Billy Gillispie’s Wednesday News and Views

If you came here looking for political news, you came to the wrong place. Tonight’s News and Views are brought to you by Billy Gillispie, who celebrates a birthday on Wednesday.  The former coach of your University of Kentucky Wildcats turns 53 on the fifth anniversary of Kentucky’s home loss to Gardner-Webb in his first season.  It’s a day we’d all like to forget, and, if Gillispie celebrates his birthday every year the way we imagine he does, he forgets a lot of November 7th’s.

I was going to use this space to recount that loss in 2007, one of the worst in the program’s history, but I’m getting pissed off just thinking about it so I’ll just run this YouTube video of Gillispie laughing while discussing his termination.

Happy Birthday, Clyde.  Get your life together.

The news of the day came from Kentucky football practice, where Joker Phillips addressed the media for the first timesince UK announced he won’t return next season. Joker handled the questions with class and dignity, like a true professional, and said he’ll continue to be a part of Big Blue Nation. Joker opened things up by saying, “I came here in 1981 as a freshman from a little small town, Franklin, Kentucky. Everybody knows. I was hoping to have a good career, hoping to be an asset to this place, and I feel like after 20-something-plus years that I have been, regardless of what other people might think.” He later added, “This place turned me into a man the first time. This time all it did was strengthen me as a man. It gave me strength. It made me understand how important character is. My character got challenged a few times. It showed me how important integrity is and my integrity got challenged a few times. It showed me how important loyalty is. With that, I’m very grateful and appreciative.”

Joker also talked about his decision to coach the final two games of the season, saying, “It was hard because I don’t want to be the distraction. I don’t. I don’t. I’ve had my Senior Day, okay? Somebody was saying, ‘Let’s send him…’ I don’t want to be sent out. I don’t want an open casket. I don’t want to be somebody’s centerpiece. I want it to be about those seniors.”

When asked if he expects to coach next season, he said he plans to take some time off, let all the emotions die down, and then he’ll figure it out.

Switching over to basketball, the preseason No. 1 team in the country will be without two of its star freshmen for the first nine games of the season thanks to a secondary NCAA violation. Indiana’s Peter Jurkin and Hanner Mosquera-Perea received expenses from A-HOPE, a nonprofit organization founded by Mark Adams that provides support from athletes from other countries. Adams gave $185 IU Varsity Club between 1986-1992, therefore he is considered an Indiana booster and receiving expenses from boosters is a no-no. It seems like a ridiculous and unfortunate ruling, but with a name like Peter Jurkin, I’m sure he’ll find a way to entertain himself during the nine-game suspension and wipe his hands of this mess.

While Jurkin and Mosquera-Perea were receiving their suspensions Tuesday afternoon, Nerlens Noel and Archie Goodwin were named All-Freshman First Team by Grantland.com.  Here’s what the Bill Simmons website had to say about the Cats:

Archie Goodwin: Kentucky fans are very high on Goodwin after a 22-point performance in the team’s first exhibition, and he’s the odds-on favorite to become the team’s leading scorer. He’s not quite Michael Kidd-Gilchrist caliber, but Arkansas’s reigning Mr. Basketball can slash and hit a pull-up, and he’s athletic and strong and quick enough to become one of the top perimeter defenders in the conference. Top-three contender for Freshman of the Year, easily.

Nerlens Noel: There seems to be a wave of paranoia spreading through Big Blue Nation that Noel will somehow crumble under the pressure of becoming the next Anthony Davis. This seems entirely unrealistic to me; if anything, there’s such a reaction against that mind-set that Noel should have clear psychological sailing in his freshman year. He’s the top recruit in the country for a reason, and as of now there’s no reason to project that he’ll disappoint anyone. He might not be Anthony Davis, but he’s still a defensive genius who will jump-start Kentucky’s offense and nullify a lot of his teammates’ mistakes with his 7-foot-4 wingspan and his excellent shot-blocking ability. And just like Davis, he’ll be reintroducing a revolutionary hairstyle to the culture. Last year, it was the unibrow; this year, it’s the flat-top. So forget the lowered expectations; Calipari’s Young Blue Machine marches on, slashing and burning and winning.

