BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: 5 things we HAVE to see tomorrow

1. Established running game: The last 15 winners of this game have won the rushing battle. UL’s offensive line is pitiful, so their rushing game should not be an issue. UK’s offensive line is supposed to be its strength, and they get Matt Smith back at center. Plus, Josh Clemons is going to see a lot of carries, which seems like a good thing. For two teams who really lack big play potential, being able to control the clock with the rushing game will be huge.

2. Spirited Start: The last 10 winners of this game have scored 1st. Kentucky has been flat at the beginning of both games this season. If Louisville scores early, it will take any noise from the Commonwealth Crowd out of it, and it basically becomes a neutral site game. Plus, UL’s confidence is on edge right now, so an early UK score could really destroy their morale.

3. More Variety in the Playcalling: For 7 quarters, we saw as vanilla an offense as one could imagine. Then in the 4th quarter against CMU, Kentucky mixed up the playcalling, had several runs to the edges as opposed to up the middle, and some designed Newton runs. Hopefully, Joker has been holding back the playbook some, and it poised to strike with some more variety tomorrow.

4. A Sellout: Cmon Cats fans. I get that the team hasn’t been thoroughly impressive in the first 2 weeks, but this is supposed to be one of our main rivals, and state bragging rights are on the line. I get that UL did not sell out their allotment of tickets, and the price has become a bit steep. But, it’s hard to say this fanbase can EVER become a big time fanbase if you can’t even sell out your rival when the team in undefeated. Make this game a true homefield advantage for the Cats.

5. A Win. As always, a win is really a must tomorrow. I’m sorry, but this UL team is worse than any of the teams Kentucky has played the last 4 years. And this game is at home. Before the season, I could envision a UL win, and be OK with that. After watching them play, I will be incredibly dissappointed in Joker and the guys if they drop this game tomorrow. If Kentucky executes like they are supposed to, the Cats will win. They are just more experienced and talented than UL. But, if the Cats perform like they have so far, a loss could be in the Cards. A win is a must.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

33 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: 5 things we HAVE to see tomorrow

1. Hoss
    9:11 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

I LOATHE Chip Cosby. What a f-stick that tool is.

2. Jimmy Buffett
    9:15 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

The game isn’t sold out due to the ‘Joker Effect”

3. James
    9:24 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

all of the student tickets are sold out now they are selling all the away tickets in sec 232 that the L flippers and crown sippers did not buy.

4. Will
    9:29 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

I think this game will be like no other in this series. This series is always decided on the best running game, however I’m thinking this game is going to be decided by who has the best passing game. Lets face it at this point in the game both Offensive Lines suck. Unless UK gets there act together and start playing then both offensive lines will continue to suck so its going to be hard to get a consistent running game going on either side. This is why I think it will be decided by the passing games, who can control the ball using there passing game.

5. doug shows
    9:29 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

How does a chronic stutterer get a radio show? (Brohm)

6. kd
    9:30 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

Will Muschamp said he is worried about next week that Morgan Newton is like a former Qb he had to go against at Texas everyday. Charlie Weis said that nuclear minter defense is the best scheme he has ever faced.upset alert!

7. ThankfulCat
    9:40 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

Remaining tickets start at $69 each.

Nah, I’ll watch at home

8. Nutter Butter
    9:41 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

I have not seen anything from this team this year or last that would make me want to fork over $75 to see them in person.

9. Reality
    9:44 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

LET’S GET THIS STRAIGHT! IF UK ATHLETICS WANT ME TO SHELL OUT $75 FOR CRAPPY FOOTBALL, THEY’RE DILUSIONAL.

10. 84Cat
    9:47 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

$75(81) for a single ticket is just too much in this economy. Whoever decided to jack the price this much is just brilliant.

11. Hoss
    9:49 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

I’ve heard 2 different folks (professional pickers on the radio) pick Central Florida to upset FIU this weekend.

12. PaintItBlue
    9:51 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

I know Clemons will get more carries but don’t get pissed if he doesn’t get as much as you expect as he still hasn’t proven he can pick up his blocking assignments in passing situations

13. SexnNursinHomes
    9:53 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

I just need bragging rights. don’t care how ugly a UK win looks.

