BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Anyone else worried about 2011?

Does 2011 revolve around the improvement of Hood and Poole?

Just did some roster crunching after receiving an email saying that UK fans were TOO confident about the 2011 team, and I should a little research at the NBA Draft projections and actually lay out the potential roster for 2011.  So, that’s what I did.  And what I found has got me a little worried too.  First, here is this years roster:

Harrellson
Miller
Liggins
Hood
Knight
Jones
Lamb
Poole
Vargas
Polson

We know Harrellson is gone.  We can also be rest assured that Terrence Jones is gone, considering every projection has him as a lottery pick.  According the nbadraft.net, Brandon Knight is projected as the 19th pick in the first round this year.  Is that enough for him to leave?  And what about Doron Lamb?  Matt has said many times that there is nobody on the team that wants to go to the NBA more than Lamb.  What if he takes the Daniel Orton route and leaves town with no guarantee of 1st round status?  With Jones, Knight, and Lamb all gone, the roster would look like this for 2011:

Miller
Liggins
Teague
Gilchrist
Davis
Wiltjer
Hood
Poole
Vargas
Beckham
Polson

Folks, that still is not a deep team.  Add the 4 man class to Miller and Liggins, and that is still 6 man rotation.  Certainly, Hood or Poole could improve and become serious contributors on the team.  But, is that what we are resting our hopes for a deeper 2011 team on?  Hood and Poole?  Plus, with the loss of Harrellson, that leaves Davis as the only true big man on the roster, unless you want to hold out hope that Vargas improves.  So, if Knight and Lamb leave, the 2011 squad will likely have the same issues (depth and post play) as this year’s team.

The fanbase has looked ahead to 2011 as THE YEAR.  Certainly, this 2011 recruiting class will do that to you.  But, the 2011 squad only becomes a great team on paper if the 2010 RECRUITS hang around.  And with a good remainder of the season, Knight could certainly vault to the lottery, and Lamb could be this year’s Daniel Orton.  While I would still consider that a long shot, it’s not out of the realm that UK will lose all 3.  And if that happens, will the 2011 recruits be enough to fill those holes?

This is just the negativity in me coming out.  Because I think the odds are certainly in UK’s favor than Knight and/or Lamb hang around for another year.  But, I will now admit that until we know which players are coming back for 2011, it is way premature to start engraving UK on the national title trophy.  My advice: let’s just continue to back this team we have now, and worry about 2011 in November.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

102 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Anyone else worried about 2011?

1. Great
    10:07 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

You forgot our walk on transfer

2. BA40
    10:10 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Is Wiltjer not a big guy? Isn’t he 6’9? Cal I’m sure regardless of anybody leaving plans on adding 1 or 2 more to this class so we don’t have a repeat of this years depth. Chill out man.

3. justlew
    10:10 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Surely Liggins and Miller as seniors will be able to play roles similar to Patterson. Also, Knight being the student he is may have more interest in school.

4. What's your point?
    10:11 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

If your conclusion is that we shouldn’t worry about it till November 2011, why did you even write the article? Seems pretty pointless to me.

5. 193
    10:11 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

aren’t we still looking to add a big man JUCO transfer to this class? that would certainly help with size and depth

6. UK22
    10:11 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Well said BTI. Lets keep focusing on our current team at hand.

7. drewsster02
    10:11 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

We need Trevor Lacey & one more big man. I can’t believe you are just figuring this out with the big man issue.

8. JaxCat07
    10:14 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

I’m not concerned with having the BEST recruiting class of ALL TIME. Add Miller and Liggins, and we are the #1 team in the nation. Throw in any one of Knight/Lamb/Jones, we could go undefeated.

9. willdcat1
    10:15 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Wiltjer is 6’9″, but w/ perimeter skills; not sure if he’s considered a banger/paint guy, or not. I agree, another big body is called for. Doesn’t have to be a top-20 guy, but a coachable type, who will defend/rebound, dole out punishment to UF guards who dare venture into the lane. Isn’t there a KY kid somewhere w/ that size, who would love to play at UK?

