I was searching around the internet last night (after the Bachelor) and came upon a guy who claimed to have taken a basketball coaching course from Bobby Knight when he was at Indiana. He published the list of “Ten Commandments” of College basketball coaching. I found them very interesting and the type of thing that UK could use occasionally:
1. Shot selection. Who shoots? Where, when and how?
– 2. Develop role players. You need a player who can set an offensive screen. You need a rebounder. You need a shooter.
– 3. Everybody rebounds. Everybody.
– 4. Player movement. How hard are you going to play on offense? A team that stands around will not be successful.
– 5. Spacing. Fifteen-to-18 feet between players on offense.
– 6. Be organized on offense. Attack the basket. Very few people can guard the driver.
– 7. Are you scoring inside points?
– 8. Less than 10 turnovers. One turnover equals two shots.
– 9. Offensive rebounds are mandatory.
– 10. How soon in the game did you get to one-and-one?”
The question is of course whether these commandments will be allowed to be posted in elementary schools..