BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: 2 Interesting Scenarios for a Boring Week

It is going to be a really boring week, with no UK games and the slow lead up to football signing day.  There are so many ways to break down Lamar Dawson’s decision or how important Brandon Knight is.  So, I thought I would write a lighter, care free post today about two scenarios that I heard about this weekend and was very interested in what the Big Blue Nation thinks.

SCENARIO #1
-Kentucky makes the Final Four and you are lucky enough to have purchased a ticket, for 1,000 dollars.  You are decked in blue and headed to the arena when a fan from another team comes up to you and offers you 10,000 dollars for your one ticket.  You will take a 9,000 profit for that one ticket.  Do you take the deal?  If the answer is no, what is the price that would make you give up the ticket?

I am afraid I would have to sell my ticket if I am getting 10 times what I paid for it.  For 9,000 dollars, I can buy the best HD TV ever created and watch the game as if I was there.

SCENARIO #2
I got this scenario from a real-life situation that occurred at a Virginia game.  The Cavs were playing UNC, and a Tar Heels fan bought a ticket outside the arena.  When he gets inside and to his seat, he realizes he is in the 2nd row.  Just after sitting down, a UVA administrator approaches the man, says that his seat is reserved for UVA fans only, and then finds him another seat, almost 20 rows up from his original seat.  Should a school be allowed to regulate the clothes of fans in the lower rows of seats?

Personally, I find this very petty on the part of UVA.  Instead of blaming the man, why not blame the UVA fan who sold him the ticket?  In much of the same way that UK fans bought UK-UL tickets, if a fan chooses to spend money legally on a ticket, a school should not have the right to punish that fan for wearing the wrong colors.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

37 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: 2 Interesting Scenarios for a Boring Week

1. The Fake Fake Gimel Martinez
    10:04 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

How early were you planning on getting to the arena to where you’d still have time to take that money and go out to buy a new TV, then make it back to your house in Louisville by tipoff?

2. Jman
    10:05 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Absolutely not should a school regulate this stuff. I mean he paid for a ticket in the second row. But, being the sheeple that he is, he probably just went along with it. Too many sheeple in the world.

3. Bourbonbelly
    10:07 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

I would take the 10k any day. I get to games early enough to leave and get a TV.

Secondly, there is no way in [email protected] I would move if I had bought it fair and square!

-bb

4. Big Pimpin
    10:08 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

So THATS what Mark McGwire looks like without the steroids.

5. take the money and run
    10:08 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Take the money and the 9k profit – then find somebody else selling a ticket for 1000 bucks.

6. rickpitinoshairplug
    10:11 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Well Duh BTI (oh wait, you can’t think creatively) I would sell it for 10,000 and then turn around and buy another one for 1,000…. 8,000 profit and I get to see the game in person..

7. BillDozer
    10:12 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

1. I’d take the $10k..no question, and try and find a much cheaper ticket.

2. That’s crap..that guy should have stood his ground. I actually keep a copy of Commonwealth Stadium’s rules and regulations for situations like this. If its not in the manual, then you cannot make a ridiculous request.

8. I'm watchin live!
    10:12 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

#6 – Agree

I’m going to the game.

9. Nassau65
    10:13 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

scenario 1. Aint no ball game worth 9 grand to me. take the money and head to the sports bar nearby. drinks for all.

scenario 2. they’d play hell getting me to move. I’d just tell them i wore my UVA shirt yesterday and it was in the laundry.

10. VII
    10:14 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Take the profit.

I’d tell the dude who was sending me up to the cheap seats to go eff himself. I’d get arrested over it and become famous as I did interviews for everyone from Oprah to Matt Jones. Then I’d sue the school. With the proceeds, I’d buy season tix and then pay other fans to use the seats at every game !!!

11. NBA league pass
    10:25 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

1. Take the money
    2. I would not move. They would need to literally drag me out of that seat if I had a ticket to sit there.

12. drewster
    10:28 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

If you can afford $1000 for a single ticket, I doubt you would be willing to give it up for $10,000 and a chance to see UK in a Final Four. It would have to be significantly more than that — maybe 25K.

13. Dubs
    10:28 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

6. im pretty sure you have to buy the final four ticket well in advance. I mean thats pretty much the basis of BTI’s reasoning. You wont be able to get another. I thought that was implied.

14. BlueMike
    10:29 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

10) Vindictive much? I agree with everyone so far, 10k and the ticket is yours. I’ll buy another or just watch it at home or at a sports bar. If you had said 2 or 3 grand for it, then I might have to think about it, but 10k is easy. And you’d have to pry my cold dead fingers from my seat if I legally bought the ticket and they “requested” I move.

15. Justme
    10:31 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

1. No brainer. Sell the ticket. I always like to reverse the situation and see how it looks. Would I pay 10K for a ticket — to anything? No. Same thing.

2. I’m not Matt Jones but I don’t think they legally can make you move if you have a legally obtained ticket with a seat number on it. I would not budge.

16. mudcat
    10:36 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

I would take the cash and like many others buy another ticket.
    In the second scenario I would love for someone to try to move me from my seat. They have no right to make him leave. Maybe ask him politely to wear a different shirt, that they bring him…and that is a BIG maybe.

17. Kidnut
    10:37 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Didn’t Roy Williams throw out an opposing fan from the game a few years ago because he heckled a UNC free throw shooter? It is a shame that UVA asked the guy to move. As long as he respectfully cheered on the Tar Heels he should have been allowed to stay in his seat.

