Boogie the next Derrick Coleman?

cousins-call-me

That’s the claim, from an unnamed Western Conference scout, that Sports Illustrated printed in its most recent edition. Seemingly all season, Cousins has had people questioning his attitude and behavior, and at times he hasn’t done a great job of giving them reason to do otherwise. But already grouping him in with one of the biggest busts of the last 25 years is jumping to a pretty presumptuous conclusion. Still, the scout didn’t seem to mince words when talking about Boogie:

“I don’t think he has the will to play -But he’s lazy. He takes way too many plays off. He needs structure and that staff isn’t giving it to him. He’s got so much potential, but I wouldn’t touch him with a 10-foot pole. Somebody out there is going to pay him someday and once he gets his money, he’s done. He will turn into Derrick Coleman.”

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this is a little ridiculous. After all, Cousins is averaging better numbers than any rookie not named John Wall or blakegriffinjustdunkedonsomeoneagain. It seems that the scout, while labeling Cousins’ a big-time bust, has just gone ahead and formed an opinion without really putting in the time to make it properly informed. You know what we call that? Scouting like a moron. So I think what this tells us, if nothing else, is that this guy will almost certainly turn into the next Matt Millen.

Oh, well. Haters gon’ hate. Go Boogie.

[HT: The Bo]

Article written by Hunter Campbell

I used to write here.

37 Comments for Boogie the next Derrick Coleman?

1. Juice7
    5:05 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Boogie just needs more clock

2. kyeric
    5:09 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

That scout is the Derrick Coleman of scouts. His talent evaluation is just lazy and lacks focus and direction. I predict he will be selling used Hyundais in the next few years.

3. DT in DC
    5:09 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

I will say this about Boogie. He appreciates UK and UK fans. About 100 UK alumni in the DC area went to the Kings/Wizards game last week to cheer on Boogie and JWall. Before the game, we were allowed to go see the teams warm up. JWall acted like we weren’t there, while Boogie waved, smiled and acknowledged us. After the game, we gathered on the court for a photo and out came Boogie who cut up with us until they came to get him for the bus. No sign at all of JWall. Boogie doesn’t forget his school, even if he was only there for a year.

4. HUNTER IS A CLOWN
    5:12 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

THE AUTHOR IS THE DERRICK COLEMEAN OF WRITERS ALONG WITH 2. COLEMAN AVERAGED A DOUBLE-DOUBLE HIS FIRST FIVE YEARS IN THE LEAGUE AND AVERAGED 16.5 AND 9 FOR HIS CAREER. BOOGIE NEEDS AN ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT ALONG WITH TERRENCE JONES.

5. Mike Jones
    5:16 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Don’t think he was referring to him as a bust but more of a team cancer. Coleman was pretty solid numbers wise.

6. Boogie Fan
    5:17 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

I’m glad we had John Wall, he was a lot of fun to watch. But Cuz will forever be one of my all-time favorites. He loved the university and the fans just as much as we loved him. Couldn’t be more proud of the big man.

7. Korean Tacos
    5:18 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

The unnamed scout is the Blazers scout, I know. I think the Oden decision shows this guy doens’t know sh*t about talent or busts.

8. Sawyer
    5:22 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

well f*ck that scout. sour

9. Sawyer
    5:23 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

6 same here

10. Larry Vaught
    5:29 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

He is no Jacob Tamme that’s for sure.

11. BlueToo
    5:33 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

this site has gone completely down the toilet, opening up the thrashing of eloy vargas, thrashing of some poor idiot with a gun, the latest rumor about Boogie and of course the complete hick that is matt jones, no matter how much he is adored by rednecks. Beisner, make it better please.

12. bob
    5:44 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Im getting rather tired of some unknown “experts” running their mouth on Boogie based on his sterotype. They don’t know him.

13. duhville cat
    5:51 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

EXPLETIVE RICK BOZICH and the CJ.

14. manu1433
    5:53 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

4) took the words right out of my mouth…Although I don’t think Boogie needs an attitude adjustment as much as he needs to mature some and realize what he wants in life…I just hope he realizes that he wants to be an All-Star center in the NBA that is devoid of centers not named Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol (U know you’re a center Pau)

15. Cousins Fake Teeth
    5:58 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

or Blakeisntarookieheisinhissecondnbaseason Griffon.

16. SexnNursinHomes
    5:59 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

man, my eyes are redder than a menstrual rag. it’s 5:54. Cousins is a rookie, hell is he even old enough to buy beer? and people are already comparing him to DC? effin’ idiots.

17. Big Blue 66
    6:03 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

I love Boogie, but Coleman was a guy that had the talent to be an all time great and he never reached his potential. I dont find that a crazy stretch that a scout says that about Boogie. I think what hes saying is that Boogie could absolutely dominate the league if he would work hard and work hard on every play. And by the way, people that blog on this site have zero real basketball knowledge, zero, so I would be a little relunctant to call an NBA scout a moron while trying to act like anyone that writes on here has any form of a resume to lend analysis of a players skills, or game analysis.

