Best Rupp Crowd Ever?

rupp

Well, it’s been three days since UK defeated UNC and I’m still hearing whispers that the crowd was the best ever. These types of things are hard to quantify, though.  First of all, only 24.000 people, for a given game, will truly be able to judge the quality of the crowd.  Of course, as time passes, the number of people who attended the game will grow.  I’m sure if you took a head count of the people who say they attended the game where UK beat LSU in 1990, that number would be in the millions.  Secondly, what constitutes the best crowd?  Is it a game that had a particularly loud moment, is it the quality of the crowd from start to finish, or could it be a memorable stretch of a game?

The question I pose to you, Cat’s fans, is this: What is your choice for best Rupp Arena crowd ever? Base your answer on whichever criteria you seem fitting.  The results of the comments section will be compiled into a killer pie chart.  Relax Winston, it’s not what you think.  My pick is Pitino’s first year back at Rupp coaching the Louisville Cardinals.  That game had some great story lines.  For starters, UK/UL is a great rivalry game regardless of coach.  Add in Pitino’s return and enormous price tag for tickets and you have the greatest crowd in Rupp history.  So, who you got?

Article written by Drew The Employee

202 Comments for Best Rupp Crowd Ever?

1. Captain Obvious
    9:09 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

when we destroyed florida in 2003

2. Captain Obvious
    9:09 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

duh

3. bubbles
    9:09 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Any time there is a crowd where an old lady isn’t knitting in lower arena

4. tfordstyle
    9:11 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

been to both florida 2003 and NC 2001…
    I don’t think there is any doubt the crowd was better this year against UNC

5. Edge
    9:12 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I did not attend the game on Saturday, but my “best crowd” moment was when Maryland came to Rupp and had Stevie Francis. The crowd was on their feet from start to finish and moaning/groaning with every shot. The game went into OT and we pulled it out. The fact that everyone was on their feet and cheering loudly and smacking hands every shot made it special.

6. EEK
    9:12 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I was at the game and it was the best! People were in it the entire time, even older rich people who sometimes sit the entire game were getting into it. it was electric! It was even cool because once the game was over everyone stayed around to cheer and sing My Old Kentucky Home. Hands down best crowd ever!

7. Daedric
    9:12 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I used to play basketball,then I took an arrow in the knee.

8. stan
    9:14 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

This year”s, N.C. Wait til the cards come to town, it may be better. When UK Played Houston in the 80’s it was awesome, but not like Saturday.

9. ChuckHayesIsAFullGrownMan
    9:15 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Came in to say what 5 said.

10. yevkazim
    9:15 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

December 1998, #2 Maryland comes to Rupp to play #5 UK. This is a Maryland team with Steve Francis, Juan Dixon, Lonnie Baxter, Terence Morris. Before this game, Magloire had this to say about the game “They’re an all-right team. But, again, they are not the University of Kentucky. No team in the nation works as hard as we do.” UK wins 103-91.
    I was at the game that day, and had gotten lucky as a student to get great lower level seats. The crown was all over Francis that day, taunting Francis. At one point before he went to shoot a free throw, Francis stared directly at us (had to be us coaches on other side of arena) which only had us get on hi even more.

11. yevkazim
    9:17 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

nd forgot to add this about the Maryland game. Said Francis after the game, “They were constantly coming after me. I didn’t do anything to Kentucky, I don’t know why they came after me. They didn’t knock me down. They knocked Maryland down.”

12. Wes
    9:18 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I was there when Florida came in #1. That crowd was good but I think the UNC game might of been louder.

13. Aaron Craft's Rosacea
    9:18 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

UNC in 2009 was pretty incredible. Wall was amazing during that game. But the winner has to be Florida 2003, no question.

14. floydfan
    9:18 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

UNLV in 1978. That was back in the day when the live tv experience was not so common. The Rupp announcer told us we were about to go on live television in a minute and to give the tv audience a nice Rupp welcome. The place exploded. It was rockin’ the rest of the afternoon, the conclusion punctuated by a runout thunderdunk, in true 1978 Wildcat fashion.

15. this game
    9:18 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

This year’s game for sure! Why try and downplay it? The crowd was live from start to finish.

16. lol
    9:19 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

#7. Awesome. Well played.

17. barn
    9:19 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

i watched the fla game in 03 when they came to rupp after being ranked #1 the day before and even though i wasn’t at the game i think that was one of the most raucous crowds i’ve seen.

18. Sam
    9:21 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

When Michigan State came in #1, hit the shot to win with time expiring. Was at the Rick Return game, not that great…

19. Jimmy
    9:21 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I was at this game and 2009 game of unc and both games were extremely loud.

20. Catpapa2525
    9:21 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Florida ranked #1 in 2007 for game day for sure. I was there in a toga painted blue. BBN wanted that win SO BADLY. EVERY TIME Florida touched the ball the building was deafening. I remember that Florida was having trouble communicating on the court because of the noise. The only time during the game that the crowd was silent was when Smooth threw up that prayer at the end to tie the game.

21. BFrey
    9:25 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Best games I’ve attended (in order):

Florida ’03
    Tennessee: after Tony Harris said Rupp isn’t a tough place to play
    Arkansas in the SEC tourney
    ul: the first season of the Clyde era…you know, when we still liked him.

22. anthonyeppsdrivingschool
    9:26 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

the michigan state game where mateen cleeves sat out, injured at rupp, and tayshaun prince had the game winning block/foul. it was pretty loud that day.

23. H
    9:26 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I wasn’t there but the game Sat had to be best crowd ever. My brother is a season ticket holder and he said it was. My personal best is hard to call. A couple Florida games during the tubby years come to mind. But probably my best was when prince started that game against UNC with 5 straight 3s. Just amazing!

24. Reba

Shaq vs 6’7″ Reggie Hanson
    Stanley Roberts vs Feldhaus
    Cats 100- Tigers 95
    Loudest Game & Biggest Upset in Rupp

26. Uk2012
    9:27 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

It has to be the UK/UNC game Saturday. Rupp was the loudest it’s ever been when Anthony David blocked John Henson!

27. FurdTurgason
    9:28 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

What about Pitino’s Bombinos against Shaq and Chris Jackson when we won 100-95?

28. AtlantaCatFan
    9:29 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I wasn’t at the game this past weekend, but I was at Pitino’s first game back as a UL coach, and that’s going to be my pick.

29. jesse
    9:29 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

2010 Louisville game..largest crowd ever..intense throughout!

30. wkylawcat
    9:30 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

’03 Florida resonated more over the television. UNC this year was the loudest I had been to. It’s the first time I’ve left Rupp and commented on the ringing in my ears like I had been at a concert. That said, while it was loud, it was only truly pandamonium after the block and as time expired. I believe the aforementioned Maryland and Florida games were both consistently louder throughout.

31. Catlanta
    9:33 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Florida in 2007 stands out, even though it was a loss. The white/blue out was epic and needs to be done again.

32. Dee
    9:33 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Florida ’03…..just a anthony davis fingertip above the ’11 UNC….