18. Tobias Fuunke
    10:41 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

All Universities have a hold on to a certain allotment of tickets and they are required to be used by fans of said University, in fact the tickets typically have no printed value on them. I’ve received tickets from friends within in the Athletic Department and they always ask me 2-3 times, “Will anybody be wearing anything other than UK gear.” The person who sold the ticket is in deep trouble because it means an administrator within the University was directly or indirectly involved in scalping of University property.

19. JI
    10:47 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

1. I’d sell any ticket if I made 300 bucks or more except super bowl
    2. vuck firginia

20. awesometron
    10:51 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

(1) Take the $10,000 and invest it in an up and coming time-traveling company. That company will become super successful and make billions in profits, in turn making me a very rich man. Because I will be rich and was an initial investor, I will be able to time-travel whenever I like. Therefore, I would time travel back to the game and because I was rich, I would buy a ticket on the front row. I win twice.

(2) I wouldn’t move. If they made me switch seats, I would start a fire (a small, contained fire…similar to a controlled burn during fire season). The fire would cause the building to be evacuated and the game would be postponed. This would give me enough time to retrieve a shirt that was neutral in color, making it impossible for anyone to determine which team I was supporting. I would return to the game and sit in the second row and cheer for the team I was supporting. If security gave me problems with this, I would pretend I was blind and just cheering randomly.

21. bluesince66
    11:01 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Take the money. I was at the UK Tennessee football game two years ago, and had bought one of the tickets normally reserved for high school coaches. This girl behind me had UT orange on and UK athletics came down twice and asked her and her father who they got their tickets from. Didn’t make them move, but sure wanted to know where they got the tickets.

22. Al's IndiCats
    11:04 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Back in August of 84 when President Carter would not let our athletes go to the Olympics, Bobby Knight coached the American team and they were barnstorming around the U.S. playing a get together of NBA players at the Hoosier Dome. Our seats were several rows behind the pros and when they started to introduce our U.S. squad, I sat down because they were introduced Steve Alford. Now we all know why Knight had Stevie on the team and I was no fan of his at all, because of the things (rumored) he had done off season, which had it been made public he wouldn’t been the darling of all Hoosier fans. This lady in front berated me for quite a long time, telling me that I was not a patriot, I yelled back I was in Vietnam and I served my country well for 4 years. I stand when the National Anthem played with hand over heart…..ALWAYS!!!! And as always I wear my UK hat EVERYWHERE!!!! When an usher came down and told me I had to leave because I was a disturbance to those who surrounded me. The guys I went with told him that wasn’t me causing a disturbance, that it was this lady in front. I left, but my beer was on the floor in front of me,and as I left I kicked it hard enough that her seat was well soaked when she sat down, as was her jacket that was in the seat. I hated Stevie then as I dispise him now.

23. Irwin R. Fletcher
    11:07 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Wonder if this is UVA policy, or if they were just trying to stick it to Roy? (considering his tolerance of visiting fans)

24. Scott Baio
    11:12 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

I’m taking the money! Honestly if its at the final four the arena gonna be so big, that you would have a much better view of the game on a tv.

I would’ve probably been asked to leave the arena if I was the carolina fan, and still may be in jail. I’m sure the KLAW would represent me though.

25. shadowboxer
    11:52 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Anyone willing to pay $10K for a ticket will surely pay $15K. I take it and find a good sports bar.
    It is fair what happened at Virginia. Hell, a fan of an opposing team is not even permitted to cheer at Chapel Hill. Remember The guy Roy had thrown out last year? So yes, the UNC deserved it.

26. correction
    12:21 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

22. Carter wasn’t president in 84

27. atlantacat
    12:23 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

“For 9,000 dollars, I can buy the best HD TV ever created and watch the game as if I was there.”

Doesn’t anyone teach proper English any more? It’s “as if I were there,” not was. It’s called a supposition, BTI.

28. BlueFins
    12:25 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

1. I guess this is a hypothetical, since it ain’t happening this year. Just ilke the rest, I say take the money and buy another one and pocket the profit. You still could buy you a helluva TV for later with money to spare. Makes good business sense.

2. Don’t give Jurich any ideas. Surprised he doesn’t have the Heavy Hitter and TJ working on this now.

29. Coach Durbin
    1:15 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

22 and the ’84 Olympics were in LA. I hope we participated. I think you meant Moscow in ’80, which caused the USSR not to compete in ’84 when it was in LA

30. Rambler
    1:58 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

10) Right on!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. Joe
    1:59 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

22, I do have to hope that your recall of the story was better than the surrounding events. Reagan was president in ’84, and the US boycotted the 1980 Olympics in Moscow. But Alford was probably in middle school in 1980…

32. kywildcat_96
    4:20 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

1. Take the money, watch at bar, eat and drink like a king.
    2. I’d like to think I’d still be sitting in that seat even if they had to take the seat out of the arena with me.

33. What?
    5:06 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

I’d take the money and I’d keep my seat!

34. MtnCat
    6:38 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

10,000 cash would make me do a lot of things, the least of which is part with a ticket. Who would want to see Virginia and Carolina play anyway, they can have the seat, for 10 grand.

35. dcsports22
    7:14 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

hell yes and fuk no

36. 502 Cat Fan
    11:03 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

Wow, I had not heard that Tom Jurich was let go from UL.

37. UK7xCHAMPS
    1:48 am January 25, 2011 Permalink

I had a friend who was a manager for UGA’s men’s team Felton’s last 2 years. He got us tickets in the player’s family section behind the bench. Year 1, no problem with us wearing Blue for the Kentucky game. Year 2, and Felton’s final year, Mrs. Felton informed us before the game we must remove the Blue clothing..if we couldn’t, they had UGA shirts for us to wear. I liked Felton until then. I’m sure it happens everywhere, and not just UVA.