BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Behavior off the Court/Field: Do you Care?

uk troubles
A
nthony Epps, Antoine Walker, Ron Mercer: All 3 have had legal/off the court troubles.  We love all 3.

I was struck by the hoard of media people surrounding Johnny Manziel at SEC Media Days on Wednesday, in part due to the fact he’s the returning Heisman winner, but mostly due to his recent dust up at the Manning Football Camp in which he was bounced for either oversleeping because of exhaustion or showing up hungover.  I think we all can guess which is the more likely scenario for a guy who has been photographed a time or two having a good time with the special sauce.  Plus, Manziel already was in some hot water for some tweets suggesting he was tired of being in College Staion, etc.  And on top of all of that, Manziel has been arrested before in the past 2 years.

But watching the media piranhas swarm around Manziel, it got me thinking: do I really care what my team’s players do in their free time off the field or court, even if those actions are illegal or unsavory?

Let’s be completely honest, UK has had it’s share of dustups with the law or breaking of team rules over the years.  Let’s not forget that Gerald Fitch was a big reason Team Turmoil was called that.  Jules Camara obviously had a couple run-ins with the police.  John Wall and Demarcus Cousins both came to Kentucky with a couple less than pretty stories around them.  Yet, we still loved them.  Why?  Because they performed well on the field.  Several football players have been booted from the team just this season.  And there are countless more rumors that never come out publically about a ton of players on both teams.  But do you, as a fan, really care about that?

I would think that most Texas A&M fans are going to forget Manziel’s troubled offseason when he throws for 250 and runs for another 100 in the season opener.  We forget about Gerald Fitch or Joe Crawford’s troubles when they pour in 20 points.  On the lil’ brother side, people forget Kevin Ware was suspended last season for a “violation of team rules”, which rumors had as poor practice habits and more, and then he breaks his leg and suddenly everyone thinks he is a team leader and UL fans love the guy.  Just a couple months earlier, he couldn’t see the floor because of his behavior.  UL fans were quick to forget the behavior of Ware just a short time ago when it suited them to like the guy.

But to be honest, UK fans would probably feel the same way.  I know I do.  The fact of the matter is, barring something serious on the illegal front (murder, rape, serious drug dealing), the behavior of 18-22 year olds off the court doesn’t concern me, nor interests me.  I don’t care if my team’s players smoke weed.  I don’t care if they are getting drunk all the time.  And the reason is simple: I am cheering for a team more than I am the players.  It’s why I am not a fan of the Washington Wizards, despite the fact that John Wall plays for them.  I stick with the TEAM.  So as long as the player is performing for my team, I don’t really care what he does as an individual, again barring something really serious.  Perform on the field and you have my support.

If Johnny Manziel was my quarterback, I would be just as excited for the upcoming season, and just as big a supporter as I was 2 weeks ago before this all came down.  I am not naive enough to think that every player who puts on the blue and white is a choir boy off the field.  And we shouldn’t expect them to be that way.  They are young adults, with the same young adult temptations that most of us experienced when we were in college, probably multiplied by 100.  I fully expect my team’s players to be out at the bar on a Saturday night after a big win.  But I care a lot more about THE WIN than I do the behavior after it.

So the question is: How important is a player’s off the field behavior to you?

Article written by Bryan the Intern

56 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Behavior off the Court/Field: Do you Care?

1. Downtown
    9:06 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

Tell that to New England fans regarding Aaron Hernandez.

2. cayuts
    9:08 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

Thank you BTI for a worthless post. You don’t care if players smoke weed? Do you care when they’re suspended for said action? Idiot.

3. Grammar King
    9:09 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

#1: “The fact of the matter is, barring something serious on the illegal front (murder, rape, serious drug dealing), the behavior of 18-22 year olds off the court doesn’t concern me, nor interests me.” I think BTI pretty well addressed that issue.

4. rabble rabble rabble
    9:10 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

I can 100% confirm team turmoil liked to party more than play basketball, but not more than smoking weed.

Do we care if UK players do what college kids do? Hell no. But, DUIs, getting caught smoking weed in public, assaults, guns….let lil bro have those guys.

5. TJBBN
    9:13 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

I do care to a degree. Criminal offenses and things of that nature reflect poorly on the university. However, sometimes players do screw up. They are college kids. Let’s cut them a little slack.