18. JPS
    6:09 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Got to love unnamed sources. Honestly if the scout really believes it, why not give his name ? If he doesn’t have the guts to give his name about something that is only his opinion and in the end really doesn’t matter, why should anyone give him the time of day ? (other than SI and Rick Bozich as apparently they can’t do any better)

Jon

19. BlueStallion
    6:10 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Gee wizz Cousins is my favorite UK player personality wise in the last,,,,well forever. UnNamed Scout = coward

20. C Pullem
    6:11 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Wait…Derrick Coleman was a bust???? He was and NBA All-Star. He played 14 years and scored 13,000 points and pulled over 7,000 boards. HE AVERAGED 16 points and 9 boards for his CAREER!

Did he live up to his hype? Probably not. But he was FFAAAAAAARRRRR from a bust.

He played for some poor to average teams over his 15 years.

21. C Pullem
    6:16 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Kevin McKale averaged 17 and 7…was he a bust?

22. jp15
    6:19 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

I really like Cousins, but I have to tell you that I watched him last night and he acted like the last place he wanted to be was on a basketball court. Even my 14 year old daughter asked me what was wrong with Cousins? Why isn’t he hustling Dad? Why won’t he run Dad? I could not believe my eyes. I thought he played hard at UK, and I have defended him to anyone that would listen. However, his lack of effort last night was unwatchable.

23. Zeus
    6:19 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Wait until 1) the Kings get two more decent draft picks, so the defense has to try and handle Cousins one-on-one, and 2) he learns to avoid the ticky-tack fouls — he will put up 25 and 15 every night. Imagine a slightly less athletic Dwight Howard, but with offensive moves other than a dunk.

24. Big D
    6:21 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

In Kentucky we love our cousins.

25. Bret
    6:36 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Cousins is not really in Coleman’s league, as a player, yet. People forget that Coleman put up some really solid numbers as a pro. As for the character questions – well, Cousins has brought a lot of that on himself.

26. carolinacat
    6:58 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Ditto #23. I watched the Hawks game and even though he played better than he has most of the season, he didn’t impress me at all with his effort/hustle.

27. tom5673
    7:03 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

would have loved cousins and the other nba all-stars alot more if they would have showed up against west virginia. worst loss in school history. the monkey on our back is getting bigger and bigger. this year would have been a free pass with no pressure at all if they took care of business in syracuse last year. it still makes me sick. don’t get me wrong, it was a fantastic year. but the love affair you all have with players who only stuck around for one year puzzles me.

28. t
    7:18 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Does anyone remember Derrick Favors? Yeah I don’t either.

29. Robbie
    7:20 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

18. you complain that people on this site have “zero” basketball knowledge and yet you not only read the site, you feel compelled to comment. that puzzles me more than 28 is puzzled by my never ending man crushes on last years team…

30. Han
    7:57 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

18) Must be why CBS has hired them before and then hired away the site’s founder.

30) Trying to downplay the success of people who have done much more than you is kind of an Internet staple.

31. Danny Stayvethan
    8:01 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Not sayin I agree totally with the scout, but i’ve watched a few kings games and boogie did play lazy. While i do think boogie is gonna be just fine, it wouldn’t surprise me if he didn’t reach his potential either. Really hard to judge halfway through a players first season.

32. U Kidding Me?
    8:10 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

28 – Oh come on. The loss to W VA was the worst in school history? Maybe if you are 10 years old and your history is 1 season. Do a little studying son. I’ll help get you started…Gardner Webb. VMI. Georgia on Senior day.

33. Danny Stayvethan
    8:11 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

#28 couldn’t agree more with your last sentence.

34. john4uk
    10:34 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

That artic;le was one scouts opinion.Lets see what others have to say,or better yet,let the season play out before getting our tits caught in a ringer.

35. shagari's unflushed turd
    10:47 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

DC also made $91 million playing sometimes All-Star caliber ball during his career. Yeah I hope no one’s life turns out that badly.

36. Al's IndiCats
    8:50 am January 21, 2011 Permalink

I wonder what this scout says about Greg Odem? 82 games in the past 3 seasons is all he’s played. When they don’t say their names, they’re generally too Chickenspit to sign their names on a round of drinks at a bar…..SOUR!

37. tom5673
    7:25 pm January 23, 2011 Permalink

#33-for the record, i’m 37 years old, and i know more about kentucky basketball (good and bad) than most. i don’t want that to sound egotistical, but i challenge you to a contest if you wish. you’re seriously going to compare our gardner webb and vmi losses to losing in the elite eight with one of our most talented teams of all-time? i was almost 10 when we lost to louisville in overtime in knoxville in ’83. i was fightin’ mad with tears in my eyes and went out in my backyard like so many others did when ricky blanton hit the layup to beat us in the elite eight in ’86. i was in college throughout the great 90’s years. and, i lived and died every game through the ups and downs of the tubby smith era. so don’t tell me that i need to study, SON! i’m not your son. i learned from my dad about rupp’s runts, the fiddlin’ five, the fabulous five, etc. you do know who they were right? when you put into context that it has been our longest drought not making a final four in history, and we were absolutely loaded with an inferior duke team waiting for us, i still believe that last year’s loss to wvu was the worst in program history. but, don’t disrespect me and tell me i need to study uk basketball history. that is insulting.