Could there have been a worse 1st day of the NCAA Tournament than that yesterday. A couple stats from truly the worst set of 1st round games I have ever seen:
– Only 3 out of 16 games finished with margins under 10 points
-Only 5 games had margins of 8 or less AT HALFTIME!!!
-Only 2 out of 16 lower seeded teams won (#11 Kansas St. and #9 Texas A&M)
-The only game truly decided in the last minute (not Georgia-Xavier) was Duke-Belmont. And that game went Duke’s way, making it that much worse.
-Only 5 guys scored more than 25 points in a game, and 4 of them lost, in semi-blowouts.
-We saw Kent St. score 10 in a half, Winthrop score 11 in a half, and Mississippi Valley St. score 29 IN A GAME.
-Only 2 of the 16 winners yesterday come from non-major conferences, Xavier and UNLV and they both are in nearly major conferences.
If we get another day of this today, my entire sports year will go down as a disapointment. Please God, give me ONE 12 seed or higher win a game. GO WKU!!! ON to the links:
1. On the positive side of UK Athletics, the Baseball Cats were finally able to tie the school record for best start at 19-0, punishing Xavier yesterday 12-1. With a win at Auburn today (7PM), the mark will belong to this teams. By the way, 5 HR’s in yesterday’s win. 10 of their 19 wins have come by at least 10 runs. Simply amazing. Fans need to move on from basketball and get behind this team.
2. Great article by Eric Crawford of the Courier-Journal about Joe Crawford’s of the University of Kentucky. John Clay writes about the same topic in the Herald-Leader. Only Issel (3 times), Givens, and Prince have scored more in a NCAA Tournament game. A Top 20 scorer. Add Joe to the list of future professionals from UK as well. NBA? I don’t know. But he is certainly good enough to play in Europe.
3. Alot of Kentucky articles out there today, and besides the chump in the link under this one, all of them recap UK’s season as weird and difficult for Billy Gillispie and the players. One that was full of injuries and unfortunate circumstances. And, the coming out party for two seniors. This is the link from Gene Wojciechowski (no relation to Steve) of espn.com. Interesting note: Gardner-Webb head coach Rick Scruggs calls himself a “lifelong UK fan” and says he was pulling for the Cats hard yesterday. Seems like a real classy guy.
4. Start sending your hate mail to Mark Kriegel of foxsports.com, who decided to turn a close UK loss into the focus of his article that the Cats are no longer college basketball elite. Check out the guys picture and tell me that is not actually Danny Bonaduce.
5. Darius Miller and his Mason County teammates have advanced to the State Quarterfinals with a 4-point win over Elliott County. Please lets not argue about the mountain schools after this one. Miller scores 17 and pulls down 10 rebounds. His team plays again tonight at 8 at Rupp.
6. It’s been a while since I posted a “hot women” list, but in the theme of bracket month, a website called Subway Chatter has created a hot women bracket with the hottest women of modeling, music, movie, and TV.