Kentucky’s All-Time record against possible NCAA Tourney Opponents:
Marquette: 7-6 (last meeting: 2003 Elite Eight, L 83-69)
Stanford: 2-0 (last meeting: 1998 Final Four, W 86-85 ot)
Cornell: 0-1 (only meeting: 1966, L 92-77)
Texas: 1-0 (only meeting: 1993, W 86-61)
Memphis: 0-1 (only meeting: 2006, L 80-63)
All UK related stories today, can’t have the mind wandering before the NCAA Tournament:
1. Boy’s Sweet 16 starts today, and right off the bat you get to see Scotty Hopson play, as his University Heights team takes on a very tough Lexington Catholic at noon in Rupp Arena. Ironically, you have to wait until the last game of the 1st round, which takes place tommorow at 8PM to see UK committ Darius Miller and Mason County take the court.
2. The Courier-Journal takes a look at the guard play in the Marquette-Kentucky game. In my opinion, its guys like Perry Stevenson like will make or break the Cats tommorow, as the guards will probably play even with one another. If Perry can put out a Bobby Perry-like performance, I feel good about the Cats chances.
3. John Clay reports on the fact that Billy Gillispie likes the fact that his team has seen many styles of play over the course of SEC play.
4. Interesting story about the graduation rates of basketball players, not only at Kentucky, but across the country. This particular blogger notes that the years researched were in the transistion period between Rick Pitino and Tubby Smith, and believes that led to UK’s low grad rates (23%). You also get to see which guys are still playing professionally (NBA or elsewhere), and thats only through the Erik Daniels class. Not included are Hayes, Azuibuike, Rondo and Morris. Thats 10 professionals in 10 recruiting classes for Tubby Smith. Not trying to defend Tubby’s recruiting (because is was bad in many years), but he did bring some really good players in too.
5. Baseball Cats were not able to play yesterday because of rain, so they will try again today to tie the school record for best start, taking on Morehead St. at 6:30PM.