Big EZ talks Kentucky vs. Indiana

FROM FORMER KSR RADIO SHOW PERSONALITY, BIG EZ….

Hello to my KSR friends from the land of #Albertageddon, a pathetic NFL team and really good beer–St. Louis. Thank God college basketball is alive and well. Don’t worry, I’ve been keeping up on all the teams from our area–Indiana, Louisville and, of course, the Cats–from this local watering hole. There’s also a couple teams around here (Saint Louis and Missouri) that aren’t too bad either and give me just enough of a college hoops fix locally to remain sane.

Anyway, in between tweets slobbering over just how great the atmosphere was at Rupp Arena last Saturday, Drew Franklin asked me to give some thoughts on the matchup going down this weekend at the also-outdated-but-never-duplicated Assembly Hall.

First, a disclaimer: This is the one time all season that I actively root AGAINST Kentucky. For this one time, you guys are the lowdown, dirty snitches, at least in my eyes. Deal with it. Then, after the game is over, it’s the same old, overweight, but great-with-the-ladies “big poppa” that you’ve always enjoyed. There, you have my disclaimer. Take it (and what follows) for what it’s worth.

As far as the game is concerned, first off: be nice to us IU fans. It’s been awhile since we’ve sniffed a little success, so forgive us if we’re a little confident. It’s a feeling we haven’t felt in quite awhile. If you think there is a pompousness that comes with that, it’s just because we’re a little rusty at this whole confidence thing. But make no mistake, it’s a guarded confidence. We need to beat someone and beating NC State should not qualify as being “back.” But, we can tell something is just a smidge… different… about this Hoosier team for the better.

Even though it’s on a different level, it’s similar to what UK fans experienced at the beginning of the Coach Cal era. Cal comes in after the suckitude that was the bathroom stall-jailing Billy Gillispie-era. Even with the great recruiting class that came here with Cal, the Cats were down to the final seconds against Miami, giving up 92 at home against Sam Houston State and culmintating with playing an overtime game in a Mexican ballroom (one last middle finger from Billy Clyde) against Stanford. We all could tell these Cats looked a smidge different even though it hadn’t been proven yet. Guarded confidence.

Then Cal’s kids had their first real chance to validate what we thought we were seeing. It was time to play then-No. 11 North Carolina.

And the historic 28-2 run happened. And even thought they had to “hold on” to beat Daggum Roy, we all knew right then and there…

The Cats were back.

Like I said, it’s on a different level. We have no John Wall, we have no DeMarcus Cousins, but us Hoosier fans are where the Cats fans were before that North Carolina game in December of ’09. We’re salivating over the chance to play a damn good opponent on our home floor because this is the best that this team has looked in what feels like an eternity.

Yes, the Zeller parents wearing the crappy two-toned “We’re the Zeller parents, look at us” t-shirts was embarrassing, but so is Beisner’s wardrobe on KSTV. So, in my book, we’re even.

And for one weekend, I can say this affectionately, without malice and certainly without any guilt… I hope we hand it to your candy-asses on Saturday. Ha! And if we do… wait a minute… WHEN we do, I’ll be dusting off my photoshopping skillz and putting Matt Jones on the back of a motorcycle in the Cream and Crimson candy-striped pants with Tom Crean in the drivers seat (Dear God, make this happen).

Shoutouts to Fake Barney, Lachlan McLean, Fake David Beckham, JT, Tony Vanetti and the Sklar Brothers and always remember, I WAS THE FIRST THAT TOLD YOU GUYS CHESTER WAS FAKE!

In all seriousness, thanks for letting me be a part from afar. I miss you guys!

R.I.P. Bryan The Intern

Article written by Drew Franklin

35 Comments for Big EZ talks Kentucky vs. Indiana

1. David Elswick
    11:20 am December 9, 2011 Permalink

Nice! Good one by EZ!

