BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Brad Stevens to Kentucky, No Thanks

Brad Stevens as Kentucky coach?  I hope not.

Now that Brad Stevens is onto the Boston Celtics, and let’s be honest, that is not going to end well, college basketball fans are already trying to guess where Stevens will end up once he gets back to the college game.  And certainly, there is a faction of Kentucky fans who wouldn’t mind seeing Stevens on the Lexington campus whenever Cal decides to leave, after 25 more years, and 12 more national titles.  But when that happens, would Brad Stevens be a good choice to come to Kentucky?  I would argue HELL to the NO.

And the reason is simple: Brad Stevens is Tubby Smith.

Now, I have always leaned into the Tubby Smith Fan Camp.  I think his name should be in the rafters simply because he won a national title and ran a clean program.  But, I’m also not such a homer to not admit Tubby had a lot of flaws too.  He had too many 10-loss seasons, didn’t seem to always use his stars to their best ability, and his style of play was often quite difficult to watch.  Plus, his recruiting was questionable many years, especially at a program like Kentucky.

But, how is Stevens any different?  Let’s look at a couple things:

1. Brad Stevens coached 6 years at Butler.  Tubby Smith coach a total of 6 years at Tulsa and Georgia before coming to UK.

2. Brad Stevens had 2 players drafted into the NBA during his 6 seasons at Butler: Gordon Hayward and Shelvin Mack.  Tubby Smith had 3 players drafted into the NBA during his 6 seasons at Tulsa and Georgia.  And the 2 players drafted from UGA were not recruited by Tubby.

3. Tubby Smith’s last Georgia team averaged 72 points per game.  Brad Stevens’ last Butler team averaged 69 points per game.  For comparison’s sake, that really mediocre UK team from last season averaged 72 points per game.  And we remember how bad that looked, right?

4. Tubby Smith lost 27 games in his final 3 years before coming to Kentucky.  Brad Stevens lost 34 games in his final 3 years at Butler.  John Calipari has lost 26 games total in 4 years at Kentucky.

These 4 points highlight different things, all of which I think are important.  First, both guys are still relatively young in terms of college basketball head coaching experience.  John Calipari had 17 years head coaching experience before coming to Kentucky.  Why not go after a guy with more experience?  And please don’t argue NBA coaching experience matters, because coaching at those 2 levels has very little in common except 5 players take the court at the start of the game.

Second, neither guy recruited high level, 5-star talent before coming to Kentucky.  Tubby recruited some of that talent when he made it to Lexington, but never to the extent that fans clamored for.  And when Tubby did get the 5-star talents like Joe Crawford, Rajon Rondo, and Randolph Morris, he didn’t have a good grasp how to coach them.  I would imagine that Stevens would recruit more for the system he installs rather than the actual total talent of the player.

Third, do you really want to watch Brad Stevens grind out games into the 50’s?  Fans could not stand the way Tubby Smith’s teams played, especially in the last 2 years.  It was dribble, dribble, dribble, shot clock goes under 10, pick and roll, hope something happens.  It doesn’t mean that style of play can’t win 20 or 25 games a year.  It can.  Tubby proved that.  But it will NEVER draw it top level talent, and will require just the right players to make Final Fours.  Stevens would do much of the same.  His offense revolves a little more around the 3-point shot, but defense is the specialty.

Lastly, don’t be completely fooled by Stevens’ 2 runs to the championship games.  He loses a lot too.  34 games in his last 3 years.  In the Horizon and Atlantic 10 Leagues.  Yes, with the draw falling just right, can a Steven’s UK team make a Final Four?  Absolutely.  But Brad Stevens will never put a team on the floor that has more talent than every team it plays.  And that makes me nervous.  Brad Stevens needed buzzer-beaters in Rounds 1 and 2 in the 2011 NCAA Tournament to even make the Sweet 16.  That’s luck, not skill.