6. ATB (Always True Blue)
    9:14 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

I care only because I have kids and grand-kids. They love these kids and look at them as role models, like it or not. Now with that said, I can use them as a public example of not to put your faith in these people because they will let you down.

7. just saying
    9:15 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

I disagree. Ray Lewis will always be a convict in my mind, no matter how many interviews he had last year, or how many sacks/tackles, or how much ESPN tried to paint him as a good guy.

No one is dumb enough to think everyone is in bed at 9, or doing bible study after practice, but RULES ARE RULES and if they violate those team rules, they should be delt with in whatever manner the staff AND school feels deamable. If Johnny Football was a punter, he would have been kicked off the team for how he acted this summer. Karma says he will have a terrible year, or season ending injury. Look at how the seasons usually turn out for NFL players that “holdout”, or have offseasons like John manizell had. Name one that dominated as expected. Most are out of shape and the Press goes to their head.

8. Michael Porter
    9:19 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

It shouldn’t matter at all!!

9. Downtown
    9:21 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

#4, that’s right I had forgotten about that. Team Turmoil #1, Team Turmoil #2, The Billy Gillespie years, and then Team Turmoil #4 last year. Yeah, I think UK fans care. I mean Carruth? How did we forget about him?

10. Jen
    9:22 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

Right. Because going to a bar is the only thing to do on a Saturday night. Also, college is just a place for partying and studying business. “Dude.” If one is looking for reasons why the US is in the shape it’s in, these two truths that are held to be self-evident would be in the top-20.

11. James
    9:23 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

I care because I want the players representing my team to be good, upstanding citizens.Sure they will get into trouble from time to time, they’re kids. But players like Johnny Football tick me off because it seems he could not care less about his school, his fans, or his image. He is the type of player that I would not want at UK.

12. 3 fan
    9:27 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

Drinking underage is one thing. A DUI is something else.

13. BlueDeuce
    9:27 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

I disagree…behavior off the field represents the university. While I understand 18 – 22 year olds do stupid things, we aren’t talking about your regular 18 – 22 year old here. These are kids with unreal opportunity in front of them, a chance to make it big or at the very least, get a degree and have a shot at success in life. To act stupid of the field will reflect on the field when not held in check. Why return to or continue the cycle of childish/illegal behavior when you have a shot at breaking it and doing something productive with your life and helping those around you?

14. lonnieb
    9:28 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

@11…
    I would take johnny football on uk right now…..
    The players should not be held to a higher standard than any other student, which 75% drink every weekend and 25-50% probably smoke weed at least weekly. I for one did both of those regularly in undergrad…while playing DI baseball

15. Jen
    9:28 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

As for weed, it should be legal. Does that mean any person, or student in this case, should abuse it by, say, driving a car while under the influence or using it to the point of excess? Of course not. It simply means the government shouldn’t be telling one what to do when one’s actions affect no one but oneself.

16. Jack Says
    9:28 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

How sad. No wonder we have thousands of Trayvons walking around looking for trouble. Folks if you want that kind of society, then don’t come crying when one of these Dudes rapes your daughter and sells drugs to your grandchild. I hope you all know how to take care of yourself.

17. T.J.
    9:29 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

10- This is why women shouldn’t comment on sports blogs…. Is sexism in that “top-20” too?

18. TNO
    9:29 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

10. Really…Really? You do realize that most of the constitution was written at a pub in Philadelphia? You do realize that, don’t you?

19. The Water Boy
    9:30 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

9:00am is the absolute worst time to come to KSR.

20. lonnieb
    9:32 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

@13….
    Thats all relevant……all students behavior reflects the university…the kids burning couches on the street is just as ridiculous as johnny football or whatever. They are regular 18-22 year olds…they are good at basketball. The guy in pre med goes out and gets drunk on the weekends as well, he is probably in an even better position then the ball player. Why would a kid in pre med think its okay to go get drunk?
    The players are no different. College kids drink and smoke week all the time…it is what it is. While i would prefer them not getting high or drinking the night before a game its none of my business. If the smoke they will probably get a better nights sleep;)

21. dissapointed
    9:35 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

I have to totally disagree. When you are a star athlete you should be held to a higher standard from the university standpoint. You are representing the program in a very public manner and are being constantly watched. Children are looking at these athletes as role models, and frankly, “to whom much is given, much is required”. It is not that hard to look around you, see how much you are being watched, and choose to represent yourself and your school in an upstanding manner.