14. PaintItBlue
    9:53 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

and 4)… you are stupid

15. The Site Character
    9:54 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

Why do you think we lack big play potential? Do you stop watching at half time?

16. Hoss
    9:59 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

Never mind… Carolina Steve just said he thought CFU wins by 3 td’s.

17. Hoss
    10:00 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

*UCF

18. Buzzard
    10:01 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

to say that the game becomes a ‘neutral site’ if Uof L scores first is stupid.

19. Ben
    10:08 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

Blame KY for getting greedy! 75.00 to stick it to Louisville Fans has back-fired on KY! Sell the remaining tickets at Kroger for ten dollars if you want a sell out. Louisville fans are so used to getting them that way!

20. Lex07
    10:27 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

Who needs a punk kid to talk about “big time fanbases” when there are those of us who have been driving over to Commonwealth and sitting through mediocrity since before you were even born. Give it another 20 years, BTI. Unless you just enjoy wallowing in mediocrity, you will get fed up as well. And Joker is a poster child for it.

21. Real Cats Fan
    11:12 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

People are getting fed up with event promoters taking every opportunity to gouge them on ticket prices. You are starting to see it not just at football games, but other events like NASCAR, baseball and basketball, even concerts. With the economy sucking like it has, regular folks who work for a living are having to make the hard choice between buying gas and groceries, or dropping a few hundred bucks on a football game that they can follow better at home on their own TV. Don’t get me wrong, I love to go to games, and the tailgating is part of the social experience, but it is insane to jack up ticket prices when many people are out of work and short on money, and then to expect that every seat will be filled.

22. Jaws2
    11:27 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

If we can’t run the ball, contain Stein in the pocket, or let them have the quick slant ALL day, we’re cooked. Believe it or not, they’ve got guys that can catch and run afterwards. No pressure on Stein and we’re beat. Let’s hope the D & OL show up for this one.

23. BFrey
    11:40 am September 16, 2011 Permalink

Top 25 in annual attendance despite not having a top 25 team in postseason rankings in 15-20+ years. That describes a big time fanbase to me.

24. Makers Man
    12:23 pm September 16, 2011 Permalink

As others have mentioned, UK-AA making tickets $75 / ea for nosebleed seats in the upper corner is why not
    selling out! Couple that with Permit Only parking that is sold out (parking passes going for $100 for one game)
    & you are easily out $200+ for two people before you even buy a soda to mix your bourbon with at the game.

25. NBA league pass
    12:57 pm September 16, 2011 Permalink

21/24) Agree 100%.

FWIW, when I was a student (97-2001) I think I paid 40 or 50 bucks total for SEASON tickets.

26. Jimmy Buffett
    1:01 pm September 16, 2011 Permalink

27. Jimmy Buffett
    1:03 pm September 16, 2011 Permalink

Well said #20!!

28. SweetTeaMob til I DIE
    1:22 pm September 16, 2011 Permalink

I don’t give a damn how much ticket prices are!! I’m going to be there because I BLEED BLUE!! Some of you people throw that phrase around without actually meaning it.. kind of like a 15 girl does with the phrase “I love you.”

29. Opti
    1:28 pm September 16, 2011 Permalink

First, I am completely supportive of the UK players. They are all doing the best they can given the circumstances. Some of the players play better than expected, some play as expected, some play worse than expected. Regardless, they all deserve our admiration and respect for representing the University and it’s fans. We need to fill the stands and support these players.

In spite of that, I think there are some real doubts amongst the fanbase about whether Joker can be a successful Head Coach in the SEC. The offensive play calling does not put the team in position to be successful. Joker, even more than Brooks, sticks with his original starters. If the receivers can’t catch…put someone in who can. If Newton can’t throw a catch-able ball…rotate in another QB for a few plays. Moss may have been the better QB but we will never find out. It certainly wouldn’t have hurt to play him some in the bowl game. It wasn’t like the bowl game was going well anyway. Having players sit a few plays can help them assess what is going on. Sitting a player helps them understand that they have to earn everything they get in life. If sitting a few plays has a negative impact on their confidence then maybe they shouldn’t have been playing in the first place.

