Breaking Bad‘s Thursday News and Views

Here is a heads up to all of you poor souls out there who don’t watch Breaking Bad…

You have 147 days to catch up. That’s 54 episodes, so you better get going.

AMC announced on Wednesday that the greatest television show not named The Sopranos will return for its final run on Sunday, August 11. The final eight episodes of the two-part fifth and final season will air on Sunday nights this fall before the series finale on September 13, also known as a day I’m not looking forward to. Like everyone else who’s seen the show, I can’t imagine ever having to say goodbye to Walter White and Jesse Pinkman for good. I wish the show could last forever, but questions need to be answered and a certain DEA agent can’t remain in the dark much longer.

How will it all play out? Only time will tell, but the most suspenseful show on television promises to pull us to the edge of our seats and back before going off the air. The show’s star, Bryan Cranston, said it’s full of twists and turns, a lot of cliffhangers, and we won’t want to miss these final episodes. “It’s a roller coaster ride to hell,” he called it.

You can play catch up on Netflix — the first four seasons are available — or do whatever it takes to get your hands on the DVDs. I don’t care how you do it, just do it. You won’t regret it.

Heisenberg.

Kentucky basketball bid adieu to one of its favorite staffers on Wednesday when it was announced that Rod Strickland is leaving Lexington for his alma mater. Strickland accepted an assistant coaching job under Oliver Purnell at DePaul, where he was a two-time All-American point guard in the late 80s. Strickland had been a special assistant to John Calipari at UK after one year as an actual assistant coach. It was this time last year when it was rumored that Strickland would leave to work under Larry Brown at SMU, but he decided to stick around Lexington for a fourth season instead. Now, he’s moving on and we wish him the best in his new role at DePaul.

I guess this is the last time I can quote Raekwon on Wu-Tang Clan’s “Triumph”…

“Guaranteed, made ’em jump like Rod Strickland”

Let me guess, you want to talk about Andrew Wiggins. Well, let’s talk about Andrew Wiggins. The best high school basketball player since [Insert The Best Basketball Player Ever] is still scheduled to meet with Roy Williams, Bill Self and Leonard Hamilton next week, nothing changed on Wednesday. You can read into that however you’d like, but I still see it is as a positive for Kentucky. Calipari has done all he needs to do — the visit on March 28 was to answer any final questions — and everyone else appears to be scrambling to make one final impression. Does that mean he’ll pick Kentucky? Of course not. But I’ve heard the staff likes their current position and the visits from the competing schools next week, while UK stays back, appear to be a last ditch effort. Expect a decision to come not long after Wiggins talks to Leonard Hamilton and Florida State on Wednesday. Come on down?

Joe Lunardi released his first Bracketology for the 2014 NCAA Tournament. Kentucky is a one-seed, Lunardi needs a hobby.

With Marcus Smart’s surprise announcement to return to Oklahoma State, NBA draft gurus spent a lot of time Wednesday updating their big boards and mock drafts. That meant some movement for one Archie Goodwin. Just one day after falling out of Chad Ford’s Top 30, Archie moved back up two spots to No. 29 on the ESPN big board. Over at DraftExpress.com, he’s the 18th-rate prospect and projected to 17th overall. Archie’s worst position is on NBADraft.net, where the website has him going in the second round, 37th overall, to the Washington Wizards.

While Archie’s spot varies depending on who you ask, Nerlens Noel is sitting comfortably in the top two with Ben McLemore. ESPN.com and DraftExpress.com believe Nerlens Noel will go first overall to the Charlotte Bobcats with NBADraft.net predicting he’ll slip to the Orlando Magic at No. 2. If he does end up at Charlotte, he’ll team up with Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, and depending on how long it takes him to get out on the court, Charlotte could end up with the No. 1 overall pick again in 2014. Because they’re still not going to be very good. Could we see a Wiggins-MKG-Nerlens trio in Charlotte in the 2014-15 season??? I’m reserving my season tickets now, just in case.

So what went into Nerlens Noel’s decision to turn pro? He told Matt on Wednesday’s radio show, “It was a really tough decision leaving Big Blue Nation. I talked it over with my family and we felt the injury wasn’t that significant to the decision. I’m well ahead of schedule with my physical therapy so I felt I made the best decision for me and my future.” Noel added that he’s recovering well, feeling better everyday, they’re really pushing him hard in physical therapy, and he’s developed a mindset that he’ll come back stronger.

You can listen to Noel’s entire interview with KSR here.

Noel also made an appearance on The Dan Patrick Show prior to taking the KSR radio stage. He told Patrick a lot of the same things he said on KSR, but spoke a little bit about the Boston Celtics and his favorite player, Kevin Garnett. Noel said he can’t wait to face Kevin Garnett in the NBA and he joked with DP about a hypothetical scenario of playing in Boston as a member of the Knicks. “There would be a lot of animosity,” he said.

