Bookie still working on the transition to wide receiver

(UKAthletics.com)

If you’re one of the many UK football fans who are dying to see Bookie Cobbins catch a touchdown pass, and even more excited to read what he’ll tweet that night, it pains me to tell you that you’ll have to wait awhile. I know. It hurts me too.

Joker Phillips said today that they don’t expect Bookie Cobbins to contribute on offense early in the year, although he could work his way into the rotation towards the end of the season. “Bookie aka Flya” is still caught up in the transition from quarterback to wide receiver, and missing half of spring ball only set him back even more.

However, freshman receivers DeMarcus Sweat and A.J. Legree will compete early for playing time with veterans like E.J. Fields, Gene McCaskill and Aaron Boyd.

I hope no one is addin’ extra salt, tryna mess up Bookie’s recipe.

Rashawn will be by shortly with more from today’s practice…

Article written by Drew Franklin

13 Comments for Bookie still working on the transition to wide receiver

1. Dang
    1:49 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

looks like he took that photo after hanging with the Honey Badger!

2. woody's barber
    1:56 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

I had a loserville fan in my shop today tell me we won’t touch the scoreboard. I sure hope our young receivers are ready for a weak secondary. I can’t listen to much more of this crap.

3. Bobbysureflay
    1:58 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

Whatever happen to Boyd? He was a four star

4. Hippie in a helicopter
    2:02 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

Man and I thought I looked high.

5. Honky Kong
    2:03 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

Mug shot

6. asdf
    2:15 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

Are we going to be able to put the Wildcat back in this year or not? It was badly missed last year!

7. sad but true
    2:32 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

For some reason, I have a feeling we’re gonna see Bookie more on ksr this season than on the field (and especially in the end zone).

Why does UK recruit so many high school QBs and turn them into something else? Does any other school do this?

8. asdf
    2:36 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

7. It’s actually VERY common. Most high school teams make their best athlete their QB even if that’s not his natural position in college. MOST high school QB’s who make it to the college level do not end up playing QB. Only a small percentage do, actually.

9. Smith Bay Point
    2:38 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

I have no idea why so many of our football players think they are so cool (Bookie’s pic). Someone mentioned Boyd earlier – I know I’ve seen more pics of him ‘acting cool’ than I’ve heard his name called on the PA system at Commonwealth. Guys, yall play for UK, and you haven’t accomplished ANYTHING.

10. Sad too
    2:45 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

#8 – Maybe a better question is why are UK’s wide receivers almost always ex high school QBs? Sure, the hs QB is usually athletic, but I’d bet most every wide out at the top schools were wide outs in hs. Just wish guys didn’t have to learn a completely new position once they get to campus.

11. bmay
    3:00 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

Ol sayin where I come from, “kid looks blown in the creek.”

12. STEVE!
    3:53 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

Not sure why so many people are high on this guy (no pun intended). Is it just that he is a character? As inept as we were on offense last year, it seems somebody as talented as a lot on this site heis would have seen playing time. Now Joker is saying he “could” work his way into the rotation towards the end of the season.

13. Cokely
    4:07 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

It feels like Aaron Boyd has been on the team for 10 years now and has still yet to see the field