Billy Gillispie already causing problems at Texas Tech

gillispie5

Well, that didn’t take long. Sports by Brooks is reporting that Billy Gillispie is already causing problems at Texas Tech. Since his hire in March, several staffers have reportedly left the program, including two secretaries, longtime trainer Jon Murray, and assistant coach Chris Beard.

Most troubling is Beard’s departure, which occurred after “multiple, heated altercations” with Gillispie that included the coach cussing out Beard in front of Texas Tech Athletic Director Kirby Hocutt. The last incident had to be physically be broken up by Hocutt, and spawned from Beard’s concerns over Gillispie’s mistreatment of his employees, players, and “fast and loose” recruiting tactics. However, reading Texas Tech’s press release concerning Beard’s exit, you would never know things were less than friendly:

“We hate to lose Chris,” Gillispie said in the statement. “He did a fantastic job and we appreciate the effort. He has been an important part of the program for several years and in the time we were together, it was obvious he has a great love for this university and this community.”

Beard could not be reached for comment.

“I’ve enjoyed and appreciate the opportunity to coach at Texas Tech University,” Beard said in a statement. “My family and I have equally enjoyed living in Lubbock. I wish Texas Tech nothing but the best.”

Sports by Brooks’ sources say that Beard never made the final statement, and was paid a large sum to sign a confidentiality agreement and make a quiet departure. Beard served as a Texas Tech assistant for nine years under Bob and Pat Knight, and agreed to stay on under Gillispie, who had apparently been a fan of Beard’s for some time, courting him as an assistant coach in the past. Needless to say, Kirby Hocutt and the Texas Tech athletic department are more than concerned about the situation and “Gillispie’s increasingly erratic behavior and well-chronicled fondness for, shall we say, a spirited off-court lifestyle.

Another sad turn for Gillispie, who is clearly squandering any second chances he’s been given.

52 Comments for Billy Gillispie already causing problems at Texas Tech

1. Tiger's Trojan Head Cover
    1:42 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Alex Legion’s mom called this…..

2. Fastcatercats2009
    1:43 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

no I don’t want Chris Beard’s asst. getting me Dr. Pepper’s and Crackers…he’s MY Asst. coach…

3. Bob
    1:44 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Seems a tiger can’t change his stripes after all. Good grief.

4. kfund
    1:44 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Sorry… “many” thought that?
    Odd, I didn’t.

5. Hoss
    1:48 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Sociopath?

6. BigBlueStreeb
    1:49 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

That dude has got some serious issues. Can we say Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew?

7. Kernel Sanders
    1:50 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Odd, no mention of 2:00 a.m. rounds of golf in Lubbock…(yet)

8. Dr. Dick Fitzenbutts
    1:52 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

It seems to me that a guy who by all accounts is essentially broke after his involvement in two separate Ponzi schemes, would try a little harder to hold on to what has to be his last shot at a major coaching gig.

9. Z.Rex
    1:53 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Dude worked for Knight for years, and couldn’t last 2 months with Gillispie…. that says volumes.

10. Football man
    1:55 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Talk about “Can’t get Right”!

11. TCBMan
    1:55 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Gosh, this makes Barnhart look that much more stupid for hiring this Guy at UK. What in the world was he thinking when he thought Gillispie was a good fit. At least he had the good sense to fire the SOB before he totally destroyed UK.

12. Jax Teller
    1:55 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Beard didn’t have the ever elusive “toughness” required to coach with Billy G. What a sad, sad man. Sounds awful familiar to what happened when he first got to UK. I remember several run ins with the Admin staffers that left all together or accepted other positions. I guess you can’t teach an old dog new tricks.

13. DirtyKroger
    2:04 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

BCG is one of the luckiest dumb arse I have ever seen!

14. bluetooth
    2:06 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

did he sample some of b knights leftover dna and mix it with some 4loco ? clyde must be a total tyrant . why in the h did we hire this clown

15. UKChillFan
    2:13 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

I think Mitch hired him because he beat Pitino in Rupp during the NCAA. Samething happened in Knoxville when Marquette beat UK, UT hired that crazy guy, Kevin O’Neil (I think). Sometimes people just make mistakes, Mitch made his, recognized it and went on to do the right thing.

16. Powerlifter165
    2:13 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

I have a hard time believing that a guy who coached under Bobby Knight would have a problem with the “mistreatment” of players.

I personally saw B Knight cuss out a woman at a Reds game years ago when she asked for his autograph. The guy is the King of douche bags.

17. ukfastkat
    2:14 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Let’s all just forget about this flawed and failed human meltdown and embrace OUR coach and the class and prestige he has restored to our BB program and our university.
    Good riddance, Gillespie!

18. come on
    2:15 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Texas Tech has to be feeling pretty stupid right now. After the way he treated his players and people in the administration here, which has been documented, any school to hire him to coach young people must be completely blind.

19. Always > U ..ofL
    2:17 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

I don’t know what to say. I just hate that man so much. I hope they lose every game and then those players get a good coach like Ramon, Jorts, and Perry did. Poor kids.

20. T.J.
    2:17 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

It’s so easy to attribute the way he acts to alcohol. But honestly, the dude is just a prick. Alcohol or not.

21. Ben
    2:18 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

BCG will never change! He is slime and needs to be flushed down the toilet with the rest of the sh*t. It is only a matter of time before it all falls apart. That will be the final end of BCG.

