Big Time Timmy Jim’s Evening News and Views

BigTimeTimmyJim

Baseball’s in full-swing, and Cy Young and World Series winner Tim Lincecum celebrates his 28th birthday today.  He also apparently got a haircut, which seems to serve him well even if it makes him look like Ryan Gosling and Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s hyper-aged love child.  It’s probably good that those two never had a kid together in real life, though, because if they did, no other guy would stand a chance.  But Lincecum has fallen from the spotlight a little after the Giants World Series win, but hopefully 28 will treat him a little better.

Plus, he’ll always have this:

Onto the news…

-Mark Stoops is making the offseason interesting, and thank Pan, the goat god, for it.  The Cats’ 2014 class has moved up the rankings dramatically this week, and currently has a shot at a (temporary) #1 ranking.  That won’t stand once 5-stars start dropping, but it’s still something to hang onto, and this class is looking to finish super-strong; at least in the top 20.  Take a look at this one more time:

2014Class

No words… Should have sent… A poet.

-Possibly the biggest commit this week was Stanley “Boom” Williams, who not only is an elite running back (#1 all-purpose), but is also in contention for greatest nickname ever.  It just rolls off the tongue.  “Boom” Williams.  It’s nice.  But whatever you call him, look for explosive plays from Boom in 2014.  See?  “Boom?”  “Explosive?”  That’s gonna happen a lot, so probably just get used to it.

-Drew Barker got his Elite 11 swag today, and I’m jealous.  It’s packaged so nicely.

-Are Western Kentucky fans turning into “Littler Brother?”  Their uppity attitude and assumption that Kentucky fans should root for them is at least something to make you hate the red Grimace they call a mascot.

-John Wall was in a fake movie trailer with Jack Black, Kyle Gass, Ed Begley, Jr., John C. McGinley, and Rachel Bilson.  What is this I don’t even

-In Basketball recruiting news (are we turning into a basketball school?), 4* Power Forward Craig Victor aptly described UK as the “American Dream school” of college basketball.  Victor has some offers already, but is only waiting on one from Cal and Co.  Could Craig join Karl Towns in the 2014 Class?  Will they make their own Twitter account, too?  Pan, I hope so.

-BTI doesn’t think Darius Miller’s jersey should be in the rafters. Agree to disagree.

That’s all for today, but with the iron hot in football recruiting, tomorrow might be bristling with surprises.  Stick around.  Or go play golf.  We’ll be here when you get back.

Article written by Corey Nichols

28 Comments for Big Time Timmy Jim’s Evening News and Views

1. Andrew
    11:20 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

Top 20? If they get most of the other big names on their board they will be close to the top 10 when its all said and done. There is only about 15 5* recruits and half of them will go to Alabama.

2. Sorry Darius
    11:37 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

I got to agree with bti…Darius Miller should not get his jersey retired. Yes, he won a title…yes, he was a 1000 point scorer…yes, he is from Kentucky. But there are at least 10 guys I can think of off the top of my head more deserving that aren’t up there now…

Delk
    Bogans
    Prince
    Hayes
    Chapman
    Wall
    Cousins
    Davis
    Padgett
    Shephard
    Mercer
    Epps…and I’ll say Epps and Miller are about even in my opinion.

I’m sure I missed someone…but I think these guys should be up in the rafters ahead of Miller. And that takes nothing away from what he accomplished at UK. Cameron Mills will forever be loved in this state for what he did for the program, but not every Kentucky kid that wins a championship should have their name on a banner. You have to draw the line somewhere…

3. big O
    11:51 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

No matter the football news (and for the record count me as thrilled with the change in in coaching staff and what they have already accomplished), but make no mistake– UK is and always be a ROUNDBALL SCHOOL!

4. Stoooooops
    11:52 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

2) a lot may laugh at Epps, but I still say he is the best pure PG that UK has had in 25 years! He wasn’t the most talented. He just ran the team and seemed to always make the right play. You need to look no farther then his assist to TO ratio in 96 and 97. I don’t know if belongs in the rafters but I know every incoming PG to UK would benefit from watching tapes of Epps and how to run a team. It was no surprise that UK didn’t lose a game after he was made the starter in 1996( the Miss. St. Game doesn’t count to me because it was clear Pitino didn’t want to win that game.)

5. Stoooooops
    11:57 pm June 14, 2013 Permalink

#4 I will agree football will always be #2 to basketball. If you ever went to CWS during the Couch and Woodson years though you would know there is plenty of support for football too. In basketball we are KENTUCKY that says it all but we love our football too!

6. Shawon
    12:07 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

So…I go out on a night on the town and check my Twitter feed. What the heck happened at about 5:30?

In the end, I guess I am going to have to stick with the old, trusted war horse JDrum for UK football recruiting info beyond this site. The rest are just too full of themselves.

