Bill to renovate Commonwealth Stadium passes Senate

Great news from Frankfort: House Bill 7, which includes bonding capacity for renovations to Commonwealth Stadium, the Nutter Training Facility, the Gatton College of Business and Economics, and the construction of a new science building, has been approved by the Kentucky Senate. The Senate passed the bill with a vote of 36-1, and it will now go back to the House to approve the added language, and then on to the Governor to sign into law.

After the vote, Kentucky Senate President Robert Stivers told Eli Capilouto, who was in attendance, to “go win a ball game.”

That’s great and all, but who was the one senator to vote against it?

Senator John Schickel

UPDATE: Ask and ye shall receive…the one senator to vote against the Bill was John Schickel, who represents District 11 (Boone County, Gallatin County and part of Kenton County). According to The Courier-Journal’s Gregory Hall, Schieckel says he voted no because if universities have money for projects, they can lower tuition.

55 Comments for Bill to renovate Commonwealth Stadium passes Senate

1. Roland
    4:00 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

If it didn’t pass it would have been heard All over the Commonwealth:
    WTF!

2. Stumbo
    4:00 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

i am a dumbass

3. Scratch
    4:01 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

The one who voted against it was probably a Louisville fan…….

4. DD
    4:02 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Who was the “NO” vote?

5. Poco Chang
    4:03 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Schickel voted against it.

6. Laker Cat 18
    4:05 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

4. Must have been a democrat. Otherwise, Matt would be all over it.

7. Roland
    4:05 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

What kind of last line is that in the post?

“That’s great and all, but who was the one senator to vote against it?”

8. Roland
    4:08 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

That question wasn’t necessary.
    Commenters here would have said it.

9. Captain Caveman
    4:08 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Can someone find out on the Herald-Loser website where Schickel sits at UK games? We should all go share our thoughts with this public official — while he’s enjoying the benefits of being a state senator at Rupp.

10. Usernametaken
    4:10 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Sorry, #6. Schickel is Republican.

11. Jeff Garlin
    4:10 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

7. He’s a republican actually!

12. mrmojorising
    4:11 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Schickel is a Republican from northern KY. Graduate of NKU.

13. Barry
    4:13 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Where is the damn “Like” button on this website?

14. JC
    4:14 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

That dumbass in the Kentucky House was Toby Herald and he is a Republican, uneducated, and they have pretty much let that asshole escape. There is so much they could have done to him and when prodded to do so, Matt has let it go. That man is a moron and sums up the Kentucky republican party to me. He makes me weep for the future. A bill that pays for itself and teaches science is too much for that jackhole to understand. Someone show his type the fossil record and how the earth does indeed, orbit the sun.

Trust me, this moron will be a republican and proud of the fact he can’t do math. And all the other republican mouth breathers on here will not say a word because of his ignorance.

15. SexnNursinHomes
    4:16 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Glad I read that. Thought the renovations were being done by a guy named Bill.

16. B-Rob6
    4:18 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

#15 U mad bro?

17. JC
    4:20 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Schnickel is a good looking guy. Why does everyone in the Kentucky republican party look like a villain from Dick Tracy?

18. Roland
    4:21 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

16, aka: SNH, he likes to be called: “Will I Am”

19. SexnNursinHomes
    4:23 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

19- hahhaha!! That made me laugh fart. Laughed caused me to fart. hahaha

20. JC
    4:24 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, I am mad. I deal with the on a pretty consistent basis. Fortunately for me I read may out of it growing up. But since they don’t really believe in books unless a radio host wrote it, they are killing the state with their ignorance but their shortsightedness will never allow them to see it.

21. Patrick Sparklers
    4:28 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Id have voted yes, but I don’t blame the guy who voted no. He has a good point, I’m paying 4,000 a year in state and they are spending millions on an athletic program. His no vote was symbolic of a broken system where athletics are a higher priority than the welfare of the residents that the University of Kentucky claims to represent. If UK was truly worried about the welfare of Kentucky, then raising the tuition on one of the poorest states in the country is an odd way to show it. The bill even includes a line that says tuition increases can be applied to help pay for the renovations. How is that serving the best interests of the citizenry of this state? This bill will make money for the university over time, but I’d bet my left nut that the profits the university generates won’t go to cut costs for the families across Kentucky. UK will build a new building or renovate a college with the profits, and then raise tuition to pay for the improvements. I see the man’s point. I respect him for saying no. I appreciate the symbolic gesture, even if we all know it was meaningless.