Brad Stevens is a long shot to succeed in Boston.  Even if Rajon Rondo hangs around, they are rebuilding in a big way right now.  And I don’t see Stevens being the guy who motivates a group of mediocre millionaires to NBA success.  I give him 3 years in Boston.  And then it’s back to college.  Hopefully the UK job won’t be open then.  But if by some chance it is, count me as one who wouldn’t like to see Stevens in Lexington.  That is unless you want Tubby Smith back as coach.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

65 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Brad Stevens to Kentucky, No Thanks

1. well then
    9:05 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

i fart in your general direction

2. tournament success
    9:06 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

you could also argue he’s a young Izzo, and that is not a bad thing

3. Greg
    9:10 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

First of all I think any talk of him becoming UK coach in the future is ridiculous. He’s not Tubby Smith. He can talk to the media and he will have NBA experience and cred! He’s taken BUTLER to two final fours.

4. UKSupporter76
    9:11 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

If you like watching football players play football on a basketball court, then I guess you could argue that Izzo is good, but I wouldn’t want him at UK and I agree with BTI, I wouldn’t want Stevens either. Great guy, class act, but a bad fit for UK.

5. Sean Miller
    9:12 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

Hoping I get a good hard look from Mitch, whenever Cal is done.

6. Clouseau
    9:12 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

I may in the minority here, but all the speculation about what may happen years down the road is a waste of time. Who knows how he’ll do in Boston? He hasn’t even coached his first practice up there and we’re already speculating about him failing there, Cal retiring, etc etc. What is the point.

“Why not go after a guy with more experience?” You’re already questioning the potential mindset of how a potential coaching search may perhaps be potentially be run sometime in the future. Come on.

I just find these types of posts completely pointless.

7. just saying
    9:12 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

I know its the off season, but posts, like these are not needed. Its opinionated garbage.

First, Brad Stevens is NOT considering UK, and we are not considering him. Calipari is coach here, and Stevens is coaching the Celtics.

So all the numbers about how young of a coach he is are irrelevant, he would be a HC for more than 10years (including an “elite” NBA team) before he, or UK would even be in a position to consider it. And Brad stevens “never put a team on the court with more talant than every team it plays”, yet he made the NC game twice in back to back years…sounds like a great coach to me.

With posts like these, I wish you would just write an article telling us how much he hate Wiltjer, should recruit Elum, and how either way we dont need them.

8. Clint
    9:12 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

I kinda agree actually. Been hearing Shaka Smart and I think that might be the best choice.

9. bbn
    9:13 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

Brad Stevens to Kentucky Basketball would be the equivalent of Joker coaching the football team

10. cracka
    9:17 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

where’s my bachelorette update post?

11. ApplesandOranges
    9:19 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

Tubby went to the Sweet 16 with UGA and he was a hot coach at the time. He was a good hire that turned out to be a very average coach by UK standards. He could not recruit. Stevens on the other hand took a mid-major to the final game twice in three years. Has that every been done in the modern era since the three point line? Has anyone even taken a mid-major to the final four twice in their career? Stevens is an excellent young coach. He may not be able to recruit like Cal (kinda like saying he can’t part the sea like Moses) but how do we know? I was deathly afraid he would go to UL.

12. Kev
    9:21 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

Gregg Marshall or Shaka. If we are keeping it out of the Big Blue Family.

13. in the know
    9:22 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

Brad Stevens is eyeing the UL and Duke positions. My father-in-law is a physician (UL Med) and has suite seats at the YUM on center court. He has told me for 2 years UL brass has been in contact with Stevens and “more than conversations, have taken place”. Most expected Pitino to be headed toward retirement, although now he looks set-up for a few years of high level basketball. Stevens is ULs first choice as replacement. Duke has not officially contacted Stevens, but “some boosters” have.

UK is not on the radar. In either direction. So let it go

14. just saying
    9:28 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

history says it will be Coach O

Rupp-legend
    Hall-assistant to Rupp
    Sutton-drunk from texas

Pitino-legend
    Tubby-assistant to Pitino
    Gilispie- drunk from texas

Calipari- legend
    ????

15. RICK
    9:30 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

How many points a game has Cal averaged since he’s been at KY. Tubby’s slow play has always been over blown .I’ll take Travis Ford over Stevens any day. 13, Hope you card fans get Stevens.

16. Coach
    9:30 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

Buzzer beaters are luck. Being in position to win on a buzzer beater is not luck. It’s skill.