33. BPM
    9:33 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Not an easy answer to this question. For me, the game this weekend was incredible but not sure if it was the best ever – maybe. The aforementioned LSU game might be the loudest and craziest I have experienced. The Kansas revenge game in one of Pitino’s early years was crazy. There was an Alabama game when they had Horry that was as intense as it gets – eventually leading to an Horry ejection that set the crowd off. Pitino’s first game back. The Tayshaun UNC game. The Florida 2003 #1 game. The UL game from 2 years ago was the loudest and most intense for the first half but it calmed significantly when we started worrying that UL was actually in the game. The thing that might set this weekend’s game apart from alot of the others besides the LSU game is the fact that it was a close game throughout and the intensity never died down.

34. Catlanta
    9:34 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

2010 UofL, Cousins, Wall, 3 fouls in the first minute and a half, two of them technicals!!!! That was an awesome game!

35. Where's the 3?
    9:34 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Combine UK football and basketball in a new arena and watch the basketball crowd sell out 90,000+ every game!

36. bigblue4
    9:35 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

1997. Derek Anderson had recently gone down with an ACL injury and UK was playing Nova. Tim Thomas was playing for Nova and Pitino said he thought Thomas was the best player in the country not Ron Mercer. Mercer came out and hit a 15 footer on the baseline right on Thomas and broke down in a defensive stance for the press and started screaming at Thomas. Rupp went nuts and Mercer went off for 33 or 35. I was 14 at the time and I will never forget it.

37. Jerry
    9:36 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

The best crowd would be the one from start to finish!!! UK vs. UNC game!

38. ukjonny8
    9:36 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

1. Florida 2003
    2. LSU 1990
    3. UNC 2011
    4. Louisville 2001
    5. Maryland 1998

39. MIDDAY
    9:36 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

2003 – Florida

40. uky99
    9:36 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

#10, I like it and remember it well. For me 1996 Arkansas, Jeff Sheppard comes out of nowhere to block a shot on a break away layup/dunk by the Arkansas point guard..name is espaping me right now. As well, Dec. 1999 CATS go on a 3 point spree against Louisville in the 2nd half to creat blow-out.

41. Steelbrain
    9:36 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Florida 2003, they came in #1, we killed them
    Crowd was wild.
    UK UNC 2011 a close second. Definitely more stars
    At this game

42. CJtrueblue
    9:40 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

2003 Florida

43. Carl
    9:40 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

BREAKING NEWS: There was a sewer explosion this morning about one block (as the crap flows) from the Yum!!! Center. The current theory puts the cause of the explosion on the toxic mess seeping out of the arena.

44. Bigernnwc01
    9:42 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

UK-LSU 2/15/1990. 100-95. If you were really there how could you forget the emotion that went into this game. With no postseason or live television, a ticket to a game meant so much more. The video tape of the game I have is dated but the noise of the crowd throughout is unquestionable. Plus it was a record crowd of 24,301 at the time. For a game to qualify as best crowd it would have had to at least held the distinction as a record crowd.

45. Todd
    9:43 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

12/12/98 #2 Maryland at #5 Kentucky. I say this only becuase I was there and it was loud from start to finish. I believe Maryland came in as a favorite by vegas odds.

46. lldjr
    9:43 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

1990 vs. LSU

47. jesusthenotorious
    9:43 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I was at the tayshaun 3 game I’d say it was one of the loudest moments in rupp but notstart to finish loud. I was also at the game in 03 when we destroyed number one Florida it was start to finish loud and crazy. Imagine if this had been a night game and the crowd had been even more lubed up?

48. Love em
    9:43 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I swear I loved Saturday, i was there. but the LSU 1990 game was hands down the craziest.

49. Godzilla
    9:44 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Florida – 2003

50. UkBlueThickNthru
    9:45 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I would have to go with the UL vs UK game when Wall and company was here. Ive been to a pretty good amount of games @ rupp, this one was by far the best! The atmosphere before the game was incredible! The first minute was insanity, the whole Cousins elbow and the chants and roars. You could feel the emotions and atmosphere and it was a great experience to whitness! However I didnt goto the UNC game, I bet it was even better! Im jealous of you all that got to whitness one of the greatest games played in the UK era ive been alive for!

51. From the 15
    9:45 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Upper Arena as a Student for LSU in 1990. Arena felt like it was literally shaking on its foundation. Absolutely amazing. Florida 2003, Louisville 2001, UNC 2011 all incredible crowds and very close, but nothing shook Rupp like beating Shaq and Chris Jackson!!!

52. Grantholomew
    9:48 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

2003 Florida, I must agree

53. Bluegrassrebel
    9:49 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Kinda related, but the longest ovation had to be for Kyle Macy on senior day 1979. I didn’t think the applause was ever going to stop. I finally had to quit when my hands were so tired and red they couldn’t take it anymore. Anybody else there that remembers?

54. The Source
    9:51 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Definitely 2009 when we beat UNC

55. Hoops McGee
    9:51 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Best crowd? Maybe. Loudest crowd? …I’d pick the FLA game when Nick the Greek missed two late FTs.

56. BlueNotes
    9:51 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Come on guys…… 1981 vs LSU (that’s the Minniefield to Bowie full court dunk pass game)

The year prior, we were ranked #2 and LSU beat us in the SEC tourney finals, then we had travelled to Baton Rouge and again we were ranked higher than LSU, but they beat us. There had been comments from LSU players like…. “They’re just Kentucky, they ain’t nothing special”.

Then, LSU comes in ranked #2 (we were 9th maybe) and I think they were the highest ranked opposing team to ever have played in Rupp to that point. Plus, it was an afternoon game, so the build up outside the arena had been going on for hours! The other thing was there was a whole section of student seats right behind LSU’s bench. (This was before they had sold them out to the Blue Hairs).

LSU WAS AS HATED AS LOUISVILLE OR DUKE IS TODAY AT THAT TIME!

They had mouthy players, a smarmy Coach, and pretty much were considered a team that played dirty – little things like tossing the ball to the referee after a made shot which disrupted UK’s ability to quickly get the ball up court.

When game time came – they just let anyone in who had a student ID. People don’t realize – there were an extra 1000 students standing in the aisles and at the top of each step entrance for that game (we heard afterwards that the turnstiles had counted over 26,000 people)

Then the game was everything UNC was and then some.

In the crowds we just exuded hate towards LSU. We booed throughout every LSU possession and tried, intentionally, to make it so loud they couldn’t hear on the court. There were several times were plays continued after the whistle because it was so loud.

Al McGuire (who called it on TV) said it was the loudest sporting event he had ever been to, and even with the headphones on – he was having a hard time hearing.

57. BlueNotes
    9:51 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

LSU WAS AS HATED AS LOUISVILLE OR DUKE IS TODAY AT THAT TIME!

Then the game was everything UNC was and then some.