Alex Poythress was named to the second team.

Are you missing a handgun?  If so, there is a chance Jules Camara could have it.  Camara is wanted in Lexington on felony gun charges after he stole a weapon from a friend last month.  The former Wildcat has been quite the criminal since he arrived in Lexington 1998 and he can expect to be sent back to Senegal once he’s apprehended.  It was nice knowin’ ya, Souleymane.

Bad news for some of you Brookyln-bound Cats fans… United Airlines will suspend most service to and from the New York area between noon Wednesday and noon Thursday due to the winter storm. (I fall into this category, unfortunately.)  The forecast is calling for a Nor’easter storm that’ll bring rain, wind, and snow Wednesday night so be ready for more airlines to do the same.  We’ll get there though, somehow, someway.

Here’s everything you need to know about the trip. (via UK Alumni Association)

It’s not a November night post without a UK football head coaching suggestion. Tonight, Tyler Montell, a former KSR scribe, likes the idea of Kentucky hiring Kliff Kingsbury.  He gave three reasons why over at SaturdayDownSouth.com.  If that’s not enough, Larry Vaught reported early Tuesday morning that UK is in preliminary talks with Texas Tech offensive coordinator Neal Brown.  According to Vaught’s sources, he he spoke to via Verizon Droid, UK has contacted Brown’s agent, a Birmingham-based attorney. And if that’s not enough, a guy at Walgreen’s told me Rex Ryan likes the color blue almost as much as he likes feet.

In case you didn’t get enough Dakari Johnson scoop on Monday, here’s how each scouting service ranked him in the class of 2013.

— 12th overall, ESPN Recruiting
— 13th overall, Rivals.com
— 13th overall, 24/7 Sports
— 15th overall, Scout.com

Jason Jordan of USA Today Recruiting believes Johnson would pick Kentucky if he had to decide right now. But it’s look like he’ll wait until the spring to announce his decision. His mother said he’ll hold off until the season is over before taking any visits.

Joe Lunardi released his second Bracketology of the college basketball season on Tuesday. Yes, the same college basketball season that hasn’t even started yet.  Lundari’s NCAA Tournament forecast puts Kentucky as the one-seed in Washington D.C. playing the Texas Southern/Oral Roberts winner in the first round and Minnesota in the second.  Also in the East region: Syracuse, Michigan, Memphis, and San Diego State.  Joe Lunardi has way too much time on his hands.

We’re looking forward to a big morning on Kentucky Sports Radio radio. Coach Cal will join the show in the first hour and then we’ll take a call from Dick Vitale to start the second hour. And, don’t forget, we’ll be live blogging the Hurricane Sandy fundraiser Wednesday night from 7:00-9:00.

UPDATE: Barack Obama is back for a second term. There’s your political update.

Article written by Drew Franklin

77 Comments for Billy Gillispie’s Wednesday News and Views

1. Paul
    11:33 pm November 6, 2012 Permalink

You heard that correctly.. First.

2. Jd
    11:33 pm November 6, 2012 Permalink

That first paragraph made me crack up! GO BIG BLUE!

3. You mad?
    11:36 pm November 6, 2012 Permalink

Go blue in all ways people.

4. Chi-TownCat
    11:38 pm November 6, 2012 Permalink

Except in balls #3

5. Kevin C.
    11:39 pm November 6, 2012 Permalink

“Barack is Back!”….get those silk-screens wet, and start printing the Tees.

6. thetruth
    11:45 pm November 6, 2012 Permalink

Middle class tax increases, here we come.

7. Weep for your Country
    11:51 pm November 6, 2012 Permalink

“You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up
    by pulling the wage payer down.
    You cannot further the brotherhood of man
    by inciting class hatred.
    You cannot build character and courage
    by taking away people’s initiative and independence.
    You cannot help people permanently by doing for them,
    what they could and should do for themselves.”

