Billy Gillispie once held a 7 hour 15 minute practice

Some more details are coming out about Billy Gillispie’s practice habits at Texas Tech and they’re not good. USA Today has obtained emails from the Texas Tech administration that highlight just how bad things got in Lubbock leading up to Gillispie’s resignation. Among their findings:

— A mother of one of the players wrote a letter to the administration complaining her son was verbally abused by Gillispie at a basketball camp in June
— The school self-reported exceeding the NCAA maximums of four hours practice per day and 20 hours per week. After an investigation, they concluded that Gillispie and his staff exceeded practice time by a total of 6 hours, 10 minutes in the fall semester.
— Included in that were two practices over the weekend of Oct. 29-30, 2011 in which the team practiced for 7 hours, 15 minutes on Saturday and 6 hours, 30 minutes on Sunday.
— How could they have gone three hours over their daily practice limits? Assistant coach Bubba Jennings, responsible for documenting the practice times, said in the school’s report to the NCAA that he simply “didn’t wear a watch.”

Almost fourteen hours of practice over two days? That’s so Gillispie.

28 Comments for Billy Gillispie once held a 7 hour 15 minute practice

1. ukcats!
    12:05 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

“It’s not my fault, why would these people hire me?”

2. Rick
    12:10 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

And his team still sucked last year.

3. Clyde
    12:12 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

Wasn’t my fault you guys. I was blacked out for 5 hours that Saturday and four hours that Sunday so I thought those hours didn’t count.

4. Poop Tooth
    12:15 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

This is unbelievable, the Texas Tech fans running him off after two seasons just because he couldn’t win the national title in only two years. Oh wait nevermind that’s just what we apparently did

5. facts
    12:17 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

#4 is right. In retrospect, we really shouldve given Clyde more time. He’s really gone on to teach us a lesson with his fantastic coaching at TX Tech. Meanwhile, this Calipari experiment has been a complete disaster for us.

6. Dear IU and UL, We are National Champs; you are not. The end.
    12:28 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

Anthony Davis is the 7th hardest working player in the NBA. Rondo 8th.

7. David Elswick
    12:29 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

Worst hire in UK history.

Not dinging Barnhart either. I don’t think anyone knew he was crazy before he came to UK.

8. David Elswick
    12:29 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

@6 – Love the name!

9. David Elswick
    12:32 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

I knew Clyde wasn’t all there in one of his early public interviews as UK coach. Instead of finishing a thought, he would intermittently would end with “or whatever”. I thought “Really? He’s in the 6th grade?”

10. Oogie
    12:33 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

Billy unfortunately appears to have a very loose grip on his sanity. He is clearly not fit to lead anything.

11. MemphisCat
    12:42 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

I guess the extra practice still did not make his team “Tough Enough” to compete. They were out toughed plenty last year.

12. Smith Bay point
    12:45 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

Seriously…

How the hell has no player beat the snot outta this guy? Yelling happens. Tough love happens. Kids have experienced all kinds of ‘coaching.’ But to accept being put in a bathroom stall, 6+ hour practices, constantly being berated, etc – I can’t believe all these kids have allowed him to get away with it.

13. 3cats
    12:47 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

it did not help! He still couldn’t coach!

14. BIllDozer
    12:52 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

#12…agreed. Its amazing that no one has ever socked the guy in the face. I was very close to some basketball guys when Gillispie was here and it was crazy hearing the stories. He used to treat Patterson like a worthless person with things he said to him. I’d poked his eyes out.

15. Steve
    12:57 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

I hope he dies and goes to hell.

16. Winston Churchill
    12:58 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

When first reports of TT’s overlong practices came out, I remember some TT jackleg saying the players were exaggerating, that the practices just “seemed” long to them. Ha ha ha.

17. SteveM
    1:00 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

#7 you have that only half right. The worse hire in UK history was in fact Mitch Barnhart, who made Billy G possible through his lack of due diligence which would have disclosed Gillispie was a chronic alcoholic, in addition to his other fu*&k ups involving UK athletics.

18. btowncatfan
    1:03 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

Come on, we all know the players in the BCG “era” were a bunch of P#$%ies, he was doing it to toughen them up.

19. Big Blue B-Rad
    1:08 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

14) I had a class with Patterson and somebody asked him about playing for Gillespie. And he said that he’s been yelled at before, but never like this. When Clyde yells, it gets personal.

20. Duke Sucks
    1:27 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

#12 The kids had more class then BCG. Nothing else keep him from a beat down.

21. Ghost of Rupp
    1:28 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

I was still courtside for the UK/VMI game several years ago in Rupp. As everyone remembers VMI beat Ky by scoring 111 points. At one point during the game Patrick Patterson could not bend over to pick up a loose ball that was right by his left foot. He looked at the ball and make a face I will never forget-he made a horrified face-like his mind was saying pick up the ball but his body would not respond. This was do to being overworked. Being grossly overworked is why VMI scored 111 on us in Rupp Arena.

Cal himself said publically last week that he works his players shorter hours and as a result they are able to play better defense.

22. DHo
    1:39 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

On, no….. “Bubba ain’t got no watch!”

23. BUBBA
    2:09 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

“Hey ya’ll not only did I forget my watch for a 7-hour practice on Saturday but, by golly, I also forgot it on Sunday. Shucky darn, guys!”

24. Will
    2:20 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

What a bastard.

25. tabb
    3:41 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

That Billy Clyde hire was great move Mitch! You have my complete confidence in hiring the next football coach! Sure, people point out Brooks and Cal but Brooks sucked in the SEC and Cal took the job, not because of your efforts, but because of the assurance that you’d stay out of his way! Thank goodness you rescued our softball and track program! Oh, thank you Mitch! Thank you, thank you thank you!

26. Jacob
    5:03 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

haha the title should be THE RISE AND FALL OF BILLY G.

27. BCG
    5:15 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

The NCAA needs to get about 75% tougher.

28. calfan2
    10:19 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

BCG…that one looks like a butterfly, that looks like a swan, that one looks like a tree, that one looks like….