58. jaaaayyyy
    9:52 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Though I wasn’t at either game, I would have to think this UNC game had to have the more consistent crowd involvement and excitement. Once we got up big on Florida, they spent the second half playing us even and even getting an edge (they outscored us second half). As we all know the crowd does not live and die on every play when you have a big lead, or the other team makes a crowd silencing run. I can’t imagine anything louder than the first half of the Florida game, but I would bet the recent UNC game had more consistent volume because it had constant drama until the final horn.

59. Cincycat
    9:54 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I attended UNC at UK game on Saturday .. the crowd was amazing and deserves consideration, but for me it still didn’t top Florida at UK in 2003 which was one the coolest things I’ve ever experienced as a Kentucky fan! I’ve heard stories about the LSU game in 1990, but I wasn’t there.. so I can’t comment on it.

60. jaaaayyyy
    9:55 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

57 then that’s probably it. Will have to try to find that on wildcatthunder

61. UkCrowdLover
    9:56 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

When we got our 2000 win

62. Ha!
    9:57 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

#7 just cracked me up! Excellent.

63. J-Hi
    9:58 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Florida 2003. We were blood-thirsty.

64. joe
    9:58 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

wasn’t there saturday but for me it was kansas in 1990 i believe. the year after they beat us 155-95. they came into rupp the following year with mark randall and we beat em. rupp was crazy that night. i was only 13 and sittin with my best buddy so maybe that plays into the memory but that was an awesome atmosphere

65. he says she
    9:59 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Al McGuire: You better call a timeout LSU!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=aUIstAdNEm4&NR=1.

66. CatsFanInNC
    10:00 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Michigan State when they were ranked 5th. I think it was 1999. It’s the game from my college days that stands out the most!

67. mgcat
    10:01 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

1999-2000 season – Cats Vs. Maryland… one was ranked #1, the other #2. AMAZING game, AMAZING crowd.

68. Mark
    10:01 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

December 23rd, 1999 UK vs. Michigan St.

69. Rickey Martin
    10:02 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

1981 when Bowie blocked a last second shot to keep LSU from going undefeated in the SEC. It was the loudest place I have ever been. The crowd was so loud it was hard to hear the band. Rupp arena shook that day.

70. Studentsays
    10:03 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I have only been able to go to games recently (Calipari and Gillispie eras), but the game Saturday was the best I have ever seen crowd wise. The Louisville game of the Wall year with the Cousins incident is a close second. It probably had a more steady atmosphere. But the peaks in Saturday’s atmosphere were truly phenomenal, and what really made it was special was the fact that everyone stayed so long. It seemed no one left until after 10 minutes. I left after 25 and most all the students and many other fans were still there. Amazing crowd!

71. mgcat
    10:03 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I stand corrected – it was 1998-99 season

72. dwb
    10:03 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Florida 2003… best crowd ever

73. Aaron Class of 99 and 04
    10:05 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Tubby era moments
    Best Crowd start to finish UK vs. Florida I believe in 2003 when they were #1.
    Best moment the loud buildup as Tayshaun kept hitting 3 pointers vs. UNC
    Honorable mention… Down to Tennessee late and Ashley Judd is carried out to cheer the crowd on in C A T S cheer around the arena it continued for several minutes after play resumed and the crowd remained standing cheering the team on into a comeback. The next game this tradition continued so it was cool that this had some carry over.
    Worst moment losing to Tennessee 41-40 so boring

74. Chris
    10:05 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

for the LSU game, Shaq and Chris Jackson, I was a student, and at a lot of games I would get irritated of the old men sitting and being polite, well this game, we jumped out to a ridiculous 40-17? lead, and it was non stop screaming, we were on probation, I think they were 3rd in the nation. I screamed, a healthy 19 year old so much that I almost passed out, lost my voice, and – well, everyone was doing it. BEST. CROWD. EVER.

75. ttcobra
    10:06 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

LSU 1990 is the winner. And I was at Florida 2003, Carolina 2009 and 2011, Kansas 1990, all Louisville and Maryland 1998 games.

All great but that LSU game was surreal.

76. Polar Pop Shake
    10:06 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Man, I remember three years ago when the Cats destroyed Delaware State by 29. They were coming off losses to VMI and North Carolina and all mighty Delaware State came in thumping their chests that they were gonna take down the Cats. And the crowd was like all, “Uh uh, you’re not.” And they were all, “Yes we are.” The crowd rocked and was mainly responsible for the Cats winning 71-42, led by Michael Porter’s unsung 8 points.

77. Levi
    10:06 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

#5 Yeah I was there and never sat down.

78. Jeff
    10:09 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Kansas 12/8/1990. UK won 88-71, a 67 point turnaround from the 150-95 pasting we took the prior season. Kansas would go on to the Final Four.

79. Spine12
    10:09 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Maybe tough to believe, but…The 2009 UNC game with Wall, Patterson and Cousins was so loud, I couldn’t hear myself talk to my Dad. The first half especially. I was at Saturday’s game as well. It was a very close second.

80. _Blackhawk_
    10:10 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Personally the feeling in Rupp as the we tipped it up against UofL with Wall and company was the craziest first 5 minutes to a ball game I have ever seen in Rupp. It felt as if the place was going to explode…so much electricity and tension. It started during even before the game and just built from there until it exploded on the first play on offense for the Cards. Truly a crazy moment.

81. steve wheeler
    10:11 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

2nd best to Florida 2003

82. Cheee Whiz
    10:17 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

My experience was dampered by an older man with his hand in his back jean-pocket screaming color commentary throughout the entire game. For 2 hours, he yelled “Cheeee Whiz!” and “Ye Gotta Put It En Tha Bowl!”… I love the passion and I love the screaming – but the color commentary gets annoying after a while. During half-time, he educated us on why UK was down: “6-9 from 3, 2-9 from 3… cheeee whiz! That’s the game, right thur!”

I think that the Rupp Atmosphere would be much better if we were standing and loud in the good times and bad times, and let Cal do the coaching. The place was insane when everyone was up and cheering.

83. Wills dumb
    10:18 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I’ve only been attending games at rupp for the last decade but the loudest moment in rupp over that time unfortunately was a non-UK game. It was the 2002 NCAA tourney regional game when IU rallied to beat duke. Close 2nd was crawfords dunk against UL in 2005 and the Florida game in 2003

84. KSRisaWorkKiller
    10:20 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Senior night, 1992, against UT – Cawood’s last home game. The entire crowd stayed for the ceremony after the game.

85. Norkaintuck
    10:20 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I can’t believe no one’s brought up the 1993 SEC Tournament at RUPP. UK’s first game vs. Tennessee was insane, 101-40, crowd was so loud you couldn’t hear yourself think. The next day vs. Arkansas out primary SEC rival at that point, 92-81, the crowd was so loud the entire game that my family couldn’t hear Cawood’s voice as he called the game and the players couldn’t hear Pitino during timeouts. The crowd was so great because RUPP was full of real fans not blue-haired season ticket holders sitting on their hands.

86. Donald
    10:20 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I’m shocked KSR hasn’t said anything about this but in the UNC game. Kidd-gilchrist actually dislocated his shoulder when he got hacked on that one play and they made him come out. He popped his own shoulder back into place then went back out there. Dude is a beast!