Abraham Lincoln

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    – Ben Franklin

8. dukesux
    11:58 pm November 6, 2012 Permalink

PREZ “O” WINS RE-ELECTION!!!!……..YAY!!!!

& just like ’08, the vast majority of white supremacists that are reflective of most kentuckians, voted overwhelmingly, butt not surprisingly, for the wrong/white guy….

why talented hoopsters who are of course largely african american continue to flock to the flagship univ of this white supremacist stronghold remains one of the largest mysteries of the 21st century

9. Truth
    12:03 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Unemployment in the black community has doubled under obama. I’m convinced black unemployment could hit 50% and they would still vote for him. Of course, when you get handouts, why not vote for him? Just stay home and get those monthly checks, food stamps and you get a free obama phone.

10. Nerd Fight
    12:03 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

#8 get a life.

#7 got it right.

Hold on to your wallets everyone. Start stashing cash
    in coffee cans so he can’t get his hands on it to
    redistribute. Invest in companies that make the credit cards
    that track food stamps – they will be growing rapidly.

11. Sad Day
    12:06 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

7) Thank You. I honestly needed that. Some people in this country believe its ok to live off our governments handouts. Its crippling. I only pray my generation can withstand and better ourselves from the rocky times i believe we are about to face. Those 2 quotes are very powerful and amazingly true and i hope others can read them and take comfort in our fore fathers words as i just have. God Bless America and God Bless the eventual rebirth of the greatest country this Earth has ever known.

12. AllHopeisLost
    12:07 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

I’m convinced our country is going to hell. The economy is horrid and no one cares. We are turning into Greece. The stock market will eventually crash and unemployment will keep going up. who cares I guess.

13. wow
    12:13 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

#8 are you an IU or UofL fan? Either way, you are a total loser and a complete d-bag.

14. TrailerTrash
    12:16 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

What a pathetic bunch of whiners. Grow a pair and live your life. If you have to make changes to do that, then do it and stop complaining and blaming everyone else. Stagnate and die.

15. I love idiocy...
    12:17 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Which is why I only read the comments when I know a political nerd fight is ripe. Thank you

16. Dear UL and IU fans, We are national champions; you are not. The end.
    12:19 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Doesn’t matter who got elected, this country is headed for a cliff. All empires fall.

17. Weep for your Country
    12:23 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove
    they are insured… but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”
    Now add this, “Many of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are
    citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to
    buy insurance because they are citizens.”

18. msnthrop
    12:29 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

#7 Abe Lincoln never wrote any of that nonsense

19. thedaythecountrydied
    12:31 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

that president is not, and never will be my president. F the poor slugs that rob me of my hard work. Work harder tom, millions of obama voters depend on you. only 5 of those people at his party are missing work.

20. hola senor
    12:33 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

if barack obama was not black he wouldnt have had so many black people turn out this election. The nation is clearly divided according to the electoral college map.

21. HillbillyInBC
    12:35 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

AA cancelled my flight into LGA on Wednesday afternoon as well. Rebooked for Thursday, and I’ve been scrambling to change hotels and such all evening.

22. KurtNMia
    12:36 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

9 weeks without Peter Jurkin!!! The NCAA is so harsh.

23. Weep for your Country
    12:46 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

18. Thanks for the link. Even if Abe didn’t say that, it doesn’t mean it isn’t the truth.
    We’re all Greek socialists now. Let’s eat the rich. They deserve it. It’s their fault we’re poor. They made me make bad grades. Now please excuse me, i’ve got to get up early tomorrow to go get my Obama-phone.

24. mashburnfan1
    1:02 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Lets just skip the season and take this bracket, I like our chances.

25. Owen
    1:17 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Disregarding the election which is whatever and wasn’t even close (glad we, as a country, can get over some of our latent racism.. not)… I will be sad to see Joker leave our program entirely. Yeah, I totally believe he should not be our coach (or OC), but I do believe he is a good man, a good coach on some level and a good recruiter. I’m grateful for his effort even though it didn’t pan out and I wish him the best in everything he does.

