Best UK Sports Memories with your Father

jthompson
Thanks, Dad.

I think I speak for many of us when I say that I became a Kentucky fan because of my father. From a very early age, my father and I would spend hours watching football and basketball games on the television and when we were lucky, in person. We enjoyed it so much that in my teenage years, my dad got season tickets for football and whatever basketball games we could (in a cruel twist of fate, once I moved to college, he got basketball season tickets). We taped all the tournament games during the 1998 Championship run and pretty much wore the tapes out we watched them so often. During tough times, we can always turn to sports to get us through.

Almost all of my favorite Kentucky sports memories happened with my father at my side, the most memorable including:

– Tayshaun’s five threes vs. UNC in 2001
– “Stevie got loose!” Kentucky’s upset over #9 Louisville in 2007
– 2010 SEC Tournament in Nashville
– 2012 NCAA Basketball Championship in New Orleans…oh wait. 🙂

What’s your favorite UK sports memory with your father?

51 Comments for Best UK Sports Memories with your Father

1. AKA cold buckets
    4:06 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

LSU football game in ’07. We were gettin’ stupid loose.

2. Catlantaman
    4:14 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

As a student in ’92, I was able to get 2 student tickets for the NCAA East Regional Finals in Philadelphia. After obtaining a fake student ID for my dad, I called him and told him to clear his schedule because we were heading to Philly. We were second row, courtside – Jeff Brassow had the seats next to us (he was injured & red shirt that season). Well all know what happened…no need to recap, but we had a great time. Even the 10 hour drive home in the middle of the night with 2 grown men literally crying is a great memory. I’m happy to have shared it with my Dad.

3. Attending?
    4:16 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Love you dad !

4. Tony Radden
    4:27 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

On the way to Indy for the Big 4 Classic in the late 80’s, Dad gave me the sex talk. Fortunately, Notre Dame’s cheerleaders were there when we arrived, allowing me to forget about sex completely.

5. Blue Through & Through
    4:27 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Yep- my dad also showed me the love of Big Blue Sports. I remember going to the Mideast Regional Final win ’75 in Dayton against undefeated Indiana to avenge an earlier lop-sided loss and how much fun the ride home done I-75 was! (Runnin’ about 80 in a motorhome); many trips to Tennessee to watch the Cats in Stokley and getting to experience the ’78 championship in St Louis. Things I’ll never forget and hope to pass on the passion instilled in me by my dad to my kids.

6. big dog trucker
    4:36 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

my dad took me to watch my first uk football game in 98. It was tim couch’s last home game as a wildcat. The game was awesome cats won and the entire crowd was chanting one more year to couch. I cant wait to share moments like that with my little boy

7. Nick
    4:37 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

2003 Florida @ Kentucky game, we’ve been to games at Rupp over 200 times but that’s as loud as I’ve ever heard the place

8. Yes
    4:37 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

I was at the LSU Louisville and South Carolina game with my father

9. bt
    4:42 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Maui finals when Jeff Brassow had the tip in to when the game thanks DAD.

10. eric
    4:46 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

my father and i went to rick pitonos first reg season game in rupp against ohio u. I will always remember the big blue 3 signs in every seat. Go Big Blue

11. SadbutTrue
    4:48 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Walking out of the Florida game and hearing the crowd erupt as our feet hit painted line pavement. Tim Tebow got sacked / destroyed / knocked the fudge out by the one man wrecking crew Taylor Wyndham, and we missed it together.

12. GMo
    4:54 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

I’d say the Ced. Jenkins tip in against Loserville. Me and dad in our ole top level row N seats, place was elecctric………or just driving to Lexington listening to Cawood’s pregame every game when I was a kid…………Thanks dad for driving up there all those days and coming home and getting up before daylight to farm the next morning.

13. Kate
    4:56 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

My Dad had 5 daughters, no sons. He raised us all to be sports fans, especially UK. He was a old country music guy and didn’t know anything about rock. When we won the 96 championship, I ran to my car, got the Queen cassette and played ‘We are the Champions’. He loved the song and thought it was written for the University of Kentucky! He had never heard it before. We all got a good laugh out of it. Miss you Dad!

14. gridironmyron
    4:57 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

My dad went home to watch the UK/UT basketball game on March 5, 1966 while my mother was at the hospital getting ready to give birth to me. At least he had his priorities straight.