22. SexnNursinHomes
    4:29 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

22- I remember the tuition at UK in the 90s and it was cheaper than a quarter kilo of cocaine.

23. Woe is me
    4:34 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

22. I pay about 4k a TERM bro. Don’t complain…

24. Roland
    4:34 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

another guy leading this state doesn’t even know that UK will let the SEC Tv contract pay for its share.
    ‘according to The Courier-Journal’s Gregory Hall, Schieckel says he voted no because if universities have money for projects, they can lower tuition.”

lowering tuition is a great idea but universities depend on this Elton John idea:

25. TheDecker
    4:35 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

OK..so with his point of view campus wouldn’t receive any updates until tuition was free?

26. Ryne
    4:35 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Tell NKU to lower tuition. They have double tuition in like 4yrs

27. BPM
    4:36 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Why would Schieckel be against lowering college tuition?

28. RICK
    4:37 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

You know he kind of makes sense, of course i dont know if tuition has anything to do with paying for it.

29. Duuuuuude
    4:39 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

I will agree in principle with his stand, even though he is dead wrong. The football programs carry every other sport at UK except for basketball. You have to support it if you want success with the other programs. That said, this was not a gift to the university to renovate the stadium. It simply means that the university can now borrow money (bonds) to raise money to build the stadium, which unlike the YUM Center, will actually pay for itself. The tickets people buy to watch a quality product on the field will cover the debt.

30. RICK
    4:40 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

15, sorry should have read your post first.I got some chill pills if you need one.

31. mrmojorising
    4:44 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

22. There was an amendment to the bill that specifically stated that tuition COULD NOT be raised to pay for the improvements. It was added to the bill in the House last week. Here’s the bill in it’s entirety if you wanna check it out: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/13RS/HB7.htm

32. mrmojorising
    4:45 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

22. Actually, the amendment was made in the Senate. See the “SCS” in the bill I referenced above.

33. Sin The'
    4:46 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Dude looks like a child molester.

34. Robert E. Lee
    4:48 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Tommy Thompson’s the man.

35. Chase
    4:48 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Larry Warford getting some national pub. #WeAreUK #BBN

36. Musehobo
    4:50 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Dear Mr. Schickel, I realize you are a retired Law Enforcement Officer, and I can respect that. But if you think UK wants to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars so the stadium will look “pretty”, you are sorely mistaken. This is what’s called a business decision, and it’s usually to make more money. Furthermore, it’s their money, and you have no right to tell them they can’t use it for a legitimate project. Your wrongheadedness overrides your sense of duty to the common folk.

37. Red Headed Stepchild
    4:56 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Easy J.C. your state has a Democratic majority in the ville. KY is one of eleven states that has more people on welfare than gainfully employeed. I’m sure you work for a Republican or you would see that every party has a jackass or two. Maybe it is the admendment that he did not like in an election year.

38. tyrus
    4:57 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

HEY SENATOR SCHICKEL, I’ll give you 10 guesses and the first 9 don’t count on where funding came from to construct NKU’s convocation center or as normal folks call it, arena. You hypocritical P.O.S.. The state assisted in funding NKU’s arena because David Williams was the one that okayed funds from the state. Northern KY legislators got cute when seeking funding options by calling it convocation center but make no mistake it was built for sports.

39. Laker Cat 18
    4:57 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

11 & 12. My apologies. Democrats love taking a knife to a gun fight. I just tried putting 2 and 2 together.

40. gop
    4:58 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

democrats ok’d spending? shocking…..

41. Republic here
    5:05 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

I’m a republican and disagree completely with Schickel’s comment. It made no sense. I am just glad everyone else, regardless of party, voted for the bill. Co Cats!

