Billy Clyde is a Lunatic

I knew Billy Clyde was nuts, but I thought like most developed human beings that he could change. Apparently not. Tonight, Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com is reporting that it was an absolute train wreck for Billy Clyde at Texas Tech. According to Goodman, here are a few of the facts:

— Since Billy has been at Texas Tech, 15 players have left prematurely.

— During his 18 months in Lubbock, over 30 members of the program, including staffers, have departed.

— One player was required to practice with stress fractures in both legs.

— Players often had to go for more than 20 hours a week (the NCAA limit) and at times had practices of over four hours in a row.

— “The team’s star player, Jordan Tolbert, cut his hand on the rim one day last year in practice and suffered a four-inch gash across his fingers. The next day, according to one source, Gillispie had the trainer bandage his hand and then instructed Tolbert to dunk the ball every time he caught it.”

— Before every game, Billy Clyde would require everyone involved with the team, including tv and radio announcers, to do a layup drill and if they missed, they had to run the steps of the arena. Tom Leach and Mike Pratt thankfully did not have to deal with that.

In the article, many players criticize Billy Clyde and we find out that one player who left was named “Wannah Bail.” He was quickly followed after by “Gotta Goe”, “Cyah Brah” and “Outie Dawg”.

In all seriousness, Billy Clyde is an absolute disaster. It is surreal to think he was the coach at Kentucky.

Article written by Matt Jones

63 Comments for Billy Clyde is a Lunatic

1. Believeblue
    10:24 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Why is it so surreal??? Have you not seen our football coach?

2. Got CAL?
    10:25 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Remember Mitch hired this guy over Cal?

3. Believeblue
    10:26 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

I retract that based on Jokers character, I only meant by coaching ability. Charecter wise there is no comparison.

4. bcat
    10:26 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

He’s crazier than coal!!

5. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    10:27 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

OUTIE DAWG

6. tyson
    10:31 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Anybody worried this comes back to us? Especially with Perry Stevenson’s article?

7. Cyah Brah
    10:32 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

That mofo cray!

8. Rackem
    10:33 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

He never coached at kentucky…I tell myself that anyways ….its my motto..like hakuna matata…didn’t happen

9. paducahcat
    10:40 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Did I see something about 15 and prematurely? I thought this post was about Clyde, not Pitino.

10. bigdkt
    10:42 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

I would “wannah bail” too!!!

11. TruBlu
    10:48 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Wow the guys name really is wannah bail haha. After reading the article, I feel like wannah bail beat the s**t outta bcg and that’s the real reason he’s still in the hospital. Either bail or one of the dads.

12. kentuckyhillbilly
    10:50 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Maybe the school’s Prez should make the AD run stairs for hiring this abusive fool.

13. Jason
    10:50 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Five spots left in the Cal experience. Could you imagine Billy holding an experience camp like this?

14. TruBlu
    10:51 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

And another thing. He MADE the radio broadcasters run the steps if they missed layups in practice? Am I the only one, if I was a respected announcer, would have looked at him and told him to kiss my ass I’m not on the team? Please.

15. KyTom
    10:52 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

I honestly think Billy Clyde is a Sadistic Monster.

16. TruBlu
    10:53 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

*only one who,

17. Kentucky14
    10:54 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

I see a Fake Jerry Tipton article coming mentioning that Cal has had that many players leave prematurely from UK as well. LOL

18. Rixter
    10:54 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

What’s really insane is that prior to coming to Kentucky, there was no evidence that BCG didn’t have full control of his faculties…at least I never heard a peep.. until he locked Jorts in a bathroom stall. Is it possible that dealing with a couple of jugheads like Ramel Bradley and Ramon Harris drove BCG to insanity?

19. OogieBoogieMan
    10:54 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Sounds like dryin’ out, if in fact he did dry out, only made Billy G more nutty, not less.

20. UKBlue
    10:55 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Billy G obviously has some major mental issues; no sane rational thinking person would make the decisions he makes or do the things he has done.

Someone needs to check Billy G into a psych ward & STAT !! He is an obvious danger to himself & anyone near him. We’ve got a 5151 Crazy Person on the lose.