15. CatsFan
    5:00 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Nice blog Tyler!

16. SexnNursinHomes
    5:02 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

ahhhh, I remember when I was 8 and my dad gave me Natural Light with the pull back tabs, and man I remembered getting “Happy Feet” before UK football games. 8 and hammered and watching UK football lose in the early 80’s. What memories.

17. Blue Virus
    5:12 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Were we not ranked in the top 10 at one point during the ’07 football season? If so, that has to be at the top along with the glorious run of the late 90’s in basketball (96-98)

18. Les W
    5:13 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

The only UK football game that my dad ever got to attend was the South Carolina game that Moe Williams went wild in. My dad died soon after. I will never forget that game and that day. In fact, I still have the ticket stubb.

19. Old Henry Man
    5:17 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

My best memory is watching the 1975 IU-UK Regional Finals.
    I was only 10, but we cheered the whole game.

20. KDSlone
    5:27 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

This is easy. My first game with dad (RIP) was seeing King Rex hit a double-clutch jumper just inside the top of the key for the game winner against Ole Miss. Nothing could top that one after…

21. whodatcat ?
    5:36 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

At a UK-Notre Dame game at Freedom Hall, spent two hours yelling at Digger, then after the game (UK win) a ND fan ran up to us waveing his ND flag, then my dad snatched it away and tossed it lol. Great times !!!!

22. cpacat
    6:27 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Not exactly the tone of the blog, but took my son to his first UK football game last year…lower bowl seats to see UK beat USC!! And oh yeah, we ran onto the field!! Think that will be a memory for him…

23. d wool
    6:36 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

SEC finals in Atlanta against Arkansas. Rodrick missed the free throws. We came back in overtime. I left came back. He left, then came back. Or, UK vs. Uconn in MSG.

24. YearyCat
    7:01 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

My dad was diagnosed with brain cancer last July. So coming into the this past season we had an idea it would be his last. While watching the South Carolina game on t.v and the look on his face after the interception was just priceless and after the North Carolina game we ran into his room and told him we was going to the Final Four again was great. He passed away the morning of the Championship game, it would have been hard to watch them in the championship with him gone. Thanks Dad for introducing me and my brother to the greatest team in the history of sports, we know you will be watching the Cats next year in Heaven.

25. bluesweat
    7:09 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Stevie got “loose” win vs little bro.

26. ribin
    7:17 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Back in late 50’s -early 60’s going to UK games — sitting in endzone – just sweet memories –

27. tha dude
    7:18 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Mom introduced me to UK athletics cause she worked for them in the 70’s-80’s, but dad is a former athlete, and he calls me after every football and b-ball game, and we vent to each other, i love it, and wouldnt trade it for anything.. he called me while i was in houston after that uconn game… but i didnt answer, i returned the call the next day and all he said was wait for next year… And now, i cant wait.. So every call that i get from dad after UK sports events are my best UK sports memories…

28. Noname plz
    7:26 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Dec. 1967 UK played Notre Dame at Freedom Hall. I got tickets for us. My dad got drunk. I have not good memories of Uk with my father. Maybe if I had been a boy I would have good memories, however, I love my Cats as much as any man.

29. ednunn
    7:53 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Donning hardhats and walking into Rupp while under construction to see where our seats were located. Dad carried a clipboard so all the workers thought we were “somebody” so no one questioned us.

30. happychandlersvocalchords
    8:37 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Camping out with my Pops to get tickets for Big Blue Madness in 09 for Coach Cal’s first season. We got to meet all the players, the Pep band woke us up with the fight song, and I got to spend some time with my old man. Another one that I hope one day my son will share is waking him up for the second half of the UT game when Jodie went for 54…maybe my son will be as crazy as the rest of us! GO CATS!

31. bigbluecats350
    8:49 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

my best basketball memory was in 1992 when the Unforgettables came to Nelson Co. high school for basically the equivalent of the “barn storming tour”. I still have the program somewhere. Football would be in the mid 90s i think when UK beat S.C. It was a messed up score i think like 19-16 or something

32. Caddie14
    8:57 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Kentucky beating Spurrier for the first time at home upsetting #10 SC. Having blue in your blood is something other fans cant understand. GO Big Blue!

