Brian Long’s Wednesday News and Views

Long_Brian_TV Head 12-13

You didn’t think we’d let Tuesday end without saying “Happy Birthday” to one of our favorite Wildcats, did you? Brian Long turned 21 on Tuesday, which means right now he’s probably enjoying the awesome rite of passage that comes with it, or the awful after effects. Either way, happiest of birthdays to you, Brian. My favorite Brian Long memory, aside from his hilarious photobomb in the National Championship celebration picture last year? The bravery he showed in letting Anthony Davis dunk over him in this video:

While Brian has seen limited game action in his two years as a Wildcat, he’s already made the KSR Inside Joke Hall of Fame. During UK’s magical National Championship run last season, a fan called into the radio show to gush about the Cats, and gave us a line we’ve been repeated ad nasuem ever since: “Do you think Brian Long appreciates this??”

While the caller may have been serious, we certainly are not whenever we joke about Brian Long’s appreciation for the Big Blue Nation. Today, let us all put on Bruce Springsteen and toss one back for Brian, a New Jersey native. Wait…more current…let us all put on Bon Jovi? No, still too dated. Fine. Let us all put on some synthy club music and fist pump. I’ll put on some black eyeliner and maybe we can even convince Drew Franklin to style his hair like Pauly D.

Brian, these news and views are for you. That’s how much we appreciate you.

Alex will return

The biggest news of the day broke Tuesday evening, when UK announced that Alex Poythress will return for his sophomore season. When Willie and Archie announced their intentions on Monday, Alex was said to still be gathering information and opinions on what he should do. Whereas many mock drafts still projected him to go in the first round, analysts were emphatic that Alex was not ready to go to the league. Had Alex gone, he would have benefited from an inflated draft pick, but would likely be forced to work through the problems in his game in the D-League, and judging by his poor work ethic, that would be an uphill battle at best. Now, Alex can return to school and have the time and tools he needs to improve his game and his mental issues on the court without the deadline of the draft looming over him. Alex weighing his options is understandable; if you think about the draft in the next few years, this could be the highest he would go, even with another year of hard work. In his statement through UK, Alex cited the need to improve his game and the desire to win a national championship as his main reasons for returning. I can’t wait to see the player he becomes with hard work and a little bit of patience.

What about Nerlens?

That cryptic line from Archie, Willie and Kyle’s statements was there again at the bottom of Alex’s: “Additional announcements regarding remaining players will be made at a later date.” Naturally, that makes your heart race a little bit when you think about Nerlens. But, before you start reshaping your hair into a flat top for next season, Jeff Goodman says not so fast. Goodman posted this little piece of logic on Twitter Tuesday night:

Nerlens Noel still likely headed to NBA. Rehab going well from what I have been told. Well ahead of schedule. I would not be surprised if Nerlens doesn’t make an announcement before college deadline. No need to. Can wait for NBA deadline.”

I love Nerlens and I would love even more for him to return to school, but you can’t pass up on being the number one pick.

Wiggins Watch

This is pretty much a daily segment now, isn’t it? Tuesday was media day at McDonald’s All-American Week, which meant reporters once again swarmed Andrew Wiggins searching for scraps of information about his upcoming decision. Wiggins didn’t bite, reiterating that he has “no clue” when he’ll announce. He did describe each of the schools he’s considering–Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas and Florida State–in equally glowing terms, so no tell there.

Video courtesy of cn|2

In fact, the only tell Wiggins has given reporters in Chicago was his comment about UK–using the word “we”–being the best team in college basketball next season if he committed. On Tuesday, Wiggins backtracked on that comment slightly, telling reporters “I say a lot of things, I don’t really remember saying that, but it slipped out.” That’s why they call them Freudian slips.

When asked about the possibility of playing with the six McDonald’s All-Americans who have committed to UK, Wiggins praised the future Cats:

“It would be good. They’ll all probably be superstars when they go to the next level. It’s always good to surround yourselves with guys who you know are going to make it too. …They’re all unselfish. They want to win.”

Future Cats talk about the future

If that quote from Wiggins about next year’s team doesn’t get you excited, these soundbites from the UK commits themselves will. To the quotes!

Julius Randle

On the Harrison Twins: “They hate to lose. I think their will to win is what makes them so good. They do anything on the court to win.”

On the Big Blue Nation: “To me, they [UK] have the best fans in America. The fan base is crazy. I can’t say enough about them, it’s going to be an amazing feeling to know that they have our back every day.”

On next season: “Anything other than winning a championship is a disappointment,” he said. “I don’t care how anybody views it. That’s how I view it.”

40-0?: “Why not? I don’t go into a game thinking I’m going to lose. Every game I go into, I want to win.”

Marcus Lee

If Wiggins goes to UK: “They would just kick us out of the NCAA and put us in the NBA games. Just kidding, but it’d be unfair.”