Getting Butler to TWO NC games is a LOT of skill. And much of it was due to great coaching.

Stevens is an excellent coach and don’t be so sure that he won’t succeed in Boston.

17. blueaville
    9:30 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

So glad this article was written. I too am in the camp of NO BRAD STEVENS. I don’t think he can recruit the way he needs to at UK. I think he is Duke bound for sure. I think lil Pitino goes to UL if he wins at Minnesota and I think Smart comes to UK.

18. Tom Jurich
    9:31 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

#13 you’re a dumbass.
    Let me know when these posts about Brad Stevens will stop. I’m a fan of the site but this shit is annoying. Maybe when/if he fails at the next level we can flirt with where he will go when/if he returns to college bball. Until then lets talk about recruiting or something else.

19. what i'm thinkin is....
    9:32 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

When Cal leaves…. why not hire Orlando Antigua? I mean.. given he has been a successful head coach somewhere for a while. He knows Cal’s system as good as anybody, and will be familiar with Lexington and how to get the top guys to buy in.

20. allfortomjurich
    9:35 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

I agree with #18. KSR needs to stop.

21. scottydee
    9:36 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

Totally agree BTI! You get a lot of unfounded grief on here. Good coach just not a good fit for UK. No more Tubby Ball! I was about ready to turn in my fan card. That being said, no more articles on UK ‘s next coach. Lets enjoy the one we have. Hes the best in the business.

22. shaka
    9:39 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

Brad Stevens looks like a duke coach. Shaka would be the next cal whenever he decides to leave hopefully we have another 7 years at least

23. bung
    9:45 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

we don’t run anymore now…we only scored in the 50’s or 60’s in 10 of last years 12 losses…looavul outscored us on fast break points 20-2…so what’s your point?

24. Pancreas
    9:50 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

Would love to see what Shaka smart and his havoc defense could do at UK with elite level thoroughbreds.

25. NEWMAN
    9:52 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

When Cal decides to hang it up, which I hope is never (how’s human cloning coming along?), I hope Coach O and Travis Ford have coached themselves into a position where they each get a long hard look.

26. TheWildcatsNuttsak
    9:57 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

Two replys here. 1. WTF is the relevance of this post and 2. #14, LMFAO! That was good.

27. kentucky joe
    10:03 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

14) So who would the drunk from Texas be next time? Bobby Knights son?

28. Bradley
    10:03 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

Travis Ford at Kentucky. Lmfao. Dude would would be in over his head more than Vern Troyer in the deep end.

29. Sam
    10:07 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

I tend to agree for a change with the intern. If Cal is in full color, this guy is pastel. It would be a marketing disaster for the university, and I don’t believe Mitch will take that chance. He already to that chance with a Joker, and surely if Mitch is still here, he won’t make that mistake twice.

The new hire would have to be somebody who can recruit big time, who can speak well, has an ego but is still Lou Holtz-ish, and who has an “exciting brand of basketball.” We can’t regress on the style of play, as the fans will not allow for much backsliding into mediocrity.

I would think Travis Ford would be a decent pick, or even Sean Woods. I really liked his Morehead State team last year. Very, very physical and confident. If Sean can do some more maturing as far as his emotions, tongue, and demeanor are concerned, then I think he’ll work his way into the conversation.

The challenge is, who will be able to sell the program like Cal can. That’s a very tall order.

30. theWilkman
    10:20 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

No way Mitch follows Cal up with Stevens. It would be a complete 180 in the wrong direction.

31. Al B. Frank
    10:26 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

Great observation by #14. Made me laugh!

32. Really?
    10:27 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

You wouldn’t want Brad Stevens as a coach? Interesting…he’s young, brillaint, and a proven winner at 36 years old, not sure what isn’t to like and don’t understand the Tubby reference in the least but hey, you’re the expert

33. JackB
    10:34 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

No one has ever recruited like Cal has since he has been at UK. Even Cal didn’t recruit like Cal before he was at UK. So we will not replace Cal with Cal at recruiting. It won’t happen.

The other points are valid – Steven’s teams play low scoring grind out basketball – especially in the tourney. That can win, but it is boring.

