Being your brother’s carrier

Kyle Wiltjer and Julius Mays bravely faced the media after the Cats’ loss and Nerlens’ injury. When asked about the team helping Nerlens off the court, Mays said it was second nature:

We are all brothers. Win, lose or draw, we always got each other’s back. We saw him (Noel) down, and just helped him off.”

Mays said that the team hasn’t been given any information about the injury but that their thoughts and prayers are with him:

“We’re not thinking about playing without Nerlens right now. We’re just hoping for the best.

Cal echoed that thought, telling a reporter who asked about the possibility of playing without Nerlens, “I’m not going to think about that right now. I’m thinking about the kid.”

Us too.

19 Comments for Being your brother’s carrier

1. Jus Sayin
    9:39 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

You never want to see anyone hurt but why did it have to be Nerlens?

2. Bojangles
    9:40 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

This moment proves that there are more important things in life than a game…

3. mashburnfan1
    9:40 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

Really feel bad for this kid. Looked nasty though, and I think it was the landing that did the damage, not the hit to padding. He landed first and that sudden stop did the damage. Sure looks bad but hoping for the best to you young man.

4. Rae
    9:41 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

Just the look on his face. Am I allowed to cry?

5. Hypertension
    9:41 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

Maybe the should look into not have 100 cameras sitting around goal. Kids don’t have anywhere to go in that situation except to run into the goal or everyone sitting around it.

6. Chris Cullum
    9:44 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

Feel so bad for the kid. I tore my ACL a year ago and I am hoping that is not the case here because it is a horrible injury to have. My heart dropped when I seen him go down cause he is hands down one of my favorite players to ever play here at UK, not only because of his play on the court but because all that he does off the court also. I really hope everything works out for him and hopefully its not to serious of an injury. I would hate for this to hurt his career in any way. Praying for you Nerlens

7. Otis
    9:44 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

5- very valid point. Moving back all of the cameras by even a few feet help significantly.

8. Jus Sayin
    9:45 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

5 I totally agree. Why the hell do we need that many cameras down there.

9. Otis
    9:47 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

*would

10. Chris Cullum
    9:48 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

Hope not but if it is an ACL injury, does Nerlens come back next year?

11. Shogan
    9:51 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

#4 I did cry

12. mashburnfan1
    9:51 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

This team was not that good, really who have we beat that is worth anything. I know we played UL tough but they were up big and maybe relaxed. We struggle vs bad teams and I told an Ohio St fan at work today we would lose by 20 and I was hoping it would be that close. We are just not good, this group did noy have IT. I like them, think are are good kids, just not a good team. Only thing keeping us alive is the SEC is horrible and college basketball in general is bad. Still will root for these kids but Archie and Alex make it hard to. Archie is selfish and is the only player I have ever seen get a charge on a 3 on 1 situation cause he would not pass. Alex is just basketball dumb and I swear I saw him miss a 2 foot shot today, he missed it by 3 feet.

13. Hypertension
    9:51 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

@10 I don’t think so.. this is the exact reason they should do away with the one-and-done rule. If anything this would kill any chance of any of them staying 2 years.

14. Nerlens
    9:54 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

I told them not to carry me, their weak a$$es will drop me.

15. Ky_99
    9:59 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

Well season over

16. Catlogic15
    10:04 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

Poythress, Goodwin, Harrow should be very ashamed.

Selfish fuc**ng weak-ass wimps.

Buying into team now since you busted up our best player you selfish pieces of sh*t.?

I’m sure you will not you selfish ass**les.

17. Oh no
    10:31 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

Hat’s off to the Gator fans, did’nt hear anything negative when Nerlins came off the court. It’s a shame that as much effort as he put’s out, Cal can’t get that kind of effort out of the rest of the team. I’ve NEVER seen a UK team just not even try. The last time the Gators went on a fast break and blew by UK player’s that were already down the court, Cal was sitting on the bench and was’nt getting on them. I guess you can’t coach effort. And WHAT THE HELL IS ARCHIE DOING? Turn backwards while jumping up and just throwing the ball up (could’nt even see the goal) hoping to draw a foul! WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!

18. Mike
    10:43 pm February 12, 2013 Permalink

16. You nailed it brother!!

19. Bluieville
    2:16 am February 13, 2013 Permalink

That basket support sure looked close and BIG. The supports at this pro game I’m watching sure look farther away. At least Donavan was classy. The Fla fans too. That’s a surprise.