Brooklyn go hard, Kentucky go harder

The Blackbirds of LIU-Brookyln came into Rupp Arena for a Black Friday Beatdown Special from your University of Kentucky Wildcats.  It wasn’t a great game defensively for the Cats, but the offense was unstoppable and carried UK to a 104-75 victory in front of an almost-packed crowd.  Kentucky moved to 4-1 on the year with the win and the Barclays Center Classic is finally over. Finally.

Shall we?

It was the Archie Goodwin and Alex Poythress Show for the second consecutive game.  UK’s two leading scorers on the season scored 22 points a piece to combine for 44 of Kentucky’s 104 total points. If you recall, Cal said after the Morehead State game Wednesday night that he told everyone to get out of the way and let Goodwin and Poythress do their thing.  “If you want to win, you’ll figure out stuff to do,” he told the other players.  Tonight was no different.  Goodwin and Poythress dominated the Blackbird defenders, scoring at will and scoring a lot.  A whole lot, as Tom Crean would say.

Goodwin chased UK history with his 22 points, almost becoming the second player ever to record a triple-double in Kentucky blue and the first since Dec. 27, 1988.  Goodwin finished with nine rebounds and nine assists in the game to go along with the 22 points.  Chris Mills is still lonely on the triple-double list.

After the game, Goodwin admitted to knowing he was close.  He said, “They told with three minutes left. I wish that they wouldn’t have told me because then I started thinking about it too much and trying too hard to get it. It was still a good night for me so I can live with it.”

Calipari said he didn’t know, but if someone had told him, he would’ve though it included 10 turnovers.

Poythress’ 22 points made him the second freshman in Kentucky history to ever record four consecutive 20-point games.  Only Dwight Anderson from 1978-79 team has accomplished the same feat. Poythress’ last four games look like this:

— 22 points (9-for-11) vs. LIU-Brooklyn
— 20 points (6-for-12) vs. Morehead State
— 22 points (9-for-10) vs. Lafayette
— 20 points (9-for-12) vs. Duke

That’s efficient.

Some Ryan Harrow news to hold you over… Calipari expects Harrow to be back with the team Saturday and at practice on Sunday and Monday.  “We want Ryan back,” Cal said after the game. “At the end of the day, I think he’ll be back tomorrow.”

I guess we’ll know for sure tomorrow and can hopefully put all the speculation to bed.

Nerlens Noel had another great game on Friday night.  The nation’s top freshman had 18 points, eight rebounds, five assists, and five blocks.  He played the best two minutes of basketball one guy can play to start the game, swatting shots on one end and dunking on kids on the other.  Had he kept it up at the pace he was on, Noel would’ve finished the game with 66 points, all dunks, and 43 blocks.

Willie Cauley-Stein, the mustard to Noel’s ketchup, also played a pretty solid game.  Cauley-Stein grabbed a career-high eight rebounds and tied his career-high in blocks with four.  He also added 12 points in his 25 minutes for good measure.

Afterwards, Calipari said, “I thought (Noel and Cauley-Stein) were great.  I think both of them played well.  We had to put Willie on number one because he was doing whatever he wanted and Willie did a good job on him. It was great to see that they could do that and he could go guard an athletic four.  Really, the kid is like a three because of his size and Willie guarded him and did a heck of a job.  That’s when you went from 18 or 20 to 28 or 29 because you made about four plays in a row where he stopped him from scoring.”

Yes, that was Karl Towns Jr. you saw sitting behind Kentucky’s bench in UK gear.  Towns, the No. 1 player in the 2015 class, is set to announce his decision on Dec. 4.  It can’t be a bad thing that he was in Lexington watching the Cats play less than two weeks before his decision goes public.

Oh, he ate dinner with his good friend Brad Calipari after the game, too.

Come on down?

It was another off-night for Kyle Wiltjer from the beyond the arc.  Wiltjer went 1-for-4 on three-point attempts, putting him at an uncharacteristic 2-for-9 in his last two games since getting wet all over Duke in Atlanta.  He did add a smooth five assists, though.