10. mudcat
    10:15 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

We still could add Trevor Lacey and God’s Gift to next years roster. Also, I have read that Andre Drummond could reclassify and he is another STUD and Cal’s top recruit for 2012. If we have spots to fill, Cal will do it. I am just hoping either Lamb or Knight stays…that is all we need.

11. bti fails as usual
    10:17 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

BTI, check it out.
    I will guarantee you that all 3 don’t go pro.

There is no way all 3 go pro, which means we have depth, which means you just wasted my time yet again.

Combine that with the fact that stat-master BTI doesn’t even have our roster correct for next year and you get a full serving of failure from BTI.

12. BigBlueBrock
    10:18 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Also, typical BTI post. Long on words, short on material. By the way, we are currently in the middle of the 2011 season. NEXT season is 2012. So to correctly ask the question about NEXT season, you have to say “Anyone else worried about 2012?” To which the answer is still a resounding “NO!”

13. mudcat
    10:19 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Another Juco that is on UK’s radar is Stan Simpson( 6’10” 235 )

14. _Blackhawk_
    10:19 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

I think Poole can and will improve just as I think Hood will but Lamb jumping like Orton is crazy to me. The kid can shoot but if he left right now he would not be drafted and would end up playing with Orton for a couple of years before making an NBA team. Stay and work on your defense Doron. (tied with Jorts for 5th in steals on the team, ugh) Personally I think they all need one more year. If they stay you’d have Jones a lottery pick along with Knight and maybe just maybe Davis and Gilchrist. Be nice to send 4 1st rounders to the league as NCAA Champions. #stayandmakeithappenjonesandknight

15. catfan79
    10:21 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

your extensive research left out twany beckham. good job.

16. Hugo Stiglets
    10:23 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

bye week post

17. JonHood's Twitter Account
    10:23 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

I can defend against teams like Indiana that have Slow White Guys!

18. bigjuan34
    10:24 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Stan Simpson is not very good at all. I have seen him play and he is not a game changer at all.

19. UK_Football_Fan
    10:24 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

The flip side is that if Knight and Lamb come back, we have 7 studs and at least a couple more serviceable players.

20. mudcat
    10:29 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

19. I have looked at his numbers and thought the same thing. I guess Cal is looking at some more beef. Does he offer more than Eloy?

21. UKFanInCiny
    10:31 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

BTI is making friends here as usual. I wish i never even read this post.

22. Cristoforouk
    10:32 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

I don’t know anyone that is worried about next year. Jones is probably gone, although it will be a long time before he is an impact player in the NBA. His game is way too predictable.

Knight will be back. No way he leaves. He’s here at least two years. If Lamb wants to go that bad, he could, but only if he raises his stock the last part of this season. He obviously can shoot, but he has been really inconsistent in all other facets of the game.

Cal will add at least one more to the class, more than likely Lacey. Then maybe a JUCO big guy. Don’t forget that Wiltjer can bang. He is not overly athletic, and has good perimeter skills offensively, but he is a big kid who can rebound. Not to mention we will be tall and long at every position except point guard.

We will be fine. No need to worry. If for some reason all three of those guys leave, our expectations need to be tempered a little, but we will still be a top 10 team capable of winning it all.

23. NBA Lockout
    10:33 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Don’t forget about me! I could change some things.

24. CatCrazy 4 Life
    10:36 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

How can you compare what Doron Lamb has done to what Orton did/didn’t do last year?

25. BlueMark
    10:36 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

I have said for months that I was worried about our interior play next season, even if Jones comes back. Wiltjer and Davis may be studs, but Davis is a beanpole and they both will be freshmen. Most freshmen big men play a lot more like Orton than Cousins, a Terrence Jones, even if he stays, is not really a 5. God help us if Vargas has to start at the 5.