21. King3
    10:59 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Obviously he is insane. The thought of Rob Bromley and Tom Leech doing a lay up line is too much. What announcer would go along with that. Do they get sprints for dumb questions too?

22. Rackem
    11:02 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

23. UKBlue
    11:04 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Billy could very well get charged criminally over this mess.

24. Iucansuckabigblue......
    11:07 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

I’ll never forget the Gardner Webb game. We didn’t have the U at the time. My father and I went to BW3’s with a hand full of other UK fans in the bar section. I still remember the shock of watching them run the same backdoor play over and over and over. And we couldn’t figure it out. We looked like we were standing in quick sand. Must have been the long practice earlier in the day. You could tell he was in over his head. And as a life long Wildcat I could not believe my eyes. I’m glad we are back on top of the mountain. Cause it was really not that long ago….

Go Big Blue!!!

25. whodat
    11:11 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

and who defended him at EVERY turn? Ole Frosty…

26. kylady
    11:21 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

BCG is Fifty Shades of Cray !!!!

27. Axe Cop
    11:25 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Since when did “crazy” become “cray?” Please stop.

28. Ryan
    11:46 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Still an upgrade from pat knight if you ask me. Texas tech…..where one bad decision becomes two.

29. WKY Dude
    11:46 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

No wonder Derrick Jasper left. Just a shame. I’m guessing we only know a fraction of what really went on while he was at UK. It’s interesting thought that Bradley and Crawford sang his praises.

30. james young
    11:51 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

I’m sorry I couldnt help myself I had to laugh at the names he made for the players that left!!

31. UK Freshmen
    11:52 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

And to think people like you defended him from day one to the end. Shame.

32. JBR
    11:58 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

All of the Joker apologists still think we should have given BCG a few more years…you know, because two is just no enough to see anything a coach can do…

33. Linda Taylor
    12:12 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

31-Who are you talking about? Because, if you mean Matt, you are completely wrong. Matt was one of the first to call for his ouster.

34. Linda Taylor
    12:15 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

32-That’s a ridiculous statement and if you don’t know it, well, that wouldn’t surprise me.

35. Branjo
    1:05 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

33. the poster was referring to the one and only Marc Maggard aka MM aka Mexican comedy club manager aka Frosted Tips

36. Wildcatsteeler
    2:00 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

With the same media scrutiny this is Bob Knight.

37. JBR
    2:55 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

Yeah 34…we need women basing decisions on emotion and not performance…stay in the kitchen, honey.

38. Catsincebirth
    3:21 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

Just a matter of time before her kills himself.He is a
    bipolar mess and you can sees this train wreck coming.

39. Catsincebirth
    3:22 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

He

40. DT in DC
    4:46 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

What a sad shame. I really hoped he got his stuff together after his rehab and got his career back on track. Guess it really wasn’t the booze that made him crazy after all. After this, what will he ever do for a job? No place in America should hire someone that insane.

41. HackRichards
    5:20 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

He’s shot his wad.

42. barn
    6:32 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

36–you must have espn. i was thinking the same thing. it’s like some witchy woman put a bob knite mojo on bcg. texas tech must have a masochistic ad–first the nights, now this.

43. RD
    7:54 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

This guy needs some professional help. Wonder if this kind of stuff went on at TX A&M before he came to UK and now onto TT.

44. BILL
    8:03 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

I still cannot see how Mitch still has his job at UK.

45. Raazoul
    8:04 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

32 The difference is that UK Football shouldn’t have high expectations. Only nut cases like you think we can get Nick Saban and win a Title. Let’s fire the 5-7 coach in hopes we get a 6-6 coach, makes sense.

46. ebarbaau
    8:34 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

How could anyone be so ignorant as to hire this moron?

47. Ben
    8:46 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

If he is ever allowed to coach again, the NCAA should be shut down! This guy is a certified nut case. He should never be allowed to coach again.

48. Marquis de Sade
    9:07 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

I will have to agree to disagree with all of you. He’s a great coach.

49. smoke and mirrors
    10:01 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

You are as sick as he is #48.Here is to hoping the next we here of BCG is his obit. Harsh? Maybe. Do I mean it? Hell yes

50. Boredom Says
    10:48 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

I’m curious if the death of both Keightley, which did seem to REALLY bother him and likely influenced the more crazy second year, and the death of his mother to cancer caused him to flip over the edge.