87. Texarkana
    10:20 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

1) Florida 2003 (start to finish, crazy)
    2) UNC 2009 (run during first half was unreal, couldn’t hear myself screaming)
    3) UNC 2011 (best ending)

88. WSFLWildcat
    10:22 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

LSU game 1990 is the best game I ever attended. I was 3 rows from the top and we never sat down the entire game. It was loud and it was awesome.

89. Jim
    10:22 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

The 1990 Kansas revenge game. I was there. It was unreal. It was also a game coming off probation where the fans and everyone else for that matter knew we were back!

90. JIMMIEUKFAN
    10:24 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I was a student at UK when I attended the LSU/UK game in 1990. I’ve been to a ton of games in Rupp over the years and that’s the loudest I ever heard the place. The building was literally shaking. Nothing better than when Rupp rocks.

91. TS
    10:27 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Agree #56, #65, #69. Camped out three days for student tickets to that game (that was pre-BBM era). Crowd was roaring all day.

92. A girl who reads KSR
    10:28 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Saturday for sure! I was actually allowed to stand up and cheer without people behind me telling me to sit down because they couldn’t see.

93. Kemp's Pawn & Lube
    10:28 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Got to go with the 1990 LSU game. I was a junior at UK that year. That was the best crowd of which I’ve been a part. The floor shook at times.

94. Farm at
    10:29 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

74# I agree LSU will be tough to beat. I was 15 lucked out and got tickets with my dad. Watching Shaquille come out the locker it was a feeling of David vs Goliath. The win was a defining moment for our program and what we had been through. The noise was deafening. I can say a lot coach p but he gave us all some great memories.

95. pat forde wishing the yum center was this exciting
    10:32 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I was at the 2003 Florida, incredible! Only judging from TV, I would give the edge to the NC game on Sat. I think they were close, but to have a crowd to be that wild at a noon tip-off, Hats off!

96. Hester
    10:33 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Top 2 games:

1) UK-Florida 2003. Insane crowd. I was in the eRupption Zone and it was the craziest nonstop mosh pit I’ve ever seen. I got a black eye from an inadvertent elbow after Bogans nearly ripped the rim off the backboard, and I LOVED it.

2) UK-Vandy 2003. Bogans’s Senior Day. 60-point win against ranked Vandy, crazy plays from everyone, and the best 3 minute stretch by a single player in UK history: freshman Kelenna Azubuike. He had a dunk, a 3, a steal, a block, an up-and-under 3 point play, and the best putback dunk-and-foul of all time. UK also honored John Stewart during the Senior Day festivities. He passed away his senior year of high school due to an enlarged heart, and he would have been a senior at UK that day. Not a dry eye in the house.

97. Brew Crew
    10:33 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I went to basically every home game from late ’05 through early ’10. sadly I didn’t get out to Rupp for this recent UNC game, but the best crowd for me was in ’09 against UNC. It was really UK’s coming out party for the home crowd. It was like years of frustration truly coming to an end.

98. KSRisaWorkKiller
    10:33 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I was a senior in ’90 and sat WAY upper for the LSU game. That was about as loud as I can remember Rupp getting.

99. Brentton Akers
    10:35 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I’ve been to a lot of great games in Rupp, I didnt get to attend Saturday’s game but for some reason the one that stands out the most is 2007-2008 double overtime game vs Vanderbilt. We had some really bad losses that year but for some reason the crowd just wanted a win really bad. Also this game wasn’t in Rupp but the to get to watch them play in Memorial vs UNLV great, and the UNC game the year with Wall Cousins Pat and company was awesome!

100. cdc_uky
    10:36 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

10 – That Maryland game has always stood out for me and I am at most home games. The 2003 Florida game was another great one. Pitino’s first game in Rupp as Louisvile’s coach was great. Saturday against UNC ranks right with them.

Once the volume hits a certain level, I am not sure the human ear can tell the difference. All of the aforementioned were killer!

101. FATKIDINEASTKY
    10:37 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Mine was as follows:

1)Villanova with Tim Thomas….Ron Mercer was all up in his ear and it was EXPLOSIVE
    2)Phi Slamma Jamma- ELECTRIC ain’t even close to an adjective for that day
    3)Saturday’s UNC….we had a couple of lulls in the “fan participation” and thatis why I dropped it to 3rd

102. Brew Crew
    10:38 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

It’s not my best crowd, but another one not many people are mentioning is Ramel Bradley’s and Joe Crawford’s Senior Day, where they beat Florida. A team that lost to San Diego and Gardner Webb but somehow won 12 in SEC play. One of the few exciting moments during the BCG era, and one of my top 10 UK events overall

103. Dave in Cleveland
    10:39 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

A couple of best of games for me. I was factually at the 1990 LSU game in Rupp and the crowd was absolutely insane from start to finish, it was like UK’s tournament for all intensive purposes that year. But my absolute favorite was my first game against Louisville as a student, we crammed extra people down into the lower bowl, never sat the entire game and it ended with Cedric Jenkins tip in that the crowd went absolutely insane on! And oh by the way, the thing that put it over the top, was former Gov. A.B. “Happy” Chandler singing My Old Kentucky Home, if you ever heard that one done, it made the hair on the back of your neck stand straight up, that’s my #1.

104. Eddie Munster misses free throws...
    10:41 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

#102 –

Got to agree – if I remember correctly, that was the game that it was down to a last second shot by Florida – Eddie Munster tried a 3 – missed but Galloway fouled…shooting 3 free throws with no time left on the clock – Rupp went crazy loud while Eddie was at the line – he missed all three, Kentucky wins….

Great atmosphere there – and definitely impacted the result of the game.

105. Kentucky Gentleman
    10:42 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

The most fun for me was the 2009 Louisville game. The small fights at the beginning of the game helped to get the crowd pretty amped.

106. Kchill
    10:43 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Was not at the game but hard to believe it was louder than UNC game w/ T. Prince hittin’ 5 in row. Was at the UL game when the crowd was shakin’ keys at Samaki Walker

107. RockyMtnCat
    10:44 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

While some are good, they are all lame compared to what they should be. The Geritol/Blue Hair Nation keeps the Rupp atmosphere from being all it can be. More students down low. And I am not a student, but closer to the oldies.

108. Dwight(the blur)Anderson
    10:44 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

The Earnie and Bernie show with oranges hitting the floor from the upper deck. We had some great crowds with Tenn. in the late 70″s Do not remember the blue hairs because all of us students were up top then. It was loud up where we were.

109. Bryan
    10:45 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

UK v. LSU 1990 without question. The blue/white cheer went on for almost the entire second half non-stop regardless of timeouts, etc. Hearing Cawood do that game and staying and listening afterward is such a great memory.