26. Petee thameltoe
    10:38 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

When is the concern coming out about the 2012 an 2013 teams? Lol. What if all the recruits in 2011 go pro, then the rules change to be able to go pro after hs. Then shabazz decides to stay only one year. We are only left with hood, polson, and beckman…we need depth. Then 2014 what will we do!!! Going into panic mode! Lock up the wife and kids, its gonna be crazy. Just kidding.

27. Brink
    10:38 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

I love how some of you keep saying there is “NO WAY”. Do you remember last year at all?? There was “NO WAY” Orton or Bledsoe were leaving.

28. TrinityPills
    10:38 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Don’t need a player with game changing skills to be a “game changer” in the post for Cal’s system. I would trade 10 Jon Hoods for 1 Joey Dorsey who averaged less than 7 points and around 8 boards per game for his career at Memphis. Kid wasn’t a great talent with the ball in his hands, but he did what he needed to do on the interior to keep opponents honest and move people around.

29. kentuckyjoe
    10:38 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

I like your last bolded sentence the best. I love this team and am expecting big things from them. I’m just looking forward to Saturday and the rest of this season.

30. knightynight
    10:40 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

I figured out what Poole’s problem is….he doesn’t even know where the basket is. Look at the picture. That shot is definitely not going in…

31. Reynolds Wrap
    10:41 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

All Im saying is NBA LOCKOUT

32. Franklin Covey
    10:41 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

this is 2011, moron. go write for another board.

33. Truth
    10:44 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Jon Davis will be a CAT! Mark it down!

34. 2020
    10:46 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

More worried about KSR next year with Jones gone and BTI’s stupid posts than I am about the 2012 squad. Can we all agree we’re nervous about that?

35. minton
    10:47 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

This is worst case scenario. You are assuming everyone leaves for the NBA and nobody else steps up there game. If just 1 player among Jones, Knight and Lamb stays we fill 1 spot. If someone fro the bench steps up, that’s another. I don’t think we will have a really deep bench, but i think it will certainly improve from this year. I don’t see all 3 going to the NBA yet. Maybe 2, but not 3. And, surely someone from the bench will step it up by then.

36. Diaper Candy
    10:47 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Sure am glad I took your advice at the end. I had already given up on this year’s 15-4 season and was just looking forward to the next season, like most other fans.

37. NegativeForNoReason
    10:48 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Continue to enjoy the process….Relax.

38. Bryan the Intern
    10:48 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

33) Nah, I am pretty comfortable here at KSR.

39. The Oval Office
    10:48 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

“And what I found has got me a little worried too.” – BTI

“My advice: let’s just continue to back this team we have now, and worry about 2011 in November.”

So this means you’re asking US to take YOUR advice, when you yourself do not take it?

Really?!

40. huge ky fan
    10:50 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

ight so on the second line up i thought he was sayin knight was comin back, but i guess they think that he aint. so if thats our 2011 team startin line up should be
    pg teague
    sg liggins
    sf gilchrist or miller
    pf wiltjer
    c davis
    well this post is kind of nuts cause the startin line up is already better. plus our bench will be deeper but we are goin to need vargas to change his shit. thats the main person on the bench that we really need to step up.

41. Grammar King
    10:51 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

LOL @ #31

42. Brian
    10:52 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Here is the information for the fund for the sister of KU basketball player that just lost his mother.

43. ThreeBux
    10:53 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

we need some Bigs bad…….

44. Eloy Vargas
    10:57 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Disturbing, isn’t it…that I might actually be back next year? Even Ithink I’m a waste ofa scholly.

45. Doubting Thomas
    10:57 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Let’s don’t give up on our guys winning it all this year. I know most of you think we have no chance but if Jorts and Jones step up and we can get a little help from Hood, Vargas and Poole, I believe we have a punchers chance of winning this year. Let’s worry about next year when it gets here.

46. right said fred
    11:01 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Orton is a 6’10” C/PF and Lamb is a 6’4″ guard. It is a lot easier to find a 6’4″ 2 guard than it is a 6’10” post with upside. There are several 2 guards around the college basketball landscape that are as talented or more talented at this point than Doron. I am not saying he will not be a pro some day but just not this year. To even compare Lamb’s draft status to Orton’s shows your lack of knowledge of basketball and sports in general. Sorry BTI but you are the worst writer on this site and definately the biggest Negative Nancy too.

