Big Ass Rupp Arena?

bigassrupparena

One of the popular suggestions for a corporate sponsor for Rupp Arena has been Big Ass Fans, the Lexington-based fan manufacturer. Big Ass Fans jumped on board that bandwagon this morning by posting this picture on their Facebook page, with the caption: “We hear they are considering renaming Rupp Arena after the big remodel is completed. We may have an idea or two.”

If you’re listening to the radio show, you heard Lexington mayor Jim Gray say that they will only sell the naming rights to Rupp Arena if there is no other way to finance the renovation. We’ll hold you to that, mayor.

If this ends up being the last resort, I’m all in for “Big Ass Rupp Arena.”

55 Comments for Big Ass Rupp Arena?

1. Whiny Traditionalist
    11:34 am July 12, 2013 Permalink

Do we HAVE to sell out and put a corporate sponsor in the arena’s name?

2. Names are changing
    11:38 am July 12, 2013 Permalink

If it has to be renamed I am all down for big ass Rupp Arena or Rupp Arenas big ass

3. believeblue
    11:38 am July 12, 2013 Permalink

I was hoping Hugh Jass Burgers would buy the rights. Hugh Jass Rupp Arena has a nice ring to it.

4. Names are changing
    11:39 am July 12, 2013 Permalink

Does this mean we get free big ass fans in Rupp??

5. Ridge Runner
    11:39 am July 12, 2013 Permalink

I knew that lady in Row 8 with season tickets was gonna get her due…

6. Mark
    11:42 am July 12, 2013 Permalink

5, lol

7. old man
    11:44 am July 12, 2013 Permalink

Can’t wait for the fat jokes from around the country if it is named after Big Ass Fans.

8. TrueBlue1102
    11:47 am July 12, 2013 Permalink

If they were ever going to put a corporate name in front of Rupp Arena, this would be the ONLY scenario that I would be ok with.

9. JIMMIEUKFAN
    11:53 am July 12, 2013 Permalink

Whatever happened to seats with backs in the upper arena? I thought that was part of the renovation but I didn’t see any info about it from the press conference the other day.

10. Bobbum man
    11:53 am July 12, 2013 Permalink

This would be awesome

11. Andrew
    11:53 am July 12, 2013 Permalink

I would love this name!!! “Welcome to Big Ass Rupp Arena, home of yoooooouuuurrrrrrr Kentucky Wildcats!!!!!!”

12. buzzard
    11:54 am July 12, 2013 Permalink

Rupp is the sole of Kentucky Basketball. We shouldn’t sell the sole of UK Basketball to a corporation. The University of Kentucky Wildcats should play in Rupp Arena.. end of debate. I wonder how many people would sell the ‘naming rights’ to their children? How bout Matt ‘Walmart’ Jones? He could get a free lifetime supply of cheap shit made in China!

13. Rupp's Bottle
    11:55 am July 12, 2013 Permalink

Given Adolph’s proclivity for a bottle, I vote something with bourbon.

14. Are UKidding Me
    11:56 am July 12, 2013 Permalink

These are the times we live in, and money rules the day. But… Is nothing sacred? I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I would rather leave Rupp as is than sell the naming rights. The name “Rupp Arena” is legendary, and so is the building.

15. blueinbardstown
    11:57 am July 12, 2013 Permalink

This would be great! Ridge, that made me laugh out loud.

16. Chicago
    12:04 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

Regarding Jim Gray’s comment — Ryan made a point on the radio that if a company offered $10m for naming rights, why wouldn’t they take it? That’s true… this expansive project will need as much financial support as possible, so if it’s between cutting down the scope of their plans, and having an extra $10m to finance a broader program scope, they’ll take the money. And I don’t see a problem with that.

17. BOURBON TOWN CAT FAN
    12:06 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

If that falls through, maybe Hugh Jass Burgers can be the sponsor.

18. Sam Lawrence
    12:09 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

Let’s change the name to “Rupp Hall”.