110. Coop
    10:45 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

UK grad in 2000…
    Games I have seen in person that I would add:

Tennessee ’92 (Unforgettables senior night/Cawood game)
    Tennessee ’93 (101-40 revenge game after losing at UT 1 week earlier)
    Lousiville ’92 (Sean Woods ejection)
    UCONN ’97 (Tim Thomas)
    Maryland ’98 (The rejection of Steve Francis on the baseline by Magloire was a HUGE pop)

South Carolina ’97 (loudest in terms of boos… Senior Night loss, Pitino’s last game as UK coach at home… got ejected with about 5 seconds left… never seen C.M. jump up like that to have security get the refs out – including Don Rutledge)

111. Coop
    10:47 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Whoops… Sorry – meant Villanova for the Tim Thomas game in ’97.

112. Reality Check
    10:48 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

In reality, the UK/UNC barely makes the Top Ten. Simply because some people posting here attended it and there haven’t been many games in recent history that loud, it suddenly becomes “the best” by default. Sorry. No. (And yes, I was there.) File it under, “How soon they forget.” One of the best, if not “the” best was in 1978. Seniors Jack Givens, James Lee, Mike Phillips, Rick Robey beat UNLV 92-70. (And yes, I was there then also.) This was the farewell to the class of players that basically transferred ownership of the Kentucky basketball program from Adolph Rupp to Joe B. Hall. In front of an NBC national television audience, Givens and Lee, Robey and Phillips put on a dunking exhibition unlike any ever seen from a Kentucky team to that point in Wildcats basketball history. The Cats rained down eight – count ’em, eight – slams on the Runnin’ Rebels. No one who saw it will ever forget the two-handed jam Givens threw down in the face of UNLV star Reggie Theus. The noise level was so loud I nearly, literally, passed out. It was bedlam. And this was well before the eRupption Zone. The UNC/UK game was good, but not the greatest. Not even close.

113. Christopher Hitchens
    10:48 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

vs. Maryland ’98

114. Brew Crew
    10:49 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

105. Another great game. I went alone to that one and sat in an end seat, row KK. The crowd was amped for that game too. That’s another top 10. It was a crazy game where there was almost outright fighting. I think there were 3 technicals assessed on one play at one point? That game is also notable as having the record largest crowd for a UK game in Rupp

115. Carlothedon
    10:49 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

The loudest, greatest game I ever attended was back in February, 1990. UK won 100-95. Chris Jackson had 41 for LSU and we were on probation.

116. word
    10:53 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

LSU ’90, KU ’90, UF ’03, UL ’01, SEC Tourney, Bulls vs Sonics

I was 9 in 90 and remember my ears ringing and my hands were sore after the LSU game.

Before the UF game I ran into Larry Conley (who was the ‘Y’ that game) and he said UF might have us beat; my friend told him h was crazy and that we would win by 15. I remember loosing my voice that game.

The Rick return was Tubby’s highest approval rating ever.

The Arkansas game was nuts as well.

117. Kwildcat
    10:56 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Blue Notes thanks for pulling the LSU game….I couldn’t remember which LSU game it was where Bowie took a lob at his apex and crammed it at a pivotal point in the game….if anybody was there if was a freeking 747 jet engine of screaming. Wish I coulda been there Saturday but I it is true that LSU was as hated as Louisville and they outranked us making the crowd amp it up with raw emotion. We went mid-evil on em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

118. Catapult
    10:58 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I have to agree with BlueNotes. 81 LSU is still number one. Sat was a close 2nd however.

119. Chris
    10:59 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I think the Louisville game Cal’s 1st year was the best crowd. Statistically it was the largest crowd ever, but more than that there were almost 2 fights in the 1st 43 seconds which worked the crowd into a frenzy. I have never been to a game like that where for the entire 2nd half the crowd got on it’s feet for every single defensive possession. Hands down the loudest and best atmosphere ever at Rupp.

120. GoBlue
    11:01 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

2007 Florida.
    My memories of coming to Rupp pretty much start with Pitino’s first season (though I was there before) and I’ve been to hundreds of games in that time. For me, hands down the best game, start-to-finish, was the 2007 Florida game, when they came in ranked #1. The crowd was the loudest I’ve ever heard it start-to-finish. But Florida hit that three to win at the buzzer, so it gets dropped from a lot of lists. But the atmosphere and noise were incredible. (In fairness, I wasn’t at Florida 2003 because I was away at college.)
    UNC on Saturday was the second loudest I’ve been to, but it wasn’t quite as constant as that Florida game. The crowd quieted a little when UNC got up by 9 in the first half.

121. D Henry
    11:02 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

The best crowds are the ones where you cant hear yourself talk throughout the entire game. Saturday was buzzing like never before, and only loud like that at the beginning and the end. It was a great crowd, but doesn’t compare to the LSU, Villanova, UL, Maryland and Florida crowds of the past. Those five games of past they had anger and passion towards the other teams. I felt everyone respected NC, rightfully so, this year and were more in awe of the talent for both teams than downright hate.

122. GoBlue
    11:03 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I also think UK-UL during the ’01-’02 season (Pitino’s first) is in the mix, but has to be #3.

123. coolio
    11:03 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

In order of games I’ve been to

1. UNC 2011
    2. UL 2010
    3. Maryland 1998
    4. UF 2007

124. BGcatfan
    11:08 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Vandy vs uk 2008 when it went into double overtime best I game I have been to

125. CRD
    11:09 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Loudest crowd was vs Florida, not in 2003, but when we made Calathes piss himself as he missed his free throws.

126. Dayton Cats
    11:11 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

LSU in 1990. I thought Rupp would collapse and my hand still hurts from all of the high fives.
    February 1987 against UT. Down 10 with a minute to go and Rex brings us back in OT. Those left in Rupp were awesome.

127. ukysparky
    11:14 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

The crowd for the Florida game in 2003 was insane! That gets my vote.

128. Cats
    11:14 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I agree with #1.

129. Old man sleeping in lower arena
    11:15 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Right on #5. It was my first game that wasn’t a cupcake. They was first team in a long while that the away team was a favorite entering the game. Evans went for over 30 that night. Hashimu was a beast and best juco player at UK ever. Well besides Eloy! GO CATS

130. jMickD
    11:16 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

When Fitch hit that 3 to beat Florida in 03. Loudest moment I’ve experienced…anywhere!

131. Jo Jo
    11:16 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

LSU 1990, no TV made the difference

132. uktailg8er
    11:19 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I was at both UF 2003 and UNC 2011.

The UF game during the run to end the first half was the loudest I have ever heard Rupp, and overall I think it was a better crowd.

The problem with the UNC game was there was never a steady run that got the crowd energized. We would go on a 5-0 run, then UNC would drain a three, or score a bucket. The crowd did get loud, but never reached the sustained pitch that the Florida game did.

Another point is the fact that UNC is not really a “hated” rival. Granted, UK fans want to beat them more than most any other team, however there is a level of respect between the two programs.

When UK is playin UL or Duke, not only is there an electricity in the air, but also a level of hatred and disgust that can not be quantified. The first five minutes of the UL game in 2009 in Rupp was a prime example of this.

My vote goes to the UF game in 2003 as the best crowd ever.