47. Bundy
    11:06 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Lacey will add a lot of depth…especially offensively. Kind of like Lamb this year. I agree that we need another big. One with strength and toughness. Does not really need to be able to score, just rebound and defend. Maybe a late bloomer, or a JUCO transfer.

48. buddylove
    11:08 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

BTI = Best Tipton Impersonator

49. Chuck Hayes jockstrap
    11:09 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

How do you not mention the looming lock out? That could be the best thing to ever happen to UK that was completely out of their hands. Cal will push kids out if they are lottery picks….but will he do that with a lock out? All I’ve read is that NBA execs and players are preparing for missing at least some of next season….they just don’t know how much.

People like me are excited because we could return all undergrad players AND add 2011’s epic class. Depth and experience. Not at least mentioning the lock out is either being lazy or just completely ignoring what will become the biggest story for the NBA and NCAA basketball in quite some time.

50. F.McWhiskers
    11:10 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

“And if that happens, will the 2011 recruits be enough to fill those holes?”
    I’m pretty sure once these kids get on campus that they won’t have any problems filling holes…

51. _Blackhawk_
    11:15 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

#47 – your assement is correct on the situation and I think BTI would agree with you since all he said is that Lamb really wants to go to the NBA and might pull an Orton (leaving when most think you should stay). He never got into whether he should or shouldn’t based on size/position/talent….just a noting that the kid really wants to go to the NBA and sometimes that clouts ones judgement. Just like since you think BTI is the worst on here he said something that he didn’t. Remember this is a what if senrio should those 3 guys leave and not a here’s why he is going to leave.

52. WHO'SBLU4U
    11:24 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

I might be a little wishful, but I don’t see Terrence leaving this year as a deffinite! There is also still a possibility for a lock out(what a team 2011)! We really need another post player and another 2-3 man, which I beleive Cal will get, but we will learn from this years downfalls and recruit accordingly. We coud also pull some scholarships from those not producing. Harsh? Yes but what are we willing to give up for a run at a title?

53. DavidStern
    11:24 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

NBA Lockout you dumbasses..No body leaves but Harrellson.

54. Even if
    11:27 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Even if Knight and Lamb stay, our front line next year is enough to cause concern. Davis and Wiljer are talented no doubt, but they aren’t exactly hosses. In terms of strength and toughness, our front line takes a step backwards next year (assuming Jones leaves).

55. Andrew
    11:27 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

This is a joke post. We have 4 players coming in at least as good as Lamb and Liggins and Miller will be there. Hood has always been a Jr guy. And for you guys with little info…we are not done with the 2011 class.

56. Lou eaton
    11:29 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

No doubt we need more beef but a shooter like Lacey can lessen the pain if we are exchanging twos for threes…we need this guy..

57. SAUL SHMITT
    11:31 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

#31. YOU NAILED IT. THAT’S A TOUGH SHOT EVEN FOR THE BEST H-O-R-S-E PLAYERS!

58. MammaKin
    11:31 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

…..Why was this writen. Stop shacking the bees nest.

Lamb to NBA this year…No..Unless he wants his nickname to be Scotty Thurman. Orton was almost 7 feet tall….Lamb….isn’t. How many proven gaurds with more up side are coming out…..enough to keep lamb another year unless, again, S.Thurman is what he wants to change his name to.

Two. Gilchrist, Davis, Teague ……uh…uh…..Liggins D. Millers…I’m blank on this one…but anyway….uhhhhh Yeah pretty SICK starting five. But I’m sure you would rather have Billy G recruites and a full bench right…No? Then shut up!

59. Bradey
    11:38 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

If Coach Cal brings in the #1 class each year, but loses them the following year and doesn’t win a National Championship then everything that is has done will be pointless. I understand last years class was special and most were right on with the decision, but if each year we lose our best players, with none of them returning the following year is going to hurt us every year!! I love the way they play and I love the coaching staff, but UK basketball is measured by NCAA Championships, and this is year two. I don’t think this team is going to win it all, then at the end of the year they will all be gone.