22. James
    9:37 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

@14 I respectfully disagree. I don’t care if he drinks on the weekends, I did in college and so co most college students. My problem is that he lies about it and he let’s it effect his football career. Like it or not, once he accepted the Heisman Trophy, the standards changed. Is it fair? Probably not but its reality.

23. cristoforouk
    9:39 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

14 – Wrong. UK bball players ARE held to a higher standard. That is what they sign on for when they come to UK. And that is part of the “UK is not for everyone” statement that Coach Cal always makes. These guys are rock stars, and they know people are looking up to them. It is why UK is a great place to prepare for the NBA, because that is exactly the way they are treated. Would you say athletes shouldn’t be held to a higher standard than you or me?

24. J.A.
    9:43 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

16. b/c smoking weed and raping kids are the same thing, think BTI is just saying as long as they aren’t suspended then why should we care, it’s their personal life. For the ppl whose argument is they don’t want their kids to see there idols be troublemakers, maybe you should consider not putting the responsilbity of setting an example for your kids on these college athletes.

25. jimmer
    9:49 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

23-Rock stars do cocaine, get belligerently drunk, destroy hotel rooms, etc…Why is it that someone with an athletic scholarship is supposed to be held to a higher standard than someone with an academic scholarship? Why should you care if a kid 18-22 is getting drunk and smoking weed?

26. Elzeko
    9:52 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

I really enjoy KSR, so I ask, why did you bring this jerk BTI back.I guess we just have to take the good with the pitiful, so I guess my choice is just to by pass the @#*K and read the good.

27. Kyle
    9:53 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

This type of post is why BTI sucks.

28. Good times
    9:57 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

@21 – Agree completely with your statement “to whom much is given, much is required”. I understand they are kids, but by virtue of their station they have more eyes on them and need to hold themselves to a higher level. If they want to be normal college kids, they can hand back the scholarship as I’m sure there are a line of people that would gladly make that deal. It’s not a matter of fairness, it’s a matter of reality. You clearly see what the world did with these three as a result of their actions. Fair? Maybe not, but reality yes. The world mostly rewards the Jamal Mashburn’s of the world that consistently go about their business the right way.

29. BlueToTheBone
    10:01 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

Why don’t you go write for the CJ where they just write worthless crap to try to “stir things up”. Absolutely worthless post and you are so off base from how the BBN feels….but “hey, it’s summer and I can’t think of anything of substance to write about so I’ll write this worthless article and see if I can get a rise out of our readers”! “Sure, I’d rather have Johnny Football over Peyton Manning any day because the dude can party. And give me Marshall Henderson over Jamal Mashburn any day because THAT dude is really awesome!” C’mon BTI….surely you can find something better to post on this otherwise fabulous website.

30. MamaSaid
    10:08 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

Don’t get caught. Getting caught tells me that the player is foolish and careless. Giving in to temptation is human and completely forgivable. Just don’t get caught.

31. Denim
    10:09 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

On a side note, can we bring back those bad ass uniforms?!?! With the sweet denim starter star on the shoe?

32. Bryan the Intern
    10:15 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

29) No, not really.

33. Musehobo
    10:18 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

A lot of people can compartmentalize off-field behavior and a player’s athletic abilites. I have a real hard time doing that. I really can’t stand Tiger Woods, even though I think he’s interesting to watch, an so very good for golf. But I still don’t like him. That’s what makes me like people like Nerlens so much more. I also understand that people are human, and I don’t put athletes on a pedestal anymore since I’ve grown up. Many of them never get caught doing stuff. But life isn’t in black or white. I really could care less if a player is smoking weed or not. It will be legal everywhere in the US in the next 20 years or so. A DUI, weapons, or assault charge is something else. These are the types of people I try to keep my family away from.

