Bruce Pearl joins ESPN as college basketball analyst

So that’s why Erin Andrews left ESPN…

ESPN’s college basketball coverage just got more interesting. The Worldwide Leader announced on Monday that Bruce Pearl has joined the team as a basketball analyst, along with Seth Greenberg. In a move predicted by many, Jalen Rose will join the ESPN College Gameday crew. ESPN says Pearl and Greenberg will serve as studio analysts and call select games throughout the season, as well as contribute to ESPN.com and ESPN Radio. Pearl has kept up a steady gig analyzing college basketball on Sirius XM Radio and is a regular contributor to 104.5 the Zone in Nashville.

Think what you will of Pearl, but there’s no denying that the sport was a hell of a lot more fun when he was coaching, and I expect the same from his new job at ESPN. Pearl has always spoken fondly of Kentucky and now that he’s not representing the Vols, maybe the Big Blue Nation will warm to him as well. If ESPN lets him, I totally expect him to paint his chest blue and white for a Kentucky game next season.

I think this calls for a barbeque!

23 Comments for Bruce Pearl joins ESPN as college basketball analyst

1. Common Sense
    3:36 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

I see electrical outages in the future as Bruce Pearl’s sweat invades all the lines and outlets.

2. MattJonesTears
    3:40 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Lets go out to sea and find Bin Laden’s body and warm up to him as well…. Pearl and Lattener!?

3. Michael
    3:43 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

This is a great move.

4. doucat
    3:47 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Matt is to young to know Pearl is, has been and always will be a snake. He has hated Kentucky for years. When he was coaching and Southern Indiana University his biggest rival which he despised was Kentucky Wesleyan. The only way the sport is better because of him is it sure is alot of fun beating a tattling sneaky snake like him.

5. Paul
    3:50 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

First of all Ms Thompson Bruce Pearl is not entertaining. He is a liar,cheater,terrible basketball coach, and adulterer. What is it with KSR and Pearl? Just what is the fascination? This is a UK site I thought. This orange fool made a mockery of NCAA rules and then lied about it. Please go to Volnation to praise the old sweaty tan one. Thanks Paul

6. Beavis
    3:52 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Would turn on UT games to watch Hopson. Pearl knew better than anyone the value of beating UK but I don’t think he hated the UK program. Now,,,,Dale Brown,,,,thats a different story.

7. UK
    3:58 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

I know it’s not the point but Jalen Rose will be fantastic on Gameday. Always love his commentary.

8. awat
    3:58 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Just another Kentucky hater analyzing. I like it, think about him and Bobby Knight together. WOW!!! Talking about some haters. I sure as hell dont want to hear his raspy voice.

9. jcatron
    4:03 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

“I think this calls for a barbeque!” – HA!

10. PearlNecklace
    4:06 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Bruce Pearl is a weasel! Point blank period

11. Rabbi
    4:14 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Oy vey! The world wide leader just got more Jew-ier!

12. Beavis
    4:15 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

I would rather listen to Pearl than Digger or Knight,,,,,listen to me!!!!!!! Lets call him the lesser of the three evils. Now,,,,Erin,,,yep,,would listen to her anytime even if she was a Gator.

13. bluemister
    4:23 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Give me a break. The only thing worse than ESPN (or anyone) hiring the fat sweaty one is KSR falling all over themselves in spray tan love. Pearl was good for UT until he thought he was bigger than the program. He can’t recognize pictures of a BBQ at his own house and lies to the NCAA about it? Please. Then he finds out the NCAA knows he is lying so he calls them back to confess. Does that make it not a lie now? UT fires him, the NCAA says he can’t coach anywhere for 5 years without showing cause and we are supposed to say he is this wonderful person and great communicator? He’s no friend to UK, he made his smart remarks about UK and Cal, saying he didn’t know what Cal was doing, implying he was cheating. Then he sneaks around with his own recruiting antics and gets caught. What else never was uncovered or not reported? We’re supposed to feel sorry for him and listen to his fake tan BS on ESPN now? Like you said #9, let’s have a BBQ. Tyler, you bring the camera.

14. USI LOSER
    4:31 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

BruceY P is and will always be jealous of anything that is Kentucky, be it Wesleyan or the University of. He has always played second fiddle to a Kentucky School. I think this hire is more fodder for him and Bobby K to rip us. On a sidenote I just noticed that a wanted ad was posted for the GROCERY job he left.

15. Rockfield, KY
    4:37 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

I actually met him at a cookout a few weeks ago, no joke. He was extremely friendly and complimentary of UK basketball even though we were at a pro-UT party. As crazy as it might be, he’s the only coach in America that I can think of that would embrace coaching at UK similarly to Cal. He’s just not as smart as Cal.

16. AAronKraft
    4:41 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

How about that bbq chicken Pearl?

17. tyson
    5:27 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

15–You took the words right out of my mouth. i think if he had been clean, he would have been a great replacement for Cal. He is a showman and knew how to play up rivalries. I miss him in the SEC. Glad he will be on ESPN.

18. radioking
    7:29 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Bruce Pearl is NOT a Kentucky hater. I have heard him several times on Nashville radio shows and he is VERY complimentary of both KY and Cal.

19. RMN Sucks
    9:16 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

I would bet Pearl would have had the balls to call knight out last year. Have no problem with him. I would rather have him then Digger.

20. ronkat
    9:31 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Shows ESPN’s true colors hiring a bad apple like this.

21. daddy rac
    10:28 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

We need a comment section on the comment section…

22. JP
    1:56 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

bruce has those hungry eyes.

23. Steve Fitts
    11:13 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

And with the addition of two Jewish analysts, ESPN becomes the most KOSHER of all networks!