Julius Mays carried the deep ball weight while Wiltjer struggled to get it going.  Mays hit 3-of-6 from downtown on his way to a career-high 15 points.  Mays also dished out six assists and wore that bandage for yet another game.  I hope he wears it all year long.

Jon Hood had a steal, a rebound, an assist and a three-pointer in seven minutes of action. #LakeHairDontCare #Madisonville #270

If you watched the television broadcast, you, like me, probably thought LIU-Brooklyn had a player named Velociraptor.  His name is actually Jamal Olaswere and he scored 22 points for the Blackbirds.  He and Julian Boyd carried the load for LIU-Brooklyn and took 32 of the team’s 65 shot attempts.

Calipari took the “poop ice cream” analogy to the next level on his postgame radio show.  Cal finally broke down what he means by his most popular phrase.  He said, “You can put a bucket of ice cream in a bucket of poop and it’s still poop.  But if you put a bit of poop in a bucket of ice cream, it isn’t ice cream.”

Mind. Blown.

“Don’t be the poop in our ice cream,” he said.

Want more fun with quotes?  Dave Baker had this to say about Jarrod Polson during the broadcast: “There’s Polson, making middle schoolers from all over Kentucky swoon. He’s like the Justin Bieber of the place.”

Polson’s Justin Beiber comparisons are the new “SHOOOOOOOOOOOOT!”

With the win, Kentucky moved to 1-0 after watching Lincoln together on holidays.  Fox Sports South’s Tom Werne asked Willie Cauley-Stein about the team’s group date before the game and if they took anything away from the movie.  The freshman big man told him, “Lincoln never gave up and that’s what I’ve been trying to do since I got here.”  Werne asked him how things are going so far in Lexington and Willie said, “I still have a jersey so I guess it’s going good.”

That’ll do it for now, I suppose.

#BeatTennessee

Article written by Drew Franklin

56 Comments for Brooklyn go hard, Kentucky go harder

1. Joe
    10:41 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Too bad Archie didn’t get that triple double. But hopefully he liked the taste of all those assists.

I do think he is the best offensive player in the half court set I’ve ever seen, going back to the late 70’s. Any disagreements?

2. Buckets
    10:41 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Woah, some dude just called Matt the P word on the radio show! Haha My mom would not approve. She HATES the P word!

3. George
    10:47 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

I would bet that coach normally uses a word other than ‘poop!’
    LOL

4. Bulldawg
    10:48 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Noel is definitely my favorite player. It is clear that he lays it all on the line for his team and is way better in the post than most people think. Noel is truly a pleasure to watch. Great “TEAM” player.

5. New song
    10:52 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Off topic I know but it’s killing me. What is the new song the uk band is playing during timeouts? They played it at the blue/white game I was at several times and I just couldn’t place it. Then it was in the background tonight on the tv broadcast. It’s a newer song maybe a few years old and it’s killing me that I can’t place it!!!

6. Trevor
    11:02 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

#1 Archie is extremely aggressive offensively and has a nose for the basket. I’d have to do some research on the best offensive player part, but I absolutely love his motor. He can score on anyone and that just opens it up for everyone. The big thing though is he can abuse people one on one because the defense can’t really drop off anyone. They said Nerlens and Willie were projects offensively. I’m not seeing it. Defenses have to cover both of them and that leaves room for Archie. BTW – Alex is a freakin’ beast! Wait till Kyle gets his eye and becomes deadly again. 🙂

7. williamtitan
    11:03 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

8. ljblue
    11:05 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

ha! I was calling that guy velociraptor.

9. Alex
    11:09 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

I said this in the Spring:
    Alex Poythress will lead the SEC in scoring.
    He will also set a UK freshman record.
    He will be the consistent guy who cranks out 20 every night.
    Archie will have a 40 point game this year, but he will also struggle
    when he goes against a primo big man meeting him in the lane.

I would love to see him be patient and let the game come to him
    just a bit more.

