Bust out your Jay-Z bangers, because we are going to celebrate. Wednesday is the birthday of your favorite homeboy from Chapel Hill, Bomani Jones. Matt and Beisner are out trying to find the perfect last-minute gift at Wally World, so they dropped you off at Unca Fake Gimel’s tonight.
I just waxed the linoleum in the kitchen last weekend; I don’t want you guys breakdancing and hurting yourselves. (Warning: video may contain NSFW lyrics; I can’t tell since the dude is slurring so much.)
Be sure to send Bomani a message on his special day. To the news:
* The big news today was pigskin related: After today’s practice and end of training camp, Coach Rich “Paw-Paw” Brooks told reporters that it is “not out of the realm of possibility” that at least one and possibly both freshmen QBs Morgan Newton and Ryan Mossokowski would be redshirted this season. Brooks also announced that junior QB Will Fidler has earned the #2 quarterback position.
It wasn’t too long ago that people were openly predicting the end of the Hartline. How many games would it take? One, ta-hoo, three? With some affirmative comments (and tweets), the public opinion about Mike changed a bit. Just recently, it was discovered that Mike has grown the mark of powerful leaders. (By the way, if Mike doesn’t make EDSBS.com’s Mustache Wednesday today, my feelings will be hurt.) Now it appears that both of our great freshmen QBs — the now and future kings of Kentucky football — may sit out this year.
Does this mean that when Hartline goofs up, we’ll start hearing the clamoring for Cobb again across Commonwealth? I hope not.
(By the way, if you subscribe to the Cats Pause, Matt May has an excellent piece featuring quotes from Newton and Moss about their adjustment to the college game.)
* Basketball workouts begin tomorrow. Here’s your first look at the results from Patrick Patterson and Daniel Orton’s California vacation.
* Jeff Drummond of the Cats Pause is reporting tonight that Avery Williamson, a Rivals 3-star linebacker from Tennessee, is close to committing to the Wildcats. Williamson is also considering Vanderbilt, but has been impressed with the attention given to him by the Kentucky staff. ESPN says that Avery is also considering Ole Miss and Arksansas State, and, “has the athletic ability to be a major contributor to his team at the next level.”
Hopefully Avery will formally commit and join Kentucky’s fine tradition of linebackers.
* The Courier-Journal’s ban on the SEC isn’t stopping the Jody Demling Recruiting Train! ™ Jody confirmed with Stacey Poole Sr. that his son, 2010 target Stacey Pool, will visit UK’s campus. Poole Sr. told Jody, “I think Kentucky is No. 1 on his list at this point,” but is still considering Clemson, South Carolina, Oklahoma and the Hoosiers. Stacey had a great summer on the AAU circuit and was recently ranked #27 overall by Rivals. Our wonderful Recruiting Guru Dustin has been talking about Stacey all summer long — feel free to review.
* On the lady side of roundball, two of the UK Hoops incoming freshmen have deferred their enrollment until the Spring 2010 semester. The reason behind their delayed enrollment was not disclosed by UKAA. Pre-frosh Jeniece Johnson and Bernisha Pinkett are part of a recruiting class that was ranked #39 nationally by the All-Star Girls Report recruiting service. Not for sure when Bernisha and Jeniece will be eligible to play.
That’s all for now. We’ll have more for you throughout the day. Maybe Bomani will swing by and pontificate about how awesome it is to be him. If you want that encore, you better scream until your mouth is sore.