2. ZRowe
    11:25 am December 9, 2011 Permalink

Nice post EZ! You make Indiana fans seem a little more logical. However, you said it best, “No, We don’t have a John Wall…” You have Hulls. That’s a big difference! Cats pull away in last 10 minutes and win by 18.

3. tootie
    11:27 am December 9, 2011 Permalink

Is this an IU site now? Pathetic

4. RP_McMurphy
    11:27 am December 9, 2011 Permalink

Poor Skank Loooie fans missing their Albert(a).

5. Bottoms
    11:31 am December 9, 2011 Permalink

I live in southern indiana and if we lose saturday i may end my life. Everyone i grew up around is iu fans. and i just couldnt take it

6. wildcatfan11
    11:34 am December 9, 2011 Permalink

your right. its not the same. not even close and your wrong, indiana is not back. cats by 15. you say be nice to iu fans but i was there 2 years ago when ky won and iu fans are nowhere near nice!

7. Big Blue 66
    11:40 am December 9, 2011 Permalink

same pompous, we are back BS. You have to qualify everything because you dont have the balls to just say what you really delusionally think. Guess what, IU had a coach and an era and has never had a real program, deal with that. So delusional, you guys think Zeller at #30 player is John Wall….get a grip and understand your place in the pecking order of college bball.

8. Don
    11:41 am December 9, 2011 Permalink

suck it bti

9. R K Oates
    11:43 am December 9, 2011 Permalink

I can’t believe I read this! Low down dirty snitches!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!

10. Polar Pop Shake
    11:44 am December 9, 2011 Permalink

This was awesome. Pegs Indiana’s optimism well.

11. VIIChamps
    11:51 am December 9, 2011 Permalink

VII is still trying to figure out what is going on. Back in the 80’s my dad used to pray UK beat IU. Apparently it was a rivalry back then. VII had no problem with the Hoosiers until this week. They were just the team across the river that local news gave some coverage to because the Ohio River didn’t stop the Louisville television signals.

Now all the sudden these candy stripers are talking crazy smack. Aren’t you guys the ones with the Coach that went bonkers after finally beating UK during the Gillespie experiment ??? Didn’t Pitino start bitching your beloved RMKnight ??? You clowns can one decent recruit (that couldn’t even start for UK’s team) and all the sudden your relevant. Well, IU enjoy your 10 minutes of fame cause that’s all it’s gonna last. After that you’ll be down 20 as UK parks the starts with 3 minutes to go and the only drama is whether or not UK’s walk ons will score.

The good news is you get to look forward to a couple losses by Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan and maybe a split with the Illini. 10 losses and no quality wins puts IU again where they belong… the NIT.

12. Wildcat Fan #1
    11:53 am December 9, 2011 Permalink

Why would any Wildcat fan decide to post this crap on KSR? Hey, if you need more posts like this, I’m sure you can find them on the ISR, site similar to KSR, yet they don’t post love toward UK there.

13. one-n-done
    11:54 am December 9, 2011 Permalink

Look big guy, there is no way you can cheer for something in candystripes. we all know you dont waste time looking at somthing like that you just eat it! hope you bet big for those loosiers!

14. jk
    11:57 am December 9, 2011 Permalink

I miss EZ on the show. This week would have been even more fun with him on.

15. Imthedaddy
    12:10 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

Why do I feel like KSR is setting us up for a , “I told you so”? Seems like you’re trying to justify a UK loss! I’m over hearing from delusional IU fans. How bout some more commentary on how IU doesn’t match up with UK, regardless of what planet you live on?

16. UKgirlinVA
    12:15 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

UK over IU 85-73!! Bring It ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins
    12:22 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

Wait….he called Kentucky “candy-asses”….I’m pretty sure the Hoosiers are the ones walking around wearing candy pants.

18. PUNT PUNT
    12:23 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

who is bryan the intern??

19. jacocat
    12:29 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

Sounds like big ez is a fair weather fan that is butt hurt because B K got fired!!

