For those of you who are listeners to 1570thezone, you may have heard Matt mention me, usually for screwing up the phone or not getting the guest he wanted. To this day, I am not sure Matt even knows my last name (its Hash by the way, and yes I have heard EVERY joke dealing with that) or how to spell my first name(which he proved in his last post). But, he has been nice enough to let me contribute to the blog and everyday I will give you a wide variety of internet links dealing with some sort of Kentucky athletics, and sometimes I will throw in some random things too. Hopefully, these posts can keep you up to date daily on the goings on in UK sports. Now, on to todays links:
1. For those of us who didn’t block out the last couple years of Kentucky basketball, you may remember the hideous jumpshot and sometimes wasted potential of Rajon Rondo. I remember thinking Wayne Turner had a good looking jumper compared to Rajon. But last night Rondo played one of his best games on the star-studded Boston Celtics, not to mention against the defending conference champs the Cavs. As an added note, Rondo is shooting nearly 53 percent this season without taking a single 3-point shot, something Cats fans wished for 2 seasons.
2. Two good articles from Larry Vaught dealing with the UNC game Saturday. The first shows that Patrick Patterson is getting some well-deserved praise from both from his teammates and opponents. The other touches on several topics, in particular the Cats problems with turnovers. (we’re looking at you Michael Porter).
3. Just a quick update on both of UK’s Class of 2008 recruits: Mason County’s Darius Miller lit up Lexington Tates Creek on Saturday. Findlay Prep’s Deandre Liggins stats are pretty good too and his team is undefeated to boot.
4. A wonderful article by William Reed of Sports Illustrated on the life of Ralph Beard. The more you hear about Beard, the more you realize not only his impact on Kentucky basketball but sports in general in the state. Reed has some great stories and insights on Beard, most notably that Beard admitted considering suicide after his banishment from basketball. An absolute must read for history buffs of UK sports.
5. This was posted on CNNSI.com about a month ago, but it becomes especially relevant now, considering the BCS mess this college football season has been. It’s list of the 5 most overhyped sporting events in history and I am warning you now, when you get to number 3, LOOK AWAY!! Does anyone else get the feeling LSU-Ohio St. might replace Florida-Ohio St. on that list? And to further stick it to SEC-haters, where are the Pac-10’s nine bowl teams again? Oh yeah, they don’t exist. LSU makes it 4 straight major NCAA titles for the SEC January 7th.
6. You might want to get up to Louisville on Saturday because two of UK’s top football recruits will be playing in state final games. Lexington Catholic’s Winston Guy blocked a kick and ran for a score at the QB spot Lex Cath’s semifinal win. They will play Lone Oak at 3:30ET in the 5A final. Then at 7:30ET you can see DT Matthew Smith and his St. Xavier Tigers play Louisville Trinity for the 72nd staright year in the 6A final.
7. As expected, the Univeristy of Louisville will have new coordinators on both sides of the ball next season. And the Courier-Journal’s Eric Crawford pointed out in today’s column that the changes may have started sooner than yesterday.
8. Kentucky is headed back to Nashville for the Music City Bowl, but most would agree Florida State is a pretty good draw. They are one of the few teams in the country where the midfield coaches handshake makes Rich Brooks feel youthful. And if you haven’t heard, Bobby Bowden just signed an extension with FSU for an additional year and 2.5 million dollars. Thats 357,000 dollars per win this season, and all the man does is drool on the sidelines. Thats even makes A-Rod blush.
9. Also, congrats to Indiana University, who was selected to go to the Insight Bowl on New Years’s Eve. Not only do the Hoosiers get to go to balmy Tempe for their bowl, they get a mediocre Oklahoma State team. No team had to deal with more hardships this year with the death of their coach Terry Hoeppner. But IU fought through it and are headed to a bowl for the first time since 1993.
10. Finally today, I am a huge fan of the Sportscenter commericals that make athletes act stupid (i.e. Drew Brees driving a Madri Gras van and getting it stuck in the ESPN entrance). But, I had forgotten how far back these commercials went and just how funny they have always been. Here is a list of the To 10 Sportscenter Commercials, and I am guessing these are pre-2001, which is why Gheorghe Muresean is in one of them.