133. BigBlueVoodoo
    11:19 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

No question about it…LSU at KY in 1990. Rick Pitino had set it up perfectly for the rematch when him and Dale Brown almost came to blows at mid court in the game in Baton Rouge. LSU had Shaq and Stanley Roberts, both 7-footers. Ky had no one over 6-7. Reggie Hansen played center. Ky got off to a hot start and the crowd was the loudest it had and ever has been. Ky had a big lead but Chris Jackson for LSU almost single handidly will LSU back. I’ve been to all of the games mentioned in this comment section and there is no comparison- LSU in 1990 was the loudest and best game for fan participation!

134. Brandon
    11:23 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

2009 Florida: Jodie hits the awkward three to take the lead by three, then Calathes is fouled on a 3-pt shot and misses ALL three. Some say the rim was shaking from the noise.

135. ukgrad82
    11:24 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

1981 LSU – Had to campout for student tickets on Friday night to get in line for tickets issued Sunday afternoon. That set also included the Tennessee game later that week if I recall. At that time, LSU and Tennessee were our most hated rivals.

136. Love the cyber day special!
    11:29 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

The best crowd ever was THE CELEBRATION AT RUPP IN 1996. Hands down! Nothing has been close to that crowd ever.
    GO CATS!!

137. Robert
    11:32 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

UK vs. Florida 2003

138. Threadee McThreadThread
    11:37 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

2003: Florida walked in with a shiny new #1 ranking and a freshman point guard who said that the Gators wouldn’t be intimidated by the crowd at Rupp. Challenge accepted. Two hours later, they slinked back to Gainesville with their humbled tails between their legs…

139. BigCatOnCampus
    11:37 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

2007 for Gameday with Florida. You can’t deny the facts… it was the largest Rupp Arena crowd ever at that time. It was only the second game I ever saw at Rupp where the ENTIRE arena stood up from the first tip until the last shot. And most importantly, the shirts… you may not remember it, but that was the game the arena handed out blue and white shirts for the sides and ends, and everyone actually put them on. I have a great picture of Rupp Arena from the second row of the Erupption Zone when the sides are all blue and the ends are all white. Those types of things hype up a crowd, add to the atmosphere, and really make you appreciate the special moment you are a part of.

140. Dale
    11:40 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I was 18 the first year at Rupp, so unfortunatley, I’m old as dirt. One positive though is I’ve been to, and old enough to remember well, all of the big games and most of the lesser ones. When LSU came in undefeated in ’81, the fever pitch at the beginning of that game was so loud and exciting you can’t put it into words. The beginning of the ’90 game with them, with Shack, Stanley Roberts and Chris Jackson coming into play the unforgettable’s (pre Mash) was nuts, wasn’t quite as intense right at first because we we’re all a little apprehensive and rightfully so, we might get killed. But from the second we e started putting an insane early run on them with the press creating turnovers, and busting 3’s from everywhere,and went up 40-18 on I’ve never ever, and never will, experience anything as loud, and I mean like a continuous jet engine revving for two hours next to your ears. We as fans and the whole program had been through hell for almost two years from probation and pride testing accusations. We knew that night, beyond any shadow of a doubt, we were seeing Kentucky kids playing in a way that only all of us who understand the significance of everything UK is to the generations of each of our families, and was built upon for all those years. Just like all of us guys (and plenty of girls too)have dreamed of doing a thousand times in our lives. LSU made a valiant comeback, but instead of getting quiet and scared like we normally do( hell, everybody does), it just kept getting unbelievably louder. We screamed, the band played the theme (from 2000 and something?) during one of Dale Browns last timeouts and he came out and just put his hands up saying I give. Biggest crowd ever to that point (and possibly still is) and we were all literally insane. You talk about pressure, Richie stepped up and hit nothing but net on a couple ft’s with a couple seconds left to ice it, and we won 100-95. That night, I got a small glimpse of what heaven will be like. There will never be a crowd that loud again and that’s ok, because I hope we all ever again have go through anything as bad as those previous couple years had been to get us to that point.

141. Blue Bayou
    11:42 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

#134. 2009 v Florida. Meeks hits a 3 with a couple seconds left and everybody goes nuts. Then Calathes missed 3 free throws because Rupp was so loud it was literally shaking the seats and the rafters.

142. Threadee McThreadThread
    11:42 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

129. Heshimu Evans wasn’t from a JUCO, he was a transfer from D-I Manhattan College in New York.

143. Kwildcat
    11:44 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

103 – was that where they wheeled Happy out to the baseline (it looked liked he had oxygen on the chair) and Happy ambles out to mid court and starts blasting with this powerful, un-earthly voice killing every stanza then ends in full voice with this high pitched tone that still gives me goose bumps. Then Happy ambles off the floor and back into his wheelchair….place is going nuts. Should be on a you-Tube somewhere.

144. Rodney
    11:45 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Maryland (Steve Francis) Vs. Kentucky. Crowd was amazing. Everyone stood the entire game and was loud as I have ever heard.

145. junkie262
    11:47 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Florida 2003

146. Crush little red
    11:55 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

There’s no question about it, my parents have had the same seats at rupp since it opened. I’ve been to just about all of the big games mentioned here, and LSU in 1990 is the best game ever at rupp. My ears were ringing the next day after that game. The energy in the building that night was going 30 minutes before tip-off thru the final buzzer. Never stopped. I was there Saturday and while it was a great crowd, it didn’t surpass LSU.

147. rSquare
    11:57 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I’ve got to go with 1990 LSU. We should not have been able to hang with LSU and the crowd in upper decks stood from almost 30 minutes before the game until after the buzzer sounded. The anticipation of that game was as big as I’ve ever seen it and the crowd didn’t wait for good things to happen it helped create them. The talent gap between LSU and KY was huge and the crowd made up the difference.

148. BigBlueSwami
    12:06 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

Attended both the destruction of #1 Florida and saturday’s UNC game. For my money the Florida game was the better/louder/longer sustained buzz then saturday. the last play was loud but every play, every moment of florida was a roof-lifting moment.

149. Chuck
    12:08 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

Wow, I must be getting old. Does anyone remember the year we played Houston, the pie slamma jamma cougars came into Rupp, I think they were ranked #1. The crowd was crazy, they jumped out ahead early by 12-15, UK came roaring back and just dominated, the cougars prided themselves on being able to run up and down the court, but we were no slouches. We just ran them to death, it was a great game. That was the loudest game I have ever attended in Rupp, the LSU game a close second.

150. RidgeRunner
    12:12 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

Anyone know where this actual “attendance number” ranks in the top 10 at Rupp? I admit if it was stated in one of the 150 comments above…I didn’t see it.

151. kdcat
    12:13 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

Florida in 2003 for sure…my ears were still ringing the next morning

152. NYCWildcat
    12:14 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

When Tayshaun hit that three from almost half court against UNC is probably the loudest MOMENT I’ve experienced in the 100+ games I went to in the 2000’s. The Florida games were really loud. Probably more than even the Pitino return game.