Shaka plays are more fun style – hard to tell how great he is – he has only had one good tourney run (FF) and one OK run that ended in a major blowout by a hot Michigan.

Chances are also good that the person we want when Cal leaves hopefully many years from now is not on the radar now.

Forget Travis Ford people. He has had time to do more than he has done and has not proven to be UK worthy. Not even close. Yes, he has UK ties and he is white. So what.

34. LOL
    10:50 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

Travis Ford would be an absolute disaster. And Sean Woods? Come on get serious.
    Hypothetically speaking, if Cal were to retire in 5 years and Mitch is still AD, your list has to include:

35. Brad Stevens
    10:50 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

I took my team to back to back national championship games… with my own players. Tubby did that, too!? Man, I guess I’m too young to remember that.

36. LOL
    10:51 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

Miller
    Smart
    Stevens

Any good list begins and ends here. There could be other guys that rise up in the next couple of years, but these are the “elite” coaching prospects. Period.

37. 9-asty
    11:18 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

Why did my comment get deleted asking why he is considered a candidate now that he is coaching in the NBA? Is that really that offensive to KSR?

38. 9-asty
    11:18 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

Never mind. I’m an idiot.

39. ShouldBeNoted
    11:25 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

Cal lost 14 games his last 4 seasons at Memphis.

Gillispie lost 26 games in his last 3 seasons at A&M.

40. Roflectomy
    11:30 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

For once I actually agree with BTI. Crazy.

41. kadizkat
    11:35 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

BTI doesn’t always suck.

42. El Guapo
    11:38 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

What is it about Tubby Ball you didn’t like? The playing defense? The ball movement? Hitting free throws?

Right now elite NBA talents come to Kentucky because they know they won’t have any kind of organized practice. They will practice lobs and dunks a couple hours a day and when they roll out there it’ll look like a street pickup game. Do we ever practice things like shooting foul shots, the kinds of things that win games? No. Would you people really hate seeing a fundamentally sound team so badly in blue?

43. Larry Glover
    11:42 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

Sandy Bell reported to NCAA that Cal called a recruit at 12:01 and she requested that the entire NIT season, including a first round loss to Robert Morris, be vacated

44. bluecreeker
    11:47 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

@#42

No recruiting
    Player defections (more than all other coaches combined)
    10 loss seasons
    arrogance
    Pace of play
    Lack of player development
    arrogance
    Saul Smith
    GG Smith
    arrogance
    Style of play
    refusal to allow superstar players take over (Tayshaun Prince & Rajon Rondo)

Did I forget arrogance?

#40 and all others……

Tubby did not build a program at Tulsa, it was handed to him and he did Ok. Tubby did nothing more than take Georgia to the Sweet 16……yawn. He was then handed the keys to the UK program which was 1 OT period away from being a repeat NC…….he did fine with Rick’s players, who were coached by RP, conditioned by RP, and motivated by RP.

Once his system took over, we had mediocrity by any standards.

He was…..the weakest link….bye bye!

45. R. Smith
    11:52 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

NBA coaching experience does matter – quite a bit because of the connections to the NBA, the advice a coach can give, the knowledge of what it takes to get there…..

UK should never hire a coach that has not proven he can get a team to the final four, and they should always consider whether that coach has valid NBA experience.

UK is not a job where you grow into it – you either show up capable of hitting the ground running or you shouldn’t be considered for the job.

That is why I cringe we people talk about Travis Ford or any other coach that hasn’t succeeded where he is other than do enough to keep a job. If they aren’t consistently in the national talk where they are now, going to UK isn’t going to magically turn them into an “elite” coach. You have to know how to utilize what UK has to offer in order to prosper from it.

46. ukjonny9
    11:52 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

42- if you think that is all Cal does I have to wonder how you are abletooperate a computer.

47. ukjonny9
    11:57 am July 9, 2013 Permalink

44- Tubby Smith was arrogant? Haha! Why? Did you send him coaching tips and he ignored your “superior” advise?

Tubby was better than mediocre and got unlucky a few times that kept him from advancing to the final four. He was a very good coach who wasn’t great. And he was a wonderful human being that I’ve never heard of as arrogant. Now if you want to see arrogance, look up Pitino, Rick.