On hostile crowds: “As long as it’s loud, I’m totally fine with it. They can boo me all they want. I’m totally fine with it. In my high school, we weren’t as spirited. We had a big gym and we had a lot of people during the playoffs, but not as many during the regular season.”

“I’ve never really been super hated like that. Being super hated is pretty exciting for me.”

On UK’s goals: “Our main goal is just to mesh as quickly as possible as a team and hopefully not lose a game.”

Andrew Harrison

On hostile crowds: “In Houston, they hate on us no matter who we play or where we are. We take that and we turn it around as motivation. It helps us play harder, actually.”

Aaron Harrison

Next year’s goal: “To win a national championship of course. 40-0 is not a goal- just to win our last game. It’d be nice to do it, but it’s not our goal.”

If Wiggins comes?: “We’d be an amazing team. He’s one of the best athletes I’ve seen in my life.”

On hostile crowds: “We all know that there’s going to be a lot of hate, and a lot of lies told about us. It’s motivation.”

Dakari Johnson

On hostile crowds: “I’m looking forward to it. I want to embrace it. I know a lot of people hate Marshall Henderson, but he just embraces it. He lives in the moment and he just does what he does. And we’re going to do what we do.”

On Andrew Wiggins’ decision: “He won’t tell anybody anything, but I predict he’s coming to the Big Blue Nation.”

Oddly, no quotes from James Young. He had a minor injury earlier in the week, so maybe he left early to spend time with a trainer or stake a claim on some of the free McDonald’s before Kennedy Meeks got to the hospitality room.

Aaron Gordon will be a “West Coast Wildcat”

On Tuesday, Aaron Gordon announced that he would play his college ball at Arizona this coming year, picking the Wildcats over Oregon, Kentucky and Washington. Gordon not choosing Kentucky comes as no surprise, as he’s been leaning towards staying out West for most of his recruitment. Gordon has been one of the standouts at the McDonald’s All-American festivities this week, and while having him in Lexington would be great, Andrew Wiggins is still the better prize.

Etc.

— UK Hoops’ season may have ended on Monday night, but they’re still pulling in the accolades. A’dia Matheis was named Second Team All-American by the Associated Press on Tuesday and was also invited to participate in the State Farm College Slam Dunk & 3-Point Championships on April 4th in Atlanta. The senior led UK in scoring (16.1 points per game), 3-point field goals made (73) and 3-point field goal percentage (.425). She also ranked second on the team in steals (69) and assists (80) and third in rebounds (4.5 rebounds per game). You go, girl.

— After receiving 115 handwritten letters from UK recently, top 2014 QB Drew Barker may be nearing a decision date. Barker tweeted the following Tuesday night: “Just had a long conversation with my parents and coach and I believe we have pinpointed the day I’m going to make my college decision!!” Come be a hero, Drew.

— Finally, congrats to the UK baseball team for their 5-4 victory over #9 Louisville. The Bat Cats, currently ranked seventh in the nation, beat the Cards in 10 innings in Louisville. KSR College’s David Mulloy has a full recap. Right now (or hell, any other day), I’ll take any win I can get over the dirty birds.

That’s all for now. Matt and Drew have returned from their Connecticut road trip, so things should get back to normal in the morning. I’ll leave you with this thing of beauty: 2013class

54 Comments for Brian Long’s Wednesday News and Views

1. Wow
    11:12 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Lady Cards are beating down UT and Kevin Durant is there cheering them on.

2. Catlogic15
    11:16 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

I think when describing Alex, “mental issues” and “poor work ethic” is being harsh.

You don’t know him.

3. who tang
    11:23 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Favorite wildcats?

4. Men In Black
    11:26 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Somebody pass out some dark sunglasses for those guys…

5. bosshog
    11:27 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Now that things have pretty much fallen into place for a huge transformation next year, I found myself thinking tonight, “Robert Morris?” GEEEEZZZZZ….that really was a freakin’ mail-it-in embarassment….from cutting the nets to cutting your own throats. So, I’m really glad that we’re getting most of the guys back and that with the fiercely competitive nature of the Harrison’s and the other guys, our old crew should be much improved.

6. ajh
    11:27 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

1- An. Harrison Polson Hawkins
    2- Aa. Harrison J. Young
    3- Poythress
    4- Randle Lee Wiltjer
    5- Cauley-Stein D. Johnson

7. ajh
    11:27 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

And mayb even Wiggins… Good stuff…

8. Skeps
    11:30 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

#2 – You beat me to it. None of us know how hard he works. Just happy he’s coming back.

9. L1C4
    11:33 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Who is the unicorn in the middle?

10. UKGrad04
    11:40 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

I love that these guys are already taking ownership of next year’s team, especially the Harrison twins. Andrew is already my favorite player on next year’s team; I think he’ll be the PG version of MKG. #RefusetoLose

11. tdogg40330
    11:45 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

@9 you’ll find out soon enough !!!!