60. Cristoforouk
    11:41 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Good point on the lockout. This game can be played the other way too. There’s a lockout and ALL OF THEM COME BACK. Can go either way. And with the way Cal recruits, and who he recruits, this will be the situation every single year. We’ll have will he or won’t he players every spring.

61. smartsa$$
    11:46 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

#33…next season’s incoming class is the 2011 class…Knight, Lamb,Jones are the class of 2010.You can go to Rivals or Scout and check it out for yourself…moron!

62. Peter Griffin Voice (You think that's bad...)
    11:48 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

The 2012 team projects as Hood, Poole, Polson, maybe Wiltjier and…?

With all the uncertainty of our recruiting class for that year its 2012 not 2011 that should worry us.

Let’s hope Muhammad picks us over Duke and UCLA. Let’s hope Goodwin picks us over homestate Arkansas. Let’s hope Drummond picks us over homestate UCONN. Let’s hope Ellis picks us over homestate Kansas. Let’s hope Coleman picks us over homestate Syracuse. Let’s hope Rose even considers us. Let’s hope Tokoto picks us over Duke or UNC.

That’s a hell-of-a-lot resting on hope

63. right said fred
    11:49 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

#52 I still stand beside my opinion that he is the worst writer and the biggest Negative Nancy on this site whether I interpreted his post wrong or not. I get that it is his rants and ramblings but most of the time they make no sense and have a Tipton slant.

64. Esteban
    11:51 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

sick of BTI. you are the most negative bastard ever…top recruiting class of all time possibly and you are still whining about how we might not be good enough. do everyone a favor and quit posting on here please

65. cats
    11:53 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

Davis is not a true big. There would be no ‘true’ big other than Vargas. Davis was a Guard a year and a half ago and just grew like a foot. Gilchrist has the best post move in our class, but he is only 6’7 and not really a post player. Next year will be a true dribble drive team. but without lacey or lamb we have no shooter again like last year.

66. Esteban
    11:55 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

agreed 35 well put

67. SDGoldWinger
    11:56 am January 26, 2011 Permalink

More sad days for UK are on the horizon. One-and-done players will never win championships. We’ll win 25-30+ games a year with early exits in the NCAA tournaments. That is a bummer.

68. CvilleWildcat
    12:05 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

Correctio, we start worrying about the 2011 team right after the tournament. Doesn’t matter if UK loses in the first round or wins it all, we start looking at 2011 this spring. Then we will know who is leaving and who is staying. Another year for Lamb would almost make him a 1st round lock, IMO. With the talent that will be around him next year, the defense will have to key on others and should allow him with more open looks. I know Orton went in the first but had he stayed and remained healthy, he could have been in the top three big men in the country.

69. Bad Post
    12:14 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

How is 2011 not going to be special? 3 of the top 5 players and another 5 star…Liggins and Miller, guaranteed you atleast one freshman stays

70. Mark Liptak
    12:14 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

The joker in all this line of discussion is the NBA labor situation. There still appears to be a real chance of a lockout this summer…if that’s the case there is no draft in June. These kids will have to make a major decision on if they still want to leave and potentially have only an option of playing overseas or staying at UK.

Keep in minhd if despite the labor issues, they do leave, there are going to be a lot of guys trying to get only a few spots in the European leagues that pay a good salary.

I think some of these kids are probably going to stick around for another year at UK if it doesn’t look like the NBA and the players can make headway.

Mark Liptak

71. Lolcats
    12:19 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

BTI… gdit…

72. TreyDay
    12:26 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

#28 is absolutely right. Jones is gone and so is Knight, they are both lottos. Lamb is only possibility and he will probably go anyways and not make 1st round.
    It’s the way KY basketball will be with Cal coaching. He shows no resistance in sending players on to the next level and that is why they enjoy playing for him and he is a good recruiter. We need to add Lacey for more depth at G if that happens, and one more beast down low. Cal will find one.

