Bracket of College Basketball’s Most Hated Players

davislaettnertweet

Kentucky fans, I’m sure, enjoy the fact that Grantland.com created an entire region specifically of Duke players in its bracket of college basketball’s most hated players. The bracket’s regions consist of the most hated players in the 1980’s, 1990’s, 2000’s….and Duke. Who would make a bracket of Kentucky’s biggest “villains” in history? Whether they were just hated players, or helped hand UK some of its toughest losses, we want you to sound off in the comments section below. Who are UK’s biggest villains? Which former opponents, players and coaches, do you “hate” the most?

But first, read the article and check out the bracket over at Grantland.

Now, it’s our turn to select the top “villains” in UK history, but we need your help!

laettnerfordukex-large floridachomp dwade carrND

The first three photos above need no introduction to KSR readers. The fourth, is Notre Dame’s Austin Carr. Although Carr’s Notre Dame team held only a 1-3 record against Kentucky, including a loss in the 1970 NCAA Tournament, he put up some incredible numbers against the Cats in the annual rivalry at Freedom Hall. In his four games against Kentucky, Austin Carr scored 23, 43, 50 and 52 points. His 50 points in Freedom Hall on December 29th, 1970 downed the Cats by a score of 99-92. The win in Carr’s final meeting against Kentucky served as revenge for the NCAA Tournament loss in the previous season, in which Carr scored 52 points but the Irish fell to Kentucky, 109-99, in the NCAA Mideast Regional Semifinals in Columbus, OH.

(h/t bigbluehistory.net)

Now lets let the fun begin. Sound off in the comments section. Who do you hate the most?

Article written by John Wilmhoff

Former beer vendor, college mascot and ESPN editor. This spring, you can also find me blogging about the Reds on blogredmachine.com. Follow me on Twitter: @JohnWilmhoff

71 Comments for Bracket of College Basketball’s Most Hated Players

1. GoCats2
    12:02 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Robert Montgomery Knight-no else comes close on my hated list

2. Tubby Smith's Mustache
    12:05 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

For me, it’s Joakim Noah by a mile. Annoyingly cocky, puts up numbers against the Cats, and cracks my TV screen every time they show a close-up of his face

3. David Morris
    12:07 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Chandler Parsons. Can’t exactly pinpoint why but he looks like he could use a punch in the face every time I look at him. Still feel the same to this day when I watch the Rockets play… Definitely in the top 5 (Laettner & anyone from TN are no-brainers.)

4. FrigFullofBeer
    12:07 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Joe Crispin- Penn St. Miles Simon-Arizona, Terrence Williams-UofL, Tom Crean- IU HeadCoach, Nolan Richardson Head Coach Arkansas, Corliss Williamson- Arkansas, Cody Zeller- IU, Tyler Hansbrough -UNC, Coack K- Duke… Just off top of my head!

5. Marion County
    12:07 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Noah Jokiam is not on my list of hated players. He was a classy kid, after UK beat Florida at Rupp and he spoke with my 10 yr old son at length. I quite liked him after that. Bob Knight, Laettner, Coach K, Duke, IU, Louisville,and anything Tennesee.
    Mainly Knight, Duke and Coach k and Laettner.

6. Dave
    12:08 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Marvin Stone. Can’t trust a Cardinal turncoat.

7. Rob
    12:08 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Anybody else kind of offended that we didn’t have any on there? Though UK players aren’t the most hate-able in general, I figure Antoine certainly deserves mention.

8. Da Cayts
    12:09 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Squeaky F$%&*[email protected] Johnson of 2004 UAB fame

9. hanswolo
    12:10 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Simon and bibby arizona 97

10. BurnerTurner5
    12:12 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

No doubt about it .The ugliest s.o.b. to ever walk onto a basketball court. Joey Kim Noah.

11. Joe
    12:13 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Assuming I can’t pick entire UT teams, how about Ron Slay, Tony Harris, JP Prince, and Brian “Pothead, Not Pervert Catcher” Williams? Also going first on Saul.

12. theWilkman
    12:13 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

I will always hate Wayne Chissom and his lazy headband placement.

13. The GF Poster behind the Goal
    12:17 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Matt Walsh- vowed to shave his head if they lost to Kentucky. Got destroyed. Still rocked the perm.

14. keep calm and bleed blue
    12:21 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Ernie and Bernie from UT! but no one irks me more than Joakim Noah!!!!