19. jpgott2
    12:11 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

To those that are saying they want to ‘keep the name what it is’, and to ‘not mess with tradition’, I say get your pocket books out and make a donation.

It is all about finding the funding for the renovations, so if the money is not there to complete said plans, then UK will be forced to find some form of external support, ergo they will look for a sponsor.

It all has to add up.

20. Free stuff
    12:18 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

12. I would gladly change my name to Wal-Mart if I got free groceries for life. Just sayin

21. truBLU
    12:23 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

Rupp Ass Arena

22. chief_cat
    12:34 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

I would prefer it remain simply Rupp Arena too, but if funding is needed for the project, selling the naming rights is a better alternative than more taxes! For those commenting on the name being sacred and why would “we” sell the name, remember “we” nor the university own Rupp. Rupp and the entire Lexington Center is owned by the Lexington Center Corporation. While ties between LCC and the university run deep, the university cannot stop LCC from making decisions that work best for the corporation. This is why the university explored the possibility of building an on campus arena. Unfortunately, that option was too costly.

Hopefully we’ll end up with a modernized Rupp with no name change and without major tax increases! But it’s going to be hard to limit those increases unless other funding is found. Selling the naming rights to LCC and to the arena are two such options.

If the naming rights are going to be sold, I would jump on the bandwagon supporting a bourbon name. Not that it could happen, but wouldn’t it be great if it was Basil Hayden’s Rupp Arena? I’m sure Adolph would approve!

23. Wildcat
    12:41 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

As Adolf Rupp rolls in his grave

24. Blackhawk
    12:42 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

Nobody will want to be on the Big Ass Fan Cam.

25. UK Fan #5
    12:48 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

RUPPS BIG ASS ARENA!!!! Still has Rupp and rolls off the tongue better.

26. BlueDeuce
    12:51 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

Naming rights is a small price to pay to get a full renovation. I’ve been a UK fan since the mid 70s and I just don’t understand why there is such a debate on this especially when the name will most likely include RUPP ARENA still. As someone else already stated, don’t like it having another name, open your check books! Me…I’m fine with it being called BIG COMPANY RUPP ARENA because no matter what the name is, it’ll always be Rupp to me.

Now the next question would be, had UK decided (and found funding other than selling naming rights) to build on campus and NOT name the new building Rupp Arena, what would be your thoughts on that? I wouldn’t care what they named it either.

Tradition is just that, tradition…the past. It’s all the past, move forward and lead or step aside and let someone else.

27. Jazzenl
    12:53 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

Beats Yum Arena

28. LOL
    12:57 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

New Arena:
    Cal’s White Castle

29. SD
    1:14 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

Why would we name the arena after Rick Pitino?

30. TrailerTrash
    1:24 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

Sonny’s Open Pit Barbecue Rupp Arena

31. Thrashitup
    1:30 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

Someone threw out a suggestion the other day of getting a kickstarter campaign together. It seemed like an offhand comment, but I see no reason that BBN couldn’t put together $10 mil to keep the name Rupp Arena.

32. Smitty
    1:30 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

19 – UK will be forced to do nothing since the city is doing the project. The city wants a new convention center and park… Not UK. The naming rights for the arena will go to pay for a park with streams…. That won’t enhance the game day experience because no one will hang out in a park at the end of January before a 9 pm tipoff.

33. DH
    1:38 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

12) Rupp is the bottom of the shoe of Kentucky Basketball?

34. CatsfaninFL
    1:51 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

#33, he’ll never understand what you mean… those homophone’s are tricky sometimes… 🙂

35. TheBigToe
    1:53 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

Camelot East Rupp Arena.

36. Daniel Orton's Escape Goat
    2:02 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

I’m not advocating for Rupp to be renamed, however if it was actually done I can’t imagine any company getting more bang for their buck than Big Ass Fans would. Think about it, every single game the announcers would almost always have end up explaining the name to the viewers so that they could explain why the name is that. I think it would happen so often that it might even become a bit of a running joke for us “did you know ‘Big Ass Fans’ is a name of a company in Lexington?” similar to the “did you know Anthony Davis was a point guard?”

