Bob Gain: All Time All SEC

Recognize this guy? You're old.

I’m just a young fellow, so when I hear about the exploits of talented Cats from years past, I’m always up to learning more about them. Today, I stumbled across the name Bob Gain. Gain was the only Kentucky player selected for the All-Time All-SEC team chosen by Big Lead Sports. He was chosen as one of five offensive linemen and it was noted that, in addition to being an Outland Trophy winner, he weighed 230 lbs as a tackle and handled place kicking duties for the 1950 Kentucky team that went 10-1 and beat Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl.

Gain’s UK ties give the Cats a spot on a list composed primarily of players from big name football schools. Alabama had seven players chosen, Georgia had five, Auburn had three and Florida, LSU and Tennessee had two each. That left Mississippi State, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Arkansas and Vanderbilt without any representative chosen. Furthermore, Gain was the oldest player selected for the All-Time All-SEC team, with a number of recent SEC stars making the list, including Tim Tebow, Andre Smith, Eric Berry and A.J. Green.

In addition to his All-Time All-SEC selection, Gain was selected for Sports Illustrated’s list of the greatest college football players by number. They chose Gain as the greatest player to ever wear the number 70.

I’m not old enough to debate any of the selections with any alacrity, but I’d like to hear what you guys think of the list. Is Tebow the best quarterback in SEC history?

Article written by Matthew Hays

17 Comments for Bob Gain: All Time All SEC

1. tom5673
    9:42 pm August 30, 2011 Permalink

Nators.

2. 4and8
    9:44 pm August 30, 2011 Permalink

This guy is better right now than any player on this year’s team.

3. Sexn'stollfield
    9:48 pm August 30, 2011 Permalink

4. bung
    9:51 pm August 30, 2011 Permalink

Kentucky’s only Outland Trophy winner (I think)

5. wordpress
    9:54 pm August 30, 2011 Permalink

stinks

6. ol blue
    10:10 pm August 30, 2011 Permalink

Dermontti Dawson.

‘Nuff said.

7. RadioRon
    10:22 pm August 30, 2011 Permalink

I remember listening to the radio broadcast of the Sugar Bowl game where U.K.defeated Oklahoma and the announcers kept mentioning the name “Bob Gain” tackle after tackle. UK’s greatest lineman playing tackle at 230 lbs…AMAZING !!

8. Spurious
    10:43 pm August 30, 2011 Permalink

I barely remember Gain as a UK player but remember him well from his Cleveland Browns days. He played in Cleveland from the time I was an 8
    year old until I was a junior or senior in college. He richly deserves to be remembered as a great player. It is, of course, debatable as to whether was the best offensive lineman to play at UK, but none of the others won the Outland AND player 13 years in the NFL.

9. Spurious
    10:44 pm August 30, 2011 Permalink

year old until I was a junior or senior in college. He richly deserves to be remembered as a great player. It is, of course, debatable as to whether he was the best offensive lineman to play at UK, but none of the others won the Outland AND player 13 years in the NFL.

10. #fact
    11:05 pm August 30, 2011 Permalink

Yep.

11. Mack
    11:44 pm August 30, 2011 Permalink

An article about Gain with a little background from high school through and after the NFL, a different time. Maybe Matt can get him on the radio show.

12. blitzedanddazed
    11:52 pm August 30, 2011 Permalink

Being a fellow Akronite I always remember Bob Gain for his great careers with the Cats and the Browns.

13. Eugene
    9:17 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

I was a student at UK during Gain’s time there. A great, great player. With Babe Parilli at QB and Bear Bryant coaching it was a special time at UK.

14. Lycanthrope
    9:56 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

alacrity

15. Mike Ranney
    10:18 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Now maybe you’ll understand why i voted him my all time favorite Kentucky player last week. Also he’s the only Wildcat to ever win a major player award (Outland Trophy).

16. Go Deep
    11:33 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

How long did it take you to find alacrity?

17. tej
    11:48 am August 31, 2011 Permalink

Hard to say he was the greatest player ever at UK. He may have been the greatest of his era. But, we have had some other linemen who were really outstanding-e.g., Warren Bryant, Dermonti Dawson; and, we have had some other players who were so outstanding-Joe Federspeil, Art Still, Babe Parilli, Sonny Collins, Couch, etc. They were all great players at UK.