Barnhart: “We’re in OK shape”

Kentucky took a swing at a new football season ticket package yesterday in the hopes of increasing sales and offering new opportunities in season ticket packaging. The three and four-game mini-packages are being offered to fans at a reduced price as opposed to buying the full season ticket package allotment. The Lexington Herald Leader dove into the reasoning behind the new offering, even quoting athletic director Mitch Barnhart and other UK spokesmen about the new process and the state of season ticket sales.

The result was not entirely convincing. UK spokesman Tony Neely offered up one reason for the mini-package option.

“We’ve seen a lot of other schools doing similar things and we wanted to offer something new to our fans.”

When asked more specifically by the Herald Leader about the renewal figures, Barnhart gave the following indication about the state.

“I’m not saying we’re in horrible shape; we’re in OK shape. We’re steadily selling. We’re down a little bit, but not horrible. We’re pretty steady during the summer and the numbers are just about where they were last year in terms of steady during the summer.”

Those surrounding the program are not saying that the new mini-packages are directly related to the current season ticket sales numbers. Other explanations have been offered, such as giving fans who might live far away a chance to see a sampling of games, instead of having to travel to Lexington for every game. The reduced prices are also an incentive and more economically friendly.

To read the entire article from the Herald Leader, click here.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

27 Comments for Barnhart: “We’re in OK shape”

1. 4 and 8
    11:37 am July 21, 2012 Permalink

First.

2. Wkydude
    11:57 am July 21, 2012 Permalink

Those are bologna responses. Sales must be way down. I know 8 other people who are season ticket holders. None of them renewed this year. Just wait and see how it looks on TV. We’ll look like Auburn home basketball games.

3. Name (required)
    12:08 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

Calling shenanigans on their responses. Remember when we as UK fans made fun of UL for doing same thing. Next thing you know, Kroger will be giving tickets away with the purchase of 2 12-packs

4. Shawon
    12:36 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

I think this is an interesting creative idea to sell some football tickets and put some butts in the seats this fall. I’m intrigued but I’m not sure if I’ll be able to attend any games at all.

Barnhart however needs to man up and tell it like it is or keep his mouth shut.

5. CatGrad7072
    12:58 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

Sales must really be bad or else nothing would have changed. I understand the ticket office is really hounding people to re-up. Like #3, I call BS.

6. Tony
    1:15 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

Gave up my tickets I had for the last 18 years and I know of 12 other seats that weren’t renewed. It’s funny that they’re acting like they care all of a sudden about the fans who travel from far away. The fact is it’s never been an issue before, and people who have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars over the years are sick of supporting a mediocre football program. I guess we always had hope before, but it has become obvious that UK is the one school that truly doesn’t know how to move their football program forward. If they do, then they’re hiding it from us for some reason.

7. jhnny
    1:48 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

I didn’t renew my tickets this year for a number of reasons. However…

Not sure why UK feels it necessary to avoid admitting the obvious. Look, we all love the University and the football team, whether we renewed or not. You don’t have to lie to your fans and loved ones. If ticket sales are down, just admit they are down. Its doesn’t take away anything from anyone.

By the way, the article also states that the LHL made a formal Open Records Request concerning season ticket renewals, and UK denied the request. Again, I ask, why? Why does it “take away” from UK or the administration to admit that ticket sales are down? Just admit it, and find out a way to get sales back up. The administration should stop trying to win a battle against the fans who are upset about the state of the program (ala Barnhart’s comments following last year’s Tennessee game), and just try to get the program back in shape. We all have the same goals…

8. Logic
    1:56 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

They will never admit it, but the ath dept and school have no intention whatsoever of doing what it will take to be competitive in FB in the SEC. But they need the dupes to keep buying tickets. The dupes are figuring this out and you see the results.

9. Tony
    2:06 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

#8- I agree. It just kills me because the fan support for UK Football has ALWAYS been phenomenal as far back as I can remember. People always think the fans here only care about basketball but that’s just simply not true. I think the majority of us crave a good football program too. I can’t even imagine the atmosphere we could create around here if we were consistently “in the hunt” in the SEC in football as well as basketball. Of course, we’ve already taken care of the basketball part!

10. theoledog
    2:16 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

I got a mini-package I’d like to give Barney….
    My opinion … he just flicked the bird at season ticket holders who’d already put up the money… Next year it might be worse… fans will hold out on a better deal… Some say it’s a “smart move”… I think not…

11. MtnCat
    2:18 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

UK doesn’t have a care about what anybody football thinks. The lost ticket revenue will more than be made up by the SEC revenue. Kentucky is olympic sports and a basketball brand. Football is too uncultured for the central Kentucky racing fans, we just tee up the football to cash that SEC check.

