Blake Griffin jumps over car: Count me unimpressed

Blake Griffin will very likely go down as the greatest jumper in the history of the NBA, barring injury.  And that is really saying something for a guy who has played half a season and follows guys like Michael Jordan, Dominique Wilkens, Julius Erving, and Kenny Sky Walker.  But, was anyone else unimpressed by Griffin’s jumping over the car last night?  First of all, the entire hype leading up to the dunk was nearly unwatchable.  The Crenshaw Choir was maybe the worst idea ever created for the all-star weekend.  And as much as I love Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley, what the hell were they doing last night?  Intentionally trying to be the most annoying people on Earth, also called pulling a BTI.

Anyway, the fact that Griffin jumped over the shortest part of the car seemed unimpressive to me. I would be willing to bet there are 25-30 current NBA players who could do what Griffin did last night. Now, if Griffin had jumped over the top of the car, I would have called it the most impressive dunk in history. And with the hype surrounding Griffin before the contest, I was underwhelmed. Personally, I thought Javale McGee had a better set of dunks.

Also, did anyone catch Javale Mcgee’s mother assault Dr. J with her lips?  Or maybe he liked it?

Article written by Bryan the Intern

39 Comments for Blake Griffin jumps over car: Count me unimpressed

1. Dustin Bach
    4:04 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

Yeah right HARDEST DUNK EVER…

2. Seriously?
    4:07 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

How many times have you jumped over the hood of a car? Not to mention dude is 6-10. I’d say that is pretty impressive. BTIfail

3. ruraraga
    4:10 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

i think the dunk with two goals by javale was more impressive and also the dunk that was nearly behind the three point line

4. mattyice57
    4:23 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

i like how BTI is the KSR dunking analyzer…i’m sure he’s more than qualified to hold this position lmao

5. Bryan the Intern
    4:24 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

4) You do realize that 4 out of 5 stories that Deadspin puts on it’s site are just relinked from another site, right? Oh, you don’t know, I see.

Plus, Deadspin’s new format is basically unreadable, so I personally haven’t read that site in weeks.

You act as if Deadspin is the only site in the world that knew there was a slam dunk competition last night.

6. Korean Tacos
    4:26 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

He didn’t jump over the hood. He landed on it. No more impressive than jumping over a person in a chair. McGee’s were more impressive. Also Serge’s longer than Dr J’s and Jordan’s freethrow line dunk was better. He’s 7′

7. The BCG Experience
    4:26 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

@3 I agree. McGee had more creativity while Griffin was just going solely on athletic ability.

Quote of the night from Barkley, regarding Gerald Green: “If he worked on his jump shot he might still be in the league.”

8. cats11
    4:33 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

7) The fact that Serge is 7 ft. tall takes away from the dunk. He basically has to lean in from the free throw line and he’s there

9. Rickpitinoshairplug
    4:35 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

Typical retarded bti post. “greatest jumper ever in the NBA”? Ever heard of spud Webb? Bti=moron

10. kyeric
    4:37 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

Kenny Smith absolutely ruined the contest. He starts off the night commenting how Blake Griffin is not going to use any help or props. Next dunk? He gets help from one of his teammates from behind the backboard, which, by the way, if he completed this on his first try might have gone down as the best dunk in the history of mankind, right next to Jesus’ “Almighty Rimshaka” on King Nebakanezer in the year 28, D.C. (During Christ).

Kenny then goes on to to hype the crowd up by saying that people have jumped over chairs, people and cars before…oops. Yeah, Jet, thanks. Nobody has jumped over a car in a dunk contest before… Thanks for ruining that moment too. Oh no. You are STILL talking. Cars are sometimes obstacles, sometimes they are just a car, blah blah blah…somebody tackle this guy!! Quick distract him! Bring out the choir WITH NO LIVE MICROPHONES. Nice. Now be sure to stay on the dude singing a solo…oh crap, Griffin just dunked and we missed half of it.

Well, at least we still have Cheryl Miller. Beautiful, petite, and talented Cheryl Miller.

11. tony_00_delk
    4:40 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

the whole idea of putting 6′ 10″ and 7′ guys in the dunk contest is dumb anyways… if they really want the contest to be great get Lebron, Dwade, Kobe, Iggy, and the actual big name guys who can really cram in the contest. Nobody cares about Ibaka, derozan, or mcgee.

12. barn
    4:55 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

not only that, but how many people care about the sorry-ass nba.

13. tc11
    4:55 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

“the greatest jumper in the history of the NBA”… that could be one of the dumbest things ever said. wow

14. SexnNursinHomes
    4:59 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

4- haha, I guess I apparently like “deadspin”. gotta love the fact anyone sign under name.

15. SexnNursinHomes
    4:59 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

6- wasn’t me. don’t know who that dude is.

16. a realist
    5:01 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

Demar Darozen had the best “dunk”. I hate how the dunk contest is becoming acts and showmanship that wins it.

17. Seneca
    5:11 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

agreed that the whole “show” was over hyped. I just stared when the choir showed up. It had to be somebody’s thanksgiving or something because the darn thing was one big turkey. Of course, my standards are high. I have a high basketball IQ.

18. doc lolliday
    5:49 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

17. Agreed. His bounce with a one handed catch was ridiculous. And griffins first dunk woulda been good if he did it how he started trying by bringing it up and holding then spinning. Instead it turned into a two handed 360…

19. Horny UK fan!!
    5:58 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

I agree BTI….that dunk wasn’t that special. McGee was robbed…hell Ibaka was robbed too!