33. Russell Quick
    9:28 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

My first memories of my Dad and UK is when I was a kid in the 1940’s. He would go into the bedroom and listen to the games and I would keep score for him. The first football game he took me to was UK-Villanova at Stoll Field which we won 25-0. The first basketball game he took me to was a record setting game that still stands. It was at Louisville Gardens and we beat Georgia 143-66. The last basketball game we watched together was also a record setter. It was the comeback game against L. S. U. in Baton Rouge. He did shortly after.

Russell Quick

34. UK_Teresa
    10:29 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

My dad always watched the Cat play every game when I was growing up. He taught me the starting line up, who played what position, and taught me how to complain about the game but still love the team. Even now when I’m grown with my own two kids, I call him after every game to talk about how they played. And it warms my heart to hear my four yr old daughter talk to her “Poppy” about how her John Wall or, this past year, Brandon Knight played. In the BBN, we treat bleeding blue as part of our heritage and pass it down.

35. Brad Catlett
    10:36 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

I have 2:
    First, UK (Ron Mercer and Derrick Anderson) totally destroying Tim Thomas and ‘Nova at Rupp. I believe it was a #2 vs #5 matchup. It was the first time my dad and I went to a UK game together. Second, when I moved to Texas my dad drove from Lawrenceburg to pick me up in Dallas and then on to Little Rock. We watched Kentucky hang in and lose to Arkansas on a last second pass from Couch to Tamme in the back of the end zone. The fans at Arkansas were great after the game to two UK fans in full UK blue. It was an awesome road trip with my dad.

36. southeastUKfan1
    10:37 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Beating LSU in 2007 is my all time favorite memory with Dad. He and Mom got me the tickets for my 19th Birthday present. We beat LSU the day of my birthday. Two season later we went in as partners on season tickets after we watched another big win the following year against Arkansas. My Dad really got me hooked on college football, and I hope Kentucky someday makes every night of the season an LSU night.

37. BigCatDaddy4263
    10:52 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

My dad making me go to bed early, then waking me up when the CATS came on the delayed Television to watch the CATS and him disecting the game for me…

38. David b
    10:59 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

My father took me to bball games from the time I was born and we the fall rise and fall of Sutton and the renaissance of bball under Pitino together from the nose bleeds. Not just the LSU wins, but the win before that when the students started a “we want LSU” chant during the last part of the game. But…He always took me to UK football games too. Losing to almost everyone. Blown out by all the SEC big boys. Got to see Emmit run toward me into the end zone about 50 times. Got to watch us get whipped by every good UT player ever. In Knoxville. Saw us lose, with Pookie at QB, in Nashville. Saw the Florida/Doering game when we picked Weurfel off-I think- 6 times. Mark Higgs still trying to get over the goal line on UT. UK beating East Carolina 6-3 in the rain and mud. Many more. My dad taught me what being a sports fan means. It was a huge budget burden that I now fully understand and probably couldn’t justify myself to get those tickets and get us to those games but that’s what he did. For his birthday last year I targeted the South Carolina football game. I watched the UofL game with him in 2007 and picked him up and carried him like a rag doll when Stevie got loose, but when Cobb got that pass in the end zone- where he likes to sit and we were- was top ten moments of my life. I am gettin choked up thinking about it. Go Cats. I love you Pa.

39. Rick
    11:05 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Sitting right behind the goal as Boogie hit the shot to go into overtime in the Sec tourney. I won the tickets , my 72 year old dad and myself were like two kids. It was an unbelievable memory. One I will never forget. Best game I’ve ever seen live.

40. strikecaller
    11:28 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Nothing specific but listening to the basketball games in the late 60’s-70’s in Dad’s basement office. He had a way of keeping score on a steno pad.

41. Sexington
    11:40 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Bueatiful stories guys. This is why the cats mean so much to each and everyone of us

42. Don Hobbs
    12:22 am June 20, 2011 Permalink

1985 We left from Cincinnati on a January Thursday night with snow predicted to see UK play LSU,
    it did not begin to snow until during the game (8:00 start). UK won but we drove home at 35 mph in a heavy snow storm taking twice as long as it usually did (arriving at 2 AM). We both agreed that it wasn’t real wise to do what we did but it was worth it.
    Seeing UK beat UofL and Illinois in the 1984 MidEast Regional to go to the Final Four was also a highlight for both of us.

