BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: 3 seed, What needs to happen

Cheer against this guy, at least this week

Most people in the know, which means not me or SexinNursingHomes, but actual experts like Joe Lunardi, have concluded that UK’s max seed they can earn is a three.  Currently, the Cats sit at a 4/5 seed, with the win over Tennessee likely pushing them closer to 4 than 5.  But, with seeds up for grabs all over the place coming into Championship Week, what needs to happen for UK to vault onto the 3-line, thus giving them an easier road.

Well, we know there are 4 teams that will get a 2-seed or better no matter what happens this week.  Ohio State, Kansas, Pittsburgh, and Notre Dame are the front-runners for 1-seeds, but even with a loss in their repsective opening games, they would drop no lower than 2-seeds.  Assuming Duke, BYU, and Purdue don’t flame out early, they also will likely get 2-seeds.  That is 7 of the 8 top seeds locked down.

Which brings us to Kentucky.  First things first, Kentucky MUST win the SEC Tournament to even get consideration for a 3-seed.  But even with an SEC Tournament title, certain things in other conferences must fall into place.  These things, in no particular order:

1) TEXAS needs to not win the Big 12 Tournament
2) WISCONSIN needs to not win the Big 10 Tournament
3) SAN DIEGO STATE needs to not win the Mountain West Tournament
4) NORTH CAROLINA needs to not win the ACC Tournament

If those any of those 4 teams win their conference tournament, they will be seeded above Kentucky no matter what.  So, at least for 1 week, we should cheer for Kansas, Ohio State, BYU, and (gulp) Duke.  And if you can’t bring yourself to do that, cheer for Wake Forest or any other ACC school.  But Duke is most likely to beat UNC.

Let’s assume those 4 teams above all win their conference tournament.  That would take up 11 of the top 12 seeds, no matter what Kentucky does.  Now, who are the other teams who could also bump Kentucky, thus we should cheer against them:

1) LOUISVILLE (Hate to say it, but their body of work with a Big East title trumps UK)
2) FLORIDA (But under this scenario, they obviously won’t win)
3) SYRACUSE (Despite late struggles, a Big East title could push them to 3)
4) ARIZONA (Much like UK, they need some things to fall into place, but still possible)

So, all this wrapped up means this- For Kentucky to get a 3-seed, you need to cheer for this:

BIG EAST TOURNAMENT: Anybody but Louisville and Syracuse need to win
BIG 12 TOURNAMENT: Anybody but Texas need to win
PAC 10 TOURNAMENT: Anybody but Arizona need to win
ACC TOURNAMENT: Anybody but North Carolina need to win
BIG 10 TOURNAMENT: Anybody but Wisconsin need to win
MOUNTAIN WEST TOURNAMENT: Anybody but San Diego State need to win

See, easy.  Sypher easy.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

55 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: 3 seed, What needs to happen

1. jimmy dykes
    9:04 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

3 seed…how about three nails.

2. ukjonny8
    9:05 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

agree. Good post BTI. (but dont you dare tell anyone i said that)

3. ukjonny8
    9:06 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

1- I like how you brought a jimmy dykes reference that matches the Karen Sypher reference.

4. deer boss
    9:08 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

BTI working effeciently today. 9 oclock and already done.

5. knightynight
    9:09 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

Solid work actually. A lot of info and i actually understood it.

6. Dale Gribble
    9:09 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

I’d rather have my eye-balls poked out as cheer for Duke. Shame on you BTI.

7. TSlone08
    9:11 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

I’d say at this point UK controls their own destiny. If we win the SEC tourney, we should easily get the 3 seed. Let the real season begin!!

8. Wall2Cousins
    9:13 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

you could of just said Kentucky needs to win the SEC tourney and have a couple teams in front of them stumble for us to get a 3 seed.

9. I can hardly contain myself. I leave Wednesday for Atlanta and I can’t wait. This is like a spring break for everyone over the age of 25. I’m gonna be sooooooooo hammered the whole time. Go Cats and let’s hope no one goes to jail!!

10. Scared to be a fan
    9:18 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

Win out and we get a 3 seed. Easy as that. Championship game 4 seed, lose any other time and 5 seed.

11. knightynight
    9:19 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

9) I believe I’m as jealous right now as I was when my best friend told me he got some for the first time and I was gf-less and going through a terrible acne stage.

12. SexnNursinHomes
    9:20 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

hahaha, BTI you got that right.