20. GapToothDanny
    12:36 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

I’m gonna dredge up one of Cawood’s homespun sayings here, especially appropriate for December:
    If “ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we’d all have a Merry Christmas”
    IU fans can keep that in mind when the game is over and they are mulling over what might have happened if only…
    Smack talk and name-calling (by the fans), although tremendous fun, have never affected a game. Only the guys that suit up and play will determine winners & losers.
    Merry Christmas,hoosiers!

21. #1 Tyler Fan
    12:55 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

Is this the same Big EZ that was on those MTV Challenge shows?

22. Chris Thomas
    1:28 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

COME HOME, ZACH

23. Hal
    1:28 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

tough for anyone to believe EZ only “actively roots against UK” for just this one game. if you ever heard more than 5 minutes of his pre-KSR radio show all they was rip on UK fans. and moreso than they ever talked IU/UofL sports.

24. Chubby Chaser
    1:29 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

Big EZ is hotttttttt! That short blond hair, blue eyes and beautiful smile. What a lucky woman Ms. Big EZ must be.

25. youknow
    1:37 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

Hilarious. Nice post EZ

26. Louisville Sports Radio
    2:28 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

Ah the good ole days when EZ, Bacon Bits, and Sweeney made you want to drive your car off a cliff….I can’t believe EZ and Sweeney are still allowed a voice in any market.

27. All the CRISPY you can eat on New Year's Eve
    2:47 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

#23 “Tough?” How ’bout “totalBS”? Listen to his friends Lach McClain (“Rajon Rondo can’t average 10 RB’s a Game as a freshman at UK, BEFORE Rondo gets 10 RBs in his first 4 UK games. “John Wall is Overhyped”. “Since Terrence Jones got 52 in the BLUE/WHITE, Anthony Davis must not be any good!”). AND, Tony Vanetti ( who HAS to be Jock Sutherland’s son). Don’t send him Christams shopping. He doesn’t know what a Football or a Basketball looks like.
    Why didn’t he shout out to Rick Bozich at the IU Student Paper?

But, I GET IT! He’s an old FRIEND of KSR, and although it meams more to us than anyone, it still is a game.Having said that… BEAT IU!!!

28. Rick Edwards, Fern Creek, KY. The Mayor Of Crawdad Town
    2:53 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

#26 Living in Fern Creek, KY, I was wondering what a “Louisville Sports Radio” is? Do they sell them around here? You know we have the largest Wally World on 3 planets here!
    What’s the whole concept? Are they trying to get Pitino’s voice to be heard , without anyone realizing that his mouth was moving?

29. tom
    3:21 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

What a waste of space. If I wanted to hear someone drone on and on about IU, I would visit a bar in Indy.

30. Poco Chang
    3:48 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

Ha ha. EZ roots against UK every week.

Next guest writer will be that Renshaw dude.

31. iWantToBeTheDrewFranklin
    8:22 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

We can’t lose, I would never hear the end of it.

32. the cheif
    9:02 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

Zachary, this article is surprisingly interesting and somewhat witty. Who really wrote this?

33. CUK02
    10:14 pm December 9, 2011 Permalink

Seriously? This site blows. Let’s get some Duke and UNC fans to write on here soon…because there aren’t enough UK fans who would love to do it. Get this fatas$ out of here. Doooouche.

34. Bart Edwards
    1:54 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

Why did my earlier post questioning who this lame guy is get deleted? A dozen other subsequent posters have made the same observation I did — that this guy is just weak, and the post was a waste. Was it because I also pointed out how atrocious his Hoosier grammar was? If you can’t withstand that kind of post, you are going to start losing readers fast. Grow up, whoever is pretending to moderate the site.

35. Jdaws
    2:34 am December 10, 2011 Permalink

Tony Vanetti’s name should never be mentioned on UK website. Get the f(#) outta here you slob.