:21 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

The “best 1st season record” is seriously misleading. Tubby had the best first season ever with a national championship. And before the attacks begin, I’m no Tubby apologist. I’m glad he moved on and overjoyed that we have Cal as our coach. The “best 1st season record” should be tossed.

13. big blue
    10:21 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

Thanks for another pointless post BTI, tell us something slightly more obvious, like Joker Phillips is the coach of the football team.

14. Double Bacon Six Cheese
    10:21 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

Let’s not forget the situation our program was in when Pitino took over. He resurrected our program after it was ravaged by the first drunk.

15. Bryan the Intern
    10:23 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

13) You’re welcome.

16. Gramps
    10:25 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

13) It was so pointless that you read it and then took your time to comment. When I see things that are pointless, I tend to ignore them. You did the opposite.

17. catinhat
    10:25 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

Useless stats.

The biggest problem is the sample size. Tweak just ONE win/loss on some of those and the percentage changes heavily.

Second problem is the Pitino walked into Kentucky’s Shame, and they are called the Unforgettables for a reason, and those years were exciting, regardless of what the very first few of his era looked like.

All credit to Calipari on bringing in the recruits after Gillispie’s Shame however. And of course we all hope it continues. But this analysis is useless since numbers are so small.

I suspect they will look the same in a couple years, but it’s too soon to flaunt these. It’s like winning two games and talking about a streak.

18. RidgeRunner
    10:26 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

10…I hear ya & I’m with ya on that for many reasons, bud. That does help for sure!

Pitino leaving when/how he did left a bad memory and I admit that has some lingering effect on my concern. But hey, times change and in this day & time..coaching talent like his, $$, other endeavors, etc.. can really make some people who are not apart of our kentucky-heritage, do some funny things.

It just sure would be nice in the next 2 or 3 years for Cal to say, “I’d like to retire as UK Coach, if they’ll have me”.

19. Go Cats
    10:27 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

Catinhat

Disagree– A year and a third is plenty of data. This is a testament to Cal’s recruiting ability. We’re talking fifty games, not two.

20. steviesdroppedtdcostmeagrand
    10:28 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

let’s free enes already

21. big blue
    10:28 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

16.) I’m bored at work, give me a break, I just like getting BTI all fired up

22. Throckmorton
    10:29 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

just more evidence that Cal IS “da man”.

23. RPI
    10:32 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

A whopping 47% of The Vacater’s wins through his first 50 games have come against teams outside the RPI Top 100. There’s a record that will never be touched here.

24. Big Blue 66
    10:33 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

I actually have to stand up for ricky 3 stacks on the first 25 games in rupp, my goodness he inherited probation and what was left over from defections…got to hand it to him for defending the home turf through that period.

25. 19-6?
    10:33 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

That muthaF……

26. iamblue1
    10:34 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

I understand the whole joke about “BTI SUCKS” and blah blah blah, but some you you guys need to show some more respect. I know writing for free and listening to the douchebags on here would be more than I could handle.

27. Weezer
    10:34 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

It also doesn’t take into account how good the opponents were. BTI would be the easiest person on earth to hustle, just come at him with a bunch of numbers and he’d drool all over himself and give you everything!

28. Big Blue 66
    10:36 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

23. I guess that makes an even more compelling argument that Cal is awesome, 57% of his first 50 wins are in the top 100 rpi!

29. Maybe?
    10:38 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

Cal still coaches in the SEC, right? OK, not as impressive.

30. Bryan the Intern
    10:39 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

27) Are you saying the level of opponent that Tubby faced was better than what Cal has faced. The SEC was not much better for Tubby. And the non-conference is the same for both guys. So, what’s your point?

31. catinhat
    10:42 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

19 – well, it’s your right! Three is getting close imo, but if you change just one game on the rivals, for instance, he goes to third from the bottom of the pile at 66%, behind Sutton.

Like I said, I think that in three or four seasons it will looks similar. I truly believe that, not being a negative nancy. I’m just saying that if you look at his as an outsider, or try to take this as “proof” to a fan from another conference/school, it’s just not enough, it’s too open to debate since we’re so early into it. “Lightening in the bottle” “couldn’t close the deal” etc etc.

Again, I BELIEVE it will continue. I personally won’t call two wins a streak, so to speak. I hear you, though.

32. RidgeRunner
    10:44 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

25…LOL

How such few words (or at least the start of a word) runs thru all of our minds. Perfect!

33. bearded gnome
    10:45 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

No way to deny that Cal has done a great job. BCG had been a train wreck. We go from NIT to having a legit chance at winning it all in 1 year. The talent that Cal can get is unbelievable. AND getting said talent to play as a team. That speaks volumes.