15. Kyle
    12:23 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Devan Downey
    Andrew DeClercq

16. Kyle
    12:24 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Kemba Walker

17. twcornuk
    12:24 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

1989 Kansas Team, Crybaby Roy, anything Duke. Billy Packer. Loved it when Sparks screamed in his face.

18. Louis ville
    12:24 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Louisville by far and away! Hate is not a good word though. I want UK to beat UL by 50 every time we play.
    Player/coach I least like, would have to be Bob Knight and that goofy looking Bobby Hurly!

19. Docdad5
    12:24 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Obviously Laettner but prior to him my most hated was Kelly Tripucka from Notre Dame. It has been so long ago that I really can’t remember why I hated him so but that memory is seared on my brain

20. SexnNursinHomes
    12:25 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

I hate Tom Gillis. That bastard owes $4 dollars.

21. ukcatfan36
    12:26 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Carr’s big numbers against the Cats in the NCAA was in March 1970–Issel’s senior year. We lost to JAcksonville in the finals of the regional. Uk didn;t play the Irish in the NCAA during the 70-71 season.

22. the j
    12:29 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

just about anyone from Tennessee.

23. kevin grevey 35
    12:30 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Michael Graham of the Hoyas in ’84..He ruined my wedding nite…that and the fact the ‘Cats couldnt throw it in the ocean the second half of the Final 4 semifinal in Seattle….

24. Devastation INC
    12:33 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

The Crean Smirk, Kemba Walker, Digger, Bobby Knight, Dick V, BB-Q Pearl is working his way up, Doug Gottleib, UF’s goal post.

25. jwhitt787
    12:33 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

FL needs their own bracket too. Noah and Calathis are def top 2 though.

26. tom5673
    12:34 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

PG – Joe Mazzulla (West Virginia ’10)
    SG – Miles Simon (Arizona ’97)
    C – Artis Gilmore (Jacksonville St. ’70)
    SF – A.J. Granger (Michigan St. ’99)
    PF – Christian Laettner (Duke ’92)

27. barn
    12:35 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

it has to be bob “the generally disgusting” knight. one reason in particular is for when he slapped joe b in the back of the head. i wish someone would kidnap his ass and take him back to puerto rico to stand trial and go to jail. then laettner, & wooden for being such a blatant cheat

28. TJ Blue
    12:39 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Noah, Bibby & Simon (Ariz ), and Laettner the Stomper !! LOL @ #6 ” Cardinal turncoat “

29. BurnerTurner5
    12:42 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Mazzulla. That’s a good one. That punk got us in 2010 and damn near did it again in 2011. I’ll never forget the 2011 tournament walking outside at halftime and throwing my cooler full of beer down my friends driveway.

30. Rae
    12:43 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

18. I think I hate UL fans more than UL players. Pitino has a chance of being forgiven if he retires.

31. just saying
    12:43 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

What about Cherokee Park? He was the poor man’s Laetner.

32. I'm better than you cause I have seats at rupp
    12:45 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Most hated ky players- I only have three in order. Jamel Quit jacking threes Martinez , Irving quit hurting our players Thomas , and lob rock I mean Rob lock

33. I believe....
    12:50 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

23) Wasn’t that Michael Jackson, not Michael Graham? Maybe I’m wrong….

34. catlanta
    12:51 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

laettner
    miles simon
    jay williams
    d-wade
    noah
    matt walsh
    teddy dupay
    mike miller
    ben hansborough

35. Hunter Campbell
    12:51 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Pretty sure I already did this….

36. Logical
    12:51 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

The formula for finding a Kentucky villain is simple:
    1) Look at the opposing sideline.
    2) Find the most ugliest and/or most ridiculous looking thing over there.
    3) Watch as it becomes more and more punchable.

Don’t believe it works?

See: Joakim Noah, Tom Crean, Squeaky Johnson, Edgar Sosa, Tennessee headbands, Matt Walsh, Kevin Stallings, Coach K, etc.

It’s very accurate.

37. Big Blue B-Rad
    12:54 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

What, no Kyle Singler in the Duke bracket? What gives? Tell me he doesn’t just look like a preppy kid who would attend Duke.

38. navy cat
    12:56 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Ray Mears Tenn. with Ernie & Bernie, LSU Dale Brown and his show, Indiana and the General, N.D. with Digger and Lousyville anytime!