153. RidgeRunner
    12:19 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

If anyone has the actual number from Saturday, you can see where it falls on the all time list I found here…

24,011 March 1, 1981 LSU Won 73—71
    24,459 February 4, 2003 Florida Won 70—55
    24,465 February 10, 2007 Florida Lost 64—61
    24,468 December 5, 2009 North Carolina Won 68—66
    24,479 January 2, 2010 Louisville Won 71—62

154. boomboomboooom
    12:23 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

was at both florida 2003 and UNC 2011….almost equal but slight edge in terms of crowd going crazy to UF but better game overall to UNC game

155. RidgeRunner
    12:28 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

I’ll try and post my 153 comment in another thread as many folks may have left this one. I’m just curious about it…look over me.
    🙁

156. hangin#8
    12:36 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

Feb 10 2009- Kentucky vs. Florida attendance 24,355… When Nick Calathes was at the free throw line toward the end of the game, Rupp was as loud as I have ever heard it. I felt like I was at a Nascar race front row.

157. warrior
    12:40 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

UK vs LSU in 1990- by far- best sporting event I have ever been too in my life…….. I hate Indiana with every fiber of my body.

158. NBA league pass
    12:48 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

I’ll vote the December 98 UK/Maryland game (only because really I can only speak for games I attended, and wasn’t at the UNC game this weekend). We got lucky in the lottery and got lowers, lots of fun.

159. cpacat
    12:54 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

Surprised no one has mentioned the 12/12/87 game between #1 UK and the Dirty Birds. Cedric Jenkins tip in to win 76-75. My Mom’s birthday…guess where I was. Row J, Section 31, right by the pep band. That game was crazy loud as well. Students normally stand the entire game, we were not only standing, we were standing on the armrests of those (weird) orange seats.

160. Designated Drinker
    12:55 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

Didnt go Saturday. But I was at the game vs Shaq when the ball was spiked into the court. The loudest I remember was the year Arkansas came to Rupp in the mid 90’s with Thurman and Williamson. The cats lost but the crowd was loud and as emotionally into it as any basketball game I have been to, including Florida 2003. The 2007 football crowds were better though, sad to say.

161. @jrodwhalen
    12:58 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

I was at the 03 Florida game and it was crazy! I wish I could have been at the 11 UNC game for a better comparison.

162. Jirvin
    1:10 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

1998 Maryland game! No doubt! Loudest I have ever heard Rupp!

163. "NOT" Larry Vaught
    1:12 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

UK vs. Maryland Dec.12, 1998 Maryland was ranked #2 and UK #5. Rupp was on edge and willing every basket to go in and when one went in, they let Stevie “Franchise” Francis know about it!!

164. Catsfoever
    1:18 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

I was at the game saturday and it was AMAZING!!! The loudest iv ever heard it in my lifetime ( I’m only 15 though so what do I know?) but it was insane!

165. TReY HaZe
    1:32 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

A lot of people will be surprised by this but I have to say 2009 when UK played Florida. Billy Gillespie won one of the biggest games of his short tenure. Almost every single basket the crowd was on their feet with enthusiasm (even the blue hairs in the lower level). Even though it might have only been in front of 23,500 at Rupp. But one thing I remember clear as day was Nick “choke” Calathes shooting free throws with about 2 seconds left in the game. Cats were up by two and the entire crowd had Rupp shaking, which eventually led to Calathes missing both free throws.

166. FourThinInches
    1:40 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

Loudest moment i’ve ever heard was 2008-2009 UF game at home. When the ref called a bogus fall on Nick Calathes shooting a 3 pointer in the final seconds. UK was up by 3. The boo’s @ the ref were just the icing on the cake. Once Calathes stepped up to the line it got so loud in there i had to cover my ears because of pain. It was so loud a 70% free throw shooter missed all 3 of his free throws and we won the game.

Ive been to tons of games spanning 2006-2011. That was by far the loudest moment i’ve ever heard in Rupp Arena.

167. UkcatNKy
    1:49 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

I was at both UL 2001 and Florida 2003. Both were pretty great.

168. kam
    1:51 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

I agree with Designated Drinker. I was a student at UK when Arkansas came to town with Nolan Richardson’s team. It was so loud my friend, who was standing next to me, was yelling at me and I couldn’t hear a word he was saying. The UK team got off to a fast start that day, but Rodrick Rhodes got T’d up for taunting and Arkansas took over from there.

169. GreatWhiteNBAHope
    2:06 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

Best Rupp crowd ever was 2011 Pros vs DR National Team. We got to drink beer the whole time and EVERYONE booed the shot out of Garcia, Horford, Sosa and his nine fouls. And I’m sure the standing O that Eloy got was one of the coolest things that’s happened to him because it gave me goosebumps. Put that same crowd at the UNC game last Saturday, and this would be a no contest.

170. Cheatom Hall
    2:18 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

Maybe not the loudest, or at Rupp, but the most rowdy UK game I have ever been too was last years game vs. Notre Dame at Freedom Hall. UK fans were smoking inside the building under “no smoking” signs and the sale of alcohol made everyone get very rowdy.

171. Cindy
    2:20 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

LSU 1990

172. Mark9698
    2:22 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

When Houston Came to town With PHI Slama Jamma in 83. The loudest ever
    Back when the students got good seats and could be seen and heard. Over 4000 students waited for tickets for that game and Indiana I got section 31 row 1

173. BlueNotes
    2:28 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

@135 We were there together then… 231 Row KK (the top row)

Incidentally, I had forgotten that LSU was undefeated in conference play (and maybe for the whole year) going into that 1981 game.

174. ukgrad82
    3:04 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

@173 I think we were in 33 Row L.

175. CAUKFAN
    3:11 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

Boogie was there so it was a great crowd.

176. tbd4567
    3:17 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

My great game recollections: 1. 1990? Kansas losing to UK after a 50 point loss the year before at Kansas; Coming back on LSU from 35 down to win (year?); Beating an undefeated Shaq and Jackson; 2011 UNC/UK win; UK beats IU in final four in 75(not a Rupp event); Beating Duke any time; Beating Phi Slamma Jamma; Anderson beating Notre Dame single handedly from 11 down with less than 2 minutes on the clock;

177. John Calipari's Amazing One and Done Flying Circus
    3:31 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

134. Agree that was the loudest I have ever heard Rupp during a UK game.

Total game atmosphere has to be LSU 1990.

178. stone cold willow
    3:33 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

179. Pierce Buster
    4:05 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

1. 1998 Maryland!!!
    2. 2003 Florida
    3. 09-10 Louisville
    4. 2011 UNC
    5. The year Gerald Fitch hit the game winning 3 vs. UNC (2002-2003 I believe)

#GETTHEOLDPEOPLEOUT

180. jhub
    4:10 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

Glad BlueNotes posted an older game, too. I wasn’t at that LSU game but was in the stands for the revenge game vs. UL in Nov of ’83. They’d beaten us in OT in the NCAA back in the spring (our first meeting in the modern era) and we were foaming at the mouth to get some sort of revenge. From opening tip to the sweet last tick on the clock we dominated to a 65-44 win. This UNC game last weekend may have been as good but hard to believe it could have been a better crowd than ’83. Good times…

181. UKAtty
    4:17 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

Before reading the comments my thoughts was the Florida game in 2003. Then I read some comments and saw many other people picked that game as well. My dad and I were sitting upper level and literally could not hear what the other was saying. We were yelling at each other side by side and could not make out a single word. Great crowd. Plus Florida was hated then. That was also Tubby’s best year.