20. Marko Milic
    6:01 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

21. roger
    6:29 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

7. He jumped over the hood, swung on the rim and when he swung back he put his feet on the car. Anybody with eyes could see he cleared the whole car. Not saying it was an awesome dunk, but least get things right.

3. No one came close to dunking from the three point line. Get real.

22. fish
    6:39 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

you try to do that then holla back

23. 7mm-08
    6:42 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

I’d have to agree that jumping over the hood of a car and dunking isn’t that great at all. I felt the same way about Dee Brown’s no-look dunk and Dwight Howard’s superman dunk as well. Just a bunch of hype and theatrics with very little substance.

24. kyeric
    6:48 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

James White dunked two-handed from behind the free throw line correct? I would ask Jimmy Dykes but he keeps talking about a nail that I don’t care about.

25. SexnNursinHomes
    6:51 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

I love dudes…their touch, their smell, the way the put me in to submissive positions. BTI, I profess my undying love to you. Please come over tonight and we can snuggle 😉

26. SexnNursinHomes
    7:06 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

26- that’s a little too gay for me to say something like that, but hey, if you’re gonna troll on my name at least make it more believable.

27. greatest leaper in the NBA?
    7:10 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

Griffin the best leaper ever in the NBA? No, BTI. I doubt it. Remember some guys named Jordan, Dr J, and Spud Webb?

28. Bobby Reagan
    8:12 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

BTI, your posts are awful… You need to find a different job/hobby

29. Oliver Simmons
    8:30 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

BTI – go away

30. ibleedblue
    8:32 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

Completely agree. Ric Bucher on ESPN said the NBA has to watch stuff like this, Because the car was prepared for the finals? So they knew Griffin would be in the finals? Goes hand in hand with what I’ve said for years the NBA is fake, except for the former cats and MJ. Also there was a guy that almost played at UK That could dunk like Griffin, his name was Shawn Kemp. He fathered like 30 kids and stole a chain but he could jump out of the gym too.

31. mores
    9:02 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

29, 30 – we’ve tried in vain, he appears here to stay.

32. EW
    10:13 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

Agreed. Take away the “prop” and that’s an average dunk at best.

33. JPhelps
    10:55 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

I heard the dunk over the car was supposed to go off the backboard…

34. bigkyfan10dot2.0
    11:11 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

31- I agree. The NBA wanted Griffin to win, so he did. I personally feel that Javal McGee should have won. I just thinks it’s really fishy how Blakes last dunk, the one voted on by fans, had the most outrageous props I’ve ever seen (isn’t this a dunking contest?). I mean imagine you are a 10 year old little girl up late watching the game while texting your friends about how cute John Wall is and you see that big production from Blake and then McGee comes out and you can hear a pin drop…who would you vote for. My guess is, “I likes the choir shirts”, would be the final factor into the decision. I have always generally assumed that only about 20-30% of sports fans really have any idea of what they are talking about, so it wasn’t surprising to see Blake win 68% of the votes. All I ask is that will some fancy video producer out there please make a video of just the dunk, with all the crap (car, choir, Kenny) removed and then see what you think. Personally I felt it was a 6 even with it and seemed to indicate how desperate and how far the NBA is willing to manipulate situations in order to reach pre-determined outcomes. How is that fair for McGee? It was just embarrasing to watch. The NBA is WAY to image concious and David Stern puts in a lot of effort to control the image, so don’t think for a second the fan vote was just something they happened to plan for that night and for Blakes last dunk with the movie set. And does anyone even believe that was Blakes idea? My guess no. What would have happened if McGee asked to do that (I don’t know if it’s related but I did hear McGee say after to Cherril Miller that someone did his dunk and it threw him off…you never know, maybe they didn’t let him do it)

35. terrencejonesrighthand
    11:33 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

Dunk contest is fake…they always set it up. Just the same as Dwight Howard doing Superman and Nate robinson doing Kryptonite..how did they know they would be in the finals. Igudola was robbed when he was in it. Blake isnt that good of a creativity dunker, he’s a power dunker. The dunk wasnt even that great..yeah he jumped over the hood of a car, but is that better than vince carters 360 windmill..no. The NBA needs to make the dunk contest what it used to be, where it was taken seriously, instead of just rising stars now.

36. terrencejonesrighthand
    11:44 pm February 20, 2011 Permalink

and all the dummies saying the 7 foot dude shouldnt get any props bc he’s 7 foot are idiots..so were all of dwights dunks stupid? I agree its more impressive to see a little man do things, but 7 footers usually dont jump that well

37. Bob
    8:44 am February 21, 2011 Permalink

You’re probably also the guy who sees an artwork and says “my kid could do that.” Sure, lots of people COULD jump over the car, but only one has done so in an NBA dunk contest. Also, he completed the dunk on the first try which is worth lots of points in my book.

As for greatest jumper, way to really think out of the box. The greatest jumper was clearly Spud Webb. No contest.

BTI – Please go back to statistics and leave the opinion pieces to people who can think creatively.

38. 7 and Counting!!!
    9:33 am February 21, 2011 Permalink

I agree that Blake was not the best dunker Saturday night. He was the most hyped and so they gave him the trophy. Wall was not the best player Friday night, Big Cuz was. Cousins was disliked and so they gave the trophy to Wall, with some loser bashing Demarcus in the process!!!

39. uk2k
    12:38 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

He said he could go down as the best leaper in the NBA! Not that he is the greatest leaper in the NBA. I wasn’t impressed with the dunk either. These guys try ridiculous dunks that take them 10 tries to make it….not even that fun to watch.