73. Andy
    12:31 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

Look at the time line for the lock out. It will not occur until after the draft anyway. These kids will have to make a decision before then.

74. Cat in the Hat
    12:34 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

One and dones are never going to get it done ! No NCAA titles recruiting this way. Period.

75. Jonah Hex
    12:45 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

“The greatest night in KY basketball history,” comes back to haunt us again. Think about it- that night has a trickle down effect felt even next year.

76. bung
    1:07 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

Hood can do it.

77. WHO'SBLU4U
    1:10 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

#75 Where does rivals & Scout have Austin Rivers? Where is he going? When did Duke last win a title? Everybody recruits the best period. Only a few can land them, & only one so far since he moved to Kentucky way back year and half ago, can land multiple elite talent in the same year give him a chance. We were one Enes away from title this year, and one Xavia Henry away from it last year! GO CAL get them all!

78. The English Language
    1:14 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

BTI, we can ‘rest assured’. We cannot ‘be rest assured’. Rest is a verb. However, in this case, the only think we should rest assured of is that our next recruiting class is potentially the best class ever. That’s enough for me, for now.

79. meow
    1:20 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

BTI you are dumb. there is no way both knight and lamb leave… At least one of them will stay, but most likely both. I was talking to knight in december in front of tally ho’s, and he told me he was definitely coming back next year. I predict a definite undefeated season in 2011-2012… we WILL be unstoppable.

80. ......
    1:23 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

Man I REALLY HATE UK fans sometimes! And I am one.
    #75…really you’d rather have Billy G and Tubby (last 4 Yaers) recruits….REALLY

#68…Are the two of you Touched in the head?!?!?! The man is in only his SECOND season…..WTF are you talking about….We’ve had ONE!!!!! Turn over from season to season so far and you already are playing Know-it-all.
    Would the two of you and anyone else like you PLEASE..PLEASE be a fan of another team….PLEASE….And you all think people hate UK because there “the Best progarm Ever”….
    I think it’s because of ‘fans’ like you they hate UK…..

81. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1:24 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

Jones = GONE
    Knight = GONE

Both are projected lottery picks.

Lamb = STAY
    The reason is simple. He is not on ANYONE’S draft board for this year. Not even second round.
    The difference with Orton was that him and Bledsoe both were on draft boards (whether the first or second round). Lamb is not on there.

82. tangledupinblue
    1:25 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

74- I can’t believe more people don’t know this . I am curious to see if the ncaa makes some kind of provision for the kids sake .

83. CrunkieBrewster
    1:48 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

BTI is a moron, and I are #81 …. #75 and #68 are douche bags.

84. CrunkieBrewster
    1:48 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

*agree

85. Jason Ryan
    1:51 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

We can pray for a lockout, let go of some of the non performers and give out some more scholarships to add some depth, i still hold faith in eloy, maybe in the offseason he can go to some big man camps and come back with the skills and potential we know hes capable of possesing

86. twnky
    1:57 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

Knight and Lamb will be back for sure. Im not so sure about TJ…. the way he tries to score in the paint wont work in the nba at his position, not to mention his lack of consistancy. I hope cal gets in his ear and tells him he might need another year at UK so his game will translate better in the L. IMHO.

87. old-school
    2:07 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

My concern is that this will be the third consecutive year that we’re pinning our hopeson FRESHMEN. It’s hard to ask 18-year-old boys to compete against programs that stockpile players who like to stay three and four years.

Jones is a great talent – but he’s still a freshman and therefore has had some growing pains and is somewhat inconsistant. It’s going to be the same with next year’s freshman – and most of those highly touted Frosh come to Lexington with dreams of leaving after one year.

Face it – Calipari has already spoken to this and confirmed this with his own words. UK is not a program that concerns itself with NCAA Titles anymore – we’re about being a casting couch for the NBA.