10. bsquareda
    11:09 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

wow someone just called matt a P again

11. mudcreekmark
    11:10 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

1) Lets not get carried away just yet. I think he has the potential to be a very good player for us but he has to play a little bit more in control and stop trying to force things. He is not always going to get those calls when he is going in the lane like a wild man and just throws it up hoping to get a call.Very pleased with him over all though. I also love the energy Noel plays with. The biggest thing with this team so far is learning how to play defense and how to rebound. The only person I have actually seen all year find a man and box him out was Jon Hood tonight. I actually saw him, when the ball was shot, look for a man and put his butt against him.

12. Bulldawg
    11:14 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

I just scrolled all the way down the page and did not see 1 football post. The day before the Cats play UT? Now that the Petrino rumor has been debunked, is it safe to put up something about football? I know most of yall don’t care about football… I just can’t figure out why they suck so bad… just can’t put my finger on it…

13. Alex
    11:15 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Matt is a P.
    Everyone knows it.

Beisner, not a P.

14. njCat
    11:21 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

11. Go check the box scores from the past three years and look at the numbers for Wall, Knight and Teague. Goodwin is blowing them all away – particularly in the assist to TO ratio. Given that those three were consensus #1 PG’s in their HS class, I’d say that puts Archie at the top. He wasn’t even supposed to be a PG and he’s better than all three of those guys, EASILY.

15. Sheriff Buford T. Justice
    11:25 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

5. They’ve played “Little Lion Man” by Mumford and Sons, as well as White Stripes ‘Seven Nation Army” a bunch recently. May be one of those?

16. Jean
    11:25 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

What a sad life you live. Paragraph’s on a site that doesn’t care is amazing. You people are sad.

17. njCat
    11:26 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Five guys in double figures and Wiltjer wasn’t one of them. Just sure he has the athleticism to be a contributor on this team. The 4 freshmen have MUCH higher ceilings, they are going to improve much faster than him going forward. If Julius, Alex and Archie can hit their outside shots consistently, Kyle will play less and less.

18. peanut butter jelly time
    11:27 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Harrow’s expected back tomorrow? But I thought all the experts and insiders on here said he was transferring and couldn’t hack it at UK and had emotional problems, etc., etc.?

19. william titan
    11:27 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

14. archie has only played a few games and the way he is playing right now i dont doubt any of those statistics. say what u just said in the next 30 + games. better than wall or knight? cmon. for all we know goodwin can suck it up in the sec. u cant just say he is the best point guard calipari has ever had a UK. especially after a few games. thats stupidity talking.

20. HTG.
    11:32 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

This site is the worst.

21. New song
    11:33 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

7 nation army!!!! That’s it!!! Thanks. Now I can sleep

22. Beatle Bum
    11:36 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Petrino and a booster walked into a bar … I know, because Larry Vaught wrote about it.

23. H tv
    11:40 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

What’s the deal Fatt? Why are you mad?

24. UK Freshmen
    11:40 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Wow! Way to keep it classy, Cal.

25. Sandy
    11:48 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

I don’t know what “getting wet” means, but if it means shooting well, I think you mean Wiltjer “got wet” against Lafayette. Ryan Kelly shut him down for 5pts in that Duke game. I think we’ll start to see him come off the bench in a similar role to what he had last year, only maybe getting a few more mpg.

26. Sam
    11:52 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

22…why do you spread meaningless rumors? You can’t let it rest can you? You’ve been coming on here for years spreading your lies and rumors…acting like you are an insider. i guess you were there when Petrino walked in, huh? You make me sick…damn you

27. CATS
    11:57 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Agree with #11 on the defense and rebounding part. It’ll come though with time. I know it isn’t Cal’s style of play, but I really feel like he needs to run some plays for Kyle to get a shot or run some pick and pop. He’s not very good at creating his own shot like other guys are. We need him to shoot more. Also like everyone else has said, Archie is great, but needs to slow down some and be a little less selfish. Nerlens needs to stop falling for the shot fake so much. He could just stand there with his hands up and block shots. Lastly, Willie needs to realize he’s 7’0! Even though he had 4 blocks and 8 rbs tonight, I think he needs to block more shots and rebound better. He just needs to be stronger and crash the boards better. They are all young though and learning so I will cut them some slack ha.