34. Al's IndiCats
    10:45 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

Lest we forget about all the other things some of these coaches did for us off the court…..
    1) Pitino brought us back to the elitist status that both Coaches Rupp and Hall kept us in, I’m not a fan of his since he left for Boston with telling everyone he wasn’t going anywhere.
    2) Tubby won the NC his very first year, beating Duke, bringing in Prince, Hayes, Rondo, and don’t bogart that Doob Saul.
    3) I can honestly say that Joe B. is a Kentuckian, he got it. Followed a ledgend and succeeded.
    4) Sutton made so many trips to the Betty Ford Clinic, that after he got off the wagon..”he had to crawl to Kentucky”
    5) Clyde, Patrick Patterson, made mid-night golf the sport it is today.
    6) What can you say about Cal? The relief effort in Haiti, going all the way up to Indy to drop in on a very sick Cat fan. But most of all brought back all the excitment that Cat fans will remember for the rest of their lives.

35. bearded gnome
    10:48 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

Oh, and the whole SEC is down, bad, sucks. I don’t buy it. SEC, BE, ACC all bring there ‘A’ game when they play UK. SEC has had its share of titles in the past 10-15 years. All conferences have up/down swings with particular schools dominating but other school in conference have big game potential.

36. douggercats
    10:48 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

Mark Story says we owe it all to BCG.

37. RidgeRunner
    10:55 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

35..I agree. Everyone’s superbowl as Cals has stated. This has been the case for all the coaches but I’m sure has ramped up even more now because of a quality coach addition like Cal (Pitino too especially after about 1992-93 was hated for being a top coach with a top program), All have UK circled on their calendars. But yeah, the SEC haters out there…well, I just don’t get it.

38. fish
    10:57 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

i pick things and put them down

39. RidgeRunner
    10:58 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

Free Enes (Had not been posted in awhile, just sayin’)

Continue on with the subject at hand…

40. Bundy
    10:59 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

Is it me, or does it seem like Dana Oneil is taking cheapshots at UK…for now reason…

41. Smyzo
    11:00 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

Morgan Newton will never be any good because he had poor stats as a true freshman without a spring practice playing the heart of the SEC schedule. -signed BTI

42. CatFanInOhio
    11:00 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

8. That quote should have read “Don’t win too much too early…………if you can’t recruit!”

Obviously not a problem for Cal.

43. CatFanInOhio
    11:02 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

Did anyone else skip over all of the coaches except for BCG. I made sure I took a close look at all of Clyde’s numbers because it makes this season and last season feel that much better.

44. Jared
    11:04 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

What makes those statistics even more impressive is that, unlike Tubby Smith who was handed the keys to a finely tuned machine in 97-98, Cal was given a dismantled program with a few usefull parts that he has polished,rebuilt and combined with new high performance parts to create a high powered machine. Go BIG BLUE

45. RidgeRunner
    11:04 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

40…I think we have been singled-out by ESPN a lot. If she did her homework, she would see that while we still want Kanter, we are giving high props to Jorts at the same time. Props to Jorts means we don’t give up a fight for Enes. Dana, we can multi-task, Beyotch!

46. bung
    11:04 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

Rupp was a rookie coach when he took over UK. Wonder how the others stack up on their first year coaching?

47. RidgeRunner
    11:08 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

44…Absolutely. I have to admit (it’s hard to, but), thats what made Pitino impressive as many stated in here already, he restored us from a huge mess. Cal restored us in just a slightly different way and in a much faster means. They both deserve credit for that.

48. RPI
    11:09 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

#28: Check your math. 100 – 47 = 53, not 57. Only 53% of a team’s wins coming against the RPI Top 100 is a con job.

49. RidgeRunner
    11:10 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

46, other than Hall…the rest did this outside our program and it is kinda apples & oranges to me. But someone else may think like you and find that interesting.

50. Bundy
    11:14 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

45- Exactly what I was thinking. She makes it sound like we don’t give a crap how well this team is doing or how well Josh is playing. Pure ignorance.

Also, the “drama” stereo-typing of the SEC. Every conference has these same issues…save the nationally televised Heavyweight Bout…

51. RPI
    11:16 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

I’m a jealous hater. Why else would I be here?

52. mjj2k+
    11:18 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

Some other important numbers. AFTER the first 50.

Joe B- 265-82 (76.4%)
    Sutton- 49-31 (61.3%)
    Pitino- 188-31 (85.8%)
    Tubby- 218-78 (73.6%)
    BCG- 7-10 (who cares %)

Cal has started at the top of the post-Rupp heap, and there’s no reason whatsoever to think he’s going down. Its all a matter of how long he stays, and whether he can bring home #8.

53. bung
    11:18 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

49) Gosh thanks…….so your sayin it was ok for me to post something?

54. RidgeRunner
    11:21 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

No dude, sorry. Did not mean it that way or in a derogatory way at all. Seriously.

55. YA BOY
    11:25 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

48) Whats ya boy Rick’s % against top 100 teams?

And what’s his record against Cal?

56. YA BOY
    11:26 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

51) Exactly

57. Sheeeiiiiit
    11:29 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

It’s funny how UK fans hate Rick now. And Tubby for that matter. They were both great coaches at UK. Cal is great too. But of all three Rick did the most for UK. Cal has a chance to exceed what Rick did of course. But he will have to prove that you can win a NC with young superstars first. No matter how much he wins if he wants to be equal with them he must win an NC. So while the stats are great and I love Cal’s style, for him to be in the league of UK’s great coaches he has much work to do. If he is smart he will stay here until he wins the big one. Anything else will be perceived as weak no matter how many win streaks he can claim.