182. UKBlueBlood81
    4:55 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

My votes for best crowd ever at Rupp (as determined by loudness and actual impact on the game):

1. LSU – 1981
    2. Florida – 2003
    3. UNC – 2011

Nevertheless, this year’s UNC game is the first time I’ve ever seen almost everyone stay to sing “My Old Kentucky Home.”

183. Ned Chase
    5:03 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

I have not been to very many games, but I did see one great game and the crowd was really loud. No one ever mentions this game. It was maybe the only big win BCG had at UK. 2008 when we beat Vandy in Rupp’s only double overtime game. Joe and Smooth played the entire 50 minutes, Pat Pat played close to that. It is hard to imagine crowds much better than that one. No one sat down and no one stoped yelling the whole game.

184. ShagOnSports
    5:19 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

UK vs Maryland in 98 was best crowd ever. 2nd is the coach that came after Eddies first appearance at Rupp.

185. CaytesBy5
    5:29 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

UNC 01 when Tay-Tay had his puppies set getting off the bus… And while the timing of this game may not be kosher to some cats fans… when IU beat duke in the 2001 NCAA tournament. Jay Williams jacked his free throws, leaving the arena sobbing like a baby in Coach Rat Boys arms. The arena was as loud as I have ever heard it. Pretty sure the only time ive seen cats fans and hoosiers hive-fiving in my life.

186. Bigeastwestnorthsouthmiddle
    5:44 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

1990, Reggie Hanson and D3 MIller are too much to handle for Shaq and Chris Jackson. That crowd was deafening for all 40 minutes

187. Tommy A.
    6:05 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

March 1981 vs SEC undefeated (17-0) LSU. I think it was a Sunday afternoon, and the house was rockin’ with Al McGuire, Billy Packer and Dick Enberg on NBC. Cats won by 2 with Sam Bowie blocking Howard Carter’s jumper in the last few seconds. A lot like Davis blocking Henson.

188. Tommy A.
    6:08 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

To comment #176. The LSU comeback was 1994 at LSU, not Rupp.

189. Bob Loblaw
    6:15 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

#140 I was in the band during the 1990 game versus LSU. It was the loudest and craziest I’ve ever seen Rupp. I know what you are talking about, about the Dale Brown episode. We were playing the theme to 2001 which leads up to On On, UofK (the band still does that to this day). I also remember that the cheerleaders started the C-A-T-S chant during a time out and then the crowd kept it going for a long while after the game started back up. Pitino tried to get the crowd to stop when one of the UK players was shooting free throws, but as soon as that player hit it, Pitino told us to keep going. I was at the 2003 Florida game and it doesn’t hold a candle to that UK/LSU game in 1990.

190. Tony Delk00
    6:29 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

I was there when Prince hit 5 three’s in a row against UNC, and that immediately comes to mind. Absolute insanity.

I remember the “walsch is g*y” chants. Not our classiest moment, but the crowd was pretty pepped for those florida games.

191. bcat
    7:03 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

There’s gotta be animosity for the best crowd. If Pitino had come back into Rupp that first time and beaten that team, everyone would have literally fallen out of their skins. There is a level of pure effort that a crowd puts into a must win game that can’t be matched with a cordial rivalry like UNC. Florida had it when they tried to claim #1 status with a player like Walsh. No one at the UNC game even felt it was a must win and you can tell the difference. It was loud though.

192. UibleedblueK
    7:07 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

I haven’t missed a game of significance since 2001, and I’ve never seen anything like the 2003 FL game. There was a lady beside me that was on the high side of 70 and her tail didn’t touch the seat the entire game, along with the rest of Rupp Arena. UNC in 2001 was close, and UNC this year was possibly closer. The FL crowed was the crowed by which all others will be measured.

193. Rinconluke
    7:15 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

The 2003 Florida game where the Gators were ranked #1, we demolished them and Matt Walsh’s self esteem.

194. GDOK
    7:17 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

By far LSU ’81!!! Only thing close was LSU ’90. Then a distant third was first regular season dream game. Everything else not even close.

195. iWantToBeTheDrewFranklin
    7:35 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

I think the best Rupp crowd could have been Cal’s first game against Ricky P and the cards in Rupp. Damn it was loud in there when boogie and swopeshier hit the floor.

196. KnowBodyKnows
    8:23 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

My favorite game and best crowd that I ever attended was the 2009/2010 game against UNC when we played at RUPP, it signified our rise back to top of college basketball… That John Wall steal and dunk turned the place into an uproar.

197. older fan
    8:32 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

I also vote for 1981 LSU. Joe B lobbied to get the band in the lower arena and somehow he managed to pull it off. I have a video of that game with fans wearing blue tuxes on the front row.

I also remember the Al McGuire remarks. My favorite from that game was when Packer was pulling a Vitale and started rambling about that conference on Tobacco Road. Al told him to stop stroking the ACC. Poor Billy was speechless

198. rsiever
    8:38 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

I was there for Maryland and the “Prince” game, but in terms of pure crowd volume and excitement, the 96 post-championship celebration was in a class of it’s own. When the bus pulled into Rupp, the crowd was WAY louder than anything i’ve ever heard during a game. I think the fact that it was a chance for the common fans to get in the building, and the release of several years of anguish that really set the crowd off.

199. catfan2000
    10:58 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

I have attended quite a few games over the years and it is difficult to pick a winner, but I would say it was the 1998 win over a Maryland team that featured Steve Francis. At the time Maryland was #1 or #2 and Kentucky was top 10.

200. Smackcats
    11:50 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

LSU game with Shaq, Stanley Roberts & Chris Jackson. Great atmosphere and a revenge game !

201. i hate the internet
    5:47 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

I was at the UNC where Prince hit 5 3’s. I was there when Florida came in at #1 and got demolished. And I was there when UK beat Maryland in 98. The 98 Maryland game wins hands down and it isn’t even close. All respect due to the Rupp crowd for the UNC game this year, but no way Rupp was louder than that 98 game. An AC/DC concert held in the engine of a 747 would be quieter than that game.

202. Jake
    1:03 am December 8, 2011 Permalink

As a current student who has attended every home game in the last 3 seasons and all so far this year, the loudest crowd in my memory was Billy G’s last year when Florida was in town. At the end of the game, we were up by one possession and Nick Calathes was fouled taking a 3 point attempt. The entire arena, including the normally statuesque lower rows, were on their feet yelling. I had not attended a UK game before the fall of 2008, but ive been to many loud games, and that one still stays in my memory as the loudest Ive heard.