48. jpizzle
    12:02 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

42- Your post shows your ignorance if you think Cal doesn’t run organized practices. Also, why would any coach waste valuable practice time shooting free throws?

BTI- You Sir, are on a roll. Yet another post that gets it exactly right. No I do not want to see Butler Ball being played by my alma mater. Anyone else remember how awful those two title games were that Butler played in? That’s not basketball.

49. The best thing about Tubby ball
    12:23 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

Tubby’s teams–especially the one with Daniels and Hayes–could play half-court D. The game in Rupp with Florida in ’03 was a sight to behold! That seemed to be the forte of Tubbyball.

50. jacob
    12:30 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

clearly your an intern damn tubby took several great teams and burned them out before the elite 8 brad stevens took scrubs and made them winners

51. kentuckyjoe
    1:07 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

Let’s save this discussion for about fifteen years from now.

52. Nolecat21
    1:15 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

Tubby’s ten year avg points per game is 75, with a high of 80.1 and a low of 69.1. Cal’s 4 year average at UK is 76 ppg, with a high of 79.3 and a low of 72.6. Can we stop talking about how Tubby’s teams didn’t score enough now? I can’t say this on here enough, but the head coach is not the only recruiter on the staff. The assistants do most of the leg work. Tubby’s staff blew for sure. Didn’t have the connections nor the drive to be great recruiters. There was a rumor he was on a limited budget for his staff. BCG comes in and has one of the highest paid staffs in America. The argument was always Tubby was just too loyal to his staff. Why didn’t he take any of them with him to Minn? Better staff=better players. Tubby was a great coach. Especially at making in game adjustments. Last two years were pretty bad for sure, but doesn’t erase his body of work.

53. PW
    2:05 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

I REALLY like the coach we have now. I refuse to entertain thoughts of a future coach until it is forced upon me by reality.

54. UKBlue1!
    3:23 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

Brad Stevens isn’t Tubby. He took a program with a decent basketball history of making it to the tourney and nearly won 2 NCAA titles. Tubby took a Mercedes and nearly made it a YUGO. Stevens will not have it easy in Boston because they are rebuilding. But given a chance and he could have a playoff team in 2-3 years.

55. Jordan
    3:45 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

Simply put. How many championship games did tubby make it to before kentucky? Answer 0. How many for brad Stevens? 2. He did that at butler. Kentucky is a different level and should be easier to recruit. I’d gladly take a professional personality coach. He’s not tubby. He’s more like coach k. And I dislike duke as much as anyone else but coach k is arguably the greatest coach in college basketball history and if Stevens is the next coach k I’d approve the hire even though I think Shaka smart would better fit the program. The reason we would want to have a younger coach is if its a success we would a stable program for much longer because they could coach for 20+ yrs instead of the 8-10 yrs we’ve seen with every coach since rupp

56. Chris Johnson
    3:48 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

Im glad to see BTI has read Rick Reilly’s ‘Trolling for Hack Columnists’. I look forward to his next posts: ‘Rupp – Communist Sleeper Agent’, ‘Billy Clyde – An Appreciation’, and ‘National Runner-Up Doesn’t Mean a Thing If You Dont Get That Ring’

57. Blueneck
    4:09 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

These are the type posts that hurt the sites credibility. Luckily no one knows who the writer is or will remember this 10 years from now.
    Getting NBA experience would help him tons in recruiting just as it has Cal – Tubby didn’t have that.
    Saying Tubby couldn’t handle talent is a misnomer. His highest rank class, the one you mentioned, three of four of those players turned out to be vastly overrated (exception Rondo) as they couldn’t play one year in the NBA (it was like last years class). Yet he won big with less highly recruited players.

BTI tries to pretend to be a stat guy but then uses only an offensive average to back it up. That doesn’t take into account SOS or pace of game. When u lock down the other team it does slow the pace since they can’t get shots off quickly. Speaking of SOS, Tubby played a top 10 in 9 of 10 years, he ducked no one (cough: Indiana). Cal has had only one top 10 SOS and that was the year he had a team for the ages. Tubby also coached at the time when there was actually another SEC team to compete with (Florida, two titles), the only time in the last 10 years an SEC team other than UK was nationally elite.