13. Emerson Biggins
    9:24 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

So your saying I get to cheer against the Tards? Done

14. Coyote
    9:27 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

Leonard Hamilton’s bunch can take out Duke and NC if they play up to their potential

15. scott
    9:27 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

Ideally wouldn’t we want to see Washington and Notre Dame win their tournaments to give our resume a little boost since we own neutral victories over both.

16. The Real Pioneer
    9:28 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

WITH TROY MCKINLEY ROOTING ON THE CATS, ANY SEED IS POSSIBLE!

17. kentucky
    9:28 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

Haven’t been to the SEC tournament in several years. Actually not since Tubby started coaching at UK. Now, I would really like to go back. Maybe next year. I can always dream.

18. Coyote Hunter
    9:30 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

Wisconsin will falter in the B-10 tourney after getting their badger butts whooped yesterday by Ohio State

19. whatever
    9:31 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

The entire scenerio depends on UK winning the SEC tourney, so other than that who cares

20. willdcat1
    9:40 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

can’t predict how the committee will seed teams, usually. Seems most years, unless UK is just an obvious #1 seed (like, last yr, & 96), they will not give the Cats much of a break. A #3 seed would be great, but we will need many things to fall into place. Some teams losing early in conf tourneys, others winning.

Was that the NC fans storming the court after beating duke y’day?

21. BlueCat_75
    9:42 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

#14, that’s what I was thinking. I’d rather cheer for Florida State than those little b!tch Blue Devils.

22. mr monkeybottoms
    9:42 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

Good info. Good post.

23. I can't see the comments
    9:42 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

RPI is 12 (3-seed), SOS is 13 (4-seed). Polls don’t matter at all.

UK just needs to win the SEC tournament imo. Wisconsin, Texas and Louisville are real threats. Especially Louisville, because winning the Big East would raise their RPI big time. Arizona’s SOS is way too low.

24. 5 seed boys. Mark it down. They will put us against a veteran mid major. Mark it down.

25. bluesince66
    9:47 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

I might be alone here, but I think if we win the tournament we’ll be a 3 regardless, unless something totally unforeseen happens. We have only one loss by double digits to one of the almighty big east teams. Everything else is 7 points or less all on away courts. Two bad losses at Ole Miss and Arkansas hurt us, but make up for one of those in the tourney. I like our chances. Just glad I’m not one of those that got on here after a tough loss and said we’re just not very good, we’re just young.

26. Like I said @24. Butler would be close, cause it gives a story line with Mack.

27. bung
    9:48 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

speaking of ncaa….when is todd board meeting where he asks all those tough questions to ncaa…. ditto for barnhead?

28. UK_Football_Fan
    9:51 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

Not gonna hate. Great post.

29. Go Deep
    9:51 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

I think it would be better to be a 4 than a 3 this year. Reasoning? With our 6 man rotation, I would rather play the 1 seed on Thur or Friday instead of Saturday or Sunday. Our guys would be more rested and fresh against the tougher 1 seed in this scenario. Especially if the 2 seeds are BYU or Syracuse.

30. Boogiewoogie
    9:55 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

Good post BTI. I love having even more reason to HATE on those Dirty Birds!

These Cats can go as far as they desire. If they keep playing with the same fire as they have for the past 2 and a hlf games (first half of the Tennessee game was el stinko) then they can go to a Final Four. That’s a BIG “if”.

31. Assistant Coach
    9:59 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

Cats took care of business at Tennessee and earned an SEC bye. That worked out well. Now let`s take care of business and win the SEC tourney. However, I question if we can win three games in three days with the short bench. I`ll gladly be wrong.

32. Al's IndiCats
    10:05 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

Where’s the thread to the Radio show?

33. ihatetenn
    10:06 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

Cats got a good bracket for the SEC tourny they got to take advantage
    of this and win this thing. I dont want to see Tenn in the finals
    its hard to beat a team 3 times in one season, plus the puts the vols
    in the NCAA tourny for sure, so i’m pulling hardcore for Arkansas.

34. BlooBloodCat
    10:06 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

Great work BTI. You should add Georgetown into this mix though. They would have to beat Pitt, but if they do, their resume is better than UK’s. Just a thought. Nice post.

35. Ben
    10:07 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

We deserve a 3 seed! If we get a 4 or 5 seed, we have no one to blame but ourselves. The losses to weak teams on the road, may cost us! I look forward to the NCAA Tourney with no road games and no SEC teams. This team has the potential to do damage if the match-ups are right.

36. Runnin'Ramel
    10:09 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

Georgetown without Wright won’t be making any noise in the Big East tourney.

