Bradley Cooper’s Thursday News & Views

bradleycooper
Kyle Tucker, eat your heart out.

I like to think that Thursday’s News and Views honoree Bradley Cooper has something to offer both sexes. To women, well, that’s obvious: he’s hot. In fact, People Magazine voted him “Sexiest Man of the Year,” much to the chagrin of perennial favorite, George Clooney. To men, I imagine Bradley Cooper is a pretty likeable guy. Due in large part to his role as Phil in “The Hangover,” Cooper gives off an cool, easy, and sometimes cruel, confidence that, I hate to say it, make women want him and men want to be him. What’s most fascinating to me about Cooper is what I call the “Really?! Range,” or the wild variety of roles he’s taken on during his career. Case in point: Cooper also played pompous prepster Sack Lodge, Rachel McAdams’ love interest, in “Wedding Crashers,” as well as gay camp counselor Ben in “Wet Hot American Summer” (his first theatrical role). After making the rounds on several TV shows, including “Alias” and “Nip/Tuck,” Cooper took a page from the “Patrick Dempsey School of Acting,” grew his hair out and landed his breakout role in “The Hangover.” Now, Cooper has his choice of blockbuster roles, and is rumored to be in consideration for the role of Lex Luthor in Zack Snyder’s Superman reboot, “Man of Steel.” Oh yeah, he’s also fluent in French (that’s for you, ladies).

Bon anniversaire, Bradley. No more “Hangover” sequels, please.

— Coming off possibly the worst first-half performance of the Calipari era, much of Wednesday was spent picking apart the Cats’ flaws, the most glaring of which may be the play of Marquis Teague. After seeming to put things back together in the second half of the Indiana game, Teague has regressed into his former self, a passive point guard prone to silly errors. I’ll admit, I expected big things from Teague. After watching him in the preseason, I considered him to be one of the most impressive athletes on the floor in terms of speed and explosiveness; he still is, and you can see it in flashes, like his brilliant drive to the basket in the second half against Arkansas-Little Rock. News also came Wednesday afternoon that Teague was not selected as one of the twenty finalists for the Bob Cousy Award, given to the nation’s best point guard each season. Have we, as Kentucky fans, been spoiled by the outstanding play of John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, and Brandon Knight? Yes. Does that mean our criticism of Teague is unfair? Perhaps. Like your best friend with the loser boyfriend, Teague’s play is frustrating because you know he can do better. Yes, I know Brandon Knight has similar struggles last season, and there is no bigger supporter of Teague than I, but the simple fact is, right now, this team moves more smoothly with Doron Lamb or Darius Miller at point guard. If Teague wants to continue leading this team, he needs to evolve with the rest of his fellow freshmen, fast.

— As for the future of the Freedom Hall game, Calipari said that he’ll talk to Mitch Barnhart in the coming weeks to discuss whether or not it’s worthwhile to continue scheduling. Attendance Tuesday night was around 15,000, which is nothing to sneeze at until you consider that if they held the same game at Rupp, it would be a near sell-out. Nutty smell and all, I like the Freedom Hall game because it gives fans without season tickets a better (and more affordable) chance to see the Cats, and is a shorter drive for those living in the Kentuckiana area; however, I can see why a mid-week game against a cupcake is a hard sell. The Indiana neutral site series is a much more appealing option for the Freedom Hall game, but it’s unlikely that the athletic department decides to leave that out of the season ticket package.

— Go Temple.

— In your Boone’s Butcher Shop Injury Update: No news on Michael Kidd-Gilchrist’s pulled chest muscle. MKG saw doctors on Wednesday, but Cal didn’t think it was serious enough to bring out Rob Bromley. Meanwhile, Kyle Macy still thinks he has the runs.

— During Wednesday’s SEC Coaches’ Weekly Teleconference, Cal spoke about the changes his team will have to make headed into SEC play: “It’s going to change for all of us. The toughness of play, the intensity of play, the buildings will be full, the talent level, the coaching, it’s all going to elevate for all of us. I’m anxious to see how my team responds.” After a series of incomplete and lackluster performances, the Cats must ratchet up the intensity; if our non-conference opponents were hungry for an upset, our SEC brethren will be out for blood. If the Cats continue to play the way they have the past few games (uninspired, held up by only Michael Kidd-Gilchrist or Anthony Davis), it is only a matter of time before we give them something to crow about.