58. Catsfan1965
    4:57 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

I will concede that Tubby was a fine in-game coach and he may have won the 1998 Elite 8 game against Duke when Pitino may have not. Other than that his tenure was a disaster for the UK basketball program. As someone who has been watching UK basketball since 1975, the Tubby years were more hope crushing than going on probabtion. Except for the first couple of years with Pitino’s players the Tubby years were a slow, inexorable slide into the 2nd tier of college basketball. Both Tubby’s recruiting instincts (Corey Brewer anyone?) and his results sucked. Nine years without a Final Four and look at the atrocious recruiting classes below. How long do you think a coach with those recruits and that lack of tournament success would last at Duke or UNC? I don’t think people realize just how awful Tubby’s recruiting results were in comparison to other UK coaches. Only 3 of his recruiting classes were adequate (1998, 1999, and 2004) and two of those were in the afterglow of the Pitino years. Not to mention Tubby is the guy who brought us Rashaad Carruth. I included 2007 because Tubby was involved in the recruitment.

1998

2007
    17 Patrick Patterson
    44 Alex Legion
    149 A.J. Stewart

59. UK22
    6:12 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

Just stop it. Enjoy the now. Yes you don’t have much to write about but let’s enjoy Cal. We look like an insecure boyfriend/fan base afraid their smoking hot gf will leave them every two seconds.

60. bluecreeker
    7:55 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

#47 UKjohnny

He was an arrogant ass:

He said about his position at UK: “It’s just a job, I was looking for one when I got this” as if he was just some pond scum out there and he happened upon the UK job.

His arrogance kept a NBA All Star named Tayshawn Prince down, relegating him to nothing better than above average.

His arrogance kept Rajon Rondo down and ultimately led to his early departure.

His refusal to abandon his antiquated “system” in order to play to the strengths of his recruits was arrogant, and led to his demise.

His refusal to recruit AAU was arrogant and led to his demise.

His allowance of Saul playing PG led to his ultimate demise.

GG said once…..”we won 20 games, we call that getting it done” which echoed the sentiments of his arrogant father…..disregarding the fact that the college season is no longer 24 games, but 30+

He let all of the players under his tenure know that they were really nothing, which lead to the record breaking early departures.

His arrogance wouldn’t allow him to let kids prosper, control freakish demands that player play out of position.

He was an arrogant ass…….you just like him because he’s black.

he didn’t get fire because of his skin color, he got hired because of it……and he was nothing more than average.

If average is what you like……I recommend you become a UofL Fan.

61. BlueTexan
    8:44 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

NOTHING wrong w/Tubby – REALLY tired of the Tubby bashing on here!!!!!! Agree that Stevens is not what we’ll need/want AC (after Cal). We can only hope Cal stays for a long, long time.

62. jpizzle
    10:12 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

58 & 60- Wow,smh

63. Dee W.
    10:26 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

First of all…what in the world is this? We have no idea of knowing how long Calipari will remain there and who would be available or willing to take the job when that time comes. Did I miss something indicating he’s wanting to leave soon – or did something happen to make us want to push him out the door?

61 – people tend to just make things up out of thin air when it comes to Tubby Smith. Witness the above post #44 implying he didn’t improve the programs at Tulsa or Georgia – anyone can look up the record and find that is not even close to being true – he dramatically improved both programs. People have posted before that both programs were very strong and already going to the NCAA so he did nothing for them…not even remotely true – they weren’t even going to the NIT regularly. Amazingly, we are posting to an internet forum, meaning they have access to quickly and easily find this information, yet post the nonsense anyway. The other week someone posted an indictment of Tubby Smith for “always playing” Sheray Thomas way more than Joe Crawford and it was something that still bothers them to this day…something that never, ever, happened – Thomas barely played half the minutes Crawford did. Someone named “King Ghidora” regularly posts on UK boards saying that Tubby Smith ran ads on TV attacking UK as a racist institution – something that never, ever happened – then he proceeds to post as “proof” a 7 second clip out of a documentary claiming that was the ad. Absurd. Could go on and on about the nonsense people post. If things were so bad you would think most of the criticism could be things that were actually true.