42. Biglaw Dawgin'
    5:06 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

34 – haha. How do you get that proof back and not ask for another photo immediately? That means he either (a) lacks any kind of sense because he didn’t realize it makes him look like a weirdo or (b) simply is a weirdo. Either way, what’s he doing in our legislature?

43. Red Headed Stepchild
    5:07 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

39 JUST BROUGHT IT!!!!!!!!

44. ATL CATS
    5:10 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

That is my DAD, Tommy Thompson , on the right of DR C (UK president). He is the Kentucky State House of Reps – Majority Whip from Owensboro – Daviess/Ohio County District! Way to Go DAD! He voted “YES” for the Bill by the way cause he knows whats up! GO CATS!!!

45. NO1UNO
    5:15 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

JC…careful, you’re letting your mouth overload your a$$. Guys like you are laughable b/c you’re so convinced you’re right, go off running your mouth looking like an idiot, only to find out later you’re f**king wrong. Are you really the fool that you appear to be?

46. ukblueman
    5:25 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Whats wrong with lowering tuition?????? He’s right!

47. Spurious
    5:45 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

I no longer live in Kentucky, and since Ayn Rand, excuse me, Rand McNally, no, whatshisname, was elected to the US Senate I am now glad I moved. That, no matter how happy my move makes me, is beside the point. The Schickel guy, I believe, is the same loony who introduced the bill, maybe SB 6, to lock up all the illegal aliens in Kentucky without checking the cost of such a bill. The estimated cost was in the neighborhood of 40 million dollars. Ask the buffoon of a former law enforcement guy, whatever that means, to use that money to lower tuition.

48. JC
    6:03 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

#46 or that would make the Republican party of Kentucky. All I ask is they read a book that doesn’t have a lot pictures or even coloring. They work so hard to kill this state. There is a reason the rest of the world makes fun of us and they are in the top three. They rarely use facts and when they do they are usually out of context. I work with people all the time that bitch about illegal immigrants. Yet on the same day I’ll see them hire workers for slave wages because “it is the only way they can continue to operate the farm.” They bitch about people in the cities having guns, how they are too “stupid” to own guns. But they need 30 or 40 because the government is coming for them. This is a very large group of my family both immediate and distant. Hey, they get tons of government program checks so they can stay in business, yet they constantly bitch about a black president giving black people more money. It makes me sick. I love this site, but of course, republican apologists jump on Matt because he points out a lawmaker that demonstrates a lack of intellect. It sets me off.

49. Smiley Pete
    7:27 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

@21/49: I hope you’re typing on a phone because otherwise no one is going to take your rants about the stupidity of those you disagree with very seriously. I hope you don’t hold the Kentucky Democratic Party to any other standard because what you described (minus the self-serving hyperbole) fits both parties.

50. budget
    7:58 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

hell, who can disagree with him. Good for John

51. katsrock
    8:01 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

#48 How many new jobs would that open up? How many welfare rolls would be cleared off? How many emergency rooms would be cleared of non-paying patients complaining of tummy aches? How many taxpayer-paid free school lunches would be eliminated? How much drug dealing would be eliminated? How much crime would be reduced? How many car crashes by uninsured motorists would be reduced? How many taxpayer-paid translators could be eliminated? $40 million sounds like a bargain to me.

52. Red headed blue blood
    8:09 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

49.
    I just finished reading “Everybody Poops” picture book to my youngest of three your posts fit its subject matter. I have defended my country for 15 years in the US Army. I have owned two businesses for the past 7 years with 16 employees. Liberal nonsense oozes from your pompous self inflated intellect. Pull your head out of MSNs ass and read some Ben Carson’s self help books
    Go blue

53. Old Cat
    9:00 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

I only wish that the legislature would take the same interest in the funding of The Worlds Largest Sports Bar (aka Yum! Center). The Democrat/UL cabal in Louisville and Frankfort (thanks Mayor Jerry etal) have done a number on Louisville and the Commonwealth. All the while UL is raking in the $$ and paying Strong a sinful salary and retaining a recruiter who is running from the NCAA.

54. Zach
    10:47 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Is Bill gonna renovate it all by himself? That could take awhile. I heard he does good work though.