Wednesday was Nerlens Noel’s radio tour; Thursday kicks off the Nerlens Noel autograph tour across Kentucky. Here are the dates and times for the next four days:

Thursday, April 18
Pikeville, Hillbilly Days: 12:00 – 2:00 p.m.
Whitesburg, Mountain Comprehensive Health: 5:30 p.m.
Hazard, Childers Oil Double Kwik: 8:00 p.m.

Friday, April 19
“School Is Cool” tour in Whitesburg
Pikeville, Hillbilly Days: 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.

Saturday, April 20
Pikeville, Hillbilly Days: 11:00 – 1:00 p.m.
Lexington, Lex Sports Cards: 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.

Sunday, April 21
Elizabethtown, Towne Mall: 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.
Louisville, Cardboard Heroes: 4:00 – 6:00 p.m.

Thursday will also be another big day for Kentucky Sports Radio radio when Huntington Prep head coach Rob Fulford joins the crew to, hopefully, give a little insight into the Andrew Wiggins recruitment. Fulford is the fourth guest this week for KSR, which has to be a record. Tune in at 10:00 a.m.

That’ll do it for tonight.

I’ll leave you with a video of the National Anthem at the Boston Bruins game…

Article written by Drew Franklin

44 Comments for Breaking Bad‘s Thursday News and Views

1. WireFIre
    11:06 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Drew,

While The Sopranos is a wonderful show, and Breaking Bad is entertaining, I am going to assume that you have never had the pleasure of watching The Wire which is the greatest show in the history of television. Neither of those shows hold a candle to one of the greatest pieces of art ever created.

2. natural macaroni
    11:09 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Well done NerNer!

3. Drew Franklin
    11:18 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

1. — It’s right up there with The Sopranos and Breaking Bad. It’s pretty much a three-way tie for my favorite TV show.

4. GrumpyOldDude
    11:20 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Sigh, another UK tour that avoids NKY, shocker.

5. Sal
    11:22 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Top two shows of all time. I think I lose weight watching each episode of BB because of the stress it causes me.

6. adrian
    11:30 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

good to see Nerlens will be in class Thursday and Friday….

7. RUPPS_rhetoric
    11:34 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Absolute chills watching and listening to the National Anthem in Boston… WOW!!!

8. HillbillyInBC
    11:34 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Great panel interview by Conan O’Brien with several of the Breaking Bad principals at the link below. Spoilers abound, up to and including the final cliffhanger from last summer, so I’d recommend skipping it if you’re still catching up.

9. HomeofBravefree
    11:36 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Chills in Boston, hell ya Meric!

10. Austin
    11:38 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Playing Wichita State in the second round??? This just proves the media hates UK. They would love to see us get “Shocked” like the Zags did this year. This is not right! haha

11. Buckets
    12:09 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Drew recommended Breaking Bad a few times on KSR the last several years and I started watching it. It is the best show on TV.

12. Don't you do it
    12:11 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Don’t you dare sleep on Homeland or Sons of Anarchy Drew Franklin, don’t you do it!!!

13. Buckets
    12:15 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

12 – And you are a butt plug and a troll. I’d rather be a rich drunk than a punk troll/butt plug.

14. Rae
    12:19 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

10. Or Lunardi thinks we get Wiggins.

6. Once you hit the end of the semester, each individual class doesn’t matter as much, as long as you are prepared for the final. This holds especially true for freshman classes. I did a lot of skipping during nice weather, and terrible weather now that I think about it. I graduated UK just fine.

15. Rae
    12:20 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

15. Aren’t you allowed to make fun of yourself? The festival is in Pikeville.

16. bigredbleedsblue
    12:36 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

UK Freshman, I get that you are not a Cal fan, but those comments are highly inappropriate. I recommend stepping away from the computer for a while and gain a little perspective.

17. blueblue
    1:37 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

So, is this interview with Rob Fulford going to be a phone interview or will he be in Lexington tomorrow?

18. UL Dropout
    2:03 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

#25 if only John Wayne Gacy would kill you and your entire family this world would be a better place.

19. rj
    3:47 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

the interview will be matt asking a dozen or so questions with fulford giving a dozen or so answers that will tell us absolutely nothing about were wiggins is going leaving everyone pissed off.

20. TrueBLEW
    4:37 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

IM TIRED OF ANDREW WIGGINS. seriously say something else darn it

21. twnky
    6:27 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Breaking Bad is by far the best show on tv, and its not even close. Watching walt transform into what he has become is the best part of the show. If you havent seen the show your missing out.

22. TorpedoVegas
    6:50 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

25) Pitino: I love Italian food. I love sex with skanks. Let’s combine the two and have an
    abortion! YEAH!!

