Note: With the end of basketball season, the stories about UK athletics, especially basketball will dry up some. The Clicks will still be daily but now may have more stories from around the sports world. As always, if you find something funny or UK related, put the link in the comments section and I will put it up in the next day’s links. Just wanted to give the heads up. Now, on to todays links:
1. The picture above is of the defending champion Miami Heat cheerleaders. Defending champion of what you might ask? Well, they were the 2007 “Favorite Cheerleading Squad”, as voted on by the fans. Favorite of course means hottest. Now, you have more chances to see good looking ladies like the one above in the 2008 election. Here is the link to the bracket, just click on the team logo to see each squad.
There are alot of other UK sports who currently rank high nationally and should be watched a little closer:
Baseball: #2 (Collegiate Baseball Newspaper)
Women’s Tennis: #23
Men’s Golf: #51 (Golf Week)
Men’s Tennis: #63
Make sure to continue to support ALL UK teams in between basketball and football season.
2.The Baseball Cats came back to Earth a little over the weekend, dropping their first two games of the season before taking the final game of a road series against Auburn. UK nows sits at 20-2, 4-2 in the SEC, which is still good for a tie for 2nd in the SEC standings. Interesting note about the standings so far, ALL SIX teams in the Eastern Division have better conference records that ALL SIX TEAMS from the Western Division.
3. A name that many UK basketball fans had specualted may consider transfering was Jodie Meeks, but Jerry Tipton is reporting that Meeks will not be going anywhere, according to his father. Good news because, in my opinion, Meeks is the key to next season’s success because he is the only guy who can fill in for Crawford/Bradley on the offensive end of the floor.
4. Larry Vaught’s article in yesterday’s Danville Advocate discusses Mitch Barnhart’s opinion of the first season of the Billy Gillispie era.
5. A few notes and quotes in the Courier-Journal from the aftermath of the Marquette loss, including Billy Gillispie’s outlook for next season (no recruiting though) and Derrick Jasper’s opinion of his physical condition throughout the season.
6. Update from the NBA of some of Kentucky’s top alumni:
Tayshaun Prince: 13.8 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 3.4 APG
Keith Bogans: 9.2 PPG, 3.2 RPG, 1.2 APG
Rajon Rondo: 10.7 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 5.0 APG
Chuck Hayes: 2.9 PPG, 5.6 RPG, 1.1 APG
Kelenna Azubuike: 8.3 PPG, 3.8 RPG, 1.0 APG
Nazr Mohammed: 7.6 PPG, 6.0 RPG, 0.8 APG
Derek Anderson, Jamal Magloire, Antoine Walker, and Randolph Morris are all playing sparingly for different NBA teams.
7. List of the 23 Best Sports Underdog Movies. My pick: Mighty Ducks 2. Did you see the size of the Iceland players?