37. Da Cayts
    10:13 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

So let me get this straight, as a UK fan you expect me to cheer against UofL and UNC? OK, yea I can do that.

38. BlooBloodCat
    10:14 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

#36…I think you are correct and that is why I said IF they beat Pitt. However, this is a scenario’s post and I do not count on ANYTHING from the BE. There are a handful of teams in that league that have enough good wins to justify as a 3 seed if they make the finals. I think GTown is one of them. Let’s hope you are right and they cannot get over the Pitt hurdle.

39. bluesince66
    10:21 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

It comes down to UK and UL for the last 3 seed and the committee has all its’ numbers. Well UL beat this and this and this big east team. UK beat UF, Vandy, and UT. Man this is close, oh what about head to head, OH! UK beat them by 15 on their home court.

40. winout
    10:25 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

Thanks for the update…sure makes the SEC tourney meaningful…a 3 seed is far better than a 4 or 5…not worried about the depth factor…these guys are in shape and can run all day…in fact think we benefit from playing 6 people, these stars hate sitting out, give em a quick minute break and their fine…with tv time outs and quick subs we should be good to go

41. Viren
    10:29 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

BYU, Duke, Purdue, Wisconsin, St. John’s, Connecticut, Georgetown, Texas, and Villanova have in common they have all this past week so I hope to see some movement in the new rankings. It would be nice if Cats can sneak into top 12 in the AP polls and SEC Tournament Championship we get no worse than a 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

42. Stack30
    10:38 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

Very nice BTI!

43. wildcat101
    10:41 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

will take a 4 seed no possible way I can Cheer for Duke sorry we will just have to get it the hard way!!

44. MNCAT
    10:55 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

29–very interesting take. I think you’re right that we have a better chance of beating the 1-seed on a Thursday or Friday than on a quick turn around.

45. Lloyd Christmas
    10:57 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

So You’re telling me there is a chance!

46. Captain Obvious
    11:02 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

All UL has to do is win one game in the Big East tourney and they will stay above us in the seeding for the NCAA even if we win the SEC, mark it down!

47. WhiskerBiscuit
    11:07 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

I just wanted to comment for the heck of it. I don’t actually read BTI’s posts.

48. Ric Flair
    11:08 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

People are forgetting that the SEC plays their tourney a day later than the selection committe likes. Unless we are playing a bubble team on Sunday, the seeding will be finished before the SEC championship is played. Seeding is all but done late Saturday & the announcements come Sundy evening.

49. The Real Hambone
    11:20 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

mmmmm 48…. you may have a point there sir.

50. _Blackhawk_
    11:22 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

#48 very true. I remember the year the Cats beat Ark when Rod Rhodes cried his way off the team…we got the win in OT and Ark was still a #1 seed. We make it to the title game and the first 4 teams listed are still in it we probably won’t move up or down if we win or lose.

51. Tom Blevins
    11:54 am March 7, 2011 Permalink

For Kentucky to have any chance to win the SEC tournament, we have to be in better shape than we were for the tournament in Maui. In that 3rd game, we were up against a very good team in Connecticut. They might have beaten us anyway, but let’s face it. We were gassed and we just didn’t play very well. Personally, I think our Cats have a better chance of winning the NCAA this year than the SEC tournament.

52. Unboltedharp
    12:06 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Nothing loserville has done or will ever do will trump Kentucky.

53. UK1990
    1:02 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

We can’t pass UNC or San Diego State. They are both no worse than a 3 seed no matter what happens.

54. kyleb740
    2:24 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Syracuse hasn’t struggled of late. They have won 5 in a row with victories over WVU, @ Villanova, @ Georgetown. In the end I think the Cuse has wrapped up at least a 3 seed along with UNC, SDSU, and Texas. That means UK, UL, Wisconsin, Arizona, and Florida are playing for the last 3 seed. Those are the teams we need to root against. Cheer for UK, anyone but Arizona in the Pac 10, Pitt, ND, Syracuse in the BE, Duke and UNC in ACC, Ohio St and Purdue in the Big 10, and Texas and Kansas in the Big 12.

55. BigBlue1976
    3:30 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

48 – Ric Flair) You are right, MOSTLY. The committee does reserve some seeding decisions for Sunday. Especially when big schools and conferences are involved. The SEC isn’t the only major conference playing on Sunday either. Committee members say every year on TV that most of the seeding was set on Saturday but a handful are always moved around on Sunday. My point is…don’t worry, if the Cats earn it on Sunday they will get it.