39. thelestus
    12:58 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

no contest. Joakimberly Noah. a menace for 2 grueling years, racked 2 consecutive SEC and NCAA championships, ugly as sin… oh, and remember when he got pushed down into the UK cheerleaders at rupp and one cheerleader put a pom in his face and he threw back in the girls face… yeah, duchebag. no contest.

40. Bdog 1
    1:00 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

So here is a question. If you polled other schools fans who would they say are UK’s top 10 most hated players?

41. Philly Cheez
    1:00 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Dave Bliss- Georgia
    Besides being a dirty, cheap shot artist his head is not proportionate to his body and seeing him on the recent piece about the ’08 SEC tournament makes me think he has begun modeling for the bobblehead brand.

42. Ed Davender
    1:01 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Before Joakim Florida had another big man to hate in Dwayne Schintzius(R.I.P.)

43. Mattcat68
    1:01 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

First of all how did Jason Williams miss that Duke bracket? Wow! Here’s my list: 80s Patrick Ewing, Kelly Tripucka, Uwe Blab, Charles Barkley, Pervis Ellison, Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins. 90s: Rasheed Wallace, Christian Laettner, Jason Williams (Fla), Miles Simon, Mike Bibby, Teddy Dupay, Calbert Cheaney. 00s: Andrew Bogut, Anthony Roberson, Dwyane Wade, Mo Finley (UAB), Joe Mazzulla (WVU), Shabazz Napier, Reginald Delk, J.J. Reddick, Adam Morrison

44. Larry Orton
    1:02 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

You notice my boy didn’t make the list. It’s ’cause he’s a good kiiiid.

45. Mattcat68
    1:03 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Oops, and Jason Williams, Matt Walsh and Joakim Noah

46. Seriously
    1:04 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

He’s not on of my most hated, but I will never forgive Dwayne Wade for 2003. Never

47. blueblue
    1:10 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Top five list:-) 1. Lattner 2. Miles Simon 3. Dwayne Wade 4. Jokim Noah 5. Crisp brothers (Penn St.)

48. One and Done
    1:12 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

All time it has to be Laettner. But here in the last 2 years it has belonged to Tom Crean. Can not stand the smirk on his face. It would make my year if IU gets beat in the second round!

49. TD
    1:16 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

The UK most hated guys are probably:

Big Cuz, Anthony Davis, John Wall, Antoine Walker, John Calipari, Rick Pitino, and Adolf Rupp.

#36’s formula is awesome, btw.
    Using that, I’d say others probably didn’t like Saul Smith much.

Im going to add Jamal Magliore.
    For always blocking shots after the whistle. That was probably annoying.

50. WatchinginCali
    1:17 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

I reserve most of my hate for players that directly kept UK from winning the national title in years when they had a legitimate shot at it; particularly when they played out of their minds against UK. For me those include: Laettner, M. Simon, DWade, Mazzula, and Squeaky Johnson. I also include coaches RMK, Coach K, and Drama Crean on the list. Lastly, I would like to add Joakim Noah, Rasheed Wallace, and Kevin Young from KU just because they are ugly and I want to punch them in the face.

51. Im better than you cause I have seats at rupp
    1:21 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Ricky Blanton (lsu) his foot was on the line!!!!!!

52. Mattcat68
    1:25 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

#51 Yes! I forgot about Ricky Blanton. Just reading his name brought back all the hate.

53. Dwight the blur
    1:41 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Earnie and Bernie from Tenn
    Batman and Robin from Jacksonville St

54. Blue4ever
    1:58 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

My hate goes way back. Whoever was the scumbag official that called the bogus 5th foul on Dan Issel against Jacksonville in the regional finals.

55. Johnny Canuck
    2:10 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Noah, Laettner, and D. Wade are all respectable picks. Let’s not forget Matt “Walsh Is Gay!” Walsh and Squeaky Johnson. Anyone who saw Walsh play wanted to thumb out his eyeballs, and Squeaky Johnson was a back-breaker. How has no one mentioned the greatest villain in UK basketball history, BILLY CLYDE GILLISPIE?? Just thinking about him makes me want to punch a baby. Have another fifth and drive home, Billy Clyde.

56. OSCAR'S DIAPER
    2:12 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Laettner, Miles Simon, Joakim Noah, Rasheed Wallace, Wayne Chism

Honorable Mention:
    Corliss Williamson, Matt Walsh, Da’Sean Butler, Reginald Delk, Marshall Henderson

57. Travis Ford
    2:15 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Jalen Rose – I was so hot in 1993 but then….

