Bridge Over Troubled Traffic

mintonbridge

I don’t always have bridges named after me…but when I do, they have cracks thicker than my eyebrows

If you listened to the radio show today, you heard Matt mention the crisis striking Kentuckiana regarding the indefinite closing of the Sherman Minton (pictured above) bridge.  I’ve heard incredible horror stories of 2 to 3 hours of traffic coming from New Albany and further down I-64. The cities are taking measures to ease the issues, but looks like it will be impossible to cure this while the SM bridge is out of commission.

As someone who grew up in New Albany and goes back often, this really put a damper on my plans of returning soon.  I understand that Indiana sucks (agreed) but this could hurt businesses in the area.  Roger Baylor, owner of the New Albanian Brewing Company (if you love beer, PLEASE go here), hopes this will give travelers and locals both a chance to embrace ‘buying local’ a little more.

Okay, enough with that serious stuff.  Real people are being affected by this!  The amount of people late to work and class is astronomic right now.  Everyday, employers must be wondering where the hell their employees are, and assume they are stuck in the abyss of traffic.  Let’s take a look at all the people/things who seem to still be stuck in this insane bridge traffic and are MIA

– Coach Cal from securing a Shabazz Muhammed commitment in Vegas

– Will Stein’s stilts to see over the O-line

– New Orleans’ special teams trying to find Randall Cobb

– Louisville’s secondary trying to find…everybody

– Bruce Pearl and his car full of groceries (including now melted ice cream)

– Teddy Bridgewater’s talent

– Kige Ramsey returning from his Anorexic Anonymous meetings in Indiana

– #TeamJennifer and her husband on their way to breakup the Meijer scuffle

– Pat Forde on his way home from NCAA HQ in Indy

– Tyrone Williams (Jeffersonville WR) trying to visit UK

– Cat fans who like to start tailgating on Weds morning

– The missing 14th SEC team

– Charlie Strong’s hope

– Matt Jones from collecting from his bookie

– Ricky P, Tim, and Karen on their way to Cincy…again

Okay, well I guess we should ask our loyal readers how it’s been for them.  So, tell us, how’s this crazy bridge stuff treating you?

Article written by Chris Thomas

23 Comments for Bridge Over Troubled Traffic

1. Claude Holiday III
    9:23 pm September 13, 2011 Permalink

So you’re saying Cal got a committment from Shabazz?

2. Cousins Fake Teeth
    9:29 pm September 13, 2011 Permalink

I dont “buy local”. I “buy cheaper”

3. Foodaholic
    9:36 pm September 13, 2011 Permalink

How the hell am I supposed to get Arnie’s pizza now? GGRRrrr

4. Jarweed
    9:46 pm September 13, 2011 Permalink

Seriously (so sorry) this is what you get in tea party land, folks. While Mitch McConnell heads the charge against the president infrastructure program 34% of Kentucky’s bridges are structurally deficient. When a bridge falls into the river just you remember that tea party nuts want it that way — as long as it happens to someone else.

5. ToeMater
    9:50 pm September 13, 2011 Permalink

If the twits in the East End had shut their yaps 10 or 15 years ago there might have been an I-265 bridge in place right now to help with the traffic. Probably some of those same forty some dedicated souls work on the Rupp study group right now. A$$HAT$!!!

6. Rumor
    9:59 pm September 13, 2011 Permalink

Anyone else heard about the rumor of Josh Selby being gay? Not that there’s anything wrong with it; it’s just interesting to see what the response will be.

7. jeremy
    10:07 pm September 13, 2011 Permalink

Monday I left my house at 8 to get to my 950 class at Spalding University (usually takes 30 minutes) I got to campus at 11 and my class ended at 1130 so I turned around and went home. When I went to work at Lake Forest Country Club which usually takes me around 35 minutes I left my house at 2 and got to work at 355 when I was supposed to be there at 4.

8. Alex Legion's mom
    10:27 pm September 13, 2011 Permalink

I knew traffic was gonna be bad.