— During the teleconference, Cal was asked how he “works” the refs during games. Cal said that he doesn’t try to convince refs to switch their calls (cough, Coach K, cough), but instead encourages them to call the game evenly. Hear that, Tony Green and Teddy Valentine?

— Get your Darrin Horn jokes ready. The South Carolina Cillian Murphys come into Rupp after winning six of their last seven games (the only loss being to then number one Ohio State), and dare I say it, have a bit of swagger. Senior Malik Cooke is the Gamecocks’ leading scorer, averaging 13.1 points per game, and sophomore guard Bruce Ellington continues to build off his All-SEC Freshman Team honors from last season. If the Cats are clicking on all cylinders, the Gamecocks shouldn’t be a threat, but as we’ve seen in the past few games, that’s not always the case. Darrin Horn, in his fourth season as a poor man’s Don Draper South Carolina’s head coach, thinks this is the most talented team Cal’s had at Kentucky, due in large part to Anthony Davis: “Davis is a complete game-changer. A big challenge for anybody who plays them is handling their defensive presence.”

— According to Joe Davis of ScoutsFocus.com, 2012 SF Devonta Pollard will visit Kentucky and Texas this month. Pollard, ranked ninth in the nation by Rivals, is also considering Mississippi State and Alabama. This is big news for the Cats, who many thought were out of contention for Pollard back in November.

— Go Temple.

— Rumors continue to swirl around the Kings and DeMarcus Cousins. After Cousins and Westphal’s falling out earlier this week, Cousins has rejoined the team on the road and the Kings claim they won’t trade him. However, on Wednesday, sources told the NY Daily News that the Nets are interested in trading for Cousins. The Nets are currently without their starting center Brook Lopez and it is unclear when Kris Humphries will recover from his bruised ego sprained shoulder, and even then, well, he’s Kris Humphries, not DeMarcus Cousins. H to the Izzo, D to the Citaay?

— Huzzah to the men’s tennis team, who will enter the spring season ranked seventh in the nation. The team also returns a school-record six nationally-ranked players. Is it really almost tennis season?

That’s it for now. We’ll be back bright and early to deliver news in the most ridiculous manner possible. As always, Matt and the crew will take the air at 10 a.m., hopefully without that chatty lady from “The Bachelor.”

43 Comments for Bradley Cooper’s Thursday News & Views

1. Coal Keeps the Lights On
    11:06 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

I can’t stop looking at the girl in the middle on the pic below from Matt’s post. She wants me.

2. BleedingBlue79
    11:13 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

Tyler, love all your posts, and your tweets, but for the love of God, case IN point.

3. Big Blue Nation
    11:16 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

During Texas game “Pitino doing the best job in the nation this year taking UK to the wire with a depleted, injured squad.”

4. kyfan
    11:19 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

UK can’t flourish with Darius at the point. He can’t handle it as displayed in the UL game. Teague will come around as did BK and JW.

5. Jonah Hex
    11:19 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

Sorry but Hangover III is coming.

6. Tomas
    11:24 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

I think Teague just makes freshmen mistakes. He is playing better that Peyton Siva right now and Siva is a Junior. Teague just has to get confident again and realize he isn’t in high school and can’t rely on his athleticism. I think he may be around for two or three years.

7. John Chaney
    11:32 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

testing

8. Patrick Hughes
    11:32 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

This video needs to be posted sometime, it shows how to be a Louisville fan http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QqxfnXDVpo4

9. STEP OFF!!!
    11:37 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

(1) I saw her first.

10. DudeWithTheSTACHE
    11:45 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

It appears King Rex would like to have a word with you, Ty.

11. Ranger
    11:54 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

I think Teague is going to make a solid four year player. Same for Witjer.