26. bcat
    1:21 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Misinformed hate is fun to watch!

27. Fake Ryan Lemond
    1:49 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

My Political Platform: Speaking to the voters: HEY, LISTEN TO ME!! texting the voters: I’ve been thinking about getting your vote, a lot, a whole lot.

After winning the the vote: BRASSOW BRASSOW BRASSOW!

My Concession Speech: I would have won the majority vote but Richie Farmer swiped my voting machine and Sue Wylie’s Fur Coat.

28. Hussein
    1:55 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

93% of African-Americans voted for Obama. Racism goes both ways…

29. Hahaha
    2:05 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Scoreboard crybabies

30. harry
    2:26 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

criminals want smaller police force, republicans want smaller govt. MOVE TO SOMALIA!!!

31. Miss Nomer
    2:31 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

#28 — Al Gore got 90% – I heard a rumor he was black, guess it’s true. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

32. noname
    2:36 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

KSR is happy–sane people are not

33. BarryRules
    2:38 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

19. Move to Iran you whiney UnAmerican biatch.

34. Buckets
    3:08 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

28 – Yet 90 percent of the Republican party’s voters are white. Hmmm

35. the truth.com
    3:12 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

oooooh poor babies…4 more years hahaha

36. capt
    3:54 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Hey guys, did you hear? Barry Soetoro got re-elected.

37. SOCIALISM
    4:18 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Google it before you use it in a sentence, you clowns.

38. Unfortunate Acronym
    5:04 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

If we get Kliff Kingsbury…would it be the new KKK?

Kliff Kingsbury’s Kentucky?

39. Jeff
    6:03 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

I see a trend here. Obama and UK – back to back winners!

40. Cats in the NBA
    6:24 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Fact: 4 More Years. “Gentlemen, start your bitching and moaning!” Losers.

41. Joe
    6:27 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

This is funny. Joker is quoted as saying he thought he could have turned this around if given more time. Really? Do you have to completely hit rock bottom first? He is not a head coach. I started to call for his job after the Vandy game last year, and he got one more year. What did UK get? One more worse year. We could have hired a coach this year and been on the road to a comeback. But Mitch, in all his wisdom, didn’t see things that way. Mitch needs to get his butt back down to Tennessee and let UK have a real AD.

42. Truth
    6:28 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

I voted for Obama in 08 and voted for Romney this year. Obama is horrible for business. It all comes down to handouts. People want to live off the government. That will always be tough for the other side to overcome.

43. Fiscal Cliff
    6:31 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

We are going to go over the fiscal cliff in a month or two and it will be funny. If you are in the stock market, you better think about moving some of it to cash.

44. LegitQuestion
    6:46 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Will the Dems have to put up a black guy in 2016? I know the black vote is always strong toward dems? But a lot of them stay home if an old white guy is running on there side. I ask this because the popular vote is basically tied in this race.

45. LegitQuestion
    6:47 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

* their

46. njCat
    7:04 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

hey 28… its called ‘fighting back’. I think whites voted about 65% for Romney.

Tax rate for the inherited rich and hedgefund sets – 15%. Tax rate for hard working self-employed person making $100K w/ two kids in college – 35% (federal + state + self-employment tax). Whats fair about that? Even Warren Buffet has said its ridiculous. Would raising the rate to 20% really be considered ‘attacking’ the producers? Not to worry… they will still be able to afford their 3rd or 4th vacation home or yacht.

What kills me is seeing poor whites continue to vote against their interests – either because they are racist, or because they believe all the trash they hear on fox on talk radio. Pretty amazing seeing Romney only win the redneck and cowboy states. Get your heads out of the sand folks!

47. RealCatsFan
    7:05 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

#31, we all know deep down that Bill Clinton was actually our first black president.

48. RealCatsFan
    7:07 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

“but with a name like Peter Jurkin, I’m sure he’ll find a way to entertain himself during the nine-game suspension and wipe his hands of this mess.”

Drew, I would expect nothing less from you – thank you for this master piece of prose. And let’s move the political diatribe to a political dork forum and keep the subject on sports, folks. Pleeeaassee.