12. SoCal Will
    11:58 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

6) You are missing Willis…. Also, anyone watching MKG play the 3 last season and Alex play it this season wouldn’t quibble about “poor work ethic” comments. Cal only phrased the same sentiment in a dozen different ways.

13. dave
    12:00 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

i assume and hope you actually know what you’re talking about when you throw around “mental issues” and “poor work ethic” when referring to poythress. b/c without evidence or an explanation you appear, at best, ignorant/lazy/sensational. so hopefully you know what you’re talking about & not bad-mouthing a kid….

14. Judy
    12:00 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

Now that’s a fine looking group of six good looking young men and they are all ours. GO CATS

15. Priorties
    12:17 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

I’m afraid we’re forgetting – It’s Brian Long’s Birthday! These freshman-to-be will get more than all the press they can handle – this should be Brian’s day. Too bad all you bandwagon fans had to go to Keeneland or frat parties while Brian put it all out on the practice court the past two years. Happy Birthday Brian. Hope all your NJ family has recovered from Sandy.

16. Shaffer
    12:34 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

I agree with the commenters who question the use of Alex’s work ethic and mental issues. I read that and was like what the f*ck! And then he writer says they want to see how Alex improves. Based on your previous BS about his work ethic he won’t improve. Stupid write up

17. Hartline
    12:39 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

VOTE FOR CHEDDAR TOTS

18. Bobbum man
    12:42 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

Que the 30 people that will list our starting lineup and backups for next year

19. Bobbum man
    12:43 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

15- what part of Brian Longs Wednesday news and views didnt you understand?

20. KYStout
    12:50 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

I like to come here to get the latest news on the Cats.

Thanks KSR for all you do.

Now with that being said, I don’t come here to get UK news from Jeff freaking Goodman.

21. C-A-T-S
    12:51 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

I hate saying this but someone needs to point out that the problem with Poythress and the other bugs was that they didn’t have anyone around them that created any opportunities for them. Harrow was not very good 3/4 of the season and mays, well no way he should’ve started. Archie would drive the lane with tunnel vision and never pass. Our pg and sg just passed the ball around the top of the key. They had zero playmaking ability. So no one was ever open. That’s the truth of the situation. We had no one that created shots for anyone else. I’m not bashing the three kids, it just is what it was. Next year Poythress will be way better and Wiltjer will be a nightmare because he will be wide open all of the time. Everyone knows when he is wide open you should just count it. This is a going to be a special team and everyone knows it. Even wiggins knows it. That’s why he will be a part of it and be the icing on the cake.

22. Mc
    12:57 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

I agree #21. I’ve said the same thing. Although I’m not sure if Wiltjer will be a nightmare. Yes he’ll get more open looks though. I just hope he brings something similar to last season. I guess the good news is he’ll have a little more help on defense. Maybe they can hide him better we’ll see. Cal will have his work cut out for him making rotations in the front-court. Maybe Randle plays a little SF at times? Maybe Wiggins plays the 2 if he comes? Or the team just runs and presses trying to destroy teams and keeps throwing fresh bodies at them. Can’t wait.

23. Priorities
    1:16 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

@#18 & @#19 – I understood the header of the post – I didn’t understand why no one else wished Brian Long a happy 21st birthday. In the comments sections I did not understand why you passed on using the apostrophe (it looks like ” ‘ ” twice in the same sentence. And yes, this reply makes as much sense as your question. Anyway, I hope we are on the same page in wishing Brian Long a happy birthday and a good day tomorrow. Go UK!

24. Fake Ryan Lemond
    1:33 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

Matt, I was wondering if you could talk about who will be on the team next year. I have heard it approximately 75 times but I can’t seem to get a grasp on the said subject matter.

25. Crump Seed
    1:50 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

Happy 21st BLong!! @19 still LOL! Go Cats!!

26. SeaCat
    2:03 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

Outstanding tumescent post Tyler!!

27. Viren
    2:31 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

All of these guys are GQ worthy– Just think in few months they will be rocking Kentucky blue and white.

28. Tties
    3:07 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

Who is Brian long and why is he wearing a Kentucky jersey

29. Ridg Runner
    3:24 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

Again, a honest and good summary write up for the day Ms T. Brian, hope ya had seconds on the b-day cake. I agree with te prevouscomments about the ownership being stated by the incoming players already alog with passing long some high praise for the “will to win”.

30. Ridge Runner
    3:27 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

ummm…let me try and type this accurately, -sorry for the 29 comment as it was obviously infecte with a UL-virus.

Again, a honest and good summary write up for the day Ms T. Brian, hope ya had seconds on the b-day cake. I agree with tHe prevoIus comments about the ownership being stated by the incoming players already -aloNg with passing long some high praise for the “will to win”.