28. DirtyDutchMantel
    12:20 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

Hate to say it but I would trade harrow for russ smith in a second. Hard to believe he was a 2 star. I think smith would make harrow pee his pants if he guarded harrow.

29. Pappa D Nutts
    12:50 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

Looks like we will be getting Jones, I for one will not be any where near this site or anything related to UK, Mitch and Jones will have an uphill battle to reunite the fan base, Just hope BP doesn’t go to another SEC team and does well, if he does Mitch might as well leave the east coast.

30. Badams
    1:56 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

Kills me some of you think Petrino is the only answer. What if he came here and tanked? Or better yet, ended up in the news for another negative action. Just shut up already! Anyway, I saw Josh Hopkins sittin behind the bench as well.

31. What...?
    2:02 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

Oh really? Wiltjer got wet against Duke? Too bad that never happened. If 5 points was “getting wet” then every guy down at the YMCA would be getting wet after two buckets. Just some more nonsense writing from KSR, a lot of wrong info and always late on breaking news, stealing it from other sites. Keep up the good work guys!

32. What...?
    2:04 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

28. That’s one of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard. You probably would take Peyton Siva for 4 years over John Wall, Brandon Knight, and Marquis Teague as well…

33. soggyUKgrad
    2:26 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

#29..(and all of you demanding Petrino)…goodbye. and good riddance. I am thankful that the man leading our coaching search has more morals than some of the commenters on this site.

34. Chris
    2:33 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

People like #29 are dumb “hopefully he doesn’t go to another sec school” you don’t understand we are the worst of the openings in the sec so if any of the other schools want him he wasn’t coming to UK anyway.

35. Hunt
    3:23 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

@27 CATS, agreed with everything except half of the statement that Goodwin needs to be less selfish. In his natural position as a 2-guard he needs to be MORE selfish, because damn, the kid can score. He and Poythress are half our points, and that on a team described as transition/post offense.

With Goodwin playing the point I imagine it’s robbing him of 10ppg easy. With his motor I easily imagine if he’s freed up to BE a little more selfish by sliding him over to his natural position as SG (which he does when Polson or Mays takes point) and not have to worry about oh, running the team and creating plays for 5 players instead of 1 or 2 (the big on his side, or whomever he could kick out to after driving back door from the wing), he’d be capable of hanging a Jodie Meeks style 50+ points on any given team. Kid will be that good when he comes into his own soon, IF freed up from running point… And only on our team can averaging 20ppg can you have not yet come into your own.

36. Big Whoop
    4:43 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

As this team gets more PT together, they are going to get better and better. I’ve seen no team this year that has more upside. Come March, everyone else better look out.

16 – Just because you can’t think in more than 48 characters at a time doesn’t make this site sad. It makes you sad.

37. Edth Bunker
    6:26 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

OOHH ARCHIE !!

38. reality
    6:55 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

35- Showcasing his game at the point may cost him 10 ppg but it can only improve his NBA appeal. Execs always look out for a talented combo guard with motor, re: MKG. As long as he’s efficient and we continue to collect dubble-ewes, Archie can be the beginning and end of our offense. Inches away from a triple double for Goodwin’s sake!

39. Bledsoe's Biceps
    7:03 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

I think the Kyle Wiltjer we’ve seen 4 of the 5 games is all we can expect most nights. He’ll be a 4 year guy who is a role player that makes great contributions some games, but not most. But that’s fine by me. He’s a spot up shooter and that’s it. He simply doesn’t have the athletic ability to create his own shot or guard anything except a fence post. He’s 6’9″ and does not rebound well. He does display some good passing skills. I hope he proves me wrong, but I think this is about as good as it gets for Kyle.

40. BravoBigBlue
    7:13 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

Wiltger would be a much more effective player off the bench IMO. He brings the threat of instant offense and would help open up the floor for the other players. Being a starter allows the other team to better exploit his weaknesses. Good shooter and passer and high BB IQ, but very limited athletically. Cannot play consistent solid defense.