49. lexslamman
    7:19 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Lots of sour grapes going around right now. The GOP has some real soul searching – it cannot afford to be the party of rich rural white people any more.

50. Hahahaha
    7:26 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Ha! Intelligence wins again. Lots of angry cave dwellers today…

51. WINNER
    7:28 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

BAD day for the KKK!!!!! GOOD day for the 99%!!

52. Dougm68
    7:29 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Did Billy Clyde just say, ” I don’t like to give advice.” ?

I’m so glad he’s gone.
    Barnhart, I hope you fired that firm that suggested you hire this dolt because if you’re using the same firm for the football hire, you should be fired first.

53. MartinLutherKing
    7:29 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

#8 AMEN!!!

54. tuxedo park
    7:32 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

I didn’t know that Obama invented welfare. I always get learned sumpin here on KSR!

55. RealCatsFan
    7:33 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

While watching the Transy game the other night, a graphic showing UK’s all time record in exhibition games flashed up, with IIRC 100+ wins and 4 losses. The announcers said something to the effect of where the heck did those 4 losses come from? Well now we know – BCG brought us one of them. Trivia question – what were the other 3? VCU?

56. HeraldGerald
    7:37 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

36) Do you usually comment on a post without reading it first?

57. tommyboy
    7:49 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Please don’t hire the football version of Billy G! We all got excited… Then we got our buts whipped

58. tommyboy
    7:57 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Giving Obama another 4 years would be like giving Joker another 2

59. Deekinmouth
    8:13 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Blacks are 14% of the country. Obama is also half and half. Your comments about blacks voting to cause his victory is just stupid. It took a lot more than that. It’s like saying Kentucky is filled with a bunch of backward ass dumb hicks. Foolish commentary.

60. RealCatsFan
    8:35 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

I don’t really have a dog in the partisan race – I’m a registered Independent and I vote that way. However, comparisons of Obama to Joker are not really very valid, in my view. Joker inherited a situation that was generally on the upswing, with things being better than they had been in recent memory. He then saw things unravel during his tenure – some due to circumstances beyond his control, and some due to poor decisions by him and his staff. George Bush part II was probably a more accurate analogy to Joker if you wanted to use politics. Obama inherited a situation that was more akin to what Rich Brooks walked into. Not to say that Obama couldn’t have done things better, but that’s what he started out with.

61. DT in DC
    8:38 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

If you’re affected by the United flight deal, see if you can get your flight changed to arrive in DC or Baltimore then take the Amtrak to NYC. Taking the Amtrak to NYC is one of the most relaxing trips you’ll ever take.

62. Tim
    9:04 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

I’m pleased that this comments section isn’t all hurting Republican dullards, and that a lot of people are happy that the Wall Street banker lost despite the best efforts of the south’s white guys.

63. Earache
    9:31 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

9. You do realize Reagan is the one that started the free phones act, right?

64. truthurtzzz
    9:37 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

KY is not a “red” state, butt FAR more accurately, a “white” (supremacist) state, as are ALL states from the southeast (w/Xcepshun of Fla)

65. lexslamman
    9:45 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

It is the end of the Republican Party as we know it, and I feel fine.

66. Big Whoop
    9:52 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

When you college boys can’t find a job because of Obama’s policies, maybe you won’t think so highly of big government. If you think this administration is going to fix the economy, you’re smokin’ too much stuff. Look for new EPA regs against the coal industry before the end of the year. Hope you enjoy your Chevy Volts if they don’t catch on fire.

67. Cave Dweller
    9:55 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

#51: Hi. I’m here. In my cave. Dwelling.

#47: That was clever. I like how you compared on one side a federal income tax only. But on the other side you added in state taxes. Brilliant, you trixter, you! The Romney 15% tax thing is a talking point with no real meaning- if you want to take the carried interest tax rate up to ordinary income rates, do it (I believe it should be done), but after you collect that extra few billion, what will we do about the remaining 1,500 billion? What do you do about the wealthy who invest in state and municipal bonds that have a 0% federal tax rate? The constitution protects this, would you change it?