So a homer is someone who is such a big fan of their team, that they are unable to see the truth (or hypocritical) due to their bias. I really try not to be a homer. I want to be logical, reasonable, and fair. To me a DUI is on par with Michael Porter touching kids inappropriately. You may think I’m crazy. But as bad as molestation is in the world, I really would prefer my kid to be alive. Drunk drivers are negligent murderers waiting to happen. So yeah, UK player or not, do that crap and I don’t like you anymore. Why would you give someone a pass, just because they’r eon your favorite team? Really?

34. Dave
    10:29 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

I could give two shits about off fied/court behavior.

Let the “authorities” deal with it. If they are found guilty of something, let them deal with that.

I’m no f*ckin’ innocent. Why would I expect that of others?

Hypocritical nonsense, I believe.

35. Blurox
    10:37 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

Interesting article. It makes us think about whether we just care about winning or we care about the athletes and the image they project for the school. For those readers who think badly toward BTI, did you ever think he might be playing devil’s advocate trying to get us to think rather than just read and yawn. Within 57 min of his post there were 28 replies, I would say he is doing his job.

36. bloobloodcat
    10:54 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

A big part of being in college is simply growing up and being responsible for yourself. Comparing Manziel or Kevin Ware or Fitch to drug dealers and rapists like some have done here is ludicrous. There is a huge difference that matters between kids missing curfews and alarm clocks, maybe drinking underage occasionally, and serious stuff that we SHOULD be worried about. That a kid is a Heisman trophy winner or a bench warmer really does not make a difference with respect to the “things that 20yr old college kids do” stuff. If our kids do 20yr old stuff, punish them and hope they learn the lessons college teaches you–learning lessons from these mistakes is just as much a part of being a role model as being “perfect” all the time if you ask me. Now, if players do other more serious things, adult things, then we can talk about whether we want them on our team. But stop conflating kid stuff with adult stuff and move along.

37. BlueRedNeck
    10:55 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

I probably used to think in a similar way to what BTI wrote, but now I am a parent of two daughters, and I also coach kids’ sports. Now I have a much different perspective than I had back then. Rules are put into place for a reason, and anyone who is a member of a team (or any organization) has to understand the risks of breaking those rules. I was a college kid myself many years ago, and I did some stupid things as well, but when you are the face of a university’s athletic team, you have to expect more scrutiny and a higher standard of public behavior. Fair or not, that’s just the way it is.

Life is about making choices. You can take the path of least resistance, or you can aspire to something higher. Many times the path of higher aspiration is much more uphill and tougher to climb, and you will have to make many sacrifices. But in the end, you will be in a higher place. OK, end of philosophy lesson. Back in college i might have had to take a big toke after that deep thought. 🙂

38. jmfatz47
    11:06 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

Kids/athletes that get “caught” or suspended are normally multi-offenders to the rules. Now if an athlete rapes, drives around with guns or batters someone, I feel that they should be disciplined and scrutinized by the media. They signed up for that. You gotta be smart if u choose to do something illegal and that goes for anyone…..college athlete, student, 35 yr old working person, whatever. In most cases, if an athlete of any star power gets caught doing something minor it will get swept under the rug unless its a multiple offender or if they do something so bad that it can’t be covered up.

39. BluKudzu
    11:16 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

Some people believe that doing drugs and drinking in excess are actually traits of of individuals that are self centered. That is why people get DUIs I suppose, due to the blatant disregard they have for others? If such a statement is true, how does this individual mesh in the “team concept?” I understand people wishing to have a good time, I really do. I am somewhat diametric opposed to becoming a saint for all the stuff in my past. But here is the thing, fortunately for me, and I hope I can keep it this way for the rest of my life, I have not allowed myself to get in a situation that will hurt others in any way. We collectively can and will say that is just kids being kids, but one day, someone will have to pay the price for selfish actions of a person that is inebriated in some form, either on the athletic fields or behind the wheel of a vehicle, as we have had several years ago when the football team took a major hit as players were injured and had a fatality as a result.
    I find it difficult to sweep anything under the rug, for the sake of performance on the court. We all have to make good decisions, and in college, with the rest of your life in front of you, is not a place to vacate responsibility to yourself, your team, your family or friends.

40. BluKudzu
    11:58 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

So the question is: How important is a player’s off the field behavior to you?
    Ask the parents of the child that played Football for UK that died in an accident in which his team mate was the driver and all were intoxicated. Many lives were changed for the worse that day. That is why the UK – UT beer barrel trophy was barred from the games.