58. RPI
    11:29 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

#30 – BTI, if you think last year’s team played a schedule comparable to the 1998 team, you are dreaming. The 98 team played 13 regular season and SEC tourney games against schools that made the Big Dance. The eventual seeds for those 13 teams were 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 6, 6, 6, 7, 8, 8, and 9. Run last year’s numbers and hold them up next to that and you “should” see how looney it is to suggest the 1998 and 2010 teams played comparable schedules. It isn’t even close.

59. bung
    11:30 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

No prob….thanks

60. bluesince66
    11:30 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

All those bashing espn I agree. If you’ve noticed Cal has cut them out of a lot of stuff, that’s why most of his specials are on Foxsports.

61. RidgeRunner
    11:36 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

57..I (for 1) don’t hate Tubby. I respect the man and he is a great guy I think. He needs his name in the rafters. He won a championship, great ambassador for us in ten years, and our program was left with it’s honorability. He could not recruit in todays world with our program. End of story.

Pitino gets my nod while he was here ONLY. He left us high & dry after saying he would not. Then, he went to UL of all schools. Screw him now!

62. me
    11:41 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

Ok 29, one more time. Over the last 20 years the SEC has more titles than the Big East and Big 10 combined.

63. RPI
    11:41 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

I like to argue points that no one is actually making. I’m a moron.

64. Kevin Probus
    11:47 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

100 bucks to the 1st person who finds a link to the “Don’t win too much early” comment by Tubby. You won’t find it because it is a blatant lie made up by a Tubby hater. How much of a POS do you have to be to just make up lies?

65. BigBlueFan31
    11:52 am January 7, 2011 Permalink

BTI has stepped up his game. Not only has he posted an article with no grammatical errors, but also one that is worth talking about. Hopefully, Cal will learn from Slick Rick and not want to bolt to the first NBA job that comes along. Those 5 losses feel like 10 since they were against some pretty good teams. But, we have absolutely nothing to complain about. I mean we could be Louisville…just sayin’.

66. BigBlueFan31
    12:00 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

61. Do you mean leaving us with a team that won us our 7th national title “high and dry” ? I think Tubby did a great job that year. It’s not easy to take a group of guys you didn’t recruit, no matter how talented, through the tourney to a title. But, those were Rick’s guys that won it with Tubby’s coaching. That is why I could never hate Pitino. He brought us back from a point some schools would never make it through. Plus, what better feeling is it than to beat him, at Louisville, and scream at TV, “you should have stayed here RICK!!!” (lol) Not literally. But we all say it, or at least think it. Rick was great for our program and should not be forgotten for that.

64. I am not sure if that is a direct quote. But, I know he has said something VERY similar to that before.

67. Dark Helmet
    12:01 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Coach Cal to have that record in this era is ridiculous. I’d like to see how that record compares nationally to other coaches. Good ole Roy lost 11 his first year. Bill Self’s record is comparable to Cal’s first 2 years. Buuuut I’m sure their cupboard wasn’t nearly as dry as the Cats coming into the 09/10 season. He’s set to continue the dominance next year it’s great time to be a cats fan.

68. Dark Helmet
    12:10 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

64) I don’t feel like that’s a Tubby hate line. It actually sounds like something Tubby would say in gest for a laugh. Tubby kept this program what it is you got to love that. He’s doing good work at Minn. He just couldn’t be the Coach K at Duke, the Rupp, the Smith at UNC, that UK thinks it deserves. It’s a shame because if he had half of Cal’s recruiting and player development skills he would have been that and then some.

69. Kevin Probus
    12:26 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

The point is that its a made up quote.

70. RidgeRunner
    12:28 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

66..high & dry is actually BTI on Friday Nights around, say…midnight.

No, I meant as in, we were high as high could be with (I think) more championships to come every 2 or 3 years with constant final fours (albeit the periodic upset every once in awhile)…-but we were rollin’ and everything was in place (recruiting, depth, style, eyc..) — Then, he bolted! — Leaving us at the high but dry in our future direction of the program.

71. kentuckyjoe
    12:43 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Cal is simply the greatest.

72. Paducah fan
    1:09 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I think if Rick had stayed you’d have seen a dominance much like the Rupp or Wooden days. We’d be happy and so would he.

73. he's got the puppies set off the bus
    1:10 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Thanks for putting this into perspective, BTI

74. cats
    1:19 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Cal is 8-1 against rivalries, right? UL 2-0, UT 3-0, UNC 1-1, IU 2-0

75. High Expectations
    3:11 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Cal is 0-1 for the only stat I care about – Titles. He needs to fix that. I don’t want Elite 8’s, I don’t want final 4’s, and I don’t want runner up’s. I only want titles.