41. Tapout
    7:36 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

:33 – too bad joker isn’t a saint either right? Dude cheats on his wife. But it’s ok cuz he is a kentucky boy right?

42. BraboBigBlue
    7:51 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

Enough of the Joker bashing about his personal YOU don’t know what’s true and what’s not true. Fair game to criticize his job performance (for which he was $handsomely rewarded), BUT if all you have is rumors (and I’m sure it is), then STFU.

43. Really?
    7:57 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

Joker cheats on his wife? Link?

44. tdogg40330
    8:12 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

36) I totally agree. I’ve watched about every team in the top 10 play
    this year, UK has the most talent …. but we prolly knew that. Some
    teams are deeper but UK can put the best 5 on the court vs anyone.

45. O well
    8:27 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

If butch jones is your best Mitch then I guess we will be looking for a new ad along with HC in 4 yrs too

I hope we get bj and we suck lol.
    Mitch u are pathetic n I can’t believe that the ppl of kentucky allow u to gut thier FB for soccer or track

Run this man out of the state

46. tdogg40330
    8:33 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

45) thats just stupid to hope that we suck if Butch Jones is hired. You
    call yourself a fan huh??

47. Warren Oates
    8:34 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

For the record Knight > COLLEGE “career” than Wall here .Only thing Wall better than Knight was speed.If we take off the blue glasses Wall is on way to being NBA “bust” as far as buildup he had.Wall was a great player but the “legend” if Wall better than he actually was and is now .

48. Mad Monk
    8:57 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

I am not one that has supported the football program but if you morons think Butch Jones is a bad hire, well, you are ignorant about football.

49. reality
    9:01 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

44- I agree, seems to me like a down year across the board. Perennial powerhouses like Michigan state or Kansas will have an advantage heading into the tournament. Only time will tell how prepared our young team will be in march, but they’re certainly showing enough flashes to encourage an exuberant fanbase. Just like Mays with Goodwin, BBN can carry this team a little bit.

50. bung
    9:32 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

18 fast break points and 28 assists

51. get over it...
    9:55 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

you people all about petrino kill me. everyone thinks he got fired because he had a hot blonde employee on the bike of his motorcycle and we should all just get over that. that is not what he got fired for. he got fired for breaking almost every hiring law in the state of arkansas and arkansas is lucky they are not getting sued by every person that applied for that job. secondly, he lied to administration and the police. he will NOT be at auburn and why do u think they are not looking at him? barnhart cannot take that chance and u people don’t realize it. however, tennessee may but i bet they dont even either….

52. Yngvie Malmsteen.
    9:58 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

Only Baker wouldn’t know being compared to Beiber is a insult.

53. Hhhh
    10:09 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

Hey 46. It was joke a play on words

I said I hope we get ‘BJ’ and we suck. Get it

54. Jack
    10:17 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

Julius Mays career high is 15 points? Try a little harder next time.

55. xcoach
    10:44 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

Has anyone else noticed that Dave Baker has lost it? He gave the Kelly boy an assist he didn’t have. Never was close to the ball during the Morehead game. Doesn’t notice when team switch defenses for two possessions. Called a pick and roll score a give and go the other night. What’s up with him?

56. Trevor
    12:18 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

I know we want instant success in Football. What was it that the Arizona Cardinals, Dennis Green said after getting spanked by the Bears I believe, “They were who we thought they were!”. Gentlemen, we are in the SEC. UK is a perennial middle of the pack team tops. Sure we can get Bobby Petrino. Bobby will get us to a couple of 7-5 seasons maybe even 8-4. He will then become a hot product cause his screw-ups will be a couple of years removed. He will then get a big time job (which UK is not!). Then UK is back to square one. Lets get past the names and look at the resumes. Urban Meyer and Nick Saban were up and coming coordinators and smaller time head coaches at one point. Why not take the route of doing our due diligence and hiring a great up and comer? Do you think the Florida faithful thought that an ex Utah coach would take them where Urban did?