Sad if that is true, because I liked him, but those allegations are just unbelievably crazy.

I named my weimaraner Billie, and it’s no wonder she’s has anxiety problems!

51. Dolfan66r
    10:50 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

Just another one of a 100 reasons why Barnyard is the worst AD in America!!!

52. Jim Murray
    10:55 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

6- what Perry Stevenson article???

53. jpizzle
    10:57 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

48- well played MdS

Derrick Jasper isn’t surprised that guys with multiple stress fractures have to practice. How else do you toughen up?

In all seriousness, what kind of whacked out childhood must BCG have endured. It takes a lot of formative craziness to produce this kind of adulthood dysfunction.

54. VS
    11:05 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

Cal saved Mitches ass from being fired. And Mitch didnt hire Cal, Cal came to UK for the job, asked for it! Mitches hires are Joker and Billy Clyde……..

55. John Ellis
    11:39 am September 5, 2012 Permalink

Well, duh. BC had Patterson, Bradley, Meeks, Crawford and ran them into the ground so they lost to VMI for godssake at Rupp. He should have been fired on the spot. Bobby Knight was the one who got him hired at Texas Tech – he sure makes the Knights’ time there look wonderful by comparison. BC was hired as the ‘anti-Tubby’, you remember, Tubby was too soft, Tubby played too hard a schedule…that’s where reactionary thinking gets you.

56. Linda Taylor
    1:09 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

37-In the kitchen, in the classroom, in the boardroom, wherever, I could outperform you. I’m not limited to thinking out of only one side of my brain at a time like you are. I could probably even arm wrestle you and win. You are making your first mistake by lumping Joker supporters in with BCG supporters. I stopped supporting BCG when I started hearing how he was treating the players and when it became obvious that he was putting an overworked, exhausted team out on the floor. You are making broad generalizations that have no basis in fact. To lump Joker supporters together with BCG supporters is ridiculous. The reasons I want to see how this year of football pans out before writing Joker off are many. First, last year we had so many injuries to key players that it wasn’t a fair year to get a true evaluation of the coaches. They were limited in their play calling by the talent on the field and they were still 5-7. If you don’t believe your players can execute on the field, you can’t call plays you would otherwise like to call. It’s not like UK has a stellar history in football and we are used to having 9-3 seasons every year. Unlike you, I realize the difficulty in attracting a great coach to come here. Do you remember how much trouble Mitch Barnhart had finding a coach before he settled for Rich Brooks? I do. I also remember how so many were calling for Rich Brooks to be fired but Barnhart stuck with him and gave him the time he needed and we started going bowling. I remember when we were excited about getting Bill Curry away from AL and look how that turned out. Make no mistake, UK is an extremely difficult job in football for many many reasons and we hardly ever have any real success no matter when we put money into the program or not. It is usually when we cheat that we do better, but the next time that happens the penalty could be beyond severe. I just don’t have very high hopes of being able to attract a coach that would be able to do much better than Joker is doing right now.
    Condescending lines like stay in the kitchen have no place in today’s society. My guess is, with your attitude towards women, you don’t have very good relationships with women. We don’t put up with that kind of bs anymore because we don’t have to. We are outperforming you in every aspect of life with the exception of tasks that only have the requirement of brute strength.

57. JBR
    3:38 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

Your thesis proves my point about you Linda…it was a freakin joke, get over your little self. I can assure you that my education level and life in general would go toe to toe with yours anyday. Seems you may have a little chip on your shoulder getting all flustered like that. But I am not trying to be a world saver on here…it was just a joke, and again, you prove my point with your rant. If you want to really understand why Joker is so bad, and why the fanbase has turned on him so quickly, you can look up some of my old posts or just ask. There is a reason, and we could hire a good high school coach that could out-perform Joker…and that is not sarcasm. And, you can say what you want about treatment of players, but Joker is is doing a complete disservice to his players by being their friend rather than their coach. I don’t have to say a word…our record and our play is reality…think about watching it from an objective football perspective rather than a Joker homer perspective…if you are capable of doing that; I do not know your football background.