43. gettinluckyinkentucky
    7:37 am June 20, 2011 Permalink

i would have to go with 98 i believe, when magloire and wojo got tangled up for a loose ball. Dad being a man that never broke character, screamin, “breakin his damn back.”

44. 78 NCAA Champions
    8:48 am June 20, 2011 Permalink

I loved reading these comments. Good job to everyone.

45. UKfanNKY
    9:38 am June 20, 2011 Permalink

So many memories. Going Stoll field, Huddle House across the street from Stoll field and getting a huge plate of french fries for a quarter!! Meeting the 1967 basketball team at the Lex. airport and getting my picture taken with my Brother and Sister getting Rupps autograph (which I still have) and picture in the paper. Going to some football games and listen to the basketball CATS on the radio! My biggest and best memory was the last football game I attended with my Dad in his early stages of Alzheimer’s @ 83 yrs. old, it was the 2007 LSU/KY game that KENTUCKY won in three (3)overtimes!! It was such an exciting game and to be able to sit next to my Dad and see his excitment is something I will NEVER forget!! We all of course would go crazy each time KY would score all the fans around us were awesome as you know giving each other high fives and jumping up and down my Dad was sooo funny he would just stand there and with a huge smile on his face and put his hands out in front of him and everyone would come over and give him five. At the end of regulation play Dad looked over at me a said “what the hell do we do now” I said Dad remember they go into overtime they will flip the coin for who gets the ball first and they will get it on the 25 yard line and have four plays to score then the other Team will get a chance to score. Well, as we all know the game went into three (3) overtimes. To say the least I had to explain it to him each overtime!! But to see how excited and the expressions on his face I will NEVER forget it!! Dad’s last football game was a thriller and a winner just like Dad!!! Thanks for everything Dad I love and miss you.

46. Alice Stevenson
    10:21 am June 20, 2011 Permalink

We took my dad to see a UK football game in the early 90’s. They were getting clobbered by Georgia and Eric Zeier (I think) and my dad wanted to leave early in the fourth quarter. So, as we got up to go some stupid Georgia fan called out laughing to my dad “seen enough” and my dad patted him on the shoulder and said “just wait for basketball season.”
    The Georgia fan just shut up, slumped in his chair and turned white. We laughed at him as he sat there. Table turned in two seconds.

47. Carl
    10:48 am June 20, 2011 Permalink

Taking my dad to a UK game in Freedom Hall and him giving some big guy grief for standing in our way during the game (he was 70 yrs old; 5’6″ and abut 175 lb at the time). My dad had a lot of spunk.

48. SoCalCat
    11:19 am June 20, 2011 Permalink

In the late 60’s, the place my dad worked had season tickets at almost the top row of Memorial Coliseum. We got to go to a few games. While my dad was not into athletics, nor a KY boy, it was great to go to the games! Thanks Dad!

49. TruBlu
    2:24 pm June 20, 2011 Permalink

I was one of five girls also. During the time UK played Notre Dame at Freedom Hall every year, in 1972 my dad took me to the game for my birthday. Digger Phelps borrowed Dean Smith’s Four Corner Stall (or Delay)set offense (if you wanna call it that). It was agony but we won by two points. I was so mad but my dad just laughed and said, what more could you ask for, it was a close game and we won!” Thank goodness for the shot clock.

50. Vince
    3:51 pm June 20, 2011 Permalink

4th grade, flew from our home in NY for the regionals in Tampa. Saw UK-UCLA Friday night and then the epic 17 point comeback vs. Duke Sunday afternoon, with my Dad on my left side.

51. Jed
    4:49 pm June 20, 2011 Permalink

My dad took me to alot of games from 78 to 85. Then I started taking him. Last one Uk vs South Cackalacki. Rondo did his thing . Front row seats . Tom Leach spoke to us. Dad’s feet were on Rupps floor. We even said hello to coach Hall. That was his last game. What a memory. I’ll never forget the young lady that was a dance Team member that is now on all the Southern Belle advertisements, during time outs she was standing right in front of dad and at 73 he didn’t mind the view. We laughed about that alot on the ride home. Great memories.