I think that should be explanation enough.

Occasionally a little thought should be utilized prior to posting such an insensitive question.

41. Tubby Smith
    12:13 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

We all brag about the character of Tubby Smith, and rightfully so. As far as we know, he is a great human being. But what is lost in all that was his judgement of character. If you go back and look at all the troubles that Tubby’s players and recruits got in, i think it would shock you. Obviously Michael Porter being the most serious. All that said, I don’t think it is Tubby’s fault that his players got in trouble, but it really is weird for a guy so highly regarded to have so many players get in some type of trouble.

42. chief_cat
    12:25 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

Actually this is a very thought provoking question. One the one hand there is the fact that kids will be kids. Young people at universities are typically experiencing “freedom” for the first time in their lives. They are apt to experiment, explore their new found “freedom”, and, in order to fit in with others, bow to peer pressure in order to be accepted in their new environment. I’m not sure why we expect that this phenomena doesn’t happen to student athletes as well. Just because the kid is a great athlete doesn’t mean he doesn’t somehow have the same urges as any other 18 y/o college student. When we judge the behavior of one of these young men or women, it is important to remember that they are still maturing. It’s easy to forget that when you are 30 – 50 years old.
    On the other hand, whether fair or not, as student athletes (and particularly as star athletes), we hold these kids to a higher standard. They represent not only themselves and their families, but also their team and their university. They are seen as role models to younger fans. Cal constantly points out that he can’t “hide” his players. This is true not only on the court, but off the court. It is hard to be a college athlete and live in obscurity, particularly at big time programs. Plus, not only do their actions affect them (degraded health, bad attitude, suspensions, etc.) but affect their teammates as well. As others have pointed out, one wonders about the commitment to become a better athlete and teammate if choices are consistently made that are detrimental to the individual and the team.

At the end of the day I think we have to give some latitude to these young athletes, remembering that they are young and will make immature decisions. At the same time we have to hope that the coaching staff and other people that have constant access to these young people are guiding them to make the best decisions for themselves and for their team. I try to remember the age and pressures these young athletes must endure whenever I hear about misdeeds. As long as they aren’t major offenses, I tend to not care. If they are major offenses or if a pattern of minor offenses occurs, that’s an entirely different story.

43. Jimmy Schmitt
    12:32 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

I am utterly ashamed of “fans” like you, BTI. Your post says a lot more about you and your moral standards than it does about the student athletes whom our university is charged with molding into young MEN and good citizens. Thank God Cal does not agree with you, and passes on guys like Drummond. The opinion you express is more that of a pathetic and corrupt mob bookie than a true fan of college athlete/acholars. With each post you make I understand better why you are the butt of so many KSR reader’s jokes, and the focus of their disgust.

44. Jimmy Schmitt
    12:35 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

#41. We certainly do NOT all brag about the character of Tubby Smith. Certainly not those who remember how he behaved behind the scenes here in Lexington, or how he was negotiating a contract with another institution while he was supposed to be coaching us in the tournament. And there are many reasons — none good — why he set the NCAA record for percent of recruits tranferring during his tenure here.
    I do not, however, blame him for Michael Porter’s horniness.

45. Tubby
    12:45 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

@44. The reason i said we all, including myself at times, is because 95% of UK fans will say when asked about Tubby’s coaching, “He was a great guy but….”. I don’t know him and have no clue what went on behind the scenes, i was just mainly pointing out for everyone who says he was a great guy, that he had so many players end up in some kind of trouble. My guesstimate without google would be at least 10+ players during his time here, which no one ever talks about when speaking of Tubby.

46. Bart Edwards
    12:56 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

Student athletes who have no respect for the law and no respect for authority will never be good representatives for any quality school, nor will they be good teammates. They tend to be spoiled, selfish babies who feel they are owed something because God gifted them with athletic abilities. Nothing could be further from the truth. They’re just losers, and they always will be. Substance abuse, academic fraud, vandalism, violence with teammates and others, and other irresponsible behavior are not funny, they are not “cool,” they don’t make you a man, and I do not want those kinds of losers ever representing my university. I would rather go 0-34 every year than field a squad of hooligans and losers. It would appear that for all of BTI’s whining about UNC’s academic frauds, he hopes UK will follow in the Tarheels’ footsteps if that gets us wins. I cannot abide that level of hypocrisy.
    It all comes down to what you value more highly in a human being: virtue and good citizenship, or being good at a GAME. I hope I have made clear what side I am on in that fight.