37. coleman gaines
    2:03 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

I vote for The Chicken Ranch Rupp arena. Then the private boxes could serve a dual purpose.

38. malik newman
    2:22 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

I say we call it “Chick-Fil-A Rupp Arena” in support of anti-gay rights!! HOO-RAHH!

39. bs
    2:29 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

Orange Leaf Rupp Arena

40. Honky Kong
    2:36 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

Spearmint Rhino Rupp Arena

41. UKfan
    2:46 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

38 or 39

42. YSR2KSR
    2:51 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

big ass prolly isnt large enough to pay for the naming rights all by itself. maybe they could partner with another company to make it happen. imagine…presented to u live by ‘ups the big ass rupp arena’

43. Big Blue Since Birth
    2:53 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

Stupid name. I don’t want to hear all the chatter and explanations for the next ___ years.

44. Brandon
    3:02 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

Trashy name

45. Ibrunswick
    3:10 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

Rump Arena.

46. KentuckyJAM
    3:19 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

I’m all for “Big Ass Rupp Arena”! Bring it on. Adds a new layer of fun to a storied arena, plus it’s an in-city company. If they’re willing to pony up the money and make it happen, awesome.

For those who might complain that it reflects poorly on the university to be associated with such a name, it’s best to remember that while UK will be a primary tenant of the arena, they won’t be the sole user.

47. TrailerTrash
    3:26 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

Sir Pizza Rupp Arena

48. PhilUK18
    3:31 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

Rupp Arena at the Altech Center is something close to what I think it’ll end up being, if they go that route. I wouldn’t have many complaints about that, a nice local corporation. Lexmark might be interested too I would think

49. icantspell
    4:18 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

#12 Sole is a fish.

50. John
    6:19 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

I work for Big Ass Fans and we could definatley afford the naming rights. Our company pulled in $90 million alone last year.

51. maddogmitchell55
    6:52 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

Personally, if naming rights have to be sold I’d like to see a corporate sponsor agree to blend their name or slogan with Rupp Arena or UK’s history such as Big Ass Rupp Arena. Or as 25 said Rupp’s Big Ass Arena.

Others I like are Milk and their slogan combined with Rupp for Rupp Arena ~ Got Eight? Of course after UK wins #9, 10, etc… the name can be updated and kept fresh. Some advertising guru could figure out a way to mix Crown Royal with UK’s royal blue color with Rupp Arena. Or Royal Crown (RC) cola and royal blue. Maybe even both together for some sort of a mixed drink and royal blue together with Rupp Arena. I know, Canadian based Crown Royal getting naming rights on Rupp Arena would be blasphemy in the bourbon capital of the world, but you get the idea…

52. Jack Irons
    6:54 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

RUPP arena sucked. Whatever you do to it, you can’t fork it up.

Loved Freedom Hall. Fok’n Todd Red screwed that sheet up (with some help…from UK alums).

Freedom Hall was a palace.

Whatever the SEATTLE ARCHITECTS (????) do for RUPP….will be an improvement.

I like florescent lightning in the MORGUE.

NOT an arena.

And that farking abysmal audio NASAnal iceberg hanging from the ceiling.

53. C. E. Newton
    7:53 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

Thing is Mr. Mayor, naming rights revenue will have nothing to do with financing the construction as you know. It will already be built by the time the first annual $2 million (or so) payment is received.

Naming rights money will be used to help service the debt by supplementing operational revenue on an on-going basis so his claim/pledge this morning to Matt was little more than a red herring.

54. bigassfanfan
    11:08 pm July 12, 2013 Permalink

#52…Uhhmmmmm WHAT????

55. FedUp
    12:03 am July 13, 2013 Permalink

I do not know who told Jim Gray that he would be good on the radio, but they (he) were wrong. I have never heard more double talk, and phoniness. I would not be surprised if it hurt his efforts to get re-elected as mayor.