12. tyson
    11:58 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

haha 10 beat me to it, but Tyler, you have Rex Chapman taking issue with you on Twitter. This week’s Tweet Beat should be interesting…

13. Rex chapman
    12:01 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

I do not approve this blog post or blogger

14. random hero
    12:14 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

I wish Rex Chapman was my dad.

15. Rex's mullet
    1:27 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

This sight is going downhill. These new idiots like Tyler need to stick to reporting breaking news as fact and simply link articles. It pisses me off to read ur stupid uneducated opinions on the team. Please just stick to linking to other articles that reflect the opinions of people who actually know anything about basketball. Just out of curiosity, how many KSR writers have actually played organized basketball after the 8th grade? Intramurals and rec league do not count, and neither does Matt sitting the bench at Middlesboro High or wherever he went. The site needs more Beisner, Jones, and Drew Franklin. These new a** clowns need to go. heck, bringing BTI back would be an improvement.

16. Manbearpig
    2:16 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

#15….pot meet kettle

17. cabethy
    3:16 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

1) Bradley Cooper is waaaaay overrated. 2) Duke is also overrated. 3) I like this post, I like this site and I like this blogger.

18. RogerHarden_23
    4:33 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

I’m just hoping Teague will get his head right and start buying into what Cal is telling him. And I think he will. He just needs to give up on what he ‘wants’ and listen to the man who knows how to coach elite PG’s. Otherwise he could be the one who breaks the lineage. That said, I’d take him over any of the Cousy finalists.

19. BravoBigBlue
    5:48 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

Teague is who we thought he was. And that is someone who is not close to being an elite point guard. Very inconsistent. Does not do a lot of things well. He has a lot to learn. The question is, “Does he have the right attitude to learn what he needs to learn?” Time will tell.

Keep the annual game in Louisville but schedule a good team from a major conference. The fans will turn out. It ain’t rocket surgery, Mitch!

20. bluesince66
    6:16 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

Just a random question. As long as Cal is here, which I want as long as he’ll stay, will Darius Miller be the last member of the 1,000 point club ? Rex’s mullet needs to get over it I think Tyler one of the better contributors on here.

21. strange brew
    6:24 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

Read my site, http://louisvillestrangebrew.com. When we talks sports, we actually talk facts. We don’t predict UK winning every game by 45 like Jones and his ass lizards do. Unlike Jones, we don’t sellout for cash, hence all the ads on his site. You won’t see tampoon ads on our site. For a buck, you better believe Jones would allow one.

22. Dave in Kabul
    6:34 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

Who cares if there are adds? I’d think Jones a fool if he didn’t use KSR as a vehicle for financial success. It is possible to do both. Entertain/Inform AND earn.

Only a communist or a stupid f*ck would hold that against someone.

Are you a holdover commie? Is that what Strangebrew means?

AND

Only gay men want to be Bradley Cooper.

23. uk-catfan
    7:06 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

When was Ohio State ever ranked #1? They were #3 when the season started and moved up to #2 when UNC lost to UNLV. Then, in the same week UK lost to IU, a Sullinger-less Ohio State also lost to Kansas. This let Syracuse leap frog them to the #1 ranking and they have held it since. I don’t remember a time this season when Ohio State was #1. Am I wrong?

24. Nassau65
    7:17 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

21. I went there once-your site is crap. if it were good, you wouldn’t have to come here to get viewers. please go away. Loser.

25. Nassau65
    7:22 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

Strange brew definition from Google: what is strange brew? – A weirdo, nutcase or whackjob, someone who isn’t quite all there.

26. nolablue
    7:52 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

Dear Strange Brew– You definitely have got a pair, sir. I will never visit your ridiculous site again, since
    I went to it over a week ago. Talk about riding on someone else’s coat tails!

27. SeasonTickets
    8:01 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

FYI for those that don’t already know this…

Games at Freedom Hall have never been part of the season ticket package.

28. snl1960
    8:07 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

what wil cal do if teague stays, harrow 2 spot or teague 2 spot?Twanny? shabazz?teague has to get better and go.