Tubby Smith record at Kentucky:

1997 – 1998 – 35-4 overall, 14-2 SEC, SEC regular season champions, SEC tournament Champions, NCAA Champions, SEC Coach of the Year

1998 – 1999 – 28-9 overall, 11-5 SEC, SEC tournament Champions, NCAA Elite 8

1999 – 2000 – 23-10 overall, 12-4 SEC, SEC regular season Champions (tied), NCAA Round of 32

2000 – 2001 – 24-10 overall, 12-4 SEC, SEC regular season Champions (tied), SEC tournament Champions, NCAA Sweet 16

2001 – 2002 – 22-10 overall, 10-6 SEC, NCAA Sweet 16

2002 – 2003 – 32-4 overall, 16-0 SEC, SEC regular season Champions, SEC tournament Champions, Granted #1 seed NCAA tournament, NCAA Elite Eight, SEC Coach of the Year, Naismith National Coach of the Year, Henry Iba Award for best national coach of the year, AP National Coach of the Year, first team since 1952 to go undefeated through SEC conference play through both the regular season and tournament (and first and only to do so with 16 regular season games), new record set for highest attendance at a game at Rupp Arena during this season, largest margin of victory (62 points) over an opponent in a game since 1952, first college coach since 1975 to sweep all NCAA recognized national coach of the year honors in the same season

2003 – 2004 – 27-5 overall, 13-3 SEC, SEC Tournament Champions, Granted #1 overall seed NCAA tournament, NCAA round of 32

2004 – 2005 – 28-6 overall, 14-2 SEC, #1 recruiting class, SEC regular season Champions, SEC tournament runner-up, NCAA Elite Eight, SEC Coach of the Year, Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year, AP National Coach of the Year

2005 – 2006 – 22-13 overall, 9-7 SEC, NCAA round of 32

2006 – 2007 – 22-12 overall, 9-7 SEC, NCAA round of 32

(Beat Louisville in 4 out of 6 meetings with Pitino as the opposing coach…but supposedly “Pitino’s Players” were superior)

64. Catsfan1965
    11:15 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

I understand why my friends that hate UK loved Tubby and I understand why the national media that wanted UK to shrivel up and die loved Tubby, but I have no idea why a UK fan would love Tubby. #63-do you really think your posting of Tubby’s record at UK is a positive for him? Of course everyone would rather have Tubby’s recruits at UK 1999-2007 instead of Pitino’s recruits.

#42 insinuated that Tubby’s teams were more fundamentally sound than Cal’s which is funny because I seem to remember Tubby recruiting based on physique not basketball skills. For those who are actually interested in facts:

During Tubby’s tenure UK shot 20.55 FTs per game and 67.66% while UK has shot 23.19 FTs per game and 68.68% under Cal. But, of course, Tubby’s teams were so much more fundamentally sound and must have had less TOs. Oh wait Tubby’s team turned the ball over 14.35 times per game and Cal’s teams have turned the ball over 12.32 times per game. Tubby’s tenure was a complete disaster for the UK basketball program. I don’t understand why anyone would defend his time here.

65. bluecreeker
    9:33 am July 10, 2013 Permalink

@#61

Nothing wrong with Tubby at all (rolling my eyes),

That’s why he r-u-n-n-o-f-t from UK in the middle of the night (to keep from being fired from THE most high profile College job in these United States, why he got fired from the National Powerhouse Golden Gophers, and why has been relegated to has been status sniffing Bob Knights shorts at Texas Tech.

If you come to Kentucky, if you take the money, you buy into the program. Tubby did not because he is a controlling arrogant ass.

Please explain to this BBN member;

Tubby Smith (nice guy) was qualified to head the University of Kentucky Basketball program based on what?

1. Coached under Rick Pitino, and CM thought he would play the same style?

2. Those stellar Sweet 16 appearances at Tulsa?

3. That stellar Sweet 16 finish at Georgia?

C’Mon Man!

Other than CM Newton’s haste to hire a coach of color, I see nothing. As well, I can name several “black” coaches off the tip of my tongue that are much better than Tubby.