I guess I owe everyone an apology from yesterday as I tried to make a joke dealing with the whole Lucas-Patterson watch from earlier this year. Instead, my comment about Patterson commiting to Florida turned into some panicked UK fans. Trust me, I am nowhere near the inside of Kentucky sports, so take nothing I say serious. Besides my comments concerning the team, because I do consider myself an expert. Not really. On to the links:
1. Every week on Thursday, I will give you an in-depth look at the RPI, which most years doesn’t matter for Kentucky, but this year will most likely be extremely important. First, if you would like to take a look at the overall RPI, here is the link. Also, here is a link to the RPI for only SEC schools. Now a few quick stats after a closer look:
-Current Kentucky RPI: 175
-Average RPI of opponents in UK wins: 256
-Average RPI of opponents in UK losses: 103
-Best win by RPI: Texas Southern (142)
-Worst Loss by RPI: Gardner Webb (212)
-Number of Sub-100 losses: 3
-Number of Top 100 Wins: 0
-Average SEC Team RPI: 100
-Remaining Games vs Top 50 teams: 7 (Louisville, Vandy(2), Tennessee(2), Arkansas, Mississippi)
-Remaining Games vs Sub 100 teams: 12
The stats don’t look great now but remember that most SEC teams will improve their RPI once they get into league play. Keep this note in mind throughout the season: ONLY ONE TEAM WITH AN RPI OVER 70 HAS BEEN GIVEN AN AT-LARGE BID TO THE TOURNAMENT SINCE 1999. (New Mexico in 1999)
2. Here’s a little something from the past to start getting you ready for the upcoming UK-UL girl fight in Rupp Arena. If it turns out like this game did, I think Cats fans will back off just a little.
3. You gotta give it to Billy Gillispie. He doesn’t make excuses for the Cats struggles so far this season. But, you can tell from this article by Jerry Tipton that the injury bugs UK has dealt with bother and frustrate the coach.
4. A very exciting game last night between Boston and Detroit at the Fleet Center, one I hope you got to see. And if you did see it, you got a blast from the past in the play of Rajon Rondo. For one half, Rondo was the best player on the floor with guys named Allen, Pierce, Garnett, Billups, Hamilton, and Wallace, not to mention Tayshaun Prince. And in the second half, the Celtics played 4 on 5 with Rondo on the floor.
5. If national writers and their picks actually meant anything, UK would be undefeated right now in the bowl season. Both Pat Forde and Stewart Mandel have picked the Cats to take down Cheat U. and its band of 2nd stringers.
6. Feature article in the Courier-Journal today about the football Cats mindset considering the bowl game has been dampered a bit. It’s a real shame that this great group of seniors will not get the recognition they deserve because Florida State recruits morons to play football.
7. Something that gets very little coverage here on the blog is the UK women’s team. This probably has something to do with a 4-5 record. But, tonight, UL comes to Rupp Arena with the nations leading scorer in Angel Mccoughtry. If you have nothing to do, go down and support the UK women as they try to pull of a fairly big upset.
8. A really funny video about Dick Vitale’s love for Duke basketball , while also giving some respect to the UK program.