1. A very, very in-depth look at the UK-Miss St. game tonight, comparing the stats for the two teams. Judging from this “study”, the keys to the game are (1) Rebounding as Miss St. is 4th in the country in this department, and (2) If Meeks and Jasper dont play, UK finding more scoring options. The Bulldogs are really tough defensively, don’t be suprised to see a game in the high 50’s or low 60’s.
2. Mississippi State’s major weapon is one that UK used to employ several years ago, and thats the blocked shot, as the Herald-Leader discussed today. The Bulldogs are tenacious in the low post, both rebounding and blocking anything that comes in the area. Patrick Patterson is in for a fight tonight, much like the Louisville game.
3. Here is a quick video update from Courier-Journal recruiting guru Jody Demling on UK’s search for a big man.
4. UK is getting some of it’s first positive write-ups nationally. CBS is calling the win over Vandy the game of the weekend. Even if the Cats had lost, it probably would have been the best game of the weekend. High quality, big players stepping up, great finish, exciting atmosphere. All the reasons college basketball is better than the NBA.
5. The new Bracketology is out, and here are some UK related notes: The Cats have played 4 teams currently IN (N.Carolina, Indiana, Louisville, Vandy). UK has 7 games remaining against teams IN (Tennessee(2), Florida(2), Vandy, Mississippi, Arkansas). There are 5 SEC teams IN right now, the same number that got in last year.
6. If Michael Beasley was playing for a better team, he may be in the midst of one of the greatest individual seasons in NCAA history. First in rebounding, 4th is scoring, and all as a freshman. Because he team is fairly bad, he probably won’t be added to this list of the 10 greatest seasons ever recently released by ESPN.
7. In a move that just makes me sad, Guy Morriss has decided to decline the head coaching position at Boyle County. It was a story made for the movies, but the old UK football coach decided college football was still an option. I can still picture Morriss getting asked how to defend the double option of Fleming County and responding “Well, that Rex Grossman is a real leader, but as long as Dusty goes throw for throw, we’ll be OK. Commonwealth gonna be packed?”
8. An amazing set of videos celebrating the most unlikely sports heroes in TV and movie.
9. As you read this now, baseball is once again embarassing itself in Washington in front of Congress, as George Mitchell gets grilled by sleezy representitives. Its just one big room of crooked people talking about cover-ups and other sleezeball things. But, nothing could go worse than when Mark McGwire came before the committee and forgot about the past. Basically ended his Hall of Fame hopes in half an hour.