Bret Bielema is Arkansas’ new coach

According to Yahoo! Sports and about a million people on Twitter, Bret Bielema has been hired as Arkansas’ new head coach. Bielema, who coached Wisconsin to three straight Rose Bowls, hadn’t even been mentioned for the Arkansas job until now. He will be introduced as the Razorbacks’ new head coach on Wednesday.

Go ahead and get Charlie Strong, Tennessee. You know you want to.

36 Comments for Bret Bielema is Arkansas’ new coach

1. STOOOOOOOPs
    3:17 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

2. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    3:18 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

What a goober!

3. Otis from Eminence
    3:19 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

A complete whiff. His upper MW recruiting ties will be useless in SEC West.

B2 will be a MAC coach in 2016.

4. yardman
    3:20 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Welcome to a real football conference Bret..

5. Welcome
    3:22 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Big, slow white guys aren’t gonna cut it here, Bret. Keep that resume updated.

6. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    3:23 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

#5 – Ever heard of JJ Watt?

7. Welcome
    3:26 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

#6 – He’s not slow….just big and white.

8. BB
    3:27 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Early reports that Malzahn will be named Auburn’s coach. Arkansas, Auburn….come on Dirty Vols, make your move.

9. Peter Goyzina
    3:28 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

JJ Watt is no Konrad Zagzebski.

10. BB
    3:29 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

The SEC coaching ranks are STACKED

11. tltaworl
    3:32 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

When did Barry Alvarez quit?

12. Ed has Tickets
    3:32 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Good hire, his teams can play smashmouth football with anybody.

13. dave
    3:33 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

auburn – either smart or malzahn
    UT – either fedora or strong
    get em cayts

14. catcrawler
    3:33 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Decent hire actually, but I’m happier with Stoops.

15. Charlie Strong
    3:34 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Florida scares me. I sure don’t want to take the coaching job at Tennessee and have to play them every year. I would rather play Temple and soon to be rival – Wake Forest!

16. Arkansas
    3:37 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

We will run this Yankee out with pitchforks in hand if we’re not winning the West in 3 years. He ain’t one of us.

17. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    3:42 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

I can’t wait for hog-nosed girl to put out her new music video for this.

18. Confused
    3:42 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

How do you celebrate a Big 10 Championship?? Take a job at Arkansas!

19. Smed O'Reilly
    3:44 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

This individual is the largest beneficiary of Penn State’s living death penalty and THE Ohio State University’s well played decision to play in the Gator Bowl last year and not the Rose Bowl this year.

I doubt this jablome gets an interview if Wisconsin is playing in Gator Bowl this year.

This dude just parlayed some grey mayonnaise into some serious coin.

Interesting choice by the Walton family.

20. Idiot
    3:44 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Tubby tubby tubby tubby tubby

21. tltaworl
    3:47 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Auburn hires Malzahn

22. el cid
    3:48 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Is it me or is the pendulum in the SEC swinging a bit too far to smashmouth football? Me thinks its time to run in the other direction as all the rats are crowded in the same area of the coal mine.

23. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    3:52 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

#22 – 6 straight national championships and the 7th coming, tend to disagree with you there

24. Joe
    3:54 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Couple of questions for the h8ters here. Remember that guy Petrino? You know the guy that no one could prosper without, yeah him, the guy that was going to go to Auburn or Arkansas, where is he now? I mean in the SEC. Does this mean he’s NOT the Salvation and Second Coming? Because I remember a whole lotta folkz hereabouts ‘splain’n how we HAD to get him, or we were doomed.

Second question, remember all the procedural complaints, takin’ too long, it’s too secretive and the like….has UT’s, Arkansas, or Auburn’s search been any quicker or more open? Don’t think so.

So why don’t all the Mitch H8ters just own up to the fact that UK didn’t do a bad job in either the manner or the substance of their coaching search? I know, too much to ask. Mitch is still an idiot and now it will have been Tim Couch, not Mitch. Just like it was Mike Pratt and not Mitch.

25. Gus
    3:57 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Gus Malzahn to Auburn now, Tennessee better act!

26. UK 77
    3:59 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

# 24 Black Kettle Not much fruit there , sow some seed.

27. sammydog
    4:15 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Vols site says Gundy and NC coach being interviewed. Didn’t sound so positive on Strong. Cards may have dodged a bullet.

28. Dick Gosinia
    4:23 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Joe – I have to agee with everything you said. But all this makes me glad Mitch pulled the trigger when he did to fire Joker (or did Tim Couch really fire Joker). My guess is Coach Stoops would likely be on someone else’s list by now. with each passing hour/day, I am liking our coach more and more!

29. Joe
    4:27 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

28. I don’t disagree. Had we waited the fans would have just been even MORE frustrated and we might not have gotten Stoops. The timing was good.

30. The Real Ray J
    4:29 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Looks like CS will be OUT at UofL, apparently after yesterday’s presser where Strong would not answer if he was coming back next season, AD Jurich told Strong…”I just spoke to your successor on the phone and [he] can be here by Monday. Pack your [stuff] and get out if you don’t want to be here.” We’ll see…and I’ve hear it could be Petrino 2.0, still has family in the area?

31. Auburn Fails Again
    4:30 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Wow horrible hire by Auburn. The only thing that made that team special was a mountain of a defensive lineman and a stolen laptop.

32. Keith Stone
    4:30 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

If I were Ol Charlie, I’d be headin to Knoxville as fast as I could. Louisville is a cesspool of a run down industrial city. There is nothing more he can do there, even though they are moving to the ACC. That ain’t no football conference! The SEC is where it’s at and I can’t wait for Stoops and company to get the coaching staff on board and get this ball rollin. #ROLLBBN

33. Uncle Buck
    4:32 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

@#24 Lets not forget Mitch hired Billy Clyde while Cal was waiting for the phone call the first time, nor that he hired Joker. He deserves some credit but he deserves criticism also.

34. clancykat
    6:22 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Please don’t link Pat Forde column without identifying it. Don’t like to give him any business.

35. fatkidineastky
    8:02 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

They were selling B1G Championship tix for 20 Bucks and last year had to have “fillers” @ Championship game…..so welcome and bring ur biig boy britches….This SEC shhizz ain’t for the faint of heart

36. Charlie
    10:55 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

LOSERS alwways want WINNERS to move on so the bleeding will stop.