I said it yesterday, and I will repeat it today. We have the best set of conference finals in NBA history this season. And thank God because the playoffs have been quite the disapointment. But, we have the league MVP going against the defending champions, a sorta dynasty going against the Big 3 of Boston. And for people around here, you got two former UK stars playing key roles for their teams. What makes it even greater is I won’t even try to predict who will win these series, because frankly you could make very good arguments for all the teams. I will just say on looks alone, the Lakers have looked the best. And for those of you who would argue with me (like you do everyday), here are the conference finals from the past 5 seasons:
2007: Spurs-Jazz, Cavs-Pistons
2006: Mavs-Suns, Heat-Pistons
2005: Spurs-Suns, Heat-Pistons
2004: Lakers-TWolves, Pacers-Pistons
2003: Spurs-Mavs, Nets-Pistons
Onto the links (nothing UK related but keep an eye out later today for Matt to post about an article concerning you, UK fans, on cbssportsline.com, I have a feeling your unabashed hatred towards Jerry Tipton may shift to someone else)
1. Why doesn’t rugby catch on in this country.
2. Mentioned earlier, but here is the link to the video of John Lester’s no-hitter last night. Great story, cancer survivor, always fighting for a spot in the Red Sox rotation. I have a feeling he may stay in that rotation for a while.
3. Another neat story from a week or two ago. The Buffalo Bills released Kevin Everett on May 13th. If you don’t remember, Everett suffered a spinal injury in the opening game of the season. So you may be thinking the Bills really did something awful here. Actually, they did something really smart, because now Everett can pursue medical benefits to help support him, which he couldn’t being on the Bills active roster. Nive move, Bills.
4. Charles Barkley says he will not gamble again. Who believes him? I do like Charles though because he admitted he made a mistake, did it immediatly, and did it live on national TV. Hardly no one has the balls to do that.
5. Completely not sports related, but a man in Louisville actually pulled a woman over, flashed a badge, and put her in his car. One problem: the man’s badge said “Boob Inspector“. So let’s get the jokes out of the way now:
“Bet it was a UL fan”
“was it a UL football player?”
“sounds like Steve Masiello”