Bookie Cobbins says Kentucky will “put on a show this year”

(Bookie Cobbins’ face literally lit up when he heard the words KSR. We love you too, Bookie)

I’m not sure anyone would equate the words “show time” with Kentucky football over the course of the past few years. But when I asked Bookie Cobbins to give me three reasons why fans should feel excited about this Kentucky football team, he used those exact words. “And the last thing…show time! You know, show time. We’re gonna put on a little show for you all. Everyone needs to understand this isn’t the Kentucky from last year. We’re going to step our game up. This is gonna be the year.”

Show time? Really? I’m not sure I believe it, but Cobbins and a number of the other players on media day seemed to dance around the notion that this year’s team might have the potential for a few more breakout/exciting plays. Even Joker Phillips admitted that big plays were needed in order to succeed in this league. It can’t always be an attempt to slowly chip away at field position. A 20, 30, or 40 yard gain here and there can be the difference in a tightly contested game.

Cobbins, who has become a bit of a favorite here on KSR, had to sit most of the spring due to issues in the classroom. The news came before an off-season in which he figured to gain much needed experience following a move from quarterback to wide receiver. The missed practice time in the spring bothered Cobbins, but hasn’t diminished his excitement and expectations he puts on himself heading into this season. If show time is to be a term more closely associated with Kentucky’s style of play, Cobbins wants to be a part of the spectacle.

“Since I didn’t play that much in the spring, I’m looking forward to practice this week a lot. My route running, top of the routes, catching the ball. There’s a lot of things that you all didn’t get to see in the spring that you’re going to get to see. I’ll be prepared this time.”

I asked Cobbins if he feels like this could potentially be a breakout season for him on the Kentucky football team.

“I hope so. I’m wishing for the best, for myself and team. I’m going to go hard every practice. If I break out, I break out. But I think I’m going to raise a lot of eyebrows this season.”

Bookie Cobbins might be the first person to ever pair UK football with the “show time” label, but I know a lot of Kentucky fans might not mind a little excitement on the field. Cobbins feels confident in his anticipation of the Louisville game in less than a month.

“We treat it like another game, but everyone’s excited for that game. It’s our first game and our big rivalry. It’s like any big game, we’ve gotta prepare for it.” Will we see any signs of “show time,” as Bookie calls it, on September 2nd?

Side note: I think the person most disappointed with the “Twitter ban” on the UK football players had to be Tyler Thompson. Her “Bookie Tweet of the Week” will have to wait until August 15th…

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

12 Comments for Bookie Cobbins says Kentucky will “put on a show this year”

1. putinrichie
    3:55 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

Do your thing Bookie….BBN loves you.

2. jlove
    3:58 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

“Showtime” is a better motto than “rise” or whatever it is this year. Here’s my suggestion. Let Bookie play a snap at every position sometime during the game, and let him play QB full time against UT. They’ll never see it coming.

3. truth
    3:58 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

The guy is an idiot.

4. Hope and Change
    4:08 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

Good try Bookie and ksr. I know what you’re trying to do – its what you have to do. But we don’t have to buy what yall are selling. Joker is killing UK football, there is no nice way to put it. The ONLY way UK ‘puts on a show’ this season is IF Joker quits tomorrow.

5. Get em Bookie!
    4:09 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

Haters are gonna hate, but this is YOUR time. You have 8 games against the best teams in the league – each week is a chance to show what you can do. Go out there, execute, and make your teammates better!

6. Mark Liptak
    4:50 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

I like his optimism but talk is cheap. We’ll see what happens when the games begin.

Mark Liptak

7. Catlogic15
    5:11 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

Bookie is neither a good student nor good player. Stop wasting our time. Even Johnny Short >Bookie.

8. Sorry
    5:25 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

This is the exact same CRAP that UK players and coaches have been feeding us for 100+ years. Unfortunately, they have only been right less than 10% of the time.

Did a “fan” really say we have 8 games to go out and show what we can do against the best competition??? I’ll bet ya there is a better chance we go 0-8 than even 4-4 (which AIN’T great).

Mitch and Board of Directors, do your F’ing JOB!!!

9. 8 sucks
    6:12 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

Suck a d*** no h***

10. Katdaddy
    7:53 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

I agree with you #8 on the 100+ part! You people act like this program just got bad because of joker! This program has sucked for years! And will suck when joker is gone!

11. duh
    8:18 pm August 4, 2012 Permalink

Bookie, the team “put on a show” last year but unfortunately it was so bad no one wanted to watch. But as Joker said over and over and over and over on the show yesterday…if we just believe, we will win.

12. You're right~
    10:37 am August 5, 2012 Permalink

#10 And you are right. I’m sure any coach that the haters think will step in for Joker are watching the fan support, thinking “if this is how they treat one of their own, how am I going to turn it around? NO THANKS”