12. 2 Live Crew
    2:28 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

Our music will serve as uk’s theme song this year. That song is our hit “Doo doo brown.”

13. JBR
    2:50 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

Good posts…I am also a person that gave up my season tix (at a pretty decent donation level) and they have called me 4 times asking me to renew…not exactly something a program in good shape would do. Also, I even called back this week, thinking maybe I would get tix for a couple of games just to get to Lexington. They have numerous empty seats in the “good sections”, but the only way they would sell the mini packs was sticking them in the end zone, while the better seats remain empty. BIG mistake there…some of the ticket office people have an attitude about this, like a chip that I didn’t renew or something. I am done with football tix, even after Joker gets fired.

14. CatGrad7072
    3:18 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

#7. I guess if they admit ticket sales are down, they will also be admitting Joker was a bad hire. Big secret there!

15. Put in Richie
    3:33 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

8 – I agree. Let me just say that fans who didn’t renew are NOT sending a message. I’m not saying UK doesn’t care at all, but Joker’s future here will be based on wins and losses, not ticket sales. Here’s why, if we win 6 games and get back to a bowl game than he is as safe as ever. If we win 4 games or less than Joker being canned won’t be because of ticket sales or a letter to Mitch……it WILL be because he only won 3-4 games. Also, even if UK were to hire a new coach, they aren’t going to open their pocket book. They also aren’t going to compromise on allowing fans to attend football recruiting camps similar to Florida’s Friday Night Lights on UK’s campus. As far as facilities go, maybe in 20 years we will have something, but its definitely not in the budget the next few years.

16. MadTex
    3:41 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

BarnFart doesn’t know his head from a hole in the ground….UK Football is a JOKE!!!

17. Maybe, Barnhart should send out another copy of his letter to the UK football fans, like he did after UT game.

18. jacob
    4:03 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

you people are stupid uk football has had worse season than last theyve had seaqson like iu dont complain until then

19. Beavis
    4:34 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

Damn shame they don’t have spell check on here. # 18,,,,in spite of your problems with the English language,,,you are right,,,we have had worse seasons than last. Problem is,,, can’t remember any that are going to be worse than this one. Don’t think so,,,just wait 2 and 10 maybe.

20. UKIT
    5:20 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

When does the Board of Directors step in and do THEIR job? Everyone (except Barnhard) knew Joker was a bad hire, and wouldn’t work out. Don’t forget, Mitch also hired Billy Clyde. The ONLY way Barnhard should keep his job after the disastrous football season that is coming is if he can land Nick Sabin, yeah Nick Sabin.

Now Barnhart is lie’n to our faces about tickets. Everyone knows ticket sales are down. And everyone knows why. Joker.

Come on Board, MAN UP! Fire Barnhart and fire Joker.

21. jhnny
    6:28 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

#18- worse record- but last season was the most dismal season I have witnessed in years. Completely inept offensively, not ready to play, soft defense. I don’t know how we won so many games last year. It won’t happen this year- this year will be ugly.

Joker took a decent team his first year and underperformed. Last year the team was much worse and looked inept. This year will be even worse. Trend here? Why are we sticking with Joker?

22. Beavis
    6:33 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

Thats Nick Saban,,,,not Sabin. As far as the tickets,,,,they can say what ever they want,,,,when CWS is less than half full lets see what kind of positive spin our AD tries to put on it. Barnhart ( not Barnhard,,,or maybe Blowhard ) should be the first to go.

23. MadTex
    7:01 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

OK shape my arse!!! If you look past your nose BlowFart (oops I mean BarnFart) you would see the true state of UK Football – it really stinks you fool!!!!

24. Orval
    8:24 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

I’m sorry this particular statement may well be actually way out of relation, but my other half destroyed our other pc (I know.), I’m looking for a desktop computer repair service provider that is reliable in Palm Beach County. Recently I got my laptop repaired they charged me way too much and did a terrible job, so I’m in need of a really good supplier.I believe I discovered one appears good. Perhaps someone at this site might have had an past experience or can point me to one like this? It’s known as A Plus Computer Support 2300 Palm Beach Lakes Blvd. #101 West Palm Beach, FL, 33409 (561) 283-4034. I appreciate your advice!

25. Mike Leach
    10:25 pm July 21, 2012 Permalink

Too bad Mitch didn’t have the cajones to hire me. He wouldn’t have a season-ticket sales fiasco on his hands and have to resort to this mini-package stunt.

26. Common Sense
    3:21 am July 22, 2012 Permalink

Once I graduate, I will buy season tickets and I will never ever not re-new them, no matter what the reason, because I am a fan. Most people on here just don’t get it, and I don’t have enough time to explain everything too you. All I’m going to say is Joker deserves at least 4 years.

27. Lol