9. Stephen
    10:30 pm September 13, 2011 Permalink

I live near downtown Louisville and work in J-Town, so luckily I don’t have to cross any bridges. I still figured that I would experience a lot of delays with everything else being backed up though; but luckily for me it hasn’t been that bad.

10. Axe Cop
    10:35 pm September 13, 2011 Permalink

New Albanian is phenomenal. Their beer is excellent (probably better than BBC) and the food is top notch, but not too expensive. Love that place.

11. Axe Cop
    10:39 pm September 13, 2011 Permalink

3. I hate you and you’re the reason this country will lose to China.

12. RICHARD PIKEY
    10:47 pm September 13, 2011 Permalink

Wait? Chris Thomas, you write for KSR??? How did I miss this…???

13. ukfan
    11:04 pm September 13, 2011 Permalink

Yeah the tea party is nuts! They want a balanced budget and to reduce our deficits that are leading to a depression. What’s wrong with those weirdos?

14. FML
    11:06 pm September 13, 2011 Permalink

Taking classes @ IUS in New Albany and have to go over to that sh$t state Monday thru Thurs. right at rush hour. In order to get there in time I have to leave 2hrs early…so yea it’s pretty miserable and they to need to fix this asap.

15. Sexington
    11:34 pm September 13, 2011 Permalink

If you need an excuse to not go to new albany ever ever ever ever again.

16. willie
    11:52 pm September 13, 2011 Permalink

#4 yeah, and all Republicans want to feed old people dog food, and let them and small children starve to death,,,blah, blah, blah…

17. willie
    12:05 am September 14, 2011 Permalink

#4, yeah, and those evil wepublicans want to feed all old people dog food, and then want all old people to die awong with wittle children and puppy dogs. WOW, do you work for msnbc ? You sure know your talking points, blah, blah, blah…

18. buk
    9:41 am September 14, 2011 Permalink

I live in Jeffersonville, IN and work in downtown Louisville. I usually leave at 8 and get to work at about 8:30. Monday morning I left for work at 7:00 and got to work at 9.

However, the past 2 mornings I have left at 6:30 and clocked into work at 7, encountering zero traffic. Which means I get to leave work at 4. Which is nice. It’s not so bad if you can alter your schedule.

19. Rickforgottowearhisraincoat
    9:44 am September 14, 2011 Permalink

#4 – Really? Your serious? That bridge has been there for decades and now all of the sudden its the TEA Parties fault that it has a crack? If you live in Louisville, you know they are doing a lot of infrastructure work right now. What else can you blame on the TEA Party? Our inept offense? Randall Cobb not staying? No basketball signees yet? BTI?

20. JDubbs1983
    12:52 pm September 14, 2011 Permalink

I think they should tear down all three bridges and keep the Hoosier rif raf out! Besides no one really “wants” to go Indiana. If it wasn’t for the Casinos,French Lick resort, and the city of Indianapolis they would have no “tourism”

21. Steve Fitts
    3:10 pm September 14, 2011 Permalink

#18–I too live in Jeffersonville and work in Louisville. Like you, I have found that leaving early really helps. Also, I TOTALLY AVOID I-65! I take the surface streets in Jeffersonville over to the Clark Memorial Bridge and am able to go right across the Clark Memorial Bridge without problems. Forget I-65, forget the Kennedy Bridge, and take the surface streets over to the Clark Memorial Bridge!

22. gary
    8:06 pm September 14, 2011 Permalink

No. 4 is a perfect example of how far the Democrats have taken intellegence down, blaming the tea-party for a bridge that was built 49 years ago. The tea-party wants responsible spending not idiot spending. Case in point, just today it was reported that 535 million dollars was given to a company in California in 2009 only to go bankrupt this year.

23. Steve Fitts
    7:43 am September 15, 2011 Permalink

The key is to leave early, avoid the interstates altogether, take the surface streets in Jeffersonville to the Clark Memorial Bridge, and take that bridge to Louisville. Just forget about I-65 and forget about the Kennedy Bridge. The surface streets and Clark Memorial Bridge are your easiest way to get to Louisville!