1. With a fairly slow news week happening, I thought I would spark a little debate that was brought up on the radio show over the summer. First, I will give you a list of the current retired jerseys at Rupp Arena. Now, I will give you a group of people that could be considered to have their names added to that list. Use the board to post your opinions: Tony Delk, Tayshaun Prince, Keith Bogans, Gerald Fitch, Wayne Turner, Jeff Sheppard, Tubby Smith. Out of that list I put up Delk, Prince, Bogans, and Smith. While this will NEVER happen, if Joe Crawford continues on his current scoring pace, he will finish in the Top 20 on the alltime UK scoring list. If, by some act of God, Patrick Patterson stays 4 years, he is currently on pace to break the career scoring record and thats if he never improves his scoring average for 4 years. Just some thoughts while being bored.
2. It’s never too early to look ahead to the 2008 college football season, and the major websites are never at a loss to provide us an early list. CNNSI puts 3 SEC teams in the top ten, including 2 on next year’s UK schedule.
3. Really great nugget in the Courier-Journal today about senior linebacker Terry Clayton. Clayton is just a walk-on, but has recieved the first ever Rudy Award, named after Rudy Ruettiger, the Notre Dame walk-on made famous by the 1990’s movie. If you haven’t heard about Clayton, he has been deaf since the age of 5, yet twice finished on the SEC Academic Honor Roll. Another high charecter guy on this years team.
4. Seth Davis is a douche bag. He ooozes it on TV. But he believes if UK were a stock, you should buy it. Don’t look too deep into this, he simply says they have nowhere to go but up. But, it’s nice to see some national “journalist” has some faith in the Cats.
5. Any interesting article by Larry Vaught today about the theory that because Kentucky is struggling, and no matter how the other teams (i.e. Ole Miss and Vandy) in the league are doing in the league, national perception is that the SEC is down. There may be a speck of truth in this, but if you watched Florida-Alabama last night, and consider those are two of the better teams, it will be a down year for the SEC. On that note, Florida is going to be REALLY GOOD next year and beyond.
6. I found an interesting post on another blog about the fact that a perfect set of events has derailed the UK season up to this point, basically some bad luck plus bad decisions and its all been bad. It’s worth reading and you can make your judgement.
7. College baseketball is the greatest sport in the world. Nothing compares to the excitement, personalities, and the tournament. But, I found this short little article about the lamest things about college basketball and it made me laugh.
8. You saw last week the interview of Bobby Knight in which he brings in his grandson and then proceeds to curse. You may also remember Knight trying to get the young tike to say something, which the kid doesn’t. Now, there is an interview out with the little boy’s comments about the situation.
9. If you heard the show last night, you heard Matt play a skit by Peyton Manning from his SNL appearance. Since it really doesn’t translate to radio, here is the link to the video, and you gotta give it to Peyton, he’s actually damn funny.