Ranking the Sweet 16 games
(1) North Carolina-Washignton St. (2 clashing styles, watch out for an upset here)
(2) Louisville-Tennessee (UL coming into game WAY too overconfident, who do you cheer for?)
(3) Stanford-Texas (I like Stanford, Brook Lopez is unstoppable)
(4) Memphis-Michigan St. (Memphis is more athletic, win by 10)
(5) Davidson-Wisconsin (Only interesting because of Stephon Curry)
(6) UCLA-Western Kentucky (whichever point guard plays better, wins)
(7) Kansas-Villanova (BORING!!!! Kansas by 15-20)
(8) Xavier-West Virginia (May actually be good game, but who really cares?)
1. The “cool” stat that I have heard about 47 times this week: The Southern Conference and Sun Belt have as many teams in the Sweet 16 than the SEC and ACC. Rick Bozich uses this point in his column today about the decline of some power teams in the NCAA Tournament. I say “cool” sarcastically because it makes me want to barf evertime I hear it. What does that stat prove? The Southern and Sun Belt are at the same level as the ACC and SEC? Give any SEC or ACC team the Drake-San Diego route and I bet nearly all of them make it to the Sweet 16. Were the SEC and ACC down this year? Of course. Are they still the 5th and 6th best conferences in America? Yup.
2. Billy Gillispie says the Cats need an impact scorer for next season. Thats what I think too. I could be the coach at UK.
3. As we head into the spring and summer, two questions come to mind when I think UK Basketball. First, who are the Cats going to get on the recruiting trail. Second, can Joe Crawford somehow make his way into the NBA. I have always thought Joe was cetainly athletics enough to be in the NBA, but at 6’4” his is a little small to play shooting guard. Well, after his great performance against Marquette, some websites think Joe may have played his way into the second round of the June draft.
4. Awful Announcing has released their announcer grades for the first weekend of the Tournament, and to them, UK got the best broadcast team of the tournament, Jay Bilas-Carter Blackburn. Do I really even need to make a joke here?