Obama spent tax payer money to fund a commission, commonly referred to as Simpson-Bowles, and when the results came back differently than anticipated, it was shelved. It was a bi-partisan commission supported by both sides of the aisle and called for lower tax rates and fewer deductions. Since this doesn’t pander to the lowest commone denominator, we apparently can’t consider it. Simpson-Bowles people! Make it happen.

68. Cave Dweller
    10:08 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Tim, truthhurtzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, please put your trailer in park before reading this public service announcement:
    republicans aren’t all ‘white’ or (supremacists) or located in the south. if you look at the electoral map, you’ll find that there are basically four blue states on the west coast along with a group of states in the northeast. All other states, from south, to middle, to north, to west, are red. these states also happen to be red when the democratic candidate is white. this is only a hypothesis, but it’s possible there is a cultural element to the way they vote- guided by ideals and principles valuing hard work and societal responsibility. I personally feel that my success or lackthereof is mostly attributed to my work ethic and ingenuity. I don’t believe the government improves life for the citizens and I prefer it stick to ensuring a level playing field and proiding for a common defense. The government can step in to grease the skids in times of turmoil, but should quickly retreat to the sidelines once market imbalances are corrected.

69. anthonydavisarmpit
    10:22 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

Guess now I get to close up my business and live off the government like all the others. Look on the bright side, I will now be able to watch all the UK games with the extra time I will have.

70. sifromduckdynasty
    10:31 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

I would rather have Joker has a football coach then Billy Gillispie has a basketball coach!
    Just saying!

71. meeksuperfan
    10:50 am November 7, 2012 Permalink

ERIC MANGINI
    ERIC MANGINI
    ERIC MANGINI
    JOSH MCDANIELS
    ERIC MANGINI

72. RealCatsFan
    12:22 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

#68, you do know that the Republican vice-presidential candidate was one of those who voted against it. Also, while it did cut entitlement spending and the corporate tax rate, it also proposed a 15% gasoline tax and the elimination of the home mortgage and health care deductions. Who would this affect the most? You guessed it – middle class America!

73. Cave Dweller
    1:58 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

It didn’t just cut the corporate tax rate… it cut every tax rate. And one scenario restored the mortgage and ‘making work pay’ deductions/credits. Whoever says you can eliminate a $1.5 trillion annual deficit without affecting the 60% in the middle is flat lying (as both candidates did). We need a leader who can tell the American masses that it’s time to take their medicine and that looks like slightly higher taxes and massively lower spending.

As for gasoline tax, I’m all for it. I prefer they announce a $.05 tax increase on gasoline each month into perpetuity. This will create certainty around increased demand for alternatives. The tax should be kept into a trust that only invests in R&D and infrastructure for alternatives. Energy independence here we come.

74. It's over move on
    2:06 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

Their is no African Americans, only Americans. Terms like that separate races. Therefore are racist. I voted for Rommney and he lost. Now I hope Obama can do better the next for years. I’m a American and he is POTUS, so he is my president.

75. RealCatsFan
    2:29 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

CD, you and I agree on a lot of the issues. You are right in saying that there will have to be a fair amount of pain shared by all of us, rich, poor and in the middle, to get us out of this mess. And you are also right that both candidates spend way too much time trying to tell everyone what they want to hear instead of laying it on the line and being truthful. It’s a shame that one of the independent candidates cannot emerge as a viable alternative – heck, with the way the system is currently rigged, they cannot get any air time at all. There are some good ideas being put forth, but no one wants to sacrifice their sacred cow to make anything happen. If a candidate on either side, or in the middle, came forward and was willing to do some of the things you are talking about, and agreed to run for a single term instead of spending so much energy on re-election, he/she would get my vote. Hopefully now that Obama is not going to be worried about running for re-election he will be able to work across the aisle and we can get some progress made – that is, if the other side is receptive to it. It’s called compromise, people, and it is the basis for all politics.