47. Brian The Idiot
    1:19 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

Right on BTI! You hit the nail on the head like you do with most of your opinions on that radio show you are associated with. Just because a kid is old enough to vote, own a house or car, fight for his or her country or start a business, it is still ok if they behave tonight in a way that makes it impossible to do something they are obligated to do tomorrow. I mean, come on people. Johnny is in only his 3rd year 0f adulthood. Mr. BTI, You should have your own radio network and blog so that your great knowledge and mature viewpoint can be spread more effectively. You are my hero.

48. rabble rabble rabble
    2:31 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

comment 10 is the best evidence against women voting, working, and driving.

49. Chris
    2:46 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

I went to UK and paid my way and I got to do whatever I wanted, within the law. But I paid my way to be there.
    Now that I am still paying my loans for some required classes about extinct Indians and a resume class taught by a teacher that graduated an ivy league school to work in a floral shop, I can honestly say that if someone gave me a full ride and an opportunity to advance my career, I would follow whatever rules they gave me.
    These kids ignore the rules because they see that many people like you ignore the consequences.

50. Smith
    3:34 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

This attitude of this writer is part of what’s wrong with college and professional sports. Yes we do care. We want to have athletes we can be proud of instead of a bunch of thugs like Petrino had at Louisvile.

51. Do whut?
    4:32 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

14) I feel confident in saying your estimates of alcohol and marijuana use are wildly inflated. My guess and hope is much, much less than half of college kids are likely to drink every weekend and I’m all but positive far fewer than 25% smoke weed at least once a week. I think sometimes we unfairly attribute our own behaviors to large numbers of other people perhaps to rationalize or minimize our choices.

52. Do whut?
    4:39 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

And BTI I take this to mean you root literally only for a jersey? Pray tell then what does that jersey represent? The very concept of regional sports fandom relies on shared identity as well as cultural values not just “blue makes my eyes pop!”. You really don’t care what the kids do as long as it’s not a major felony? Seriously? So we can also take it that you don’t really care about the kid inside the jersey. I guess that makes sense since as you alluded to your sole priority is the shirt wrapped around the kid. And you can stir passion for fabric? Fascinating.

53. Cats+Cal=Winner
    6:38 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think it matters one whit what BIT, or any other fan for that matter, thinks about the behavior of a player’s off court activities. It is what Coach Cal thinks about it and I don’t think he would put up with it for one minute. If he loses discipline of any one player and lets it slide, no matter how great they play, you’ve got Team Turmoil for sure. That is what team rules are for. Why don’t you let Cal take care of of player’s discipline (he is going to anyway) and save your talents for writing something worth reading.

54. Ron Burgandy
    12:03 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

79% of the time, its works every time.

55. Dee W.
    2:28 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

44 – “how he was negotiating a contract with another institution while he was supposed to be coaching us in the tournament.”

Absolutely no evidence to support this. Minnesota contacted Smith after UK was out of the tournament. Not like this is an indictment of his character even if this was true – if you are interested in another job you don’t stop doing the one you currently hold.

“Certainly not those who remember how he behaved behind the scenes here in Lexington”

Like all of his charitable work that continues to have a big positive impact to this day in the Lexington area?

You Tubby haters are amazing. Just one made up thing after another.

56. jsnake
    9:55 pm July 20, 2013 Permalink

I believe that these kids should represent the school with integrity. They do not need to be out drinking, smoking, breaking laws. We might love those players like John Wall, Gerald Fitch who had troubles, but we also love the good kids, too. The perfect example is Nerlens Noel. He had the skills on the court, but he also had his amazing charity work that he did all the time which made us love him even more. He was a great guy on and off the court.

The biggest difference between the players who have issues with behavior and the ones that don’t is the effort. Nerlens gave his all every single game, but others like Demarcus Cousins, who had behavior issues through the season, seemed to not give the full effort every game. That is why I would like to see more players of good character on the team.