29. T.J.
    8:16 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

21- What’s a tampoon? Also, “We talks sports.” Aside from the obvious, “talks,” should be “talk.” You are a blog, not a radio show. Therefore you would “blog,” about sports. Probably very badly at that…so….no thank you.

30. Al's IndiCats
    8:20 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

12, you should share whatever you’re smoking. I’ve been reading this site since inception and everyone of the knockoffs are just that…..Knockoffs! Folks get on here to pump their cornbread chests out and claim to have better than everyone. There was maybe a chuckle or two but as a whole there wasn’t any pressing news that wasn’t already reported by KSR an hour before hand. Ms Thompson, You ROCK! There has been several lady bloggers on here and I’ve enjoyed most of them but I enjoyed your insight as well as your humoristic side of the most rediculous way possible.
    Teague will be just fine, we’ve been spoiled with both JW and BK who just may have a higher learning curve that Teague. He will do us proud.

31. Manbearpig
    8:23 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

#21 your site is terrible, If your site was toilet paper I would rather use my hand then wipe with it

32. Nassau65
    8:32 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

Gonna be a good day. Dook lost to Temple last night. A Dook loss is almost as good as a UK win (almost).

33. David Easterling
    8:34 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

Before they decide that the UALR game would be a sellout at Rupp, they should try selling all the tickets as single-game tickets. I think that would give them a truer representation of how poor the attendance is in Louisville. I think they should split the tickets and play the IU game in Louisville. Seems like that would be a win-win-win.

34. wilDCat
    8:36 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

21 – Yeah I just browsed it and it’s pretty awful and ridiculous, but not in the fun way that KSR is. Yes the writing on KSR isn’t always the best, but it’s informative, and opinions, when informed and not derogatory and hateful, generate fruitful discussion and are thought-provoking (it’s why BTI was popular, even if he was hated).

I like Tyler’s post when she does the News & Views, never had a problem with it at all. In fact, I dare say hers are definitely better than Drew’s, though I wouldn’t put anyone above the Beez.

35. Megan
    9:05 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

Bradley Cooper’s nice. I think it’s his easy smile. But Cillian Murphy is to die for! O.M.G. Whenever I see him in anything, I find myself staring at that beautiful face to the point that I don’t care what’s going on in the movie. “Yeah, yeah, car chase, explosion, hey director, put Cillian back on the screen!” Thanks, Tyler, for giving us a little equal time in the pix department.

36. Dave in Kabul
    9:13 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

why does KSR not refresh…..WTF!!!!

37. Kwildcat
    9:23 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

Teague needs the girl in the middle to give him a good talking too……

38. StLouisBBFan
    9:35 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

Well written Ms. Thompson. You should do this everyday! Go Temple!

39. Nassau65
    9:49 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

good post TT!

40. ThePaytonEffect
    10:41 am January 5, 2012 Permalink

OSU was ranked #2 when they barely beat SC. OSU hasn’t been #1 all season.

41. Blipz24
    2:21 pm January 5, 2012 Permalink

“Regressed into his former self?” How microwave society of you. All in a week or two over the holidays? Not sure a few games constitutes a long term history.

42. Freedom Hall
    2:48 pm January 5, 2012 Permalink

As a UK fan living in Louisville, I have to say that the game in freedom hall is only cheaper if you figure in gas money. I went to the game and it was 100$ just to walk in the door. 2-35$ tickets with the 8$ surcharge for each ticket and 8$ too park came to a total of 96$ to watch my team play in a dirty dingy arena against a mediocre (at best) team. If it was a St. Johns, or team of that nature, or even a team from Kentucky, i would be more interested in going, but playing a no name team for that much money is not worth it to me. I would much rather just pay an extra 20$ for gas money to watch my team play at the best arena in college basketball and their home arena!

43. Ginny Holt
    7:00 pm January 5, 2012 Permalink

I agree – it’s not cheaper to go to a game in Louisville. If it was, more people would be there. Ticket prices are becoming way too high, and the average person, at least me anyway, can’t afford to buy tickets if they are ever available. The bluebloods have taken over and the rest of us don’t have a chance.

Any chance of getting rid of Kyle Macy – oooh – he’s intolerable!