1) An Improved Offensive Line. I am willing to give the O-line, which was considered a strength, one bad game. But if they have a 2nd consecutive poor outing, against another mediocre opponent, then it is time to start worrying. Because it doesn’t matter how much Newton improves or Josh Clemons is talented, if they get no protection, it doesnt matter. And frankly, if UK can’t block WKU or Central Michigan, I shiver at what an LSU or Florida is going to do.
2) Better Decision Making from Morgan Newton. Say what you want about the WR drops and what that did to Newton’s stats, he did make some VERY BAD decisions against Western. For a junior QB to have a couple of the interceptions he did worries me. If Newton is throwing an accurate deep ball and making solid decisions on the short passes, I don’t really care about the drops. This season revolves around Newton.
3) More Fire from Joker Phillips. Is it just me or does Joker look almost bored on the sidelines. He is constantly taking notes. What’s odd is that we hear that he is tough on the players during practice, but during that awful performance against Western, he was rarely seen screaming. I’m sure that was just television not showing him as often, but still. I dare to say that the emotions I see from Joker on the sideline are Kragthorpian. I want to see emotion from Joker, on the good and the bad. I want to see a Rich Brooks-chest bump. I want to see him cursing the crap out of a wideout for a drop. I want to see him care. And I know deep down he does, probably more than any of us, but it doesn’t seem to show up on the sidelines.
4) Appropriate Crowd Reaction. I’m frustrated. You’re frustrated. But that is no reason to be negative from the opening kick. I really hope there is an excited crowd for the first home game. A crowd that is loud and pumped for their currently undefeated team. Now, if UK puts another poor performance together, then I leave it up to you to show your displeasure. I just hope that Commonwealth is actually an ADVANTAGE for the Cats Saturday, and not a negative.
5) A Win. Plain and simple, you have to win. Central Michigan might actually be worse than WKU. And this game is at home. And we are now just a week away from Louisville. I hope to see a much better performance, but even if we don’t, UK has to figure out a way to win. A loss would ruin the season, in my opinion, because the fans would be gone. There would 0% excitement in the program.