31. Ridge Runner
    3:46 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

Oh &… I have to give a shout out to “John Wall in the zone” -yet again. Nearly a triple-double in a win over da Bulls.

32. rockatao
    5:35 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

It’s hard to grasp. I know, but the dirty Cards have a legitimate shot at bringing home two NCs next weekend

33. Catlanta
    6:11 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

32) It is crazy what the cardinals have done in this past year. I give them and Jurich props.

34. RealCatsFan
    7:11 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

33, yes it’s like some kind of bizarro world where everything U of L does turns to gold. Even the Kevin Ware stuff is all over the national news, and it’s making UL the national darlings. Surely Jurich sold his soul to the devil for all of this good fortune! I’m waiting for Pitino to morph into a version of Al Pacino from “Devil’s Advocate” any day now. 🙂

It’s all pretty hard to take living here in duh ville. Can’t wait for this year to be over and next season to begin!

35. UKIT
    7:31 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

So, if you guys don’t like the comments about Poythress – please explain exactly what was wrong with him. Because it is pretty obvious, at times, the dude completely disappeared on the court. He was a McDonald’s All American – but most of the time he looked like a guy that worked at Wendy’s (yes, I know). I love every kid that puts on the Kentucky uniform, but just like my own son, I will not make excuses for them when they absolutely do not show up for games. Hell, the UK staff even strapped a heart monitor on Alex – what exactly do you think they were looking for?

36. Kevin Cooke
    7:48 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

37. marlon wayans
    7:51 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

the one with the mo hawk looks like me

38. Don
    8:03 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins~

…” it’s going to be an amazing feeling to know that they have our back every day.”

It’s going to be? our back? I’m liking the tells on this answer!

39. VOTE
    8:13 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

We need a new Tolly Ho post, we are down almost 400 votes and voting ends at 3 PM today. I think all the other schools accusing us of cheating have united against us.

40. Hello...
    8:16 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

39 – You know that was Randle’s quote, right?

41. CATS
    8:18 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

39, UMMMMM, Randle said that

42. ajh
    8:33 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

12 – Willis is kinda irrelevant on next years team. no offense

43. Jenny Craig Pitino
    8:34 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

I think that UK is undefeated in games that Brian Long has played in, and they usually win by a large margin. So, should he play more?

44. Al's IndiCats
    8:43 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

Wow after reading that little expose’ Emmert, looks like Old Marky Mark is quite the snake oil salesman , kinda looks like the Fox/Henhouse thing right now!

45. tiredofyou
    9:03 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

Dang, stop with the tollyho stuff already. We don’t all live in Lex. Never heard of this place and now I never want to again…

46. Fanbase Karma
    9:37 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

Let me tell you why Louisville is having success, they need it. While we got a championship and enjoyed it with our group of friends, hardly did we unite our fanbase..I mean look at the stupid petty squabbles on this blog that take place. Louisville fans are taking interest and concern with all of each others experience in the last few weeks and the next one included. Make me a villian and call me a troll, but we could take a lesson and stop fighting amongst ourselves cause we don’t like how somebody says something or we are just so insecure we can only react OUR way, bunch of cucks

47. th
    9:58 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

tolly ho is the sh*t F you dude

48. Haha
    10:04 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

@9 The Unicorn is actually a pretty good nickname lol I like it…he can be this year’s appearance themed nickname

49. J A Brooks
    10:07 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

Welcome back to the BBN Alex. As a reward the first thing Tyler Thompson is going to say about you is how bad of a work ethic you have.

Sure you had better stats your freshman season than 95% of the freshman who’ve ever played at UK, but you weren’t a top 10 pick nor did you lead us to the title so you clearly have a very very poor work ethic.

Don’t say that Tyler Thompson really doesn’t know that much about you. That’s insane. Your struggles probably had nothing to do with you being a freshman, playing under a ton of pressure, or playing without a high level point guard. It all had to do with your poor work ethic.

50. J A Brooks
    10:11 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

48) you beat me to it… who the hell writes that when a guy announces he’s returning

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      10:17 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

Did you all not read the rest of that paragraph where I said that I’m excited to see the player Alex becomes? Throughout the season, Cal said one of Alex’s problems was a lack of consistent effort. Heck, even Alex admitted by the end of the season he didn’t give his all at times. His decision to comes back shows he’s committed to putting in the hard work to be a better player.

51. Teachable Mo'
    10:49 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

I love Marcus Lee’s little pup tent hair cut. And, though it’s too soon to say, Lee may be the funniest UK player since Jamal Magloire. “Being super hated is pretty exciting for me.” I didn’t hear him say that, but it sounds like someone with a droll take on things.

52. Ateoff Rupp
    11:28 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

Happy birthday Brian . Now lets sign Hawkins before its too late .