BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: 20 Years of Revenge Coming

Yes, it is true that Kentucky has lost 26 straight games to Florida, the 2nd longest losing streak in the country.  But for me, and I think many others, Florida has had revenge coming for 20 years now.  Flashback to 1993 when the 7th ranked Gators came into Lexington with a future Heisman Trophy winning QB and a slew of wide receivers.  This was Steve Spurrier at his best.  But Kentucky was also coming into a season where they would eventually make the Peach Bowl, the only bowl appearance under Bill Curry.  And then this happened:

Has to be the most painful loss of the 26, right?  Some might argue UK blowing a 21-3 second half lead in 2003 would be in the argument, but that Florida team was not very good.  This was a Steve Spurrier Florida team and Danny Weurfel at QB.  But what say you?  Was the 1993 game the most painful loss in the streak or is there another year that bugs you worse?

Article written by Bryan the Intern

17 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: 20 Years of Revenge Coming

1. Bradleycorn
    9:05 am September 23, 2013 Permalink

I believe the Florida streak is the longest losing streak, not 2nd longest.

2. Nutwrap
    9:13 am September 23, 2013 Permalink

It certainly is the longest for consecutive games played each year.

3. Navin
    9:14 am September 23, 2013 Permalink

Soon to be 27 straight.

4. Douggercats
    9:20 am September 23, 2013 Permalink

I was there and had low expectations. As the game went on, an upset looked more and more plausible, only to have Lucy pull the football away again. AAAAUGHH!

5. Kaboom
    9:21 am September 23, 2013 Permalink

Like how after the play the homer announcer says weurfel had such character, and the camera pans to him jawing it to some section of the crowd but in our stadium. Character is won on and off the field.

6. UK Terry
    9:22 am September 23, 2013 Permalink

Watching that ’93 game at CWS, in which UK picked off seven (7!!!) Florida passes, I could NOT believe the UK defender did not clobber Doering before he caught that pass. That would have drawn a 15 yard pass interference penalty, but would have kept hope alive.

7. Cincy Cayt
    9:22 am September 23, 2013 Permalink

Gotta be the 2003 game. I was in high school visiting a sibling at UK and we were sitting in the nosebleeds. I can close my eyes and remember exactly how it looked. That was our day. It just…didn’t…happen.

8. BluKudzu
    9:46 am September 23, 2013 Permalink

I hate that effen gator chomp on our home field. I hate everyone of those losses in this streak. I hate being anybody’s dog.

9. Boogie Fan
    9:49 am September 23, 2013 Permalink

I remember being at this game, and I’ve had plenty of disappointment leaving CWS. That may have been the toughest loss ever, but I wasn’t at the LSU game.

10. GOOSE
    10:39 am September 23, 2013 Permalink

I was there… CWS was electrified that day! When Doering scored it was like sticking a knife in a overinflated truck tube.. the place collapsed in total disgust.

11. kes
    10:42 am September 23, 2013 Permalink

10. i was there as well. made me sick to my stomach

12. ribin
    11:01 am September 23, 2013 Permalink

Remember it like it was yesterday — sat in the end zone at that time – watched it unfold — CATS had played so well to let it get away at the end.

13. Kyle Kasey (not Macy)
    11:39 am September 23, 2013 Permalink

I thinks its the 2007 game with Woodson at QB, 5 overtimes to lose it by a field goal.. heartbreaking!!!

14. ukfanphil
    12:22 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

2007 coming off that LSU win a having ESPN gameday there that really suck. What f;cking 5 ot game
    kyle taking about I must have been really drunk l

15. drewsster02
    12:40 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

I wasn’t at the 93 game. I was in 8th grade and visiting my grandmother’s house. I remember listening on the radio to the whole game that night. I was also thinking, though the video didn’t show it, that one of their players likely faked an injury on that last drive after they had used their timeouts. To me, this one hurts the most because we had 7 interceptions, but couldn’t make the plays in the end.

I remember watching the 2003 game too. We were up 21-3 about to get the ball back when we had a roughing the kicker penalty on a punt. It went downhill from there. I also remember Lorenzen throwing that terrible looking interception that was returned for 6 in that one. The way UK played in the 4th quarter, we deserved to lose that one. In 1993, they played well enough to win but just didn’t get it done.

16. Will
    1:52 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

We lost the game because we didn’t score a touchdown on the last drive. Second and goal at the two, got a delay of game penalty and settled for a field goal.

17. cornbreadmafiacook
    4:11 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

was in the endzone they scored in….doering was running straight at me

that one hurts my feelings almost as much as the peach bowl loss where our linebacker (what was his name?) who was the heart/soul of the team fumbled on the interception return and let the senior-season bowl win slip through his fingers