The sooner UK fans wake up and realize we’ve been played by a coach who wants to shortcut his way to success with amazing talent by promising them a fast track to the league, the sooner will make the hard decisino and go after a coach who is willing to build a program around student-athletes who are good if not great recruits, but who become great players and best yet – a great team.

That’s the formula for success. It’s not easy and it’s not done overnight. It takes patience and after Gillespie – too many UK fans ran out of that.

Let’s ship Calipari out to UNLV which would be a fitting place. He can rack up 30-plus wins a season in a poor league, advance in the tourney to the roudn of final eight and lose to experienced teams like Kansas, Purdue, Wisconsin or just about any Big East team.

Meanwhile, Kentucky can find a coach who is willing to put in the hard work of not just recruiting, but also coaching and developing a team for the long-haul and one whose ultimate goal won’t be sending five players on state with David Stern in July, but will be cutting down the nets on the first Monday in April.

Time to refocus Cat fans!

88. cracka
    2:16 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

lamb is not going pro … yeah, orton and bledsoe went we didn’t really think they might, but both of those guys had nba bodies already and let’s face it, neither cared about being in college AT ALL, prob couldn’t have made it another year in school

89. Brian
    2:22 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

One year at a time, please…

90. Players fan
    2:22 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

Knight, Jones, and Lamb all have the talent to be sucessful in NBA, but in my opinion none are ready physically, Wall, Bledsoe, and Cousins. Of course some team might take them and bench them for a couple of years, until they have the body, but if I were those three I would think hard about that, when with one year of bodybuilding, all three would be terrific.

91. Cristoforouk
    2:27 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

Just because Knight is projected lottery does not mean he will go. The kid values his education a ton. Don’t forget about that. Not to mention Calipari does not PUSH kids out. He tells them to go when they are ready. IMO, Knight is nowhere near ready to be a NBA point guard. Along those same lines, I don’t think Jones is anywhere near ready to be an impact player in the NBA, but he will get drafted really high based on potential and his unique set of skills. I think he could go either way, stay or go.

88 – You can’t have it both ways. Kids leave UNC, Duke, Kansas, etc early all the time. Calipari just gets the best of the best every year so more leave. Would you really want Calipari to say “I’m not going to recruit Anthony Davis because he will probably leave early so let me go after a 4 star player”? I sure don’t. Until they change the NBA rule this will be common at all the top schools. Maybe Calipari just develops his talent better than Coach K, Old Roy, Self, etc.

92. William Braskey
    2:45 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

If this happens, which is a big “if”, we would be in the same shape as this year, but with a legit guy at each position. And I don’t see Knight leaving, and Lacy comes if Lamb leaves, but for your argument’s sake.

2010
    Knight-freshman combo-guard
    Liggins-junior D specialist
    Miller-junior wing with low motor
    Jones-freshman enigma dominant sometimes, disapears others
    Harrelson-senior garbage man that struggles against decent big men
    Lamb-freshman scorer that lacks consistant effort

That’s it, that’s the roster 20 games in

2011
    Teague-freshman point guard
    Liggins-senior D specialist
    Gilchrest-freshman with never ending motor
    Miller-senior wing with improving? motor
    Davis-freshman big man that can score from inside out
    Wiltjer-freshman 4 man that is said to have most polished inside game of 2011 PF’s
    Beckham-reserve combo will give breathers and provide experience to young team

So right there we have a better situation than this year with Poole, Polson and Hood not possibly bringing less than has been given this year.

93. poorhartline
    2:49 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

we are stacked at the 3 position, but will be shit in the post again. knight needs to stay, he doesn’t really seem like he can make it in the nba…poor passing decisions, better 2 guard but doesn’t have height…

94. Cheaaaa
    3:11 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

Here is an equally intriguing question:

Who would start in the 2011-2012 season and in what posisitions if all 3 were to come back?

I say:
    Teague at 1
    Knight at 2
    Jones at 3
    Gilchrist at 4
    Davis at 5

That means Miller (who has started 3 consecutive years) would not start, Lamb (who we’re talking about potentially leaving for the NBA early and at one time this season dropped 35 points in a game) would not start, nor would Liggins (a senior by then) or Wiltjer (a very underappreciated recruit). I think Vargas will and probably should transfer.