58. Bracket Buster
    2:18 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

In reality do we need to do this again. Hate to be a downer but KSR did a bracket of this a couple years back, it had players and media involved. If I am correct Marc Maggard (funny how this site never mentions him anymore) was almost the winner.

59. blueblooded
    2:25 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Kelly Tripuka Notre Dame, Ricky Blanton LSU, Andrew DeClerq FL, Laettner Duke, Dwayne Schnitzis Fl, Todd Day Arkansas, Tony Harris Tennessee, Matt Walsh FL, Jakim Noah FL. I’m sure I butchered spelling most of their names, but you get the point!

60. blueblooded
    2:30 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

WOW, after looking at Hunter’s list, how did I forget Wojo, Sosa and Garcia!!!

61. 'nough said
    2:36 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Wojo…

62. JackB
    2:40 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

My most hated as a UK fan? Has to more than one game I think – except for Laettner and Miles Simon. I would go with the aforementioned Laettner and Simon, Noah and Walsh and Schintcus (sp? and RIP), Corliss Williamson, Kemba Walker, Marvin Stone, the little guard at South Carolina, Shaq and Chris Jackson, Rasheed Wallace. Sure I’m missing some players due to memory loss. The enemy coaches: Bob Knight, Digger Phelps (from his days at ND – though he has added to it at ESPN), Nolan Richardson, and Dale Brown – and now Crean. Announcers – Billy Packer only one I hated as UK fan – except of course for Knight and Phelps.

Hollywood: The guys that made that friggin’ movie about the ’66 team. Screw them.

One game enemies I guess go to Laettner, D. Wade, someone at UAB, Simon/Bibby, and Graham from ’83 Georgetown.

I am like some others – hard to believe we didn’t merit anyone on the bracket with 3 titles and a couple of final fours during that time frame. As for UK players that could have been in the bracket – Maglore (for the Duke Rack), Cuz for his general attitude, Wall for his dance, Davis for his freakish awesomeness and unibrow, Givens for lighting up Duke, A. Walker for his shimmy or Padgett because white guys seem to be disproportionately represented in the enemies bracket.

63. Hello
    3:09 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Rashad mccants…. Terrance Williams….

64. RealCatsFan
    3:14 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

I can remember turning on the TV back in 07, and the UF men’s team was playing, and for about ten seconds I thought it was the women’s team because the camera was focused on Noah running around out there. I hated him because he looked like a girly-man, but I had to respect his game. I’m sure there have been plenty of UK players who would make the list for other fan bases – most probably Cuz would be on that list, along with players like Chapman, Macy, Maglore, etc., if for no other reason than they were winners for the Cats.

Dwayne Schintzius – now that brings back some memories. Yes he was hateable back then, but you have to give him credit for rocking a most glorious mullet that would make Joe Dirt proud! May he RIP.

65. RealCatsFan
    3:17 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Couldn’t stand Sosa when he played at UL, but don’t hate him as much after he played for Cal’s DR team and had the unfortunate injury.

What about Roger Burkman who used to play for the Cards in the 80’s? I bet there were a lot of Cat fans who used pictures of him for target practice back in the day! 🙂

66. Boro
    3:31 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Saul Smith !!!!

67. Ben
    3:44 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

I always wanted to punch Bobby Hurley in the head.

68. Mick
    4:45 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

I want to say Christian Laettner, but it’s actually the refs from that infamous game that I hate most. They turned a blind eye to his stomping on the chest of Timberlake and there’s no way to convince me that at least one of them didn’t see it. That should have been a technical foul and an automatic ejection from the game, thus insuring our Cats of the win.

69. Daryl Dixon
    5:14 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Ron Slay, Tony Harris, Vandy’s Austrailian version of frosty tips, Samaki Walker, any Hansborough, any hoosier, any dookie, joakim noah, teddy dupey, matt walsh, oh hell, this could go forever.

70. James
    5:50 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Laettner #1 of course. Noah my solid #2 for the arrogance he displayed, especially at Rupp. Have to throw in Teddy Dupay. Ricky Blanton is honorable mention.

71. Keith
    6:34 pm March 12, 2013 Permalink

Does anybody remember Kent Benson? Hated that guy.