It was a great night in Rupp tonight as our heroes in blue split up into squads and duked it out. Matt is trying to work his way out of the building and back to the casa, but gave me a few notes to pass along until he can get you the full recap tonight.
– The Blue team won the game tonight, 86-81, and even though everyone we would think would be starters were on that squad, Coach Gillispie said afterwards that they were not in fact the starting group. I think we can all take this with a grain of salt.
– After the game, Coach Gillispie was completely enamored with the play of Jodie Meeks and Josh Harrellson, who scored 32 and 16, respectively. He also said that he was very pleased with the play of freshman DeAndre Liggins.
– One of the surprise players of the game was walk-on Mark Krebs, who put in 9 points. Even though he didn’t really come to UK with the expectations of playing a bunch, Gillispie said that Krebs is going to be playing and they’ve told him to be ready to play some minutes.
– Another interesting walk-on related tidbit was the play of Landon Slone. Slone was the only player to switch teams at the half and put in 8 ponts. The biggest point of interest though, is that Gillispie called Slone the toughest kid on the team and said that “he’s going to be a very good player for us before he’s done here”.
– The only player that Gillispie displayed a bit of disappointment in was forward Perry Stevenson. Gillispie said that his play wasn’t up to par and that he thought he might have come in with as a veteran player with the thought that “this is just a scrimmage”. He did say that he is not concerned overall.
– Gillispie thought overall, this was a miuch better performance than he could have imagined and, despite the high score, there are no concerns about defense. He said that “as long as we get 86 and they get 81, I’m ok with it”. He also noted that most of the defensive issues were on the post and transition defense, which are usually the lasst things that good teams grasp.
– Gillispie said that Ramon Harris will play Monday night, but his minutes might be limited.
– Another interesting note from coach was that he said that UK has a bunch of guys can play, but some guys won’t get to unless they compete more. Any guesses as to who he’s talking about?
– My absolute favorite tidbit from Coach was that he expects every big man to be able to shoot threes. He said that “they have to hit 17 and 18 foot jumper so they might as well step back and hit a 3”. What a great line.
– Here is how the scoring worked out;
Well, that’s it for now. Matt will be around later with even more notes, but a good Blue-White game and the football team being bowl eligible means a night out on the town for me. Enjoy the night…