23. Say it Ain't So
    7:05 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Just posting what I have been told, but a UNC insider site claims Wiggins will announce for UNC on Tuesday.

24. Karl Towns
    7:13 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Andrew talks in his sleep , sounds like he is saying….Cats, Cal, title, big blue… shock the world!

25. SexnNursinHomes
    7:14 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

32- Won’t happen.

26. markky
    7:33 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

LET ME TELL YOU WHAT’S UP!!! ROD IS GONE AND FULFORD IS COMING TO UK AS AN ASSISTANT AND WIGGINS IS ON BOARD… LOL.

27. Who Knows?
    7:44 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Perhaps this is true #32, but I would look at these “Insider” sites with some degree of skepticism.

28. Porcino's
    8:10 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Breaking Bad is not just a television show. It’s an EXPERIENCE. The fourth season could be the single greatest season of any show, ever.

29. Azubuike's Bicep
    8:11 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Damn, how many comments have been deleted on this post?

30. SexnNursinHomes
    8:15 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

29- Many. drunken kid toucher UK Freshman came over here to troll from the ul sites. He had probably just finished milking a cow with his mouth and decided he feeling froggy. Good to know KSR always on his mind

31. Michael F. Jox
    8:18 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Breaking Bad is awesome, but I’ll take Boardwalk Empire. And neither one of those holds a candle to the Sopranos, or The Simpsons, which I consider the best show ever made.

32. Matt B
    8:28 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Only kentucky fans would want there best player to go to the draft, cause we care about our players: http://espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=ncb&pollId=3638831

33. RahRah
    8:28 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Why would he be scheduled to meet with Hamilton of fsu on Wednesday if he were announcing for unc Tuesday? I call bs on that one.

My vote is for Dexter, nothing will ever top season 4 of Dexter. Friday Night Lights also top notch tv.

34. HeSaidWhat
    8:34 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Never seen Breaking Brad…I’ll have to check it out and see what the fuss is about. I’ll view with optimism though since Homeland was mentioned in the same breath. I started watching Homeland and that show is beyond terrible, unbelievable, and makes zero sense!

35. UK Freshmen
    8:38 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Rod is still a drunk. Stop taking down my posts just because the truth hurts.

36. Delk for 3
    8:45 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

34 — Watch Breaking Bad for sure. I promise you won’t be disappointed. I started watching it on Netflix a few months ago and I ended up watching every show in like two weeks time. I then watched the first 8 episodes of this last season online. This show is just remarkable at how much you get attached to the characters. As soon as Tuco comes into the show a few episodes in, the viewer is absolutely hooked. That guy was quite possibly the most entertaining character I’ve ever seen on TV. I’ll never forget watching him inhale the blue stuff and also when he said, “Heisenberg says, ‘just calm down.’ I’m calm, I’m calm.”

37. Al's IndiCats
    8:47 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Guys, all of you are off base on the best tv programs, The best special by far was Sponge Bob goes in heat with a cocoanut, and Mr. Ed dies of a self inflicked Hicky…Sheesh!

38. bung
    8:54 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

we need to hire a fast break consultant…

39. Magnum's Mustache
    8:56 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

I will add The Shield to the list of greatest TV shows of all time. It was about cops that walked and crossed the line between good/dirty. It starred a great cast including Micheal Chiklis, Glenn Close, Forest Whitaker, Walton Googins (Boyd Crowder from Justified). Several of the minor charactors from the Shield have also had roles on Breaking Bad. If you have never seen it, the first two seasons are like video crack.

40. RealCatsFan
    9:19 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

35, and Pitino is a skank-chaser, but you don’t see me over on the UL sites trolling about it. Now do what I told you – get off momma’s laptop and clip her toenails for her fat ass, you miserable waste of DNA!

41. UK freshman
    9:34 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Well. my shift from Wendy’s is getting ready to start so I have to go, I cant get a job at McDonalds and they won’t hire anyone from Uvel because we can’t land any of those All Americans You UK fans like

42. DrSayre
    9:38 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Is the finale really on September 13th (which isn’t a Sunday)? I hope so so that it won’t interfere with football much, but according to Wikipedia, the finale will be on September 29th.

43. Say it Ain't So
    10:49 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

#27, I agree to take things from insider sites with a grain of salt, but someone inside the program at UNC had to be telling that guy that for him to post it. I highly doubt its true since he has all the visits set up next week, but someone in the UNC program is revealing something whether its true or not.

44. I Broke Bad
    11:22 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Sundance Channel is showing Breaking Bad starting from season 1. This began a few weeks ago. The episodes air around midnight on Mondays. I DVR’ed them and have watched 8 episodes which have been great.