Big Blue Nation from Coast to Coast (Part II): Chicago

The Pony Inn Celebrates #8

The Pony Inn Celebrates #8

The following post is Part II of a series of posts highlighting some of the most unique UK fan groups from around the country. If you belong to any kind of UK fan group or organization (official or unofficial) that meets regularly for games or other regularly scheduled meetings, email me at [email protected] and tell me your story. Where are you located? How did the group get started? What is interesting or unique about your group of UK fans?

Today’s featured group are the UK fans that gather together for every game at a Chicago bar named The Pony Inn. The next group I will feature is a group that meets up at Zeke’s Sports Bar in San Francisco.

If you missed Part I of the series, click here to read about the Ohio UK Convention.

Today’s submission comes from UK Alum Kim Parks in Chicago, an avid follower of the Cats at Chicago’s Pony Inn.  She writes the following:

If you have ever spoken to anyone that has been to a UK game at The Pony in Chicago then you will know that it is the place to be on gamedays. For the big games, we absolutely pack the place with hundreds of UK fans. They play the fight song before, during and after the game and some other songs that have grown to be a tradition there (for whatever reason, Party in the USA is always played immediately after the buzzer sounds…I have no idea how/why it started but we’ve been doing it for 3 years and its now expected).

There’s nothing specifically unique or interesting about it, except for the fact that we are in Big Ten land. In Chicago, all the schools have their “bar” and it took us years to finally find one that wasn’t a total dump and would take us in (and one that would be loyal to us during football season and not sell out to a Big Ten school who would without a doubt pack the place). Oh and the owners are Kansas alum.

The Pony is a great bar and the UK fans have a blast during the season. Check out their Facebook page for pictures from the 2012 season.

I did give the Pony Inn Facebook page a look, and their UK albums are full of pictures with “UK Fans of the Day” written all over them, like this one:

If you’re ever in Chicago while the Cats are playing, come see these ladies at the Pony Inn!

Article written by John Wilmhoff

Former beer vendor, college mascot and ESPN editor. This spring, you can also find me blogging about the Reds on blogredmachine.com. Follow me on Twitter: @JohnWilmhoff

13 Comments for Big Blue Nation from Coast to Coast (Part II): Chicago

1. Catlanta 91
    2:39 pm July 29, 2012 Permalink

2. blurishturr
    2:55 pm July 29, 2012 Permalink

Why is it in the top pic and the 2 blondes on the front row isn’t ready for the pic and I think one is pregent(girl in the right corner)

3. chitown wildcat
    3:09 pm July 29, 2012 Permalink

ive been a cats fan for 37years and had gone to the NC each time before 2012. This year we were at the pony on championship nite- thats me and my family in the 5th row of pictures on the far right- im the old man with all the kids. It was a great time- one ill never forget. Absent being in Catlanta, it couldnt have been better !

4. Swoony
    3:10 pm July 29, 2012 Permalink

I made sure to stop by The Pony during my last trip to Chicago and caught a UK game. It’s a great bar, clean, UK represented througout, awesome food and an obvious BIG BLUE crowd! I give it 8 banners up!

5. Economonster
    4:01 pm July 29, 2012 Permalink

Oh yeah, The Pony is awesome. I’ve been there the past two years when I’ve visited Chicago. It’s about a half-hour train ride out from downtown plus a little walk. TOTALLY worth it, GREAT joint!

6. Random Nibbler
    4:51 pm July 29, 2012 Permalink

This guy was there that night.

7. UK Freshmen
    5:13 pm July 29, 2012 Permalink

U. G. L. Y. You ain’t got no alibi!!

8. Waldn Schmidt
    6:56 pm July 29, 2012 Permalink

Bottom picture ——- yes and hell yes.

9. the Big Dog
    9:18 pm July 29, 2012 Permalink

I think the blonde in the first picture looks like she can handle those two beers.

10. Face
    10:35 pm July 29, 2012 Permalink

No wonder you guys think your girls are hot, them boys would scare the sh!t off a pitchfork.

11. Chicago Cat
    11:13 am July 30, 2012 Permalink

I was at the other end of the bar that night! I live in the city and bought a place that is conveniently located on the same block as The Pony. We had some friends in from Frankfort one weekend and told them they could either tour Chicago or we could go to The Pony and watch the UK/Miss St. football game. We ended up playing flip cup with random Kentuckians… felt like I was in the Blue Lot.

12. Kristen
    3:27 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Whenever I visit family in Chicago and there is a UK game on this is where we go and it is a blast! It’s much more fun than anywhere you could go in Louisville to watch a KY game, you feel like you’re at a bar in Lexington. Last time I was there was back in February and I ran into J.P. Blevins. OH, and the waffle fry nachos are a must have!

13. Derby
    10:15 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Was there for #8 and watched [email protected] Pony the last two years. BBN in Chicago!