7. Sorry Darius
    12:15 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

I agree #4 and that’s why I included Epps on that list. To me I might even put him up there just below Chapman. He was the glue. I was never more confident in a UK point guard than Epps, and I can remember back to the ’84 season. That doesn’t mean that he’s the greatest PG ever at UK, but I knew going into games with Epps that he was going to play smart without turning the ball over, be pass first(which is wise when you have the talent around him that he had), and was going to knock down open shots. You can’t really say that about Wall, or Rondo, or Turner, or Hawkins. Really what more can you ask out of any point guard? I think ’96 and ’97 play out much differently without Epps on those teams. Plus he was tough as nails, didn’t get rattled in the big moments of games(see game tying three to force OT in ’97 championship game) and was a great leader. And to top it off he was just a winner(see his HS championship and what he did in the ’95 SEC Tourney Championship against the Hogs.)

8. Stoooooops
    12:47 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

I remember Epps Marion Co. Team throwing Lobs that state Tourny. One of the better teams I’ve seen in the sweet 16!

9. UK
    1:17 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

2) I think the only one and done that belongs in the rafters is Anthony Davis. He won every player of the year award, defensive player of the year, and Final Four MOP. His dominance cannot be overstated. I love Wall, Cousins, Knight, MKG, etc….but none of them come close to Davis’ numbers and awards.

10. Martyr
    1:18 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

#2 if you include wall and cousins on that list you’ve either got to be 15 or have not taken into consideration who has actually gotten a jersey in the rafters, and who in the last 70 year of greatness have been left out. Anthony Davis is the only deserving one in Cal’s tenure, Patrick next closest

11. Martyr
    1:19 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

9. I like your style

12. Stooooops
    2:26 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

10) I agree but I do think if your going to count importance to the program Wall should be in the conversation. He was the first big recruit in the Cal era and the first #1 draft pick in school history. I don’t know if he belongs in the rafters or not but he has to be in the conversation.
    None of the this matters untill after Delk gets in! I think after Delk Prince will have to be next then let the one and done debate begin. Just can’t see any of them more deserving then Delk and Prince!

13. Blessed cat fan
    2:36 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

Like alot of the post but cannot get passed the references to false gods! I’m sure that the one true god has blessed UK! I am so thankful for that!

14. Stoooooooooops
    3:01 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

Seen on rivals where UK is involved with the #5 player in the class. Can KSR give us a post in the future that shows what top players have interest or offers from UK in football? I know Football recruiting is harder to gauge the basketball but it would be a good read.

15. CATandMONKEY
    5:00 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

Nice astronaut reference. Darius is one of my faves but is not elite.
    I agree with several folks earlier in the week that suggested that jerseys for the unforgettables be replaced with a banner with their names….Farmer was not an elite player by any stretch.

16. Jvice
    5:36 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

Great post, just for the Pan references alone.

17. Dan
    7:06 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

I went to a party at western my friends frat threw. Awful.

18. Nick Kname
    7:26 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

Stanley …BOOM…ROB ’em ….Williams…..

19. Ready 5
    7:29 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

Like the reference to contact.

20. SanFran
    8:09 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

Please Corey Nichols, find a new job! You’re awful. I miss the good ole days before you started writing. Maybe if you wouldn’t offend wku students and alumni who are also UK fans they might actually tolerate you. You still would suck though.

21. Megan
    8:57 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

I want to like Jack Black, but he’s 80 percent lame. Nice ideas, puts himself out there, but good only in small doses.

22. Pan be damned
    9:20 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

Megan- Jack Black is an American hero and rock and roll icon, a true savior to the close minded populous of America. Please Jack save us from the wrath of God for this pan nonsense, some people gonna burn.

23. mike
    12:16 pm June 15, 2013 Permalink

Id rather have darius millers jersey retired then john walls anyday!

24. Duke Sucks
    2:45 pm June 15, 2013 Permalink

I like Darius as much as anyone but he couldn’t pack Walls shoes in the gym!

25. Croey Nihcols
    5:47 pm June 15, 2013 Permalink

I misspelled your name to make up for all the mistakes you didn’t make today. Congrats, even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. #firecoreynichols #btisucks

26. My favorite Jew B-sides
    6:51 pm June 15, 2013 Permalink

Jesus is/was a Jew.

So was his mother.

Jack Black, Tenacious D, is a brother.

Christianity is just another sect of Judiaism.

27. jIM
    11:56 pm June 15, 2013 Permalink

During the 2013 UK football season I’d like to see 100% more enthusiasm from UK fans ALL GAME LONG, win or lose, this has always been a problem in my opinion with team moral, I’d also like to see some new traditions get started, how about instead of the old blue -white chant from the stands, we change it to U-K-U-K, and during Kick-Offs something like Gooooooo-WILDCATS, I think some new traditions along with some old ones might help with team and fan spirit.

28. John
    9:13 am June 16, 2013 Permalink

Way to pull my original post questioning the irony of calling WKU fans ‘uppity’ when KSR is clinging to the need to call other state schools “littller” brother. The original question stands…do we start dogging on Brescia, Midway College, and Centre next? KSR sounds desperate these days with this nonsense.