Today, football season officially kicks into gear and Rich Brooks has taken to the podium for a few opening words. Everything kicked off at 10 am and, since Matt is out being the Light Hitter and I’m cubin’ it up in Tampa, we’ll be posting Twitter updates below from UK beat stars Brett Dawson and Matt May, as well as pertinent info from Eric Lindsey, who is live blogging the press conference at UKAthletics.com.
Here you go….
Eric Lindsey/UK Athletics
– Brooks: In my mind, there is no question who our starting quarterback is. Mike Hartline is our guy.
– Brooks said Danny Trevathan is a “big-time player.” He will make a major impact on this team if he can stay healthy. Compared him to four-, five-star linebackers coming out of high school. Very fast and athletic.
– Asked about the offensive line. Said they lost some good players from last year but the line has some outstanding experience. Bigger, stronger. Christian Johnson has slimmed down. Said there will be some serious competition for starting spots. Depth is better than it’s ever been.
– Asked where Will Fidler is at in the QB race. Brooks said right now he is No. 2.
– Brooks is worried about kickoffs. Said Tim Masthay has spoiled the Cats on kickoffs the past few years. .
– Does expect the special teams to be outstanding again, particularly in the return game with Randall Cobb.
– E.J. Fields has the talent, but Brooks needs to see the production. He’ll have the opportunity to do so over the next month.
– Brooks said the team had the best summer workouts they’ve ever had. Said the desire is there; the fire is still in his belly, but it takes more than just desire. Team has to execute.
– Brooks said in his heart Randall Cobb probably wants to play QB, but in his mind he knows he has the best shot at the next level at WR.
– Brooks said he is not worried about leadership with the Cats. Said the leadership at UK is starting to spill over from class to class.
– Brooks: “If we want to be successful, we have to recruit well in Louisville. That’s the biggest population base in the state.”
– Brooks on practice restrictions due to heat: “If you’re going to err, you err on the side of caution, and that’s what the NCAA has done.”
– Derrick Locke will miss the first three days of practice due to a “tragic death” in his family, Brooks says.
– Brooks: Cats are “clearly better then we were at this time last year”
– Brooks on Chris Matthews: “He brings something we don’t have at the receiver position: Size. He’s 6-foot-6 and he can run and he can catch.”
– Brooks: Chandler Burden likely moves to left end (Jarmon’s spot). Right end a race between DeQuin Evans, Collins Ukwu and Taylor Wyndham.
– Wow, frosh WR Brian Adams nearly died this summer b/c of blood clot. He won’t play til next spring
– 1st two days in helmets, next 2 in helmets & shoulder pads. 5th day full gear. Only a pair of 2-a-days in camp
– Uh oh, mr. Inconsisten – kicker lones seiber – has had nagging leg injuries all spring and summer but is still penciled in
– SEC’s new tv contract called ‘one of biggest developments in 50 years’ in college football by Brooks, who has obviously been around awhile