The Head Coach needs to make sure the best players at any given moment are in the game. He must also make sure the assistant coaches are putting these players in a position to be successful. Joker seems like the most risk adverse coach we have had since Bradshaw. He seems afraid to make bold decisions.

Worse yet, he reminds me of Bill Curry who never seemed to know what was going on during or after the game.
    I remember an article by Cutler after Curry was released saying that he knew Curry was done when as Curry was addressing the team in practice, all the players were looking anywhere other than the coach. When players come off the field tomorrow, look at how many of them actually look at Joker as he speaks to them. Newton last week just walks on by. Does Phillips have the respect of the team?

To top it all off…Joker is at best, an uninspiring speaker. His body language comes across like this is very uncomfortable for him. Maybe some public speaking lessons would be a good off season use of time. He needs to fire up the fanbase and get them excited. He needs to get the team ready to play. The team shouldn’t need to look at the scoreboard and see how far UK is behind in the score in order to get motivated to play. The job of Head Coach is about everything else in the program in addition to a little coaching.

All this is exacerbated by the lack of dollars invested in football as compared to the rest of the SEC. If the SEC expansion says nothing else…it screams that SEC teams have to be competitive in football. If the SEC goes to a nine game schedule like rumored, winning seasons will be over for UK unless they can start winning SEC contests. Wait till we get a load of A&M as a visiting team at Kyle. It’s not going to get any easier folks.

If UK were not a part of any conference today, they would never get an invitation into the SEC. UK would be relegated to the same fate as Kansas will have when the Big12 disintegrates…hoping for a Big East invitation.

Joker has yet to show that he can elevate the program. To the average fan…the program seems to have taken a step back. Maybe more talent is the answer…but if the talent isn’t properly utilized, it is squandered.

I think fans would be willing to pay more for a competitive team. I think UK fans will pay for a better gameday experience.
    UK fans want to win and they want to be entertained.
    UK fans want their loyalty to be reflected in a commitment by the UKAA to become competitive in all sports…especially football.

The gameday experience leaves much to be desired. For example…
    It’s amazing to me that the repertoire of songs the band plays is almost identical to those played 35 years ago.
    It’s like being in a time warp. I keep waiting for Mike Myers to jump out and yell…Yea Baby!

For a long time UK fans had such bad teams that they merely hoped for an occasional winning season.
    Now they want a competitive team and a bowl bound team nearly every year.

These fan expectations need to drive AD Mitch Barnhart to take a log look at this UK football program.
    I’ll know they are serious when they attract a head coach that they pay as much as the basketball coach.
    Until then, we will be the team who looks back as the zenith of the program being in 1950-1951.

I’m sure Joker will get at least two more years…but I’m not confident he will be successful.
    As an alum…I wish him the best of success. As a lifelong UK fan I say…show me!

30. guest1
    2:10 pm September 16, 2011 Permalink

How can this website and some fans complain all week about people wanting to sit down during the games, telling them to just stay at home if they want to sit, and then complain the game isn’t sold out? Maybe people don’t want to have some disrespectful fan stand in their way the whole game so they don’t buy tickets, take your advice, and watch from home.

31. Holden McGroin
    2:35 pm September 16, 2011 Permalink

I’m all for making fun and ridiculing UL fans.
    No doubt, it’s getting easier to do by the day, but when you guys begin to include my Crown Royal in the mix, i take offense. If a UL fan is drinkin Crown, then they likely gave up a dinner for two at Porcini’s to afford it, or didn’t pay to have their line beard trimmed the last time they went to the barber, or maybe they just let the kids go hungry, or didn’t buy their school supplies.
    But to bring my Crown in on discussions about UL fans, that’s just wrong. It’s really beginning to piss me off, now stop it.
    (as i pour my Crown and sprite).

32. pooor kitties
    3:07 pm September 16, 2011 Permalink

So whats the excuse now that everyone has taken back the news they broke that UL sent back tickets and it was released that UL did in fact SELL OUT of the tickets they were allotted?

but cats fans sell out ALL the games?!?!?!?!!? awwwwwww

33. ReedyCreekBuc
    3:09 pm September 16, 2011 Permalink

I would be there if I could afford to pay the $81 for a ticket. Just not going to happen this year.