22. Guck Foodman
    2:18 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

17. I’m a middle-aged guy who still finds that funny enough to laugh out loud.

23. Neil
    2:19 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Wow, if these reports are true, then BCG is one of the dumbest people on the planet. After all that came out about him at UK and the problems he had, one would think he would be on his best behavior and straighten himself out. Unbelievable really

24. Always > U ..ofL
    2:19 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

T.J my friend you couldn’t be more right.

25. IrishPokerDog
    2:37 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Sports By Brooks? Oh, Lord. I don’t trust what he comes out with any more than I trust Pete Thamel. I’ll wait for someone else to carry this story before I put any faith into it….

26. Holden McGroin
    2:41 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Paging Dr. Phil, Paging Dr. Phil.
    If Clyde screws this up this fast, he deserves whatever he gets. I had hoped he would do well, but it looks like the second chance (i never thought he would get) may have been a mistake. There’s a bunch of people at T tech right now, saying “told you so”.

27. UKGoBigBlue
    2:45 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

As the saying goes: if it’s predictable it’s preventable ! All of this was predictable, like any of this is shocking news. Someone needs to seriously look into if Billy is bipolar & get him on some meds.

Billy will be lucky if he last 2 years.

28. DavenderCatTheSequel
    2:47 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Texas Tech needs to:

1) Get tougher
    2) On a daily basis

29. Loserville sucks
    2:48 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

You can’t fix stupid, and BCG appears hellbent to prove it.

30. I call shenanigans
    2:55 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Texas Tech is getting what it deserves. I cannot believe anyone would hire Clyde after hearing the way he did these same things at UK three years ago. Of course, he is turning into a mini-Bob Knight so I guess he will fit right in at TT. They’re used to having an asshole bully coach.

31. Standard and Poor must be racist, right?
    3:03 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

This is only the beginning. There will be plenty more stories coming out of Lubbock.

32. SoCalCat
    3:06 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

The bathroom stalls are packed with evil doers….

33. Mack
    3:13 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

If the NBA does not play maybe Jorts can be a coach for Clyde.

34. kyrobman
    3:38 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Dude gonna get fired before he ever gets started. BCG “I will stick a bucket on your head and lock you in a bathroom stall if you can’t handle the pressure. If that doesn’t work then you can ride in the equipment van” so ol’ boys quits before he has to endure all BCG crap.

35. BravoBigBlue
    3:52 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Couldn’t happy to a finer university or a nicer coach. Good luck to the both of them.

36. Mr. Bill
    3:55 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

So much for “Poor guy, he was just a bad fit at UK”.
    So much for “Poor guy, he just had alcohol problems”.
    So much for “Poor guy, he deserves a second chance.”
    So much for “I don’t believe Gillispie did any of those things at UK- poor guy”.
    So much for “They’re just not tough enough in Kentucky- Gillispie’s a Texan! Woohoo Yehaaa!”

Is it really just alcohol? Does he have a drug problem too? Does he, in all seriousness, have serious psychological problems? Is he just an idiot? Just an asshole? Or some combination of the above?

37. andyouthinkiminsane
    3:55 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

What an idiot…I just do not who is the bigger idiot…TT AD for hiring Billy G., Mitch B. for hiring him or Billy Himself…has to be Billy himself. Here, place your mouth over the barrel and pull the trigger!

38. Nutwrap
    4:35 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

25. Gotta agree with the skepticism you are having. I have only seen this article so far and take everything from that site with no expectations of validity. That being said the only thing truer than the fact Sports by Brooks spits out ridiculous, sourceless, knowledgeless articles, is the fact that Billy Gillespie is an alcoholic jackass (or any of those things in 36’s post) who pisses everyone off. So I don’t know who to believe.

39. Enquiring Minds
    4:48 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Poor Ole Bill needs a drink!!!!!

40. wheeler
    4:56 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Would someone check to see if any Texas Tech players are locked in the bathroom stall

41. Jones Returns
    5:33 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

9….Amen! Dude’s got serious issues

42. JP
    6:06 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Lets talk about somthing that we care about!LIKE THE 8TH BANNER coming soon to a theatre near you

43. It's a Celebration
    6:34 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

If true, sounds like he’s off the wagon again. Dude has a serious alcohol problem.

44. Bertway
    7:43 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Wonder what Jasper thinks of all this. Hejaz made a break for it, but Clyde lured him back in. Poor kid.

45. Holler Baller
    7:45 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Really sad, I was hoping he would get his act together at TT.
    Hope he doesn’t resort to night golfing down there to ease the pain.

46. Calipari'sInYourEar
    8:03 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Sports By Brooks is just lacking the toughness necessary to write what really happened.

maybe next time

47. Bobby Knight
    8:18 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Clyde makes me look like a Teddy Bear.

48. Jimmy Buffett
    8:46 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

49. logancatfan
    11:27 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Billy is a good fit fo them Texans. He aint gonna have no girly boys on his teams. The better git ready to rock n roll cause Billy is gonna kick some tail.

Ifin thet Beard guy wus any good they’ed made him the boss coach Good riddinance I say.

50. Cleatonite
    11:51 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

Beard almost got whooped…. Gillispie is officially nuttier that squirrel turds. He is the homespun Stalin of college basketball.

51. Tokyo now Tampa Satchel
    12:52 am August 24, 2011 Permalink

Shakes his head with a knowing smile…

52. The Hoff
    10:37 am August 24, 2011 Permalink

I hope they have big bathroom stalls at Texas Tech.