Finally, I do want to say that if Knight or Lamb were on any other team in America they would be crazy for even thinking about going to the league after this season. However, their stock may be higher this year than it may be next year when they’ll be first to share time with some serious diper dandies. It’s almost like they’re being forced out…If however, they all agree to stay for next year (which I doubt will happen), expect 6 if not 7 players from next years squad to enter the NBA. This of course will shatter Wall and company’s departure accomplishments last year, but where will it leave UK in the 2012-2013 season? What do you think?

95. Columbia Cat
    3:14 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

Why do you begin your article with: Anyone else worried about 2011? Then end by stating: let’s just continue to back this team we have now, and worry about 2011 in November. It doesn`t make any sense.
    Yes we could use some beef (enforcer type) in the paint next season. I like Drummond. Is he elgible next year?

96. Evan Sawyer
    4:27 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

Cal has not said that he is done adding players for next year’s team. To take this into consideration, at this point last year, this year’s team would have been:

Miller
    Liggins
    Harrellson
    Hood
    Poole

Obviously, our team this year does not have 5 players. So the fact that you think that not only are we losing Knight, Lamb, and Jones, but also not adding anyone else is ridiculous.

97. Lex07
    4:32 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

The decision to go pro has nothing to do with how ready the player is to play at the next level. It comes down to how ready the player is to be positioned in the draft for a very good contract. Thus, Jones absolutely HAS to go- he is a Lottery Pick. Knight is on the edge, and a really good end to the season could push him into the lottery, as well. Quit worrying about their games and just look at the DRAFT BOARDS.

98. locukfan
    4:51 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

1. Knight will be here at least 2 years.. His mom has said this..
    2. Lamb will be here THREE years AT LEAST.. He is a SG.. With good athleticism, but not great.. If you think other wise you are delusional.. He wont get drafted if he leaves this year..
    3. Next years class is better than this years.. Gilchrist, Teague, Davis, Wiltjer. And we will likely add some more.. Cal is not done for 2011.
    4. The guy that wants to get rid of Coach Cal is a complete idiot.. A moron.. And likely a Memphis Tigers fan with an agenda..
    5. This season isnt over yet.. We still got some damage to cause THIS year..
    6. If Coach Cal can get to the championship game at memphis and a FF at Umass.. What do you think he can do at UK??
    7. Cal will build a DYNASTY at UK.. We just have to sit back and enjoy the ride.
    8. Did I mention anyone that wants Cal gone is a moron? A complete idiot that has ZERO knowledge of the game of basketball?

GO BIG BLUE!!!!!

99. 2012
    6:58 pm January 26, 2011 Permalink

99-right on. Knight told me he’s coming back outside of JJ’s one night back in October. We win it all next year if that happens. We signed 2 instant program-changers in Gilchrist and Teague and 2 Blue-chip potential guys in Davis and Wiltjer who can both rebound. We might average 80 ppg next season.
    PG-M. Teague
    SG-B. Knight
    SF-M. Gilchrist
    PF-D. Miller
    C-A. Davis

Cal’s Cats will cut down the nets. Just too much talent couldn’t lose if they tried. Can’t wait to see them form an identity. Would give the ’96, ’04, and ’10 teams fits. Go Cats!!!

100. Bangin
    2:25 am January 27, 2011 Permalink

Free Vargas this year BTI…….Worry about next year after the draft(IF)!
    Peace out

101. BG
    8:56 am January 27, 2011 Permalink

Just saw Paducah Tilghman star Josh Forrest (UK Football signee) play basketball the other night..Wow, this guy can play on the hardwood! Very quick and runs the court great. Probably the best in the 1st region. Wonder if he could suit up for the B ball cats next year….

102. indiana uk fan
    4:20 pm January 27, 2011 Permalink

we should at least have lamb back and we will be alot better next year!!!!!!