58. Pot Meet Kettle
    4:03 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

#37 was being a [email protected] sure, but #56 your attitude towards men doesnt seem to read any better, if men are only good for opening your jars of pickles, then i ll assume your relationships with them are no better.

59. Cat ATTACK
    4:25 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

#56–
    Your last line is “We are outperforming you in every aspect of life with the exception of tasks that only have the requirement of brute strength.”
    Did you pause even for one second to consider the breadth and depth of this statement?
    “We” = all women..So you know all women and are aware of every single aspect of each one’s life? Seriously?

“you”= all men…Again you know enough about all men and their affairs that you can put forth a blanket statement and proclaim all women better?

This is one of the most absurd, shallow, bigotted statements I have ever read.

Such a proclamation only reads to me: “I am an idiot–an insecure, hostile, prejudiced idiot”

60. Linda Taylor
    5:07 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

57-If you consider that a joke you have a sorry sense of humor. There was nothing funny about it. You belong in a different century. I just don’t like men who disrespect women. If you were respectful of women you would never have made that asinine comment. You are the type of jerk I’d love to make some of my famous brownies for, only for yours I’d like to add a little Ex-lax to them, just for fun. Flustered? More like disgusted.
    As far as Joker goes, I think Rich Brooks knows more about football than you do, after all, he does wear a Super Bowl ring doesn’t he, and he believes in Joker. I’m just willing to give him a little more time. Personally, I don’t think being a head coach for the first time in the SEC is a good idea as a general rule. Any coach is going to have some growing pains in their first head coaching position. I also believe that Joker is not being given as much of a chance because he is black and I saw what this fan base did to Tubby. This area has a lot of outright racists and a lot of closet racists in it. Are you advocating BCG style treatment of players? I consider my perspective realistic. If we had a healthy OLine all last year, if we had Clemons, Collins and Faulkner healthy last year our W-L record would have been similar to what it was under Rich Brooks. We would have certainly had a winning season. With Collins we might have been able to open up the playbook and throw the long ball. We are not an AL, LSU, FL or any other top-tier program that can absorb losses of our best players and have it not affect our W-L record. We got the wrong kid in Newton, who couldn’t adapt to the quick decision making needed in the SEC and he has been the major reason why we have struggled, but at the time we got him it looked like we had a coup. We got him under RB. I am not under the delusion that we will ever be a top-tier football program, there is too much to be overcome. I will be happy with a winning program that plays exciting football.

61. Linda Taylor
    6:15 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

58-59- That is my attitude towards men like him, not men in general. I can’t stand men with his kind of attitude and have nothing to do with them. Those remarks were addressed to him alone because he was being a jerk who thinks it’s cute to put women down. Why can’t you guys keep the sexist comments to yourselves. I defend my own sex and oh my all H breaks loose and I’m a man-hater. No, I just can’t stand the kind of man like that guy is. Of course I’m not saying every woman is better than every man, but he was implying that the only place for a woman is in the kitchen. There simply is no place for that kind of attitude and someone with that kind of attitude, no matter what he says, does not have a good relationship with females because I don’t know of a single female that wouldn’t want to kick him in the balls if he said that to her. I wonder how many times he has been divorced. Myself, I’ve been happily married for over 20 years, and never been divorced, but I made sure I wasn’t marrying a jerk like him. By the way, it is a fact that more women are graduating from college and medical schools than men.

62. Pot Meet Kettle
    7:04 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

Most men can find well paying jobs without going to college. There also arent very many women willing to go work in a hot factory, busting their tail all day working construction or many of those other jobs that men do, that are neccessary for your little world to keep on turning.

63. Linda Taylor
    8:13 pm September 5, 2012 Permalink

62-Haven’t you noticed, a lot of women are working construction these days and women have been working in hot factories ever since WWII. Try again. The difference is when they get home from work, a lot (not all) of men sit on their duff while the women have to take care of the kids, do the laundry, clean the house, cook, shop for groceries, etc. Women are never finished with work because there is never enough time to get everything done at home that needs to be done after they’ve put in their 40-80 hours/week at work. Most of the women I know feel like they carry 90% of the burden of home